Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Great mountain biking and skiing locations?

So I have read through the thread Best place to live and mountain bike???? and was hoping to add skiing and snowboarding into the mix without hijacking the tread I thought I would start a new one.
    So where are the great locations to live, mountain bike and ski/snowboard?
    I am hoping to spend a year somewhere different where I can do some riding and snowboarding.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by pow77; 05-08-2013 at 03:30 AM.
    'keep the mission alive!'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Durango

mtbr member
    I have heard great things about Durango. Whats the snow like?
    I forgot to mention Im from Australia, nowhere near the mountains. But have visited Canada, Japan, Colorado (Summit county) and New England. We are thinking somewhere in the USA as we can get a 1 year visa.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tahoe

mtbr member
    I would think Winter Park Colorado would rank pretty high for both. I haven't mountain biked Durango, only been there once in the winter, but it's a pretty sweet town. Bozeman Montana also probably ranks pretty high, but probably had too short of a mountain bike season- it stays cold there for a while.

Self Inflicted
    Apr 2010
    If i were you Id go where the skiing is good. any area that has good mtns for skiing undoubtedly has good mtn biking as well.

The three I would pick are
    summit county colorado
    Park city ut
    lake tahoe ca

mtbr member
    I would love to check out Tahoe, Its definitely on the list. My girlfriend really wants to check out San Fransisco so thats also on the list. I know its not close to the mountains but she really likes the idea of spending some time in a city, as we are from a small coastal surf town. (Byron Bay if you want to know). Thanks for the ideas guys.

mtbr member
    I lived in Bozeman for 6 years; the summers are very nice, the town is great. The mountain biking is a bit limited. The mountain biking season is pretty similar to the higher elevations of Utah and Colorado. I think the skiing is consistently better in the mountains around Salt Lake City, and the Park City, Utah area has over 300 miles of singletrack. 30 miles from an international airport with 7 or 8 major ski areas within 45 minutes of that airport...pretty hard to beat. But, gotta go to the liquor store for real beer, wine and booze.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    But, gotta go to the liquor store for real beer, wine and booze.
    Ha ha in Australia the liquor store is the only place you can get booze!
    Will look into Bozeman and Park City. Thanks
    I have also just completing a degree in Environmental Science so would love to get some experience in that field (maybe an internship) and even do some trail work volunteering as a way to learn more about trail building and design, as its much more limited down here.
    But also keen to hear on any places that just rock in general anywhere in the world!
    Very keen to check out NZ?
    Last edited by pow77; 05-03-2013 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    I have to get to NZ someday!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Revelstoke BC.

Skiing: Arguably the best ski hill in North America. And with out a doubt the best ski touring.

Mountain bike: Huge trail net work; everything from incredible XC to massive DH trails. The ride community is top notch.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

tg
    mtbr member
    Eagle county Colorado....Vail / Beaver Creek and gobs of singletrack. We have a long mtb season for the mountains and some of the best skiing in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Hmmm So many amazing places coming up. Always wanted to check Revelstoke out for the snow but didnt realize it has great mountain biking also.
    Visited Vail/Beaver in winter and really liked the snowboarding. Gobs of single track you say

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Revelstoke BC.

Skiing: Arguably the best ski hill in North America. And with out a doubt the best ski touring.

Mountain bike: Huge trail net work; everything from incredible XC to massive DH trails. The ride community is top notch.
    On my way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pow77 View Post
    I would love to check out Tahoe, Its definitely on the list. My girlfriend really wants to check out San Fransisco so thats also on the list. I know its not close to the mountains but she really likes the idea of spending some time in a city, as we are from a small coastal surf town. (Byron Bay if you want to know). Thanks for the ideas guys.

Tahoe is absolutely awesome for both mtb and skiing. The bay area is only about 4 hours away, and there are awesome trails on the nevada side of the lake also, so if you go, check it all out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Revelstoke BC.

Wow. That place is gorgeous. If u find a job or don't need to work looks like a nice place

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have lived in both Colorado and in the Bay Area of California. In my opinion, the skiing and mountain biking are way better in Colorado. In Colorado the snow is fluffier and it never rains during ski season. There is a vastly greater number of mountain bike trails in Colorado and you also have desert riding in Fruita and across the state line in Moab. San Francisco is a world class city and California has it's own charms, but if we are talking mountain biking and skiing, then there is no question at all - Colorado wins. (Another consideration might be the cost of living. Mountain towns are notoriously expensive, but if you lived in the Denver area it would be a lot cheaper than anywhere in California. You would have access to a lot of good trails and skiing would only be 1 1/2 hours away).

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have heard great things about Durango. Whats the snow like?
    I forgot to mention Im from Australia, nowhere near the mountains. But have visited Canada, Japan, Colorado (Summit county) and New England. We are thinking somewhere in the USA as we can get a 1 year visa.
    Durango is kind of far from a lot of skiing options. Sure, there's Durango Resort up the road, and Wolf Creek has very consistent light powder, most powder days in CO, high base and usually the most snow, but it has very little vertical. No mega-resorts within good distance of Durango. You can drive for a while to get to Telluride maybe, but it's not close at all. I'd think there are better locations within Colorado, like Gunnison and a few others, that have access to more/bigger resorts with more choices, etc. The biking is supposed to be fantastic (I've only skied out of Durango), but it's like that in many places over Colorado, so I wouldn't worry much there.

I'd definitely say Colorado is one of your top choices, along with Jackson Hole, WY if you are at all into gravity riding, Tahoe is ok, but very dry and sandy at times in the summer. The benefit in Tahoe is being within a reasonable driving distance to the coast and you get more ski resorts. The snow quality sucks though. The rockies often get more summer-time moisture too. Utah might be worth a look too, absolutely excellent snow quality, good vertical and a good amount of resorts to choose from. This if you can stand living in a Mormon state.

Just a note, I did most of my skiing in California, at pretty much every Tahoe resort. The snow was usually wet and heavy, aka: Sierra Cement. When it's snowing, it's usually just barely below freezing. It's nice for the mild temps, but the snow quality was usually poor. On extremely steep chutes, it was easier to turn, but any milder slope and you'd get bogged down way too much. Modern fat powder skis did fix this to a large extent, but I also got the opportunity in the last few years to ride (ski and snowboard) some large dumps of snow in AZ at the ski resort in Flagstaff, several foot dumps. That was my fist experience with light dry powder, before going to Colorado. The snow really was that much better and amazing compared to what fell in CA. It was kind of a "everything you hoped for and more" situation, which was a nice change. No longer did I have to be on a super steep slope to turn decently, it was just like riding through "smoke" as described. If I had my choice, I'd choose light and dry powder like Utah, Colorado and to a smaller exstent NM and AZ are famous for. Supposedly this also exists in California somewhere up above 11,000' when you are doing ski-touring, but so few people have the time and money to access it, so it ends up being the resorts for most people. Tahoe tops out around 10,000', and to get significantly higher, you have to head south in the Sierras. Here in Alaska we usually get heavy cement at low altitude, as it's usually just near freezing like in the Sierras. The difference is we are at sea level though! Since we have lots of vertical, we do have drier powder up higher, but that creates it's own set of problems with radically differing snow conditions on the same mountain. Anyways, California resorts are fun with some of the steepest chutes around, but for me the decision would come down to "better powder/skiing and being land-locked" vs "more big resorts in a smaller geographical area and access to the coast".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Utah, hands down. With Moab, St. George, Virgin, and the Ogden/Salt Lake City/Park City area, plus the "Greatest Snow on Earth" in one state, you can't go wrong!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Revelstoke BC.

Only downside is the long shoulder season. With Whistler you have Pemberton down the road to take the edge of shoulder season for biking.

All other places mention here suck ass comparatively speaking including the places in Utah, Co, Montana
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I agree with Utah. What about Frisco, CO? Tons of skiing within 20 to 30 minutes as well as mountain biking. Fruita is not too far away and weekend trips into Utah are not at all out of the question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    I have lived in both Colorado and in the Bay Area of California. In my opinion, the skiing and mountain biking are way better in Colorado. In Colorado the snow is fluffier and it never rains during ski season. There is a vastly greater number of mountain bike trails in Colorado and you also have desert riding in Fruita and across the state line in Moab. San Francisco is a world class city and California has it's own charms, but if we are talking mountain biking and skiing, then there is no question at all - Colorado wins. (Another consideration might be the cost of living. Mountain towns are notoriously expensive, but if you lived in the Denver area it would be a lot cheaper than anywhere in California. You would have access to a lot of good trails and skiing would only be 1 1/2 hours away).
    Thanks Thor, what about Boulder? Or is just as expensive as the resort areas? I drove through Denver but really didnt check it out. If you had the chance to spend a year somewhere new would you chose the Denver area or the bay area? Seems like there is lots to do around both?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    I agree with Utah. What about Frisco, CO? Tons of skiing within 20 to 30 minutes as well as mountain biking. Fruita is not too far away and weekend trips into Utah are not at all out of the question.
    I actually spent 6 weeks In Frisco in winter and loved it. We really liked how friendly the people were there, but think we will check out somewhere different. We are looking for something different from our small town. Somewhere that is near trails and snow but also has exciting other stuff. San Fransisco sounds like it would be great but is it too far from good trails and Tahoe?
    Looks like I have to do a bit more research as there are to many awesome places.

mtbr member

Re: Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Colorado = legal weed, skiing and mtb.

As if there's a question

mtbr member
    I dont want this thread to really be about my possible destination but more a list of awesome bike and ski/snowboard destinations.
    Some places I would love to be able to spend some time in would be
    Bend, Whistler, Nelson/Rossland, Revelstoke, Park City, Tahoe, Wanaka/Queenstown (NZ) and Crested Butte.
    What do you think makes areas like these so great. I have grown up on the beach and surfed my whole life. The mountains, sweet single track and snow is calling!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donthucktoflat View Post
    Colorado = legal weed, skiing and mtb.

As if there's a question
    Yeah forgot about that part.

mtbr member

Re: Great mounatin biking and sking locations?

Yeah forgot about that part.
    It got bumped up on my list

Elitest thrill junkie
    I actually spent 6 weeks In Frisco in winter and loved it. We really liked how friendly the people were there, but think we will check out somewhere different. We are looking for something different from our small town. Somewhere that is near trails and snow but also has exciting other stuff. San Fransisco sounds like it would be great but is it too far from good trails and Tahoe?
    Looks like I have to do a bit more research as there are to many awesome places.
    People do go to Tahoe from the Bay Area in droves, the Bay Area has some great MTB trails, but I'd rather visit than live there, as it can be a nightmare logistically. Realize that it's a huge metro area, a trip to a resort in Tahoe is around 4hrs or so. It's a mass-exodus/mass-return every day of the weekend. Part of the aspect is just getting out of the Bay Area, and then any slow downs in Sacramento or up near Auburn/Placerville, and it just becomes difficult to justify 8hrs on the road each weekend. As a local, we always knew to expect the freeways were jammed with "tahoe/bay area" traffic, and much of the time through Auburn and Placerville they are (the main corridors to Tahoe). Sacramento at least has some benefits of both, and even better is probably around Folsom/Auburn, those are still close to the urban area of Sacramento, yet removed enough with local trails you can either hit those or head up to the Sierras.

The Bay Area is similar to Phoenix. Most people that live in Phoenix ride in around Phoenix because it has an outstanding city-park system with trails in various parks within the valley. Even though the heat is absolutely brutal in the summer, most people will still stick it out and ride around Phoenix, occasionally escaping to the high country (2hrs away). The Bay Area also has an impressive amount of trails around the geographical center, and when you move to a place like that, you are assuming that you're going to be happy most of the time riding and staying around that area, as getting out becomes more of a rarity, reserved for something special, like once every month or every two. It's not the lifestyle I like, but it's kind of the reality of living in an urban center that large.

The Bay Area is mountains, mountain biking, a great way of life IMO with awesome culture, restaurants, attractions, etc. Those mountains aren't snow-covered though, and it's pretty far distance/time wise from the ski resorts. I always thought I had it best in the foothills when I could get to Kirkwood or Sierra Ski Ranch/At Tahoe in about 45 min-1hr, and I could ride trails fairly nearby, although I felt there should have been more trails at lower altitude in the foothills.

Living IN Tahoe is a hoot if you can accept it's not a big city, it's ringed nearly constantly by development and it's like that hole "outdoor life" thing on steroids, due to simply how large it is. You have to deal with the winter snow of course, it doesn't get terribly cold, usually just barely below freezing when snowing (or raining!).

Salt Lake City is far closer to ski resorts and good mountain biking.

Denver is eh, kind of a big city out in the plains, but some of the suburbs and communities up the highway but still on the "Front Range" are worth looking at IMO, you again get a good combination of both being close to or in a big city, and being close to good skiing, although be careful and look at the highways first, because you could still end up a few hrs away from the resorts, but that's probably going to be the same 2hrs to get to most of the big resorts, so it's still a lot closer than the Bay Area. Front Range has some good winter mountain biking too.

I just wrapped up my first winter in Anchorage and I loved getting out and skiing every weekend at Alyeska, usually it was in powder, which is why it was so fun. Unfortunately the powder was usually super-heavy, but the terrain and the heli and cat-skiing at higher altitudes here is second to none. I don't suggest moving here, only that it's challenging finding a "big city" to live in that is close to everything like that. Seattle and Vancouver come to mind, except they are constantly wet in the wintertime and the riding is wet during that time. Some great resorts in the PacNW, but that super heavy cement snow again.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Utah, hands down. With Moab, St. George, Virgin, and the Ogden/Salt Lake City/Park City area, plus the "Greatest Snow on Earth" in one state, you can't go wrong!
    Ditto!!! You would love Utah. ‹
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport
    Hybrid with 29ers

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Check out Ogden Utah (backside of Snowbasin Ski Resort): https://www.facebook.com/OgdenTrailsNetwork

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info Jayem, I was about to ask about Seattle. Does sound like a bit of driving to get to Tahoe from San Fran but is it worth it to live in a cool city? When you say the bay area has lots of trails are you talking single track or bike paths? Ive heard great things about the trails around Santa Cruz also.
    Anyone for Boulder? Portland?

mtbr member
    Utah keeps popping up, sounds like its got amazing snow and trails!!
    Will have to say you are all very lucky over there to have such good snow and trail networks. Australia has some great bike trails but the snow is well.....
    How do you guys find the transition periods between seasons?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thanks for all the info Jayem, I was about to ask about Seattle. Does sound like a bit of driving to get to Tahoe from San Fran but is it worth it to live in a cool city? When you say the bay area has lots of trails are you talking single track or bike paths? Ive heard great things about the trails around Santa Cruz also.
    Anyone for Boulder? Portland?
    Yeah, Bay Area has lots of singletrack. It's not realistic IMO to consider Tahoe "accessible" from there. Yes, you can drive there, but that's like the people that drive from Los Angeles to Mammoth, which is a great ski resort, but that's just a long long drive. San Fran is a cool city, as well as many of the surrounding areas, it's just they are a ways from skiing.

I lived in CA for years, we had a boat that we kept down near the Bay Area. That was a fun diversion, etc, but I'd say you live in San Francisco (or surrounding area) to live in San Francisco. It's a great city and some of the surrounding areas are pretty neat too. Again, great culture, nearby mountain biking, etc. What I wouldn't say is that one would live in SF because they like skiing and riding in Tahoe. It's do-able to get up to the hill, but logistically it takes so much effort/time I just think it can't really be the selling point. Tahoe is amazing, but IMO you don't live in SF to go to Tahoe. You live in Sacramento to go to Tahoe, and even then you are still in a lot of traffic often, but you got other places not quite as far up the mountains too.

Seattle is great, it just didn't sound like you were into that kind of climate. It's very different. Very wet and gloomy all winter long. People are often out riding, yet it's in sloppy conditions in rain-gear. In the summer it's better and you do get plenty of sunshine days. Crystal Mtn and Stevens Pass are great places to go skiing, but typical cascade snow. Whistler and BC are closeby, meaning that you can have some amazing "one-off" trips, the same ones you'd likely be doing to Tahoe if you lived in the Bay Area. I think the entire Seattle area is just amazing. I go through it all the time for work. It's kind of all the good things about the Bay Area with few of the real bad things, although the traffic sucks (but where does it not in a similar area? It surely sucks in the Bay Area too). Seattle is very spread out (the whole surrounding Puget Sound area), without quite as much excessively overdeveloped space. Lots of cool places to explore in the islands and surrounding areas. Olympic Mountains, etc. Day trips maybe down south to Oregon and some of those areas, etc. If you're ok with the winter weather, this would be a great place with a better balance of being close to mountains, riding, and skiing. You get a lot of fog in SF depending on where you are at, but it typically doesn't go far inland, so usually there's a lot more sun in the Bay Area.

Honestly after a few years here up in Alaska, I'm probably going to put in a transfer for Seattle, I just love the area down there in Seattle so much. Great mountains, climate isn't very harsh (although it is wet), it's sooo green with all the vegetation, they have a nice waterfront just like SF, it just seems so "chill" compared to many big cities, etc.

Before I got this job in AK, I almost got the same job in Portland. Seems good, but everyone I talked to said you had to get out of the city for mountain biking, there was just nothing real good nearby. There does seem to be decent stuff without driving for hours though. I don't know too much about it, but it's not all that far from Tacoma and some of those areas.
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Is there a reason why Whistler/Vancouver isn't at the top of the list? The riding and skiing is simply AMAZING! Snow can be a bit variable sometimes but you'll get your fill of powder days and the mountain biking is out of this world, assuming you like rocky, rooty bad-ass trails in the woods. Vancouver is a great international city - not quite San Francisco - but it does hold it's own and is only about 100KM from Whistler. Squamish is another possibility if you want a small town and it's smack dab in the middle between Whistler and Squamish and has enough mountain biking to keep you busy for a year. But it is a small town and if you're only doing a year, probably best to be in Vancouver OR in Whistler.

If I were doing this, I think my choices would be

Whistler/Vancouver
    Colorado - Vail/Denver
    Park City/SLC
    Jackson Hole

Only reason Jackson Hole is last (because if it was just about skiing it would be first or tied for first with Whistler) is because the other places are closer to major cities.

Tahoe/San Francisco is not on the list because although I live here and love skiing and mountain biking in Tahoe, it's really not that close and you don't want to spend your whole time driving. You do get used to the driving... and Tahoe can have EPIC seasons (although not the last two)... and San Francisco is a fantastic city... but if you're only going to do it for a short while, you want to be close enough to take advantage of powder days! Those don't come along too often.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Vermont should be on the list too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    If you read the other thread, you already know what I have to say about Bellingham, WA. It is about 1.5 hours away from the ski resorts, but from Baker to Whistler, there are probably at least a half dozen options within that range.

And we have legalized marijuana as well if that is your sort of thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Transition in UT is:

Winter - ski all you want at the best places on Earth, if you want to ride, couple hour drive to Moab/St. George (Southern UT - there's just too many place to list).

Spring - ski all you want at the best places on Earth, if you want to ride hit some lower valley trails local in SLC and West desert areas, couple hour drive to Southern UT.

Summer - if you like hot riding, head south or stay down in the valley... sun's up 'til almost 11pm. If you want cool riding, head to the resorts and surrounding areas.

Fall - again - south or local valley areas, watch the snow start to pile up by Halloween up high and start hitting the slopes!

We have riding year round and practically can ski year round (maybe mid/late June to early October is out) as well if you're into hiking for your tracks...

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by sagealmighty View Post
    If i were you Id go where the skiing is good. any area that has good mtns for skiing undoubtedly has good mtn biking as well.
    with a name like "pow77" I'd suggest you listen to this advice.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahDog View Post
    Transition in UT is:

Winter - ski all you want at the best places on Earth, if you want to ride, couple hour drive to Moab/St. George (Southern UT - there's just too many place to list).

Spring - ski all you want at the best places on Earth, if you want to ride hit some lower valley trails local in SLC and West desert areas, couple hour drive to Southern UT.

Summer - if you like hot riding, head south or stay down in the valley... sun's up 'til almost 11pm. If you want cool riding, head to the resorts and surrounding areas.

Fall - again - south or local valley areas, watch the snow start to pile up by Halloween up high and start hitting the slopes!

We have riding year round and practically can ski year round (maybe mid/late June to early October is out) as well if you're into hiking for your tracks...
    So...basically you live in heaven. There's a money tree in your yard and the air & water give you superhuman strength, shiny hair and smooth skin. I knew I should have skipped this thread.

MTB Mamba
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sagealmighty View Post

The three I would pick are
    summit county colorado
    Park city ut
    lake tahoe ca
    I've never been to Colorado but can vouch for Tahoe and Park City. Definitely great options.

mtbr member
    Utah keeps popping up, sounds like its got amazing snow and trails!!
    Will have to say you are all very lucky over there to have such good snow and trail networks. Australia has some great bike trails but the snow is well.....
    How do you guys find the transition periods between seasons?
    If you can live in a small mountain ski town, there are dozens of places in Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico or California that would be fantastic.

If you need/want to live in a reasonably sized city, there is really only one answer -- Salt Lake City. Arguably the best ski area in the Lower 48 (if you really like to ski, not have amenities) in Snowbird, which is 30 min from downtown SLC. I've skied most of the highly touted areas in the Western US, and there are few resorts in the same ballpark as the Bird as far as snow quality, quantity, and steep terrain go. Hundreds of miles of single track, bike parks, etc. within the same radius. Plus all the amenities of a city - Div. I university, plentiful jobs and housing, etc. That is how I ended up here, and I can't imagine living anywhere else.

The transition between seasons is great. For example, right now, all of the lower elevation trails are open, and it is prime season in Moab (4 hrs away). I know plenty of people going for the morning ski/afternoon ride combo here in SLC. In a couple months, the awesome high elevation riding will be open, the ski lifts will have bike hooks on them, just when temps make it uncomfortable to ride in the lower trails. And in the winter, riding in St. George is just a few hours away for great riding, provided you're not too busy skiing. So there really isn't much of a lull between riding/skiing season.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    It all sounds too good.
    But whats SLC actually like to live in when you not skiing or riding? Are the people nice? Good food (healthy) etc? How does it compare to a city like San Fransisco or Seattle?

mtbr member
    I recently did a road trip through Vermont. So beautiful and the trails were amazing. We really liked Burlington. Its definitely on the list as my partners brother lives In NYC.

Elitest thrill junkie
    East coast has some VERY nice places in the mountains, but the skiing kinda sucks.

SLC is not like San Francisco or Seattle. The quality of life in Seattle is quite high, lots of city development. Realize that SF or Seattle are big ports, bringing in stuff from all over the world, people from all over the world. It's a huge melting pot, and the culture benefits highly from this. From art museums, to local events (I saw one of the last performances of Dio and H&H at the Warfield an amazing up-close-and-personal popular local venue), to local attractions. Think about in Seattle: Mt Ranier, Puget Sound and seafood, the Olympic Mountains, the floatplane industry and aviation (boeing factor tour is amazing!), pike's place, the coast, WA has a pretty amazing wine country now, and so on. In CA, you got the CA wine country, the Golden Gate and park, Santa Cruz, some amazing breweries, Pt Reyes, the Pacific Coast Highway, and so on. These lists could go on for days.

I wouldn't willfully live in SLC, but it does have the mountains and everything else, and if you are out in the fringes, suburbs, or up towards the mountains, you aren't going to interact with the big city all the time most likely anyway. Many people become kind of isolated due to the mormon community and their lack of accepting outsiders. They say they accept and love everyone, but you soon realize it only goes as far as those words, and the actions are what really tell the story. It can be especially challenging for kids in school.

One overwhelming feeling I get when I visit SF is that the "hey day" was back in the 1970s and 1980s. Everything back then looked and was very new. Now you go back, and lots of places look 30 years old and more, and are kinda falling apart, whether it's houses or infrastructure. Seattle doesn't seem to have this nearly as much, and they seem to invest a LOT into their city. All those overpass things that have been turned into parks, lots of the communities just look nicer IMO, the roads seem to be invested in, although traffic can be bad. As you go through different areas of the "Bay Area" this does seem to vary quite a bit, but the more popular and central the location, the more this seems to be true. Again, I love the Bay Area too, I'm not sure if I love it enough to live there. It's far enough away from the mountains that I'd probably pass, but Sacramento is kind of a craphole. SF is a better place to live in IMO as far as city life (some parts of Sac are getting better), but Sac is a better place to be located logistically.

Don't worry though, someone will be along shortly to tell you why Texas is the place to live. It won't make sense, but that part won't be important.
    Last edited by Jayem; 05-06-2013 at 09:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    East coast has some VERY nice places in the mountains, but the skiing kinda sucks.

SLC is not like San Francisco or Seattle.

I wouldn't willfully live in SLC, but it does have the mountains and everything else, and if you are out in the fringes, suburbs, or up towards the mountains, you aren't going to interact with the big city all the time most likely anyway. Many people become kind of isolated due to the mormon community and their lack of accepting outsiders.

One overwhelming feeling I get when I visit SF is that the "hey day" was back in the 1970s and 1980s. Everything back then looked and was very new. Now you go back, and lots of places look 30 years old and more, and are kinda falling apart,

Don't worry though, someone will be along shortly to tell you why Texas is the place to live. It won't make sense, but that part won't be important.
    I haven't been there in a while, but the last time I was in Santa Cruz, I loved it. It seemed like the San Francisco of old. Great surfing (nice replacement for skiing) lots of cute girls (I'm too old and married to REALLY care, but what else is there...really!) I expect there must be good biking. Years ago I went to Nevada City to kayak the north and south forks of the Yuba (another good supplement to skiing) and really loved that town. Great kayaking, I expect there must be good biking and near skiing. I live in Park City Utah, which is the Sodom and Gomorrah of Utah... I haven't seen the Mormon issues you speak of and raised three kids here. The bigger problem for me (I'm not a Mormon) was the rich folks up here. But if you can find the good in any place, it's pretty nice!

mtbr member
    Man this thread is like a bucket list of places I want to live. As someone who's #1 and #2 hobbies are skiing and biking, I'd probably pick up and head to Vancouver if I didn't have my current job. I loved the Bay area when I was living up there, Santa Cruz seems like it would be an awesome place as well.

Can't really complain in my current location though.
    buzzes like a fridge

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I live in Park City Utah, which is the Sodom and Gomorrah of Utah...
    Yeah, there are lots of awesome towns/cities scattered about that are just awesome to live in and enjoy life and the outdoors. Flagstaff, Jackson Hole, Bend, Durango, Gunnison, Santa Fe, Salida, Bozeman, Truckee, Missoula, Ashland, Sun Valley, etc. Some of these aren't too far from major cities, and some are pretty isolated. Most are loads of fun though in all seasons.

mtbr member
    Was going to ask would Park City or Ogden areas in Utah be a better lifestyle etc than being in SLC? Or are all the jobs in SLC?
    If I could pick anywhere without worrying about a job or keeping the lady friend happy it would have to be somewhere where I could ride to the trails in summer, and drive a short distance to a ski resort.
    Which places mentioned can you access trails from town? I have to drive to get to any trails and am about 12hrs drive from the nearest ski resort! But can walk down to my local beach in a few minutes
    Thanks for all the info guys.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Was going to ask would Park City or Ogden areas in Utah be a better lifestyle etc than being in SLC? Or are all the jobs in SLC?
    If I could pick anywhere without worrying about a job or keeping the lady friend happy it would have to be somewhere where I could ride to the trails in summer, and drive a short distance to a ski resort.
    Which places mentioned can you access trails from town? I have to drive to get to any trails and am about 12hrs drive from the nearest ski resort! But can walk down to my local beach in a few minutes
    Cost of living is much higher in Park City, it is really a resort town. If you want to have instant access to trails and skiing, then PC is your best bet if you can afford to live there. I live in Ogden, and personally prefer it over SLC. It still has a bit of a small town feel if that is important to you. SLC is more metropolitan (as much as it can be in UT). There are plenty of jobs in either Ogden or SLC, not so much in PC. Lots of outdoor industry companies are locating to Ogden. Also lots of manufacturing in the Ogden area. What type of work are you looking for? Both Ogden and SLC have in town access to trails, as well as riding up the canyons. Both require a drive of 30 min-1hr for access to ski resorts in the winter. Ogden has 2 resorts up the canyon, SLC has multiple. Any other ?'s just ask.

Picture Unrelated
    I'm not sure you could pay me enough to live in Odgen, I really don't care for that place so Park City is the obvious choice there. I'd put the rank Park City > SLC > the rest of the valley. Park City is a great town but it's not cheap, unless you're coming from NYC I guess. SLC is cheap, has plenty going on, and little by little it's becoming a little bit normalized to the rest of the country.

Jayem makes some reasonable points but SLC is not some complete black hole of enjoyment; it's no Denver or San Fran, but it's also not like you're living in Jonestown. Living downtown, in the Avenues, or in Sugarhouse are all pretty decent, pretty interesting neighborhoods. It takes more work than "cooler" cities to find the good shops or restaurants or places to go, but they're out there, at least to an extent. But I'm biased, I don't care about all that; I'd rather hit the mountains when I'm not working so as long as the local breweries keep cranking out that amazing brew, I'm a happy camper.

My wife and I are not from SLC originally and there are times (the drivers! How freaking bad can a population be at driving?!? AAAHHH!!!) when we get frustrated with life in a one church, one vote city but then we take a look at where we are and try to find out where we could live and work with what we have nearby. The skiing is easily the best in the US (well, Jackson is probably better for skiing, but only a bit), the biking is world class (except the lift served), the climbing is world class, and you can do pretty much any outdoor activity you can think of (except surfing, sorry) and it's all within 45 minutes of the airport. 15 minutes out my door to Snowbird: I'll take that, thank you very much. There isn't anywhere you can live (where I could get a job like the one I have) with what SLC offers in such proximity. Add in Moab ~4 hrs away and Jackson, Sun Valley, Denver, Vegas, and anything in between within 6 hrs and it's a pretty solid home base. But, of course, to each their own.

Edit: I did mean to mention that the "out the door" riding in the valley is somewhat limited. You have to live pretty close to the mountains. Out the door in PC is amazing and the free bus system up there makes it that much better.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast