Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Great mountain biking and skiing locations?

So I have read through the thread Best place to live and mountain bike???? and was hoping to add skiing and snowboarding into the mix without hijacking the tread I thought I would start a new one.
    So where are the great locations to live, mountain bike and ski/snowboard?
    I am hoping to spend a year somewhere different where I can do some riding and snowboarding.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by pow77; 05-08-2013 at 03:30 AM.
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Durango

mtbr member
    I have heard great things about Durango. Whats the snow like?
    I forgot to mention Im from Australia, nowhere near the mountains. But have visited Canada, Japan, Colorado (Summit county) and New England. We are thinking somewhere in the USA as we can get a 1 year visa.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tahoe

mtbr member
    I would think Winter Park Colorado would rank pretty high for both. I haven't mountain biked Durango, only been there once in the winter, but it's a pretty sweet town. Bozeman Montana also probably ranks pretty high, but probably had too short of a mountain bike season- it stays cold there for a while.

Self Inflicted
    Apr 2010
    If i were you Id go where the skiing is good. any area that has good mtns for skiing undoubtedly has good mtn biking as well.

The three I would pick are
    summit county colorado
    Park city ut
    lake tahoe ca

mtbr member
    I would love to check out Tahoe, Its definitely on the list. My girlfriend really wants to check out San Fransisco so thats also on the list. I know its not close to the mountains but she really likes the idea of spending some time in a city, as we are from a small coastal surf town. (Byron Bay if you want to know). Thanks for the ideas guys.

mtbr member
    I lived in Bozeman for 6 years; the summers are very nice, the town is great. The mountain biking is a bit limited. The mountain biking season is pretty similar to the higher elevations of Utah and Colorado. I think the skiing is consistently better in the mountains around Salt Lake City, and the Park City, Utah area has over 300 miles of singletrack. 30 miles from an international airport with 7 or 8 major ski areas within 45 minutes of that airport...pretty hard to beat. But, gotta go to the liquor store for real beer, wine and booze.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    But, gotta go to the liquor store for real beer, wine and booze.
    Ha ha in Australia the liquor store is the only place you can get booze!
    Will look into Bozeman and Park City. Thanks
    I have also just completing a degree in Environmental Science so would love to get some experience in that field (maybe an internship) and even do some trail work volunteering as a way to learn more about trail building and design, as its much more limited down here.
    But also keen to hear on any places that just rock in general anywhere in the world!
    Very keen to check out NZ?
    Last edited by pow77; 05-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    I have to get to NZ someday!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Revelstoke BC.

Skiing: Arguably the best ski hill in North America. And with out a doubt the best ski touring.

Mountain bike: Huge trail net work; everything from incredible XC to massive DH trails. The ride community is top notch.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

tg
    mtbr member
    Eagle county Colorado....Vail / Beaver Creek and gobs of singletrack. We have a long mtb season for the mountains and some of the best skiing in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Hmmm So many amazing places coming up. Always wanted to check Revelstoke out for the snow but didnt realize it has great mountain biking also.
    Visited Vail/Beaver in winter and really liked the snowboarding. Gobs of single track you say

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Revelstoke BC.

Skiing: Arguably the best ski hill in North America. And with out a doubt the best ski touring.

Mountain bike: Huge trail net work; everything from incredible XC to massive DH trails. The ride community is top notch.
    On my way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pow77 View Post
    I would love to check out Tahoe, Its definitely on the list. My girlfriend really wants to check out San Fransisco so thats also on the list. I know its not close to the mountains but she really likes the idea of spending some time in a city, as we are from a small coastal surf town. (Byron Bay if you want to know). Thanks for the ideas guys.

Tahoe is absolutely awesome for both mtb and skiing. The bay area is only about 4 hours away, and there are awesome trails on the nevada side of the lake also, so if you go, check it all out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Revelstoke BC.

Wow. That place is gorgeous. If u find a job or don't need to work looks like a nice place

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have lived in both Colorado and in the Bay Area of California. In my opinion, the skiing and mountain biking are way better in Colorado. In Colorado the snow is fluffier and it never rains during ski season. There is a vastly greater number of mountain bike trails in Colorado and you also have desert riding in Fruita and across the state line in Moab. San Francisco is a world class city and California has it's own charms, but if we are talking mountain biking and skiing, then there is no question at all - Colorado wins. (Another consideration might be the cost of living. Mountain towns are notoriously expensive, but if you lived in the Denver area it would be a lot cheaper than anywhere in California. You would have access to a lot of good trails and skiing would only be 1 1/2 hours away).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pow77 View Post
    I have heard great things about Durango. Whats the snow like?
    I forgot to mention Im from Australia, nowhere near the mountains. But have visited Canada, Japan, Colorado (Summit county) and New England. We are thinking somewhere in the USA as we can get a 1 year visa.
    Durango is kind of far from a lot of skiing options. Sure, there's Durango Resort up the road, and Wolf Creek has very consistent light powder, most powder days in CO, high base and usually the most snow, but it has very little vertical. No mega-resorts within good distance of Durango. You can drive for a while to get to Telluride maybe, but it's not close at all. I'd think there are better locations within Colorado, like Gunnison and a few others, that have access to more/bigger resorts with more choices, etc. The biking is supposed to be fantastic (I've only skied out of Durango), but it's like that in many places over Colorado, so I wouldn't worry much there.

I'd definitely say Colorado is one of your top choices, along with Jackson Hole, WY if you are at all into gravity riding, Tahoe is ok, but very dry and sandy at times in the summer. The benefit in Tahoe is being within a reasonable driving distance to the coast and you get more ski resorts. The snow quality sucks though. The rockies often get more summer-time moisture too. Utah might be worth a look too, absolutely excellent snow quality, good vertical and a good amount of resorts to choose from. This if you can stand living in a Mormon state.

Just a note, I did most of my skiing in California, at pretty much every Tahoe resort. The snow was usually wet and heavy, aka: Sierra Cement. When it's snowing, it's usually just barely below freezing. It's nice for the mild temps, but the snow quality was usually poor. On extremely steep chutes, it was easier to turn, but any milder slope and you'd get bogged down way too much. Modern fat powder skis did fix this to a large extent, but I also got the opportunity in the last few years to ride (ski and snowboard) some large dumps of snow in AZ at the ski resort in Flagstaff, several foot dumps. That was my fist experience with light dry powder, before going to Colorado. The snow really was that much better and amazing compared to what fell in CA. It was kind of a "everything you hoped for and more" situation, which was a nice change. No longer did I have to be on a super steep slope to turn decently, it was just like riding through "smoke" as described. If I had my choice, I'd choose light and dry powder like Utah, Colorado and to a smaller exstent NM and AZ are famous for. Supposedly this also exists in California somewhere up above 11,000' when you are doing ski-touring, but so few people have the time and money to access it, so it ends up being the resorts for most people. Tahoe tops out around 10,000', and to get significantly higher, you have to head south in the Sierras. Here in Alaska we usually get heavy cement at low altitude, as it's usually just near freezing like in the Sierras. The difference is we are at sea level though! Since we have lots of vertical, we do have drier powder up higher, but that creates it's own set of problems with radically differing snow conditions on the same mountain. Anyways, California resorts are fun with some of the steepest chutes around, but for me the decision would come down to "better powder/skiing and being land-locked" vs "more big resorts in a smaller geographical area and access to the coast".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Utah, hands down. With Moab, St. George, Virgin, and the Ogden/Salt Lake City/Park City area, plus the "Greatest Snow on Earth" in one state, you can't go wrong!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Revelstoke BC.

Only downside is the long shoulder season. With Whistler you have Pemberton down the road to take the edge of shoulder season for biking.

All other places mention here suck ass comparatively speaking including the places in Utah, Co, Montana
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I agree with Utah. What about Frisco, CO? Tons of skiing within 20 to 30 minutes as well as mountain biking. Fruita is not too far away and weekend trips into Utah are not at all out of the question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I have lived in both Colorado and in the Bay Area of California. In my opinion, the skiing and mountain biking are way better in Colorado. In Colorado the snow is fluffier and it never rains during ski season. There is a vastly greater number of mountain bike trails in Colorado and you also have desert riding in Fruita and across the state line in Moab. San Francisco is a world class city and California has it's own charms, but if we are talking mountain biking and skiing, then there is no question at all - Colorado wins. (Another consideration might be the cost of living. Mountain towns are notoriously expensive, but if you lived in the Denver area it would be a lot cheaper than anywhere in California. You would have access to a lot of good trails and skiing would only be 1 1/2 hours away).
    Thanks Thor, what about Boulder? Or is just as expensive as the resort areas? I drove through Denver but really didnt check it out. If you had the chance to spend a year somewhere new would you chose the Denver area or the bay area? Seems like there is lots to do around both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    I agree with Utah. What about Frisco, CO? Tons of skiing within 20 to 30 minutes as well as mountain biking. Fruita is not too far away and weekend trips into Utah are not at all out of the question.
    I actually spent 6 weeks In Frisco in winter and loved it. We really liked how friendly the people were there, but think we will check out somewhere different. We are looking for something different from our small town. Somewhere that is near trails and snow but also has exciting other stuff. San Fransisco sounds like it would be great but is it too far from good trails and Tahoe?
    Looks like I have to do a bit more research as there are to many awesome places.

mtbr member

Re: Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Colorado = legal weed, skiing and mtb.

As if there's a question

mtbr member
    I dont want this thread to really be about my possible destination but more a list of awesome bike and ski/snowboard destinations.
    Some places I would love to be able to spend some time in would be
    Bend, Whistler, Nelson/Rossland, Revelstoke, Park City, Tahoe, Wanaka/Queenstown (NZ) and Crested Butte.
    What do you think makes areas like these so great. I have grown up on the beach and surfed my whole life. The mountains, sweet single track and snow is calling!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast