Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hardtail XC photo thread

304K views 876 replies 451 participants last post by  Vic-20 
#1 ·
All right yall im looking for inspiration for a XC built for the spring, lets see those hardtail cross country bikes you have stored away after that long winter.

#312 ·
Just browsing through this thread and noticed only 1 person was using a mud guard. Why no love for the mud guards? Is it not cool?

Some pretty sweet rides posted and such variety which is cool

I'll get a pic of mine up shortly. 2009 Trek 6700 with upgrades to Reba XX 20mm TA, XTR FD, Sram X9 shifters, WTB velociraptor tires, and Fizik gobi xm seat. I am dying to get out for the first ride of the year and getting muddy.

Cheers

#317 ·
lseaward said:
Just browsing through this thread and noticed only 1 person was using a mud guard. Why no love for the mud guards? Is it not cool?
Various reasons, I think:

- the uncoolness is one
- many don't like to ride at all when conditions are wet and dirty. Depending on your location, riding in the wet may cause severe damage to trails too
- mudguards is another thing that can break, get snagged on something, fall off... If you don't need it, better leave it at home.

Now that I'm here, I might as well post a pic from last summer:

#318 ·
perttime said:
Various reasons, I think:

- the uncoolness is one
- many don't like to ride at all when conditions are wet and dirty. Depending on your location, riding in the wet may cause severe damage to trails too
- mudguards is another thing that can break, get snagged on something, fall off... If you don't need it, better leave it at home.
AND: you take the mudguard off before taking the foto and put it back on afterwards.

#323 ·
I'm just getting back into riding after about 12 years off and finally got out a few days ago in wet/muddy conditions. When I got back home it looked like I had a diarrhea bomb go off - mud was every where. I went out and picked up a $20 mud guard for the next ride.

I can see later in year, when it's dry, not needing the mud guard and that some trails don't want you riding when it's that wet. I don't really know any actual maintained trails in Mississauga (Canada) but have been able to find a few spots along a river near my place that look pretty decent - not sure where they end but isn't that the joy of riding.

I take a few pics tonight and post the new ride

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.