Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yummy

Great weekend, great riding ... and my last ride for awhile

Hey gang!! Guess what? Yep, I weaseled my way into the Knolly bikes test riding crew on the weekend! Wow, was the weather great!! Definitely the most beautiful weekend of 2004 for the Vancouver area to date.

So, we did a couple of days riding. Knolly bikes blah blah stable blah blah blah handling, blah nimble blah blah blah. It's all been said, right? Everybody needs to run out and buy one. Yeah even all you singlespeeders, weight weenies, cruisers, 29ers, 49ers and 69ers.

I even managed to get one pretty decent photo of Penny (red) getting some light under the tires, although we were having too much fun to stop for pics very often.

On Sunday, I showed up again for another quick lap on a test bike. Now, I was actually on a different bike than on the first day, and it was set up a little differently than the other. Just minor things, like the stem was a little higher, it has an 888 fork and the brake lever reach was set a little longer. Nothing major to prevent a great riding experience.

During the initial descent, I was having a little trouble lofting the front wheel on the drops, so we made some adjustments mid-ride. Once we were moving again, all seemed well.

Moving along, we came upon a ladder to drop that I've done several times in the past. It's probably the toughest move on this medium difficulty Shore trail with about 4ft of air into a fairly jumbly bunch of rocks. Since I was on a new bike, I figured I'd ride up to it and commit to the move only if I felt really balanced and comfortable. There's a bit of a slow speed left turn on the ladder that you need to clean before the drop and that's the last chance to bail out.

Well, I got onto this thing and quite frankly, I've never felt more solid, balanced, stable, etc. going into this move, so I let 'er rip! Yeehaw and all that!!

The next memory I have is of me lying on my back with the wind knocked out of me, trying to communicate with my friends that nothing's broken and able to produce nothing but a pathetic gurgling sound. Apparently my front wheel plummeted to the ground so fast it looked like a magnet sucked it down. After getting assessed from head to toe (I think it was DaveK holding my head in the c-spine position), I decided it was time to move. Also, the rock poking against my ribs was getting pretty uncomfortable.

There were definitely a LOT of sore body parts yelling for attention, but all I could do for the moment was sit up and let my vision clear up. That was a nasty one! I did some more self-assessment and decided to walk out. It was only about 5-10 minutes back up the trail, then a fairly easy double-track back down to the cars.

At a clinic, the doctor thought I was okay, but I should go for some spinal x-rays just to be safe. Since I managed to crack a DH helmet with the top of my head, he figured there could be a spinal injury somewhere. So, off to the hospital for a full set of spinal pics, all the way along, front view, side view - must have been at least a dozen x-rays taken. Chest, too, cause I took a pretty good impact against the stem.

Well, as it turns out, I did in fact hit pretty hard and caused a "wedge compression" of my L1 vertebra. I got scheduled to go back to the hospital the next day for a CT scan, to make sure there weren't any other surprises hiding in there, waiting to crack open the next time I turn my head.

On Monday, got the CT scan and it was good news. No other complications, the compressed disc is stable and my only problem now is that there'll be a few weeks of intense pain until the healing process moves along. So, looks like I'm off the bike for a minimum of 4 weeks, then light spinning only. Doc says 6 weeks for complete healing of the disc.

Looks like I'll have a little free time to surf MTBR!!

See y'all,

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

i worship Mr T

bummer!!

i feel for you Ken. what is it with Noel and spinal injuries?! sheesh!

heal quick!!!

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

There's no app for this.

eeeyoewch...

Glad you're' OK Ken. I missed the actual event but saw the video at 11 (a.m.) I'm sure it'll turn up here soon. Heal up, T3's, get ready to spin the seawall on your Moko².

I better log off so you can plug up MTBR with non-rider type drivel.

Seriously, glad you're OK. Jim

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Glad to hear that there isn't any permanent damage and that time will heal your injury.

I'd heard from others on the ride about your crash, and how scary it looked.

Let me know if I can help.

Get better soon!

banned
    [size=4]We have a piper down... I repeat, a piper is do-wn.[/size]

JFR
    mtbr member
    Nice recap Ken, sorry it included an injury... heal fast.

Yay! Bikes !

you have no choice ... SUE KNOLLY BIKES !!!

wait, you weren't in the USA ... never mind.

Sorry to hear about your injury, and I'm glad they weren't more serious.
    I hope the pain subsides sooner than expected and you're back on the bike sooner as well.
    Nick.

mtbr member
    craaaaap! I won't whine about my sore lower back then! hope you heal fast!

mtbr member

Glad you are OK Ken...

It sure was tough completing that ride knowing that one of the crew was injured. Glad to hear you are fine, and look forward to seeing you on the trails in May.

TJ

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Phew. Glad to hear it is only 6 weeks for recovery. It is roughly a year ago that I was on a ride that ended in someone paralysed for life after a freak accident. Don't want to hear about another spinal injury in this sport.
    Wibble

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Yikes! I thought anyone would be infallible on a Knollyİ bike. It felt so smooth & stable. (Maybe Noel will name his next model "The Pope" - "Y'know, its infallible"). Heal up and get back out there soon (but not too soon). Sounds to me like the doctor is prescribing road riding. What'cya gonna get? Huh? Huh? D.
    You be you. I'll be riding.

Did you do a demo ride too?

Am I the only local who hasn't tried one yet?
    (I'm scared to actually, as I can't afford another new bike this year.)

beer thief
    Glad to hear you're relatively OK, Ken. Kind of scary anyway.

Rest up and milk it for all the sympathy you can get, eh?

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Did you do a demo ride too?

Am I the only local who hasn't tried one yet?
    (I'm scared to actually, as I can't afford another new bike this year.)
    I met the group on the Baden Powell climbing up to Pangor (I was with another group riding CBC/Corkscrew/Pingu). Rode about 100 ft on 006_007's demo. Felt great. Talked to Noel about the frame-only aspect and what I would need to buy after stripping parts from the Stinky (eg stem, rear hub, front dereilleur, seatpost). Don't know if I can work the financial side. (After all, I *DO* need a new frame). D.

LOL! I like your new signature. Wouldn't that be worms, though?

Why would you need a new stem? If you use the same fork, is that due to different top tube length? I'd guess the medium Trevor was on would be small for you.

I didn't realize that the V-tach used a wider than standard rear hub.

mtbr member

Sorry to hear about your Crash.

It's always a dangers sport. Most of the time we walk away unharm. But every once in a while we hit somthing hard that stops the bouncing. Heal up hope to see you on the trails later in the year.

Dazed and Confused
    Remember, the 888 only helps if the front wheel lands before you do.

I'm glad to hear the prognosis is good. Obviously you made appropriate calls with your post crash care. Do take it easy as you get back into things. Does you Dr. know how heavy an ff helmut is?
    Is ibuprofen considered a recreational drug?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am glad your going to be ok. Take it easy on those stunts....I want to be able to bomb down some singletrack with you again.

Your Customer Sales Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    LOL! I like your new signature. Wouldn't that be worms, though?

Why would you need a new stem? If you use the same fork, is that due to different top tube length? I'd guess the medium Trevor was on would be small for you.

I didn't realize that the V-tach used a wider than standard rear hub.
    Not sure about Knolly's comments ... just going from memory. Here is the parts kit offered by Knolly:

http://www.knollybikes.com/msrp.html

Sizing is a little touch-and-go - I believe JimC was riding a large, which all agreed fit him better. (I think that's what happened).

Signature was something this old guy hiking up Severed said to Matt and me while we stopped to talk. You have so say it in a German accent for full effect. D.

There's no app for this.

yep large

technically a medium is right but, if i sit on each one, the medium cockpit is too small for my torso. I'm on a large Bullit and lg Enduro as well. Jim (short stubby legs, monster long torso)C

mtbr member

Glad you are okay...

I still cringe everytime I think about the crash. This morning I was going to send you an email about getting the video to you; since I'm probably riding with Trevor again on Saturday I figured I would just give him the disks then.

Take it easy and heal. Hope to see you on the trails some this summer.

Scott
    "Without the ability to make moral distinctions based on motive, consequences, the ethical constructs of various parties, everything is equal, and you end up with people like Woody Allen: a tiny speck of compacted narcissism, revolving around the dead sun in an empty universe." - James Lileks

mtbr lurker

Woah, scary.

Crazy action there Ken. I hope you heal quickly, and heal well. I almost came over for a test ride a couple weekends ago. Good luck on the recovery.

Reminds me of a certain ride/crash I had on Pink Starfish a few years ago.

greg

Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Hey gang!! Guess what? Yep, I weaseled my way into the Knolly bikes test riding crew on the weekend! Wow, was the weather great!! Definitely the most beautiful weekend of 2004 for the Vancouver area to date.

Looks like I'll have a little free time to surf MTBR!!

See y'all,

Kn.

MTBR member since 1998

Holy Headplants, Batman...

Nathan and JimC called to tell me about your crash. I'm happy to know it wasn't as bad as initally thought.
    Kudos to the c-spine team. Having smart people around after a crash can make all the difference between a minor and major injury and recovery.
    Maybe now you will learn to walk all technical stuff, and keep your wheels on the ground where they belong.
    Stop by for a beer when you get the video so I can show Jani. She needs to see crashes like that to uderstand why I need new bike stuff.
    Take care,
    Tim
    Yes I'm a smooth rider. Bowling ball falling down the stairs smooth.

Quote: Godzilla "...owning a Knolly would be the cycling equivalent of having Nichole Kidman and Angelina Jolie show up together on my doorstep."

www.knollybikes.com

Des(s)ert Rat
    4 weeks? That will be gone in a hurry, really, although during the 4 weeks it can be difficult. I hope you heal quickly without complication.

mtbr member
    Take 'er easy for a while Ken and heal up 110%.....we's need you primed for Whistler. Glad you're ok.

M

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast