Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I've haven't had any riders give me hard time on the trail. However we bust each others chops on what we ride. When that's over we shut up and ride..... well most of us....
    Last edited by bgfthntr; 07-09-2014 at 10:49 AM.
    Adirondack Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Comments about how my bike is "old school", or "holy crap, you rode that, on that?!?!", and asking when I'm going to "upgrade".

Funny how many of those idiots I've ridden off my wheel lately.
    I get that comment more than any others about my little wheels.

I'm a strange one in these parts, though. I ride an 11 year old 26" wheeled bike that's been upgraded on a fairly regular basis, so most components are only a few years old at most. The bike doesn't look as old as it is. Most people around here are on the 29er bandwagon, though, so they notice the difference in wheel size. I also ride plaforms and 5.10's as of this year, so right now most people's attention is focused on my pedals, because clipless pedals are viewed like gospel in my neck of the woods.

I work in a shop part time and I love the comments and questions sometimes. My shop only has high end 29ers and 27.5 mtb's. The only 26ers are less than about $600. A guy was asking me the other day what wheel size I recommended. He kinda did a double-take when I told him "whatever you feel most comfortable on". I think he'd gotten some line about the wheel size he HAD to ride from other shops.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Never...it's a pretty mixed bag where I ride in South Texas. I can say that most of the hardtails seem to be 29ers. The FS bikes tend to lean more toward 26ers.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

dwt
    mtbr member

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?!?!

GOOD GOD!

RIDE WHAT YOU RIDE AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT WHAT ANYBODY THINKS!

sorry about the shouting but god and baby jesus help us all...when is this nonsense going to stop?
    This. I ride a 1x10 650b and am not smug about anything. Who f'ing cares? It's about what floats YOUR boat. If I tried to get an ego about a 26'er chances are they would huck over something I couldn't push my bike and walk down.

A wheel won't make anyone a more skillful rider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Funny thing about that...

The only wheel size comment I've ever gotten riding my Yeti ASR-5 (26" wheels) is "Hey, is that one of those 650b bikes?" I've gotten that on several occasions.

I'm guessing my height (5' 6") makes my wheels look bigger than they are. The fact that Yeti's are relatively uncommon must make people think my bike is cutting-edge new so it MUST have those new wheels.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Professional Dirt Sampler
    At the last Socal Enduro I overheard a group of riders at the finish debating wheel sizes. One of them actually said "If you see someone still riding a 26er you should laugh at them." A couple of the other guys agreed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This would make a great new South Park episode. Smug part 2.
    Hey are you riding the new 29 or 27.5??? Sure am!!
    Thanks!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah but that's Socal (the epicenter of caring what other people think), you have to consider the source. I'm in Norcal, and I just bought another 26'er. I know, gasp!

Quote Originally Posted by z400jt View Post
    At the last Socal Enduro I overheard a group of riders at the finish debating wheel sizes. One of them actually said "If you see someone still riding a 26er you should laugh at them." A couple of the other guys agreed.

Co Springs
    If they are smug about 26" wheels maybe the trick is to change the subject.

I can imagine watching them pi$$ themselves laughing at my Motorola brick phone.

It's still in the house somewhere spewing radiation.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    When I see a 29er rider, I throw rocks at them I've just removed in order to sanitize the trail. When they are stunned I knock them over like sleeping cows, and piss on their handlebars - while standing in the middle of the trail. Then I light some trees on fire, shout Enduro! and rip down the hill, making sure to knock over anyone climbing up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin View Post
    Has this whole 26, 27.5, 29 brought more smugness towards the 26 rider?
    not here in Arizona... I have yet to see someone seriously judge someone based on their wheel size...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    When I see a 29er rider, I throw rocks at them I've just removed in order to sanitize the trail. When they are stunned I knock them over like sleeping cows, and piss on their handlebars - while standing in the middle of the trail. Then I light some trees on fire, shout Enduro! and rip down the hill, making sure to knock over anyone climbing up.
    Hey man that's my move
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4rtXYgqaPQ

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I ride what I can the way I can and for the most part keep up just fine. 90% of my riding speed is self imposed either by, fitness, skills, or bravery. The last 10% at best could be impacted by my bike.
    i suppose it depends on the terrain, but i'd have to disagree with this based on my own experience.

after riding my 26" Stumpy hardtail since 2001, i recently purchased a spankin new FS 27.5 Transition Bandit & know for a fact that i'm a better rider on it (descending anyways) i go faster, jump higher, mow over everything (almost) than i ever could on my old bike. granted, if i go on 'standard xc' type trails, my new ride feels like a howitzer at a knife fight.. just a case of the right tool for the job.

as for haters... hell, i took it as a compliment when people would look at my old bike & say 'you ride that up here?'
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    I can barely go for a ride without running into some level of condescension from riders on "modern" bikes. Comments about how my bike is "old school", or "holy crap, you rode that, on that?!?!", and asking when I'm going to "upgrade".

Funny how many of those idiots I've ridden off my wheel lately.
    Just goes to show you... It's not the bike; it's the rider, regardless of wheel size.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    Yeah but that's Socal (the epicenter of caring what other people think), you have to consider the source. I'm in Norcal, and I just bought another 26'er. I know, gasp!
    Heh. I was born in NorCal, left the state, and later returned to attend college in SoCal. What culture shock: everything revolving around appearance, fashion, peer group and public opinion. The epitome of superficiality. Yuck. Learned my lesson

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Remember most people in SoCal come from
    somewhere else, so don't blame us.

Hell Track
    I live in Socal and Can give a rat's poop pipe what anyone rides. I don't roll with those kind of superficial folks who do. I can easily picture the group Chuckling over people who ride 26" wheels

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?-cardigan.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a 26 and a 29. They are both Ellsworths, AKA Worthless's, and if anything, people give me grief for the maker, not the wheel size.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Yes, I did experience smug on trails.
    From 26" riders.
    Telling me how the whole 650b is an industry created BS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Yes, I did experience smug on trails.
    From 26" riders.
    Telling me how the whole 650b is an industry created BS.
    Wow, I had no idea. I feel so, so sorry for you.

Has anyone riding a 26 experienced smug on the trail?-854c3fcf8ccb70a52c2e1b3a50582d6a45799e1afc908ee620168a282b15e33a.jpg
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

Never Forget 9-11
    I just want to thank the OP for starting yet another wheel size thread. I feel certian that this will settle the debate on a world wide level once and for all.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member

Yeah one time a chick on the trails said my 26" wheels were not big enough to ride with her. So she rode with another guy that had a 29er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetimnstr575 View Post
    Yeah one time a chick on the trails said my 26" wheels were not big enough to ride with her. So she rode with another guy that had a 29er.

You're too good for the likes of her.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    You're too good for the likes of her.
    Thanks lol. I tried to tell her it's not the size of the wheel that matters but how fast you turn it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can have a problem with holding in the smug and other remarks but it happens with any sized wheel. That goes for the wheels I'm spinning or seeing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast