Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hardtail XC photo thread

304K views 876 replies 451 participants last post by  Vic-20 
#1 ·
All right yall im looking for inspiration for a XC built for the spring, lets see those hardtail cross country bikes you have stored away after that long winter.

#329 ·
ritoh said:
I'll play. Here's mine, it's a '00 S-Works HT.
Have added a few upgrades to keep it fresh. Currently at 18.5lbs/8393g.

Cool to see everyone enjoying their hardtails.
Sad, but I hardly see people riding them anymore...love mine though!

really? not too many hardtail riders near you? maybe it's a trend to ride a FS bike.:confused: there are always a handful of riders who are worried more about how they look than about the actual riding experience. i've talked to a few riders on the trails who had FS bikes and asked them where they go and after they told me, there's no way you need a FS bike to ride those trails. :skep: unless you're doing 5 foot jumps and challenging territory with tons of drops and rocky areas, i can't justify buying a FS bike.

#331 ·
09' DB Response

This sucker handled well on its first 4 or 5 hour mountain ride. :eek: It was nothing but stock components then but now it's getting upgraded and it's nearly finished. I will re-post newer pictures when I get the new levers/white housing.

Now if someone could point me to white disc rims... :D

#332 ·
roc865 said:
really? not too many hardtail riders near you? maybe it's a trend to ride a FS bike.:confused: there are always a handful of riders who are worried more about how they look than about the actual riding experience. i've talked to a few riders on the trails who had FS bikes and asked them where they go and after they told me, there's no way you need a FS bike to ride those trails. :skep: unless you're doing 5 foot jumps and challenging territory with tons of drops and rocky areas, i can't justify buying a FS bike.
Yeah, I'm in So Cal, and the majority of riders on the local trails that I ride are on FS bikes (although the trails I ride are far from what would be considered 'challenging' or 'rocky with lots of drops'...) As you mentioned, perhaps some of it is just a trend. But I think alot of riders choose FS simply for the comfort (nothing wrong with that). Obviously a HT is a harsher ride, but to me it's just more fun. I come from a roadie background, and pedaling the HT just feels more natural. Maybe with the 29er trend catching on, we'll see some 29'er HT's around here.

#337 ·
ritoh said:
A night century ride? that's awesome :thumbsup:

Btw, how did your RK's hold up? running them tubed or tubeless?

Mine have been great so far (although some complain about the thin sidewalls and difficulty setting them tubeless)
That's right, candy bars :) but I was riding hard enough that I decided to stick to energy drinks and PowerBars, instead of trying to digest candy bars, so I ate them once I got home :)

The RK Supersonics held up great! The "pockets" in the tread blocks have disappeared but they're not worn out, nor are they losing tread blocks off the casing, so I'm really pleased with that purchase.

#343 ·
gomer hardtale said:
Man, it really sucks that the hardtail is DEAD!
Not dead, just kinda asleep. MTB and bicycle trends come and go, and look at all the MTB stuff at NAHBS, most were hardtails, the 29er trend is even dying down a little (thank god, lol.) I must admit though, I have fallen to some trends too as of late, like the townie vintage styling, but when it comes to my mountian bike, a 26" HT is hard to beat, be it rigid, SS, or geared. Never had the need for a dually, not my kinda riding. Anyways..... Lots of nice stuff here. Dude, that YETI IS F"N SWEET. I wish I never sold my ProFro

#345 ·
jmadams13 said:
Not dead, just kinda asleep. MTB and bicycle trends come and go, and look at all the MTB stuff at NAHBS, most were hardtails, the 29er trend is even dying down a little (thank god, lol.) I must admit though, I have fallen to some trends too as of late, like the townie vintage styling, but when it comes to my mountian bike, a 26" HT is hard to beat, be it rigid, SS, or geared. Never had the need for a dually, not my kinda riding. Anyways..... Lots of nice stuff here. Dude, that YETI IS F"N SWEET. I wish I never sold my ProFro
I was kidding about the DEAD part. Merely a stab at the establishment that thinks FS is the only way to go.
The Yeti used to run the Spinergy wheelset, i thought it was sweet. But, i have to say, TI hardtail is my all time favorite. I kick myself for selling my steel hardtail. Live and learn i guess.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.