Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

great crash sequence

2K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  HTR4EVR 
#1 ·
You've got to check out this crash sequence that was caught at a 12 hour race in Virginia a week or two ago. It starts at the bottom of the page (page 10), and goes onto page 11.

http://www.waramos.com/thumbnails.php?album=162&page=10

:eek:

I heard the guy's OK, and he finished the race, too.

#11 ·
kattywhumpus said:
if he gets his weight back in the first pic he rides away.....
I think it's all over by the first pic. Dude was moving pretty damn fast, his butt is resting on the saddle... I'm guessing as soon as he locked that wheel he was toasty.

Those are some really nice pics, great focus on the rider, blur, etc...

#12 ·
Thanks for posting the pics, brado1, I was too busy to do it earlier. The photo was taken right after this roller; he came over it too fast and didn't keep his weight back enough. He did have some speed, too! I don't think he hit the tree, though - it looks like he was completely clipped out by the 4th frame, and it was just the bike that bounced into the tree.

#13 ·
I had a crash two weekends ago that was not too much different - I was going down hill - it was caused by me standing up to hammer and the chain falling off in the same instant. All my weight was forward and I just couldn't stop the momentum of the whole thing.

Its funny how slowly things happen in those circumstances - I thought for a split second that I had brought things under control - nope - over the bars (well actually into the handlebars) I went.

John

#18 ·
So this raises the interesting question of the appropriate behavior upon entering such an endo. Do you do a superman to protect your spine and resign yourself to likely road rash on the face and elsewhere, or do you try to "tuck and roll" probably coming down on your back?

Of course obstacles (like other bicyclists) in the way of the rider may dictate which technique to attempt, so lets assume you are on reasonably flat dirt with no significant dropoffs by your single track.

#19 ·
Quasi said:
So this raises the interesting question of the appropriate behavior upon entering such an endo. Do you do a superman to protect your spine and resign yourself to likely road rash on the face and elsewhere, or do you try to "tuck and roll" probably coming down on your back?

Of course obstacles (like other bicyclists) in the way of the rider may dictate which technique to attempt, so lets assume you are on reasonably flat dirt with no significant dropoffs by your single track.
:nono:
do a 'superman' and you'll likely end up with a broken bones somewhere in your top half. Always tuck and roll to keep momentum and lessen damage (which comes from friction/sudden stoppage).

I am very experienced at this sort of thing. Yes, that means I fall a lot.

#20 ·
And the lesson of this sequence is:

When you are racing and you see a photographer next to the trail, slow down! The photographer probably scouted the entire course and positioned himself in the best location from which to take a sequence of photographs of YOU endoing. :)

#22 ·
We should all be concerned.........

He could have really damaged something on his bike ! :D

I do hope he is ok as well. Experience speaking.
See avatar, "OTB with style" is there for a reason. :rolleyes:

ODN

"Edit" spelling, too many crashes like this one. Hee hee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.