mtbr dismember

Great Tahoe ride

Yesterday (7/18) I had a great Tahoe ride with Joe@MBD.com. He wanted to do a loop that included Dardanells Lake and that just happened to fit nicely as a short out and back addition to my usual Armstrong Pass loop. From Oneidas Road we climbed over Armstrong Pass, out to Scotts Lake, did an out and back on the Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) to Dardanells Lake, climbed up the TRT to Freel Meadows, and went back down Armstrong Pass. With a nasty hike-a-bike, seemingly endless climbing in warm temperatures, and having to stop and wait for me a lot, this ride is not for everyone. But Joe loves any kind of riding and he really enjoyed it.

I usually do an out and back to the Pacific Crest Trail, but the out and back to Dardanells Lake is a lot easier, and the Lake is quite beautiful. Anywhere along the route it was moist there were spectacular wildflower displays. As always, the climb from Hwy 89 at 7,200 ft. to Freel Meadows above 9,400 ft. was a killer. Joe is much faster than me so I told him to continue from the bottom of Armstrong down The Connecter, Corral and Powerline, where I met him in my car. The temperature was in the 30's at the start, but it warmed into the 90's on the big climb. Fortunately I suggested we take extra liquids and it paid off.

Colombians on a big US road trip.

Colombians and Joe on a big US road trip.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 07-19-2013 at 05:50 PM.

mtbr member
    love seeing the pics in your posts....thanks for sharing that!

mtbr member

A Great Ride with Wherewolf

This was my 4th ride with the Wherewolf. Each has been long, scenic, and well planned.

This time he took me on one of his usual loops plus an extra trek to Dardenelles Lake. Once again, I felt honored to share the trail with him. He is correct … I did have to wait for him some … but that in no way detracted from the experience. He has a wealth of knowledge about many different topics and, lucky for me, does not hesitate to teach me.

I have included some of my photos … and although they may not be as high a quality as Steve’s, might give you a slightly different perspective of the ride.

My mileage is different than his as I rode the Armstrong Connector and Corral trails while Steve loaded his bike and drove down to pick me up.

DSC03626
    Wherewolf in Action

DSC03627

DSC03635
    Mother Nature Moving Back In

DSC03643

DSC03644
    Getting Firewood for Next Winter

DSC03645
    Scott's Lake ... Yuck!

DSC03646

DSC03657

DSC03663
    Dardenelles Lake

DSC03666

DSC03667

DSC03668

Untitled
    Eric the "Zombie Killer Boss" on TRT

Untitled

mtbr dismember

Elevation

I was surprised by the differences in our elevation gains so I looked at your Garmin Connect data. You should not enable elevation corrections. That is for non-barometric altimeters. Our 800's have barometric altimeters. Click on the question mark next to it for an explanation.