Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Got my butt kicked by a 71 year old!

The more I think about it, the less I care that a 71 year old kicked my butt on the trail today and the happier I am that a 71 year old can kick a lot of peoples butts. It's not like I'm young but I have a few years to go to reach his age.

My buddy and I had been out for about 1.5 hours on a 90 degree day when we pulled into the alternate parking lot at the place we were riding. I saw the "old" guy and we struck up a conversation. He and I have ridden together in the home of the Sand King in the past.

His group of four joined us and we were off. I actually took the lead for the first 15 minutes but faded quickly and hung off the back soon enough. It was all I could do to keep the next to last guy in sight. They were probably hoping I didn't spoil the ride with a heart attack. I didn't.

Another 1.5 hours from the start of the second half of the ride we reached the original parking lot, spoke a bit and split up.

To the "old" guy, congratulations! It was a ride well won. I told TurboB!tch of the experience and she said it gives me something to look forward to.

Smart girl that TurboB.
    Last edited by Rev Bubba; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:51 PM. Reason: Left out word

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    good on you man he's probably retired and rides when and where he want's. and at that age the dr. probably hooks him up with all the epo and test he wants just kidding. my grandpa kick guys a quarter his age asses at golf 3 days a week. he's 74 and he's got degenerative arthritis in his back. it's the yoda factor. there is no try

Resident Gear Head
    I got passed by a one legged man during last years Pikes Peak Hill Climb. He wasnt 71 but he had some skills
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    I ride with a co-worker who is about 70. I do all I can to keep up with him, and I am about 30 years younger. I hope I can do the same level of activity at that age.

Hell Track
    I was humbled yesterday as this dude on an entry level bike that looked about 3 sizes too big completely dropped me on a long steep climb. He passed me and i figured if i keep him in reaching distance he'll tire out, i'll be fresh and just plow ahead. Well, he didn't tire out and eventually was out of sight. I wasn't having a good day, but no excuses, this guy dropped me flat out. It's good to get your butt kicked once in a while

Professional Crastinator
    Was his name Ray?

This is a serious dude.
    Got my butt kicked by a 71 year old!-raysm.jpg
    I just get out of the way.

Being a former MXer and now retired (leaving lots of riding time), he can really move out.
    (I hope the flattery makes me posting his pic w/o permission acceptable)

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Inspector Gadget
    I learned right off to not judge a rider by their looks. I'm 37 and ride with this 70yr guy sometimes... he's a fawkin badass
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Clueless Bastard
    Years ago, on an organized road ride, I was humpin along, trying my best to keep up with what I believed to be a fast group.

I hear this buzz, and passing on my left was a group of 6-7 older guys, all on older Italian bikes. These gents were absolutely crushing it. I remember thinking "Holy F*cking Sh*t! Wow, those guys are flying.....I hope someday I can ride like that."

25 years later, I'm still trying.

EMBA Member
    Went on a group ride a couple years ago in Bend, Oregon that included Mike from Arkansas who was 67 at the time. He was a strong rider with skill. As a 56 yo, I love seeing it because I sometimes wonder how much longer I'll be able to mountain bike. It is good to know I should be able to get another 15 years at least.

mtbr member
    I regularly ski with a couple 80+ ex-Austrian racers and just keeping up with these guys is a challenge sometimes and they talk about a skier in his nineties they look up to. However, they no longer ski bumps so, at 65, I still have that over them.

Age is such a meaningless measure at times. My 100 year old uncle was complaining on his 100th birthday that he has a shortness of breath when he runs his morning mile. God bless medicine, good genes and a big amount of luck.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Went on a group ride a couple years ago in Bend, Oregon that included Mike from Arkansas who was 67 at the time. He was a strong rider with skill. As a 56 yo, I love seeing it because I sometimes wonder how much longer I'll be able to mountain bike. It is good to know I should be able to get another 15 years at least.
    Ditto. Same age and wondering how long I can stretch it before something wears out. Seeing guys in there 70's ripping it is encouraging.

Team Fearless Descender
    If you're younger than me and not passing me, I'm wondering what's up with you, but secretly happy. If you're older than me and passing me, then I'm happy because I only hope I'm able to be riding right until my own end.

Cycling is a great thing, something that we all share here. We were all once younger, and faster, and will all be older. Enjoy every ride.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm 60. Last year I got passed by three overweight grey haired ladies. Although, there was one time that I passed a very young athletic looking young lady. I pedaled as hard as I could and finally got by her, but she was running really fast.

This year I have taken to trying to catch people when they pass me, but it usually doesn't last very long until they are out of sight. I had a young thin pretty girl pass me, with a bike that was even thinner than her. I started at the 3.5 yardstick and kept up with her almost to the end of the trail when it switches back and goes around the river. I saw her with her bike leaning against a Subaru in the parking area so I told her how happy I was that I kept up with her for so long(I know I'm weird, I've been living with me for 60 years). I got home and told everyone at the dinner table how proud I was that I kept up with her. They said "I'm supprised she didn't call the cops".

Do girls stop and lean their bikes up against a Subaru when they think some weirdo is chasing them? I just realized I haven't riden my bike since then-and that was three weeks ago!

Dirt Junkie
    71 years olds are smarter than us.

Remember that.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i frequently ride with a couple of guys in their mid-to-late 60s and they serve it up hard every time. its great getting my ass kicked by guys old enough to be my father. i hope i'm riding half as strong at that age!

I'm 33 and regularly get my a$$ handed to me buy older riders. A LOT of people around here fit the xc racer mold, even if they don't race. That is largely the riding culture here.

I do my own thing. I'd rather ride for a long time than ride fast with high intensity. I really like those 6-7+hr rides where you're just out there all day enjoying the woods and enjoying the ride itself. It's not uncommon for the fast, high intensity guys to be done with their ride and I'm still out there chugging away.

I do try to mix things up with the occasional high intensity ride, though. I want to do a 50+mi ride this fall before the snow starts to fly. Not sure I'll be able to double my age on my birthday, but I do want to build up to that.

~*~*~*~*~
    Yay! Old people rock. :-)

Rides with Scissors
    Quote Originally Posted by misterbill View Post
    Although, there was one time that I passed a very young athletic looking young lady. I pedaled as hard as I could and finally got by her, but she was running really fast.
    This made me laugh out loud! Fortunately, I wasn't drinking anything, so I didn't need to clean off my computer screen.

I pass, and am passed by, people younger and older than I am. I don't care. I'm just out riding to be OUT riding!
    Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbroad View Post
    Yay! Old people rock. :-)

Yup and the longer I ride ... the more I giggle like a school girl.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    A couple times a week I would ride with an extremely fit older lady in her mid 40's. On one ride I had to beg her to stop so I can catch my breath. So she got off of me to let me recover before she started riding again.
    "By Your Command"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rev Bubba's Story is great!! I got real good laugh out of it. my dad always said... quote " Just when you think you are bad son, there is always someone badder! "

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Never judge a rider by age or appearance.....so true.

Years ago in my 30's I was unloading my bike at a trail-head when this extremely slouched over skinny guy with toothpick legs " legs like a blue heron " asked if he could join me.

I looked at his legs and his 35lb FS bike and said SURE with an arrogant grin.

On the very first long climb this guy shot off like a rocket never to be seen again. I finished the 3hr technical loop back to the parking lot and asked a horseback rider if he saw this guy. He said he left about 20 minutes ago.

I thought he should have waited for me, that was rude.

Old Fart
    I am 55 and hope to be that 71 year old some day. I'm still able to hold my own riding with my 30 something son & d-i-l, but they do drop me on climbs. Fortunately since I grew up on a bike I can outride both of them on the technical sections that and my superior mass enables me to be faster on the downhills too. Trying hard right now to even the field by eliminating 25 #'s of the superior mass, so while that will slow me a bit on the downhills no doubt it will help on the climbs.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    I was running a 10k years ago and got passed by a guy in a wheelchair. I'm not sure if race chairs are faster then runners but I was a pretty slow runner regardless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Yup and the longer I ride ... the more I giggle like a school girl.
    Well, said, it's not the number of miles, it's the number of smiles. My 70 year old riding buddy has always kicked my 50 year old butt. But he keeps telling me it's people like me that keeps him going. He says it's more fun riding with us than riding alone........What a dude.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast