Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Can we throw some clipless/flats debate into this equation too? 'Cuz I think we all agree that clipless is cheating and most/all/any/some flats riders' technical abilities will surely be better than your pet squirrel's?
    I've been riding clipless for 20 years, including racing DH clipless.

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Ratboy and Peaty are on 650b V10...
    Santa Cruz V10 27.5 Wheels Prototype
    We'll see if they run them at the WC...the Leogang win was on the 26er.

FWIW I didn't have much faith in "the Good Ol' 26er?"

The Good Ol' 26er?-img_0571.jpg

The Good Ol' 26er?-img_0572.jpg

...so I built up a brand new one. I LOVE how the Whippet came out 19.5lb ( but my Strava times have proven that the 29er ,27lb, is still faster by quite a bit).

V-Shaped Rut
    The best thing about this thread is that 99% of the people posting don't give a **** what they or anyone else is riding when they're out riding. But it's a congressional debate once the internet gets involved.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I can out climb you on any surface.

I'm sorry to tell you this (not) but you are the biggest idiot on this site. Only a moron would be led to think that a full blown downhill bike is easier to climb than a hardtail. I mean come on, a non lockout heavy full suspension bike versus a lightweight bike designed for climbing would see the hardtail as the winner no matter the wheel size (but 29ers rollover stuff better so it will still be a better technical climber because it will have less junk to avoid on the trail).
    You might want to rethink your theories now.
    Aw, you're so cute!!!! You're like a fluffy little puppy running around and nipping at everything! AWWWWWW!!!!!

Anyway, you grossly underestimate the importance of traction and suspension in climbing. I've done a ton of climbing on a light hardtail with a semi slick....before you were old enough to ride a bike. The slight improvement in rollover with a 29er is nothing compared to a beefy rear tire and bottomless smooth travel. Deal with it.

The Good Ol' 26er?-resized_creepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-oh-you-mad-deal-6c4cdf.jpg

And since when is a 31lb AM bike heavy? It's light enough that I can climb it with a 30x30 low gear. When you were 4 years old, I was climbing a 45lb+ dh bike with a 44x30 low gear and slammed seat, LOL.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Anyway, you grossly underestimate the importance of traction and suspension in climbing. I've done a ton of climbing on a light hardtail with a semi slick....before you were old enough to ride a bike. The slight improvement in rollover with a 29er is nothing compared to a beefy rear tire and bottomless smooth travel. Deal with it.
    And guess what? I can climb with a 34 single front ring and a 34 rear cog, and with tyres that have a lot of rolling resistance. I don't even lockout my fork.
    My bike is light (not carbon light, but still light). I don't know how steep your climbs were on your heavy ass downhill bike, but I bet I could climb them better than you.

banned
    Feb 2004
    And guess what? I can climb with a 34 single front ring and a 34 rear cog, and with tyres that have a lot of rolling resistance. I don't even lockout my fork.
    My bike is light (not carbon light, but still light). I don't know how steep your climbs were on your heavy ass downhill bike, but I bet I could climb them better than you.
    Humm. If you're riding tires with a lot of rolling resistance, especially on a 29er, you have alot to learn.

29ers Forever
    Humm. If you're riding tires with a lot of rolling resistance, especially on a 29er, you have alot to learn.
    Humm, If you're climbing steep hills with a downhill bike, you have a lot to learn.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Humm, If you're climbing steep hills with a downhill bike, you have a lot to learn.
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?

29ers Forever
    You do know that I'm twice your age and have been riding for about 10 times longer than you, right?
    You know that I'm half your age and am just as strong as you? Just because I have been mountain biking for only 3 years doesn't mean I am a weakling. Most of my riding includes steep hill climbs. I have a surprisingly strong endurance on the climbs and I am as strong on the descents.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    you may be ancient but i also know one of the best riders i have ever ridden with was born in the civil war era yet aquaholic is pretty gnar. though apologies to you tdawg...he ruins your hypothesis of what can and should be done on a hardtail, let alone a rigid version

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The only way you two are going to hash this out is meet up and prove each other wrong. It's been run reading nonetheless.

Diggity Dog
    Everybody is Ned Overend when they can simply hide behind a computer screen. You're simply being annoying. A talent which you are perfecting with every post.

(Oh wait a sec, Ned Overend is opened minded and rides a 29" bike but I'm sure you could kick his ass on a mountain bike. Right turdodog?)

One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail. Mediocre riders never shut up about how great they are and can be the most irritating sanctimonious DB's on the face of the earth. Gee, which one are you turdodog?

backwoods and backwards
    [QUOTE=ShinDiggity;11344922]

One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail.QUOTE]

Spoken for truth.

+rep

mtbr member

Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post
    Everybody is Ned Overend when they can simply hide behind a computer screen. You're simply being annoying. A talent which you are perfecting with every post.

(Oh wait a sec, Ned Overend is opened minded and rides a 29" bike but I'm sure you could kick his ass on a mountain bike. Right turdodog?)

One thing I have found out in my many years of cycling ... good riders don't need to talk about how good they are as they simply leave it on the road or trail. Mediocre riders never shut up about how great they are and can be the most irritating sanctimonious DB's on the face of the earth. Gee, which one are you turdodog?
    Carefully.
    If you hurt Turdos feelings, he might complain to the mods about you again.

Diggity Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Carefully.
    If you hurt Turdos feelings, he might complain to the mods about you again.
    Well I'm not saying what I really want to. I'm being nice. Scaling it back so I don't hurt poor little turdodogs feelings.

Diggity Dog
    I am, however, questioning my technical riding skills, experience, intellect, critical thinking skills, analytical skills, vocabulary, ego, mechanical skills, bow staff skills, and personal grooming habits. So far I am not impressed with myself.
    Fixed. You're welcome.

banned
    Feb 2004
    You know that I'm half your age and am just as strong as you? Just because I have been mountain biking for only 3 years doesn't mean I am a weakling. Most of my riding includes steep hill climbs. I have a surprisingly strong endurance on the climbs and I am as strong on the descents.
    I'm not questioning your strength or athletic ability. I am, however, questioning your technical riding skills, experience, intellect, critical thinking skills, analytical skills, vocabulary, ego, mechanical skills, bow staff skills, and personal grooming habits. So far I am not impressed.

banned
    Feb 2004

I'm not making any claims about my ability, other than that I'm experienced and considerably better than average, as a point of reference for the topic at hand. While there are certainly exceptions, it's pretty clear that in general people with less experience and technical ability tend to prefer 29er's, while experienced technical riders prefer 26".

29ers Forever
    I'm not questioning your strength or athletic ability. I am, however, questioning your technical riding skills, experience, intellect, critical thinking skills, analytical skills, vocabulary, ego, mechanical skills, bow staff skills, and personal grooming habits. So far I am not impressed.
    You know nothing about me.
    But in fact I know that you are an old pile of crap that is so instable that he (or she) can't come to terms with change and would rather complain to the internet and blabber to random people about your pain when you should just go on a ****ing mountain bike ride to ease your pain.
    Have fun climbing the grand canyon you overconfident loaf.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    ....what can and should be done on a hardtail, let alone a rigid version
    What's the rigid version of a hardtail....? LOL.

I rode full rigid for two years when I first started riding. Would not go back. I'll take every advantage I can get - clipless, tubeless, suspension, discs - that I think is worth while. For trail riding, 26" is clearly an advantage over 29er's, so I'm happy to stick with it!

banned
    Feb 2004
    You know nothing about me.
    But in fact I know that you are an old pile of crap that is so instable that he (or she) can't come to terms with change and would rather complain to the internet and blabber to random people about your pain when you should just go on a ****ing mountain bike ride to ease your pain.
    Have fun climbing the grand canyon you overconfident loaf.
    I also question your online etiquette! You don't seem to be a very nice person, either.

Diggity Dog
    I'm not making any claims about my ability, other than that I'm experienced and considerably better than average, as a point of reference for the topic at hand. While there are certainly exceptions, it's pretty clear that in general people with less experience and technical ability tend to prefer 29er's, while experienced technical riders prefer 26".
    Of course you are making claims about your ability. Aren't you even reading what you have written? All one has to do is read your posts touting how much better you are than any one you have ever met on a 29" bike. My guess would be you are a mediocre rider at best and are way over compensating for your glaringly obvious shortcomings. But since you are hiding behind the computer screen we'll never know now will we (even though we do know)?

29ers Forever
    I also question your online etiquette! You don't seem to be a very nice person, either.
    I'm a nice person when I am not trying to argue with a person who acts like a 5 year old.
    You have tried my patience and I have had it with you and your pathetic arguments.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Of course you are making claims about your ability. Aren't you even reading what you have written? All one has to do is read your posts touting how much better you are than any one you have ever met on a 29" bike. My guess would be you are a mediocre rider at best and are way over compensating for your glaringly obvious shortcomings. But since you are hiding behind the computer screen we'll never know now will we (even though we do know)?
    Sorry, but now I have to question your critical reading skills. I made a specific claim that I've out technical climb anyone I've met on a 29er - meaning that I typically stay on the bike and make it over rough terrain when they don't. Most people on 29er's are on hardtails with semi-slick or light knobs, both of which are a major disadvantage in technical climbing. I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have. I made no claims about speed or endurance over non-technical terrain, where clearly the 29er rider has an advantage.

Point being, big tires and long suspension trump the typical 29er XC hardtail setup for technical climbing.

banned
    Feb 2004
    I'm a nice person when I am not trying to argue with a person who acts like a 5 year old.
    You have tried my patience and I have had it with you and your pathetic arguments.
    Ok, cool. Feel free to not respond to my posts, and you will be the true winner here.

Name:  a_winner_is_you20110724-22047-1nd3wif.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  8.9 KB

Merendon Junkie
    So canondale F9 is what, 5 or 6 years old?

29ers Forever
    Sorry, but now I have to question your critical reading skills. I made a specific claim that I've out technical climb anyone I've met on a 29er - meaning that I typically stay on the bike and make it over rough terrain when they don't. Most people on 29er's are on hardtails with semi-slick or light knobs, both of which are a major disadvantage in technical climbing. I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have. I made no claims about speed or endurance over non-technical terrain, where clearly the 29er rider has an advantage.

Point being, big tires and long suspension trump the typical 29er XC hardtail setup for technical climbing.
    But again you are wrong. 29ers are better climbers with similar tyres and less suspension.

banned
    Feb 2004
    But again you are wrong. 29ers are better climbers with similar tyres and less suspension.
    Anything's possible, but virtually nobody sets them up like that. Unicorns are better climbers too, but they don't exist either...

So it's a bit of moot point now isn't?

29ers Forever
    Anything's possible, but virtually nobody sets them up like that. So it's a bit of moot point now isn't?
    Just because your bike isn't set up like that doesn't mean other people don't have bikes set up like that.
    You really need to think deeper into these subjects.

Diggity Dog

So now it's "typical" instead of "every", "most" instead of "all".

"I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have."

Rare set up? Where do you live? Oh that's right ... The Chocolate Factory. You need to get out more.

One disclaimer after another. Why don't you come back when you can actually stick with one "story".

Name:  1344220372096_9241455.png
Views: 234
Size:  39.0 KB

banned
    Feb 2004
    Just because your bike isn't set up like that doesn't mean other people don't have bikes set up like that.
    So now it's "typical" instead of "every", "most" instead of "all".

"I've never ridden with anyone with a long travel 29er with aggressive tires, which is understandable because that is a very rare setup to have."

Rare set up? Where do you live? Oh that's right ... The Chocolate Factory. You need to get out more.

One disclaimer after another. Why don't you come back when you can actually stick with one "story".

Name:  1344220372096_9241455.png
Views: 234
Size:  39.0 KB
    Here's the mtbr thread dedicated to long travel 29er's, it's 14 pages long. The bikes are pretty high end, at least $4-5k retail or more, and uncommon. Please note that less than half the bikes have aggressive rear tires, most of them have lightly nobbed tires:

Let's see those long travel 29ers! 140mm+ fork only.

Here is the post your all mountain rig thread, its 343 pages long:

Let's see those AM setups

Almost everybody has an aggressive rear tire. Many bikes are upper-mid end, not particularly exotic, and thus MUCH more common on the trails.

So, while there may be plenty of XC 29er's and 26" AM rigs out there, 29er AM is extremely rare. AM does technical climbing better, all day long.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's the mtbr thread dedicated to long travel 29er's, it's 14 pages long. The bikes are pretty high end, at least $4-5k retail or more, and uncommon. Please note that less than half the bikes have aggressive rear tires, most of them have lightly nobbed tires:

Almost everybody has an aggressive rear tire. Many bikes are upper-mid end, not particularly exotic, and thus MUCH more common on the trails.

So, while there may be plenty of XC 29er's and 26" AM rigs out there, 29er AM is extremely rare. AM does technical climbing better, all day long.
    You need to share what you are smoking. People who are out to climb tech fast aren't riding long travel bikes. They are riding short travel or hard tail bikes with 29 inch wheels.

These are the things that make a bike a good climber:

Lightweight
    Steep Head tube angle + Long stem
    short travel

long travel All Mountain bikes are none of these things. Tire choice is relevant only to the trail conditions and surfaces. not all trails call for a super aggro tire for good climbing performance, and many times, the rotational weigh saved from running a lightweight tire low tread tire is worth it over a heavy aggressive trail tire.

Those are facts.

I recently worked as a race mechanic at a gnarly east coast XC stage race for some pros and only one of my 5 racers was on 26 inch wheels, and she is small enough to justify based on geometry concerns. All were on the Specialized S-Works Epic. The racer using 26" won the women's Open Enduro classification, so credit where credit is due, but she is also an exceptionally talented descender. The rest were more competitive in the GC with one of my male riders in the top 5 over all and 2nd in the U23 GC with a stage win, and the two other female riders placing first and third in the female open GC with multiple stage wins between them. Not one single pro in that race that was competing for the open GC was on a 26 inch bike. Every single pro that was actually in the running for the podium was on a 29er. That should tell you something.

You can argue that 26 is more fun, or makes you a better rider. You can argue that you like it more. You can argue that it's better in tight twisty track. You absolutely cannot argue that it's better for riding the gnar up hill. It's physics. Big wheels roll over stuff with less extra effort and that equals higher speeds when climbing with less energy expended. When the chips are down, riding up gnar is the name of the game, and being the fastest going up is how paychecks are earned, no one is riding 26 and that should tell you something. No one was riding more than 100mm of travel either outside of the Enduro stage either.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

beater

The Good Ol' 26er?

So I'm older than you, and think you're a retrogrouch? Awesome.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Diggity Dog

And now it's specifically "typical" and "most" AM.

Just give up while you are merely parsecs behind.

I am having doubts you even ride a bike, at least without training wheels. Do they make AM tires for training wheels?

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    You need to share what you are smoking. People who are out to climb tech fast aren't riding long travel bikes. They are riding short travel or hard tail bikes with 29 inch wheels.

These are the things that make a bike a good climber:

Lightweight
    Steep Head tube angle + Long stem
    short travel

long travel All Mountain bikes are none of these things. Tire choice is relevant only to the trail conditions and surfaces. not all trails call for a super aggro tire for good climbing performance, and many times, the rotational weigh saved from running a lightweight tire low tread tire is worth it over a heavy aggressive trail tire.

Those are facts.

I recently worked as a race mechanic at a gnarly east coast XC stage race for some pros and only one of my 5 racers was on 26 inch wheels, and she is small enough to justify based on geometry concerns. All were on the Specialized S-Works Epic. The racer using 26" won the women's Open Enduro classification, so credit where credit is due, but she is also an exceptionally talented descender. The rest were more competitive in the GC with one of my male riders in the top 5 over all and 2nd in the U23 GC with a stage win, and the two other female riders placing first and third in the female open GC with multiple stage wins between them. Not one single pro in that race that was competing for the open GC was on a 26 inch bike. Every single pro that was actually in the running for the podium was on a 29er. That should tell you something.

You can argue that 26 is more fun, or makes you a better rider. You can argue that you like it more. You can argue that it's better in tight twisty track. You absolutely cannot argue that it's better for riding the gnar up hill. It's physics. Big wheels roll over stuff with less extra effort and that equals higher speeds when climbing with less energy expended. When the chips are down, riding up gnar is the name of the game, and being the fastest going up is how paychecks are earned, no one is riding 26 and that should tell you something. No one was riding more than 100mm of travel either outside of the Enduro stage either.
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race, because everybody would simply dismount and run up it. So I guess we're talking about two entirely different things. I'm not questioning that light XC 29er's have an advantage for XC racing.

Here's a video of a juniors world cup race with a slightly technical climbing section, something I would plow right over without a second thought on my AM bike (and would pretty easily clear on my old school HT). In a race situation, it immediately becomes a hike-a-bike section, because most racers won't even try to clear it.....

UCI Mountain Bike World Cup 2013 in Albstadt, Germany. Men Juniors. - YouTube

Airborne Flight Crew
    Pictures man, show the goods. WHAT are you riding up that's so technical, that lesser riders cannot....?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Pictures man, show the goods. WHAT are you riding up that's so technical, that lesser riders cannot....?
    I have no dog in this fight however I am curious about this as well.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I'll get some pics at some point.
    Last edited by turbodog; 07-24-2014 at 10:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race, because everybody would simply dismount and run up it. So I guess we're talking about two entirely different things. I'm not questioning that light XC 29er's have an advantage for XC racing.
    Newsflash, XC racing is not about riding smooth flow trails fast. It's about climbing up the most technical single track you can find on the mountain as fast as you can, at least it is where I'm from. I know what technical is. I ride downhill gravity stuff too.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

banned
    May 2014
    Clearly turbodog is a double agent, and his true passion is BIG WHEELS.

Well played dog, but I had you pegged from the gittyup.

As for myself, I'm gonna ride my 26" till the wheels fall off. By then, I should be "relaxed" enough to consider the two-niner.

I seriously doubt I would settle for a 650b either way.

What's the rigid version of a hardtail....? LOL.

I rode full rigid for two years when I first started riding. Would not go back. I'll take every advantage I can get - clipless, tubeless, suspension, discs - that I think is worth while. For trail riding, 26" is clearly an advantage over 29er's, so I'm happy to stick with it!
    fair point, bad use of words...hardtail implies only rigid out back with suspension fork, rigid implies no suspension in back or up front

i have had every flavor of bike i was able to imagine...back around only having 10,000 posts, now i have resigned to having only a hardtail, a rigid MTB and a cross bike, i could never keep up with you

in summary, 26ers rule

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

fair point, bad use of words...hardtail implies only rigid out back with suspension fork, rigid implies no suspension in back or up front

in summary, 26ers rule
    I had a rigid when I first started MTB. The second suspension came out for the front I was all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    I had a rigid when I first started MTB. The second suspension came out for the front I was all over it.
    i think there is enough of a debate for which there is no "correct" answer in this thread already so i want pontificate why i prefer hardtails/rigid MTBs. the ladies like me rigid so thats why its my main choice nowadays

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

i think there is enough of a debate for which there is no "correct" answer in this thread already so i want pontificate why i prefer hardtails/rigid MTBs. the ladies like me rigid so thats why its my main choice nowadays
    Haha no debate here. Ride what you like. I rode rigid for two years until rockshox came to be. Just my personal preference.
    I love seeing rigid single speeds on the trails. I respect them way more than people with full suspension bikes on trails. They're always nicer people.

mtbr member
    Fyi, you preferring hardtails does not seem to imply the ladies like it as much as it implies you like the rigid. Just sayin....

Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    I love seeing rigid single speeds on the trails. I respect them way more than people with full suspension bikes on trails. They're always nicer people.
    not all of them. i for one am an utter ahole though in general, pretty good guys yeah

29ers Forever

Here's a video of a juniors world cup race with a slightly technical climbing section, something I would plow right over without a second thought on my AM bike (and would pretty easily clear on my old school HT). In a race situation, it immediately becomes a hike-a-bike section, because most racers won't even try to clear it.....

You call that a technical climb. I could make that any time any day.
    In fact, a trail I ride every weekend has a very technical rock garden climb that I can make with my 29er that would be a lot more difficult with a 26er.

mtbr member

Bottom line: turbodog is the best rider on the planet

/thread

Airborne Flight Crew
    When I talk about technical climbing, I'm talking about stuff you would never, ever, even possibly think about putting in an XC race,
    And yet, you post a link to.... AN XC RACE!!!! lol!

That's "Slightly Technical" to you?

Seriously though... what do YOU ride?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This would be a great thread topic to start by a bike company that wants to shake up its product line next year.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast