Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 459
  1. #201
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Can we throw some clipless/flats debate into this equation too? 'Cuz I think we all agree that clipless is cheating and most/all/any/some flats riders' technical abilities will surely be better than your pet squirrel's?
    I've been riding clipless for 20 years, including racing DH clipless.

  2. #202
    backwoods and backwards
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Ratboy and Peaty are on 650b V10...
    Santa Cruz V10 27.5 Wheels Prototype
    We'll see if they run them at the WC...the Leogang win was on the 26er.

    FWIW I didn't have much faith in "the Good Ol' 26er?"



    The Good Ol' 26er?-img_0571.jpg

    The Good Ol' 26er?-img_0572.jpg

    ...so I built up a brand new one. I LOVE how the Whippet came out 19.5lb ( but my Strava times have proven that the 29er ,27lb, is still faster by quite a bit).

  3. #203
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    The best thing about this thread is that 99% of the people posting don't give a **** what they or anyone else is riding when they're out riding. But it's a congressional debate once the internet gets involved.

  4. #204
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I can out climb you on any surface.

    I'm sorry to tell you this (not) but you are the biggest idiot on this site. Only a moron would be led to think that a full blown downhill bike is easier to climb than a hardtail. I mean come on, a non lockout heavy full suspension bike versus a lightweight bike designed for climbing would see the hardtail as the winner no matter the wheel size (but 29ers rollover stuff better so it will still be a better technical climber because it will have less junk to avoid on the trail).
    You might want to rethink your theories now.
    Aw, you're so cute!!!! You're like a fluffy little puppy running around and nipping at everything! AWWWWWW!!!!!

    Anyway, you grossly underestimate the importance of traction and suspension in climbing. I've done a ton of climbing on a light hardtail with a semi slick....before you were old enough to ride a bike. The slight improvement in rollover with a 29er is nothing compared to a beefy rear tire and bottomless smooth travel. Deal with it.

    The Good Ol' 26er?-resized_creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-oh-you-mad-deal-6c4cdf.jpg

    And since when is a 31lb AM bike heavy? It's light enough that I can climb it with a 30x30 low gear. When you were 4 years old, I was climbing a 45lb+ dh bike with a 44x30 low gear and slammed seat, LOL.

  5. #205
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Anyway, you grossly underestimate the importance of traction and suspension in climbing. I've done a ton of climbing on a light hardtail with a semi slick....before you were old enough to ride a bike. The slight improvement in rollover with a 29er is nothing compared to a beefy rear tire and bottomless smooth travel. Deal with it.
    And guess what? I can climb with a 34 single front ring and a 34 rear cog, and with tyres that have a lot of rolling resistance. I don't even lockout my fork.
    My bike is light (not carbon light, but still light). I don't know how steep your climbs were on your heavy ass downhill bike, but I bet I could climb them better than you.

  6. #206
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    And guess what? I can climb with a 34 single front ring and a 34 rear cog, and with tyres that have a lot of rolling resistance. I don't even lockout my fork.
    My bike is light (not carbon light, but still light). I don't know how steep your climbs were on your heavy ass downhill bike, but I bet I could climb them better than you.
    Humm. If you're riding tires with a lot of rolling resistance, especially on a 29er, you have alot to learn.

  7. #207
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Humm. If you're riding tires with a lot of rolling resistance, especially on a 29er, you have alot to learn.
    Humm, If you're climbing steep hills with a downhill bike, you have a lot to learn.

  8. #208
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Humm, If you're climbing steep hills with a downhill bike, you have a lot to learn.
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?

  9. #209
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?
    You know that I'm half your age and am just as strong as you? Just because I have been mountain biking for only 3 years doesn't mean I am a weakling. Most of my riding includes steep hill climbs. I have a surprisingly strong endurance on the climbs and I am as strong on the descents.

  10. #210
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?
    you may be ancient but i also know one of the best riders i have ever ridden with was born in the civil war era yet aquaholic is pretty gnar. though apologies to you tdawg...he ruins your hypothesis of what can and should be done on a hardtail, let alone a rigid version

  11. #211
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    172
    The only way you two are going to hash this out is meet up and prove each other wrong. It's been run reading nonetheless.

  12. #212
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?
    Everybody is Ned Overend when they can simply hide behind a computer screen. You're simply being annoying. A talent which you are perfecting with every post.

    (Oh wait a sec, Ned Overend is opened minded and rides a 29" bike but I'm sure you could kick his ass on a mountain bike. Right turdodog?)

    One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail. Mediocre riders never shut up about how great they are and can be the most irritating sanctimonious DB's on the face of the earth. Gee, which one are you turdodog?

  13. #213
    backwoods and backwards
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,566
    [QUOTE=ShinDiggity;11344922]

    One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail.QUOTE]

    Spoken for truth.

    +rep

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post
    Everybody is Ned Overend when they can simply hide behind a computer screen. You're simply being annoying. A talent which you are perfecting with every post.

    (Oh wait a sec, Ned Overend is opened minded and rides a 29" bike but I'm sure you could kick his ass on a mountain bike. Right turdodog?)

    One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail. Mediocre riders never shut up about how great they are and can be the most irritating sanctimonious DB's on the face of the earth. Gee, which one are you turdodog?
    Carefully.
    If you hurt Turdos feelings, he might complain to the mods about you again.

  15. #215
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Carefully.
    If you hurt Turdos feelings, he might complain to the mods about you again.
    Well I'm not saying what I really want to. I'm being nice. Scaling it back so I don't hurt poor little turdodogs feelings.

  16. #216
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I am, however, questioning my technical riding skills, experience, intellect, critical thinking skills, analytical skills, vocabulary, ego, mechanical skills, bow staff skills, and personal grooming habits. So far I am not impressed with myself.
    Fixed. You're welcome.

  17. #217
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You know that I'm half your age and am just as strong as you? Just because I have been mountain biking for only 3 years doesn't mean I am a weakling. Most of my riding includes steep hill climbs. I have a surprisingly strong endurance on the climbs and I am as strong on the descents.
    I'm not questioning your strength or athletic ability. I am, however, questioning your technical riding skills, experience, intellect, critical thinking skills, analytical skills, vocabulary, ego, mechanical skills, bow staff skills, and personal grooming habits. So far I am not impressed.

  18. #218
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post
    Everybody is Ned Overend when they can simply hide behind a computer screen. You're simply being annoying. A talent which you are perfecting with every post.

    (Oh wait a sec, Ned Overend is opened minded and rides a 29" bike but I'm sure you could kick his ass on a mountain bike. Right turdodog?)

    One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail. Mediocre riders never shut up about how great they are and can be the most irritating sanctimonious DB's on the face of the earth. Gee, which one are you turdodog?
    I'm not making any claims about my ability, other than that I'm experienced and considerably better than average, as a point of reference for the topic at hand. While there are certainly exceptions, it's pretty clear that in general people with less experience and technical ability tend to prefer 29er's, while experienced technical riders prefer 26".

  19. #219
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I'm not questioning your strength or athletic ability. I am, however, questioning your technical riding skills, experience, intellect, critical thinking skills, analytical skills, vocabulary, ego, mechanical skills, bow staff skills, and personal grooming habits. So far I am not impressed.
    You know nothing about me.
    But in fact I know that you are an old pile of crap that is so instable that he (or she) can't come to terms with change and would rather complain to the internet and blabber to random people about your pain when you should just go on a ****ing mountain bike ride to ease your pain.
    Have fun climbing the grand canyon you overconfident loaf.

  20. #220
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    ....what can and should be done on a hardtail, let alone a rigid version
    What's the rigid version of a hardtail....? LOL.

    I rode full rigid for two years when I first started riding. Would not go back. I'll take every advantage I can get - clipless, tubeless, suspension, discs - that I think is worth while. For trail riding, 26" is clearly an advantage over 29er's, so I'm happy to stick with it!

  21. #221
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You know nothing about me.
    But in fact I know that you are an old pile of crap that is so instable that he (or she) can't come to terms with change and would rather complain to the internet and blabber to random people about your pain when you should just go on a ****ing mountain bike ride to ease your pain.
    Have fun climbing the grand canyon you overconfident loaf.
    I also question your online etiquette! You don't seem to be a very nice person, either.

  22. #222
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I'm not making any claims about my ability, other than that I'm experienced and considerably better than average, as a point of reference for the topic at hand. While there are certainly exceptions, it's pretty clear that in general people with less experience and technical ability tend to prefer 29er's, while experienced technical riders prefer 26".
    Of course you are making claims about your ability. Aren't you even reading what you have written? All one has to do is read your posts touting how much better you are than any one you have ever met on a 29" bike. My guess would be you are a mediocre rider at best and are way over compensating for your glaringly obvious shortcomings. But since you are hiding behind the computer screen we'll never know now will we (even though we do know)?

  23. #223
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I also question your online etiquette! You don't seem to be a very nice person, either.
    I'm a nice person when I am not trying to argue with a person who acts like a 5 year old.
    You have tried my patience and I have had it with you and your pathetic arguments.

  24. #224
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post
    Of course you are making claims about your ability. Aren't you even reading what you have written? All one has to do is read your posts touting how much better you are than any one you have ever met on a 29" bike. My guess would be you are a mediocre rider at best and are way over compensating for your glaringly obvious shortcomings. But since you are hiding behind the computer screen we'll never know now will we (even though we do know)?
    Sorry, but now I have to question your critical reading skills. I made a specific claim that I've out technical climb anyone I've met on a 29er - meaning that I typically stay on the bike and make it over rough terrain when they don't. Most people on 29er's are on hardtails with semi-slick or light knobs, both of which are a major disadvantage in technical climbing. I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have. I made no claims about speed or endurance over non-technical terrain, where clearly the 29er rider has an advantage.

    Point being, big tires and long suspension trump the typical 29er XC hardtail setup for technical climbing.

  25. #225
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I'm a nice person when I am not trying to argue with a person who acts like a 5 year old.
    You have tried my patience and I have had it with you and your pathetic arguments.
    Ok, cool. Feel free to not respond to my posts, and you will be the true winner here.

    Name:  a_winner_is_you20110724-22047-1nd3wif.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  8.9 KB

  26. #226
    Merendon Junkie
    Reputation: abelfonseca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?
    So canondale F9 is what, 5 or 6 years old?

  27. #227
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Sorry, but now I have to question your critical reading skills. I made a specific claim that I've out technical climb anyone I've met on a 29er - meaning that I typically stay on the bike and make it over rough terrain when they don't. Most people on 29er's are on hardtails with semi-slick or light knobs, both of which are a major disadvantage in technical climbing. I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have. I made no claims about speed or endurance over non-technical terrain, where clearly the 29er rider has an advantage.

    Point being, big tires and long suspension trump the typical 29er XC hardtail setup for technical climbing.
    But again you are wrong. 29ers are better climbers with similar tyres and less suspension.

  28. #228
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    But again you are wrong. 29ers are better climbers with similar tyres and less suspension.
    Anything's possible, but virtually nobody sets them up like that. Unicorns are better climbers too, but they don't exist either...



    So it's a bit of moot point now isn't?

  29. #229
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Anything's possible, but virtually nobody sets them up like that. So it's a bit of moot point now isn't?
    Just because your bike isn't set up like that doesn't mean other people don't have bikes set up like that.
    You really need to think deeper into these subjects.

  30. #230
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Sorry, but now I have to question your critical reading skills. I made a specific claim that I've out technical climb anyone I've met on a 29er - meaning that I typically stay on the bike and make it over rough terrain when they don't. Most people on 29er's are on hardtails with semi-slick or light knobs, both of which are a major disadvantage in technical climbing. I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have. I made no claims about speed or endurance over non-technical terrain, where clearly the 29er rider has an advantage.

    Point being, big tires and long suspension trump the typical 29er XC hardtail setup for technical climbing.
    So now it's "typical" instead of "every", "most" instead of "all".

    "I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have."

    Rare set up? Where do you live? Oh that's right ... The Chocolate Factory. You need to get out more.

    One disclaimer after another. Why don't you come back when you can actually stick with one "story".

    Name:  1344220372096_9241455.png
Views: 234
Size:  39.0 KB

  31. #231
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Just because your bike isn't set up like that doesn't mean other people don't have bikes set up like that.
    You really need to think deeper into these subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post
    So now it's "typical" instead of "every", "most" instead of "all".

    "I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have."

    Rare set up? Where do you live? Oh that's right ... The Chocolate Factory. You need to get out more.

    One disclaimer after another. Why don't you come back when you can actually stick with one "story".

    Name:  1344220372096_9241455.png
Views: 234
Size:  39.0 KB
    Here's the mtbr thread dedicated to long travel 29er's, it's 14 pages long. The bikes are pretty high end, at least $4-5k retail or more, and uncommon. Please note that less than half the bikes have aggressive rear tires, most of them have lightly nobbed tires:

    Let's see those long travel 29ers! 140mm+ fork only.

    Here is the post your all mountain rig thread, its 343 pages long:

    Let's see those AM setups

    Almost everybody has an aggressive rear tire. Many bikes are upper-mid end, not particularly exotic, and thus MUCH more common on the trails.

    So, while there may be plenty of XC 29er's and 26" AM rigs out there, 29er AM is extremely rare. AM does technical climbing better, all day long.

  32. #232
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Here's the mtbr thread dedicated to long travel 29er's, it's 14 pages long. The bikes are pretty high end, at least $4-5k retail or more, and uncommon. Please note that less than half the bikes have aggressive rear tires, most of them have lightly nobbed tires:

    Let's see those long travel 29ers! 140mm+ fork only.

    Here is the post your all mountain rig thread, its 343 pages long:

    Let's see those AM setups

    Almost everybody has an aggressive rear tire. Many bikes are upper-mid end, not particularly exotic, and thus MUCH more common on the trails.

    So, while there may be plenty of XC 29er's and 26" AM rigs out there, 29er AM is extremely rare. AM does technical climbing better, all day long.
    You need to share what you are smoking. People who are out to climb tech fast aren't riding long travel bikes. They are riding short travel or hard tail bikes with 29 inch wheels.

    These are the things that make a bike a good climber:

    Lightweight
    Steep Head tube angle + Long stem
    short travel

    long travel All Mountain bikes are none of these things. Tire choice is relevant only to the trail conditions and surfaces. not all trails call for a super aggro tire for good climbing performance, and many times, the rotational weigh saved from running a lightweight tire low tread tire is worth it over a heavy aggressive trail tire.

    Those are facts.

    I recently worked as a race mechanic at a gnarly east coast XC stage race for some pros and only one of my 5 racers was on 26 inch wheels, and she is small enough to justify based on geometry concerns. All were on the Specialized S-Works Epic. The racer using 26" won the women's Open Enduro classification, so credit where credit is due, but she is also an exceptionally talented descender. The rest were more competitive in the GC with one of my male riders in the top 5 over all and 2nd in the U23 GC with a stage win, and the two other female riders placing first and third in the female open GC with multiple stage wins between them. Not one single pro in that race that was competing for the open GC was on a 26 inch bike. Every single pro that was actually in the running for the podium was on a 29er. That should tell you something.

    You can argue that 26 is more fun, or makes you a better rider. You can argue that you like it more. You can argue that it's better in tight twisty track. You absolutely cannot argue that it's better for riding the gnar up hill. It's physics. Big wheels roll over stuff with less extra effort and that equals higher speeds when climbing with less energy expended. When the chips are down, riding up gnar is the name of the game, and being the fastest going up is how paychecks are earned, no one is riding 26 and that should tell you something. No one was riding more than 100mm of travel either outside of the Enduro stage either.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

  33. #233
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,724

    The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?
    So I'm older than you, and think you're a retrogrouch? Awesome.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

    Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

  34. #234
    Diggity Dog
    Reputation: ShinDiggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Here's the mtbr thread dedicated to long travel 29er's, it's 14 pages long. The bikes are pretty high end, at least $4-5k retail or more, and uncommon. Please note that less than half the bikes have aggressive rear tires, most of them have lightly nobbed tires:

    Let's see those long travel 29ers! 140mm+ fork only.

    Here is the post your all mountain rig thread, its 343 pages long:

    Let's see those AM setups

    Almost everybody has an aggressive rear tire. Many bikes are upper-mid end, not particularly exotic, and thus MUCH more common on the trails.

    So, while there may be plenty of XC 29er's and 26" AM rigs out there, 29er AM is extremely rare. AM does technical climbing better, all day long.
    And now it's specifically "typical" and "most" AM.

    Just give up while you are merely parsecs behind.

    I am having doubts you even ride a bike, at least without training wheels. Do they make AM tires for training wheels?

  35. #235
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Just because your bike isn't set up like that doesn't mean other people don't have bikes set up like that.
    You really need to think deeper into these subjects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    You need to share what you are smoking. People who are out to climb tech fast aren't riding long travel bikes. They are riding short travel or hard tail bikes with 29 inch wheels.

    These are the things that make a bike a good climber:

    Lightweight
    Steep Head tube angle + Long stem
    short travel

    long travel All Mountain bikes are none of these things. Tire choice is relevant only to the trail conditions and surfaces. not all trails call for a super aggro tire for good climbing performance, and many times, the rotational weigh saved from running a lightweight tire low tread tire is worth it over a heavy aggressive trail tire.

    Those are facts.

    I recently worked as a race mechanic at a gnarly east coast XC stage race for some pros and only one of my 5 racers was on 26 inch wheels, and she is small enough to justify based on geometry concerns. All were on the Specialized S-Works Epic. The racer using 26" won the women's Open Enduro classification, so credit where credit is due, but she is also an exceptionally talented descender. The rest were more competitive in the GC with one of my male riders in the top 5 over all and 2nd in the U23 GC with a stage win, and the two other female riders placing first and third in the female open GC with multiple stage wins between them. Not one single pro in that race that was competing for the open GC was on a 26 inch bike. Every single pro that was actually in the running for the podium was on a 29er. That should tell you something.

    You can argue that 26 is more fun, or makes you a better rider. You can argue that you like it more. You can argue that it's better in tight twisty track. You absolutely cannot argue that it's better for riding the gnar up hill. It's physics. Big wheels roll over stuff with less extra effort and that equals higher speeds when climbing with less energy expended. When the chips are down, riding up gnar is the name of the game, and being the fastest going up is how paychecks are earned, no one is riding 26 and that should tell you something. No one was riding more than 100mm of travel either outside of the Enduro stage either.
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race, because everybody would simply dismount and run up it. So I guess we're talking about two entirely different things. I'm not questioning that light XC 29er's have an advantage for XC racing.

    Here's a video of a juniors world cup race with a slightly technical climbing section, something I would plow right over without a second thought on my AM bike (and would pretty easily clear on my old school HT). In a race situation, it immediately becomes a hike-a-bike section, because most racers won't even try to clear it.....

    UCI Mountain Bike World Cup 2013 in Albstadt, Germany. Men Juniors. - YouTube

  36. #236
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,327
    Pictures man, show the goods. WHAT are you riding up that's so technical, that lesser riders cannot....?
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  37. #237
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    172

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Pictures man, show the goods. WHAT are you riding up that's so technical, that lesser riders cannot....?
    I have no dog in this fight however I am curious about this as well.

  38. #238
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Pictures man, show the goods. WHAT are you riding up that's so technical, that lesser riders cannot....?
    I'll get some pics at some point.
    Last edited by turbodog; 07-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.

  39. #239
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race, because everybody would simply dismount and run up it. So I guess we're talking about two entirely different things. I'm not questioning that light XC 29er's have an advantage for XC racing.
    Newsflash, XC racing is not about riding smooth flow trails fast. It's about climbing up the most technical single track you can find on the mountain as fast as you can, at least it is where I'm from. I know what technical is. I ride downhill gravity stuff too.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

  40. #240
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    584
    Clearly turbodog is a double agent, and his true passion is BIG WHEELS.

    Well played dog, but I had you pegged from the gittyup.

    As for myself, I'm gonna ride my 26" till the wheels fall off. By then, I should be "relaxed" enough to consider the two-niner.

    I seriously doubt I would settle for a 650b either way.

  41. #241
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    What's the rigid version of a hardtail....? LOL.

    I rode full rigid for two years when I first started riding. Would not go back. I'll take every advantage I can get - clipless, tubeless, suspension, discs - that I think is worth while. For trail riding, 26" is clearly an advantage over 29er's, so I'm happy to stick with it!
    fair point, bad use of words...hardtail implies only rigid out back with suspension fork, rigid implies no suspension in back or up front

    i have had every flavor of bike i was able to imagine...back around only having 10,000 posts, now i have resigned to having only a hardtail, a rigid MTB and a cross bike, i could never keep up with you

    in summary, 26ers rule

  42. #242
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    172

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    fair point, bad use of words...hardtail implies only rigid out back with suspension fork, rigid implies no suspension in back or up front

    in summary, 26ers rule
    I had a rigid when I first started MTB. The second suspension came out for the front I was all over it.

  43. #243
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    I had a rigid when I first started MTB. The second suspension came out for the front I was all over it.
    i think there is enough of a debate for which there is no "correct" answer in this thread already so i want pontificate why i prefer hardtails/rigid MTBs. the ladies like me rigid so thats why its my main choice nowadays

  44. #244
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    172

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    i think there is enough of a debate for which there is no "correct" answer in this thread already so i want pontificate why i prefer hardtails/rigid MTBs. the ladies like me rigid so thats why its my main choice nowadays
    Haha no debate here. Ride what you like. I rode rigid for two years until rockshox came to be. Just my personal preference.
    I love seeing rigid single speeds on the trails. I respect them way more than people with full suspension bikes on trails. They're always nicer people.

  45. #245
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BumpityBump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    856
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    i think there is enough of a debate for which there is no "correct" answer in this thread already so i want pontificate why i prefer hardtails/rigid MTBs. the ladies like me rigid so thats why its my main choice nowadays
    Fyi, you preferring hardtails does not seem to imply the ladies like it as much as it implies you like the rigid. Just sayin....

  46. #246
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    I love seeing rigid single speeds on the trails. I respect them way more than people with full suspension bikes on trails. They're always nicer people.
    not all of them. i for one am an utter ahole though in general, pretty good guys yeah

  47. #247
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race, because everybody would simply dismount and run up it. So I guess we're talking about two entirely different things. I'm not questioning that light XC 29er's have an advantage for XC racing.

    Here's a video of a juniors world cup race with a slightly technical climbing section, something I would plow right over without a second thought on my AM bike (and would pretty easily clear on my old school HT). In a race situation, it immediately becomes a hike-a-bike section, because most racers won't even try to clear it.....

    UCI Mountain Bike World Cup 2013 in Albstadt, Germany. Men Juniors. - YouTube
    You call that a technical climb. I could make that any time any day.
    In fact, a trail I ride every weekend has a very technical rock garden climb that I can make with my 29er that would be a lot more difficult with a 26er.

  48. #248
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Bottom line: turbodog is the best rider on the planet

    /thread

  49. #249
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,327
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race,
    And yet, you post a link to.... AN XC RACE!!!! lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Here's a video of a juniors world cup race with a slightly technical climbing section, something I would plow right over without a second thought on my AM bike (and would pretty easily clear on my old school HT). In a race situation, it immediately becomes a hike-a-bike section, because most racers won't even try to clear it.....

    UCI Mountain Bike World Cup 2013 in Albstadt, Germany. Men Juniors. - YouTube
    That's "Slightly Technical" to you?


    Seriously though... what do YOU ride?
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  50. #250
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,029
    This would be a great thread topic to start by a bike company that wants to shake up its product line next year.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Good deals on 26er 1-1/8 air fork?
    By TeeKay in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  2. 201 2 stumpjumper evo 26er or a giant reign 1 26er
    By loaderdavid in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  4. Has anyone gone from 26er to 29er and back to 26er?
    By grendelos in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •