mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Grassroots 24 Hour Race-Keeping it simple and fun

The 24 Hours of Soldier Hollow,

it will be held on September 10th and 11th and we'd like to get people thinking about this 2nd annual race in Midway, UT (About 20 minutes outside of Park City, UT and about 50 minutes from Salt Lake City, UT).

Check out our web-site and please help us spread the love so that this year's event will be one to remember.

Some highlights (and more to come): live music, an array of food and beverages as well as a few massage tables. We will be giving away very cool s.w.a.g, including Pearl Izumi gear and an Ellsworth frame to a lucky participant.

The solo class will be fighting for a share of a cash prize from the entrance fees. And we will have some sweet t-shirts for all racers courtesy of Patagonia.

We also welcome your suggestions on what would make a this race an attraction for you.

Please visit us at: www.24hoursofsoldierhollow.com

Chris

I'm how far behind?
    Sounds sweet and only a hop skip and a jump away, but that weekend is already filled up I bet that park of Utah is pretty cool that time of year!

Most of us Colorado boys will be in Winter Park for Kona G 24 Championships.

Keep us informed though, there is always next year.
    Fatter than most.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikerut
    The 24 Hours of Soldier Hollow,

wow

I've raced at soldier Hollow before. Beautiful venue for a race, but this has the potential to be a killer hard 24 hour race. Nothing like 24 hours of short steep climbs followed by shorter (no recovery) descents to develop a little burn in the legs. Better do a lot of intervals to prepare for this race. i wish that I lived closer..

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Sportsman,

That's why we want to get the word out now so people can prepare, you have until September so if you're thinking about it, you have plenty of time.

We have actually built upon the trails that are already there so if you've raced intermountain cup, that route is only about a 1/3 of the whole course.

We've expanded it so that you start in soldier hollow on the double track and that leads into a single track that we built which then leads you onto the road. You climb the road for about a mile and a half then take a right and climb an ATV trail which brings you up onto the ridge overlooking the Heber Valley, you follow the ridge for about 2 miles and then begin the descent.....as soon as the snows melts, we will be marking the course.

I'm sure that anyone who has raced in the intermountain cup series there has the same ideas as you do about that course but it goes way beyond what is there and it's a beautiful ride.

The views of Timpanogos from the top are like no other....
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    wow

I've raced at soldier Hollow before. Beautiful venue for a race, but this has the potential to be a killer hard 24 hour race. Nothing like 24 hours of short steep climbs followed by shorter (no recovery) descents to develop a little burn in the legs. Better do a lot of intervals to prepare for this race. i wish that I lived closer..

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikerut
    Sportsman,

That's why we want to get the word out now so people can prepare, you have until September so if you're thinking about it, you have plenty of time.

We have actually built upon the trails that are already there so if you've raced intermountain cup, that route is only about a 1/3 of the whole course.

We've expanded it so that you start in soldier hollow on the double track and that leads into a single track that we built which then leads you onto the road. You climb the road for about a mile and a half then take a right and climb an ATV trail which brings you up onto the ridge overlooking the Heber Valley, you follow the ridge for about 2 miles and then begin the descent.....as soon as the snows melts, we will be marking the course.

I'm sure that anyone who has raced in the intermountain cup series there has the same ideas as you do about that course but it goes way beyond what is there and it's a beautiful ride.

The views of Timpanogos from the top are like no other....
    I'm sorry I didn't express myself more clearly. I think that area will make an incredible course! I was not trying to knock the soldier hollow trails. I raced there a few years ago while traveling through the area and I still smile any time that I think of the race. It was a blast and very different from what I'm accustomed to (racing at ski resorts in CO and NM). But, you have to admit those little climbs in the intermountain cup series course add up. Again, I enjoyed it, and would definitely race the 24 hour race solo if I didn't live so far away from there.

scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Scott,

No, I did not think you were trying to knock the SH trails at all, I just wanted to explain what we added on because although the trails that are in place are good, we did not feel that the route was the most optimal for a 24 hour race.

You should think about making a long weekend for this race and check it out. I'm sure it's a good drive from where you are but it'll be every bit worth it.

I'm heading up to do the 24 hours of Steamboat next month which will be about a 5 hour trip for me but worth every effort.

Chris