mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Got to give my son my first bike today.

I don't know how many people on here get to do this but today I was able to give my son my first bike that I got when I was 6. Almost all of my cousins got to learn how to ride a bike on it, and my uncle who originally got it for me set it aside in his shed a number a years ago. Its not as nice as it used to be but being 28 years old and going through probably 5-6 cousins its not too bad. He learned on a strider and road the pedal bike with no training wheels the first try, we even road down to the school and around the track there totaling about 3-4 miles today. I'm looking forward to getting him on the trail in another year or so.

1986 Schwinn Preadator Grimlin.

mtbr member

Re: Got to give my son my first bike today.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwjnky View Post
    I don't know how many people on here get to do this but today I was able to give my son my first bike that I got when I was 6. Almost all of my cousins got to learn how to ride a bike on it, and my uncle who originally got it for me set it aside in his shed a number a years ago. Its not as nice as it used to be but being 28 years old and going through probably 5-6 cousins its not too bad. He learned on a strider and road the pedal bike with no training wheels the first try, we even road down to the school and around the track there totaling about 3-4 miles today. I'm looking forward to getting him on the trail in another year or so.

1986 Schwinn Preadator Grimlin.
    The best day. Until you take off the training wheels, then that will be your best day. But then, maybe his first BMX ride, that will be your best day....and when he fits your bike. That will be the best day....... and then he has a bike just like you, and kicks your ass, that will be your best day...etc.

sent remotely

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Awesome can't wait till my daughter can ride. And from the looks of your picture your screen name is very fitting.

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Very cool!!

pin it
    That is so neat!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nice, cool hand-me-down.

Pic question - Is that a byzanz M3 parked in the garage?
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    Awesome!
    2014 Cannondale Rush 2

DFMBA.org
    I can't wait 'til my son tells me "on your left, dad". I think I'll cry.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    My 2 year old is hates helmets, so until he gets used to wearing one, there is no bike time. Hopefully it is just a phase...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Passing on the torch.

And training your future riding partner! That's one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Right on! That is very cool. I wish I still had my first Schwinn Sting Ray when it was time to get my sons into riding.

I did hand down my first real mountain bike to my youngest son a couple years ago. We were at a family reunion and I'd taken it so there'd be an extra bike for some of the other adults to ride and just as we were getting to load up to come home he says, "Hey Dad, let me ride your Hammerhead". I thought it would be too big for him (he was 13) but was surprised at how close he was to fitting it.

So when we got home, I got some narrower bars and a shorter stem, moved the seat up on the rails a bit and it fit him like a glove. He was soo stoked to not only have a full suspension bike to have my first bike was just icing on the cake.

Here he is riding it a couple weeks ago at 15 and he's almost ready to move up.

EMBA Member
    That's awesome. I have some movie of the first time my son rode a bike. We love watching it as much now as then. He's almost big enough for my old mountain bike. Can't wait to formally pass it on to him.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Nice, cool hand-me-down.

Pic question - Is that a byzanz M3 parked in the garage?
    The hand me down factor was very fun and I'm glad my uncle kept track of the bike and held onto it for so many years.

It is a Byzanz M3, 1 of 88 built in that color and 1 of 37 with the factory 5 speed. As far as I can tell from my research the color was only offered for the 1997 model year and only for the sedan. With the interior color I have and fold down seats its 1 of 10. I stumbled across it on Craigslist when I was looking for an M3 to replace my Land Cruiser. The guy didn't realize how rare it was even though he was the second owner and bought it when it was only 3 years old.

mtbr member
    Very cool, one of my favorite colors they produced for sure!
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

mtbr member
    I have 2 daughters who I took MTB riding when they were 6 & 7. They still talk about it. It's a great memory and if you do it right you will have riding buddies for the rest of your life.