Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Happy focking New Year.

3K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  jparker164 
#1 ·
I put together an early ride on New Year's Day.

Someone replied, "I'm in, as long as it's not 40 degrees and raining."

At 7am as we loaded the bikes it was a balmy 35 degrees, but no rain.

Fast forward to the trailhead and it was a lovely 38 degrees but still no rain, even though we had driven througha decent deluge on our way up the valley.

As we climbed the sun busted through the fog every now and then and it was plenty warm.

When we got near the first summit, the fog turned into clouds, the temps dropped and it started pouring.

So while shivering in the rain up top we eventually decided to head back down instead of pushing through.

Into the fog (at least it was warmer)...

"I think my hands are frozen"

The post-ride payoff warmed a few bellys.

Just when we were strating to feel warm again,we passed this roadie and a roadie tandem in the midst of a cloudburst. Damn that looked cold.

See less See more
#3 ·
Pete said:
I put together an early ride on New Year's Day.

Someone replied, "I'm in, as long as it's not 40 degrees and raining."

At 7am as we loaded the bikes it was a balmy 35 degrees, but no rain.

Fast forward to the trailhead and it was a lovely 38 degrees but still no rain, even though we had driven througha decent deluge on our way up the valley.

As we climbed the sun busted through the fog every now and then and it was plenty warm.

Absolutely great images....my compliments

#5 ·
brianc said:
you're distroying the trails!!! Stay locked in your basement the next time you feel the urge to thrash something.

if you notice the trail it is all rock. all but maybe 1/2 milke of the trail is on bedrock, there is no destroying that trail. and it is a lot more technical when it is wet, slick as all hell on that bed rock

#6 ·
Zuestman said:
if you notice the trail it is all rock. all but maybe 1/2 milke of the trail is on bedrock, there is no destroying that trail. and it is a lot more technical when it is wet, slick as all hell on that bed rock
uhm... you missed the fact he was being sarcastic.

#7 ·
Zuestman said:
brianc said:
you're distroying the trails!!! Stay locked in your basement the next time you feel the urge to thrash something.

Looks to me like all those careless people riding it while wet pushed all the dirt off and ruined it for those of us that like nice smooth rock free trails.

:rolleyes:

#12 ·
A bit of a drive

AZ Mikey said:
Where was this ride?
I spent the last week (26th-31st) in Alameda and Galt wondering how far away the riding areas were. The rain was pretty annoying last week, hardly a break in the rain the entire time we were there.
About 90 min from Alameda and 2 hours or more from Galt. Starts in Calistoga at the top end of Napa Valley.

Funny weather though. I was in Rockville and we had a mostly sunny day. It dumped on the way home though and partially cleaned the bike.

Werner

#17 ·
Well sorry Mr. Perfect!

Pete said:
Why are so many posts ruined by newbie comments like this?

There should be a minimum post count required to post.
I'm sorry I offended your sense of MTBR dignity, Mr. Perfect.

I'll just go away and not post here anymore.

I didn't try to mess things up but I do that some times. Sorry.

#22 ·
fock that

Pete said:
Why are so many posts ruined by newbie comments like this?

There should be a minimum post count required to post.
Pete...

takes good pictures (and videos), but easily gets his feathers ruffled

if Pete would chill as well as he seems to ride and shoot, Pete maybe be on to something

besides, it's spelled "f u c k i n g"

bring on the newbie comments!

#23 ·
Variety of places.

AZ Mikey said:
Any recommendations for riding closer to Alameda and Galt? I'd like to take my bike on the next trip and try to squeeze in a ride or two.
How far do you want to drive?
Hunt up Finch Platte for Galt area. I don't know the area at all.
For Alameda... Rockville is under an hour away. Skyline about an hour and change. Tamarancho about an hour. I've not ridden in the South Bay for ages so can't speak to that area. Fire roady stuff abounds on Mt Tam and Mt Diablo.
JRM is from Alameda so can give better time estimates.
When's your next trip up? Let ppl know and you'll get hooked up somehow.

Werner

#25 ·
TrailNut said:
Pete...

takes good pictures (and videos), but easily gets his feathers ruffled

if Pete would chill as well as he seems to ride and shoot, Pete maybe be on to something

besides, it's spelled "f u c k i n g"

bring on the newbie comments!

WHOOSH!!!!!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.