Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hvrbreeze View Post
    Has anyone else found that amid all the wheel size debates the good old 26er is still a heck of alot of fun?
    All I have ridden is 26 and I love it. I pay no attention to wheel sizes. You can ride over anything on a 26 with the right skill level. I may be old school (started mtb in 1992) but I feel like 29er is almost cheating. Less agility than 26 and better over bumps. It doesn't sound challenging to me. Disclaimer: Never ridden a 29er.

Maybe I'm intolerable of change, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Pretty awesome stable you have. How does your 9er ride compared to the 27.5 rig?
    29er is very stable and fast once you get it rolling but the 27.5 is more nimble with explosive acceleration. You can do late braking on switchbacks and be able to turn quickly. My 29er weights @21.4 setup 1x10.

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    All I have ridden is 26 and I love it. I pay no attention to wheel sizes. You can ride over anything on a 26 with the right skill level. I may be old school (started mtb in 1992) but I feel like 29er is almost cheating. Less agility than 26 and better over bumps. It doesn't sound challenging to me. Disclaimer: Never ridden a 29er.

29'ers are challenging in their own way.
    I like both wheel sizes for different things.

mtbr member

Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post

Do you ride rigid singlespeed? Because gears and suspension can also be considered cheating depending on who you ask...

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Do you ride rigid singlespeed? Because gears and suspension can also be considered cheating depending on who you ask...
    I don't think 29er's are cheating, I think they are a hinderance for technical riding!!!

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I don't think 29er's are cheating, I think they are a hinderance for technical riding!!!
    Which again you are wrong. Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er proves itself on Vancouver trail | Bike Magic this article and video proves that 29ers are as capable as 26ers on technical trails.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Which again you are wrong. Santa Cruz Tallboy 29er proves itself on Vancouver trail | Bike Magic this article and video proves that 29ers are as capable as 26ers on technical trails.
    Finally! There's proof!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This is a good point. I haven't ridden rigid single speed in a very long time. Part of the fun for me is finding ways over technical parts on my lowly 26 inch wheels.

banned
    Feb 2004
    Why does everybody trying to ride tech on a 29er look like they are dancing on stilts....?

Tallboy's have been on heavy discount / closeut for many months.....I guess they aren't as popular as you would like us to believe.

beater

The Good Ol' 26er?

Why does everybody trying to ride tech on a 29er look like they are dancing on stilts....?
    Probably because they're "trying."

Do or do not do. There is no try.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

Tallboy's have been on heavy discount / closeut for many months.....I guess they aren't as popular as you would like us to believe.
    They're popular enough that SC made a Tallboy 2....maybe that's why the originals are on closeout?

BTW, did you see that the big S is abandoning ship on 26? How many tears were shed when you heard that news?

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    You'll never guess what size wheel this is :P

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CRK2tHrA-3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29ers Forever

Well they still make Tallboys. The same can't be said for most Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, and Scott 26ers save the basic hardtails and a few Freeride and Downhill bikes.

banned
    Feb 2004
    You guys are really stretching on this technical riding thing. I can tell you, every time I've ridden with people on 29ers, I've very clearly outridden them, both climbing and decending. I was riding, while they were walking - especially on the climbs. These are experienced riders too.

29ers Forever
    You guys are really stretching on this technical riding thing. I can tell you, every time I've ridden with people on 29ers, I've very clearly outridden them, both climbing and decending. I was riding, while they were walking - especially on the climbs. These are experienced riders too.
    That's just a lie. I rode both a 26er and a 29er on the same technical climb. I made it on my 29er and once because of a bad line choice I had to walk my 26er but every time I rode my 29er up it I made it.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I owned a Niner Air 9 for a little over 18 months. I recently sold it because I just could not come to grips with the way the bike handled. I think it's mostly due to getting my weight in the right position on the bike. For this reason, I never saw that the 29 was any faster than my 26, but I did see that I was burning more energy riding the 29 when compared to the 26.

A 27.5 Anthem has replaced the Niner. I still have my 2003 HT 26" bike and ride it regularly.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This 26, 27.5, 29 is way too confusing for me. I can't make up my mind so I'm going to wait until they come out with the 28 or 28 1/4. This will make everything ok in the bike world.

banned
    Feb 2004
    That's just a lie. I rode both a 26er and a 29er on the same technical climb. I made it on my 29er and once because of a bad line choice I had to walk my 26er but every time I rode my 29er up it I made it.
    Cool man. How much rear suspension travel do you have?

I have almost 7.5" of very active travel with no pedal feedback, and very grippy tires. Trust me, I can out climb you and any 29er's I come across.

Diggity Dog

I have almost 7.5" of very active travel with no pedal feedback, and very grippy tires. Trust me, I can out climb you and any 29er's I come across.
    You owe me a monitor. I just spit beer all over it.

Maybe you could yell upstairs and ask Mom for the money.

29ers Forever

Well I have a 100mm hardtail with very grippy tyres. I could outclimb you with my hardtail and any other 10 or 11 speed 29er out there.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie88 View Post
    this 26, 27.5, 29 is way too confusing for me. I can't make up my mind so i'm going to wait until they come out with the 28 or 28 1/4. This will make everything ok in the bike world.
    brilliant!
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ride a Turner Burner 26. It handles great and love it. But most of my friends leave me in the dust on their 29ers, they are faster. Can't see how at 27b is faster than a 29er but I can see how it would out handle it in really curvy terrain.
    agmtb

Airborne Flight Crew
    What do you consider to be technical anyhow? I rode most of last season on a 29er, raced BME on it and it never really hindered my ability to go where I wanted. I didn't care for how it jumped too much, and really would have like more travel, but I rode everything on that that I can on my 26... If there's a move I can't conquer, 99% chance that has to do with my mental state and ability, and about 1% or less has to do with the wheel size.

I believe people tend to put too much stock in wheel size, and not enough their own ability. It's not the wheel size, it's the rider....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

'Tis but a scratch
    Can somebody please remind me how to unsubscribe from a thread?

mtbr member

Say you came across your evil twin (or in your case, good twin), you're saying you could outclimb him if he was on....for instance....an uber light carbon FS 29er? You can't be serious....

mtbr member
    And you never answered my question turbodong, how much did you cry when your boy Mikey S decided to pull the plug on 26?

Pivoteer
    Both of my bikes are 26'ers, but I am not pushing back against the 650B revolution. My next bike is likely to be a 650B and I won't cry about it.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Say you came across your evil twin (or in your case, good twin), you're saying you could outclimb him if he was on....for instance....an uber light carbon FS 29er? You can't be serious....

banned
    Feb 2004
    Well I have a 100mm hardtail with very grippy tyres. I could outclimb you with my hardtail and any other 10 or 11 speed 29er out there.
    Maybe on a dirt road, but not on anything remotely technical.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    You'll never guess what size wheel this is :P

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CRK2tHrA-3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    lol, I can tell exactly what size wheel that is. It's not quite as big as a 29'er and not quite as nimble as a 26".

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie88 View Post
    This 26, 27.5, 29 is way too confusing for me. I can't make up my mind so I'm going to wait until they come out with the 28 or 28 1/4. This will make everything ok in the bike world.
    You will get your wish when they finally make a high volume 27.5" tire.

banned
    May 2014

With just a single sentence, you have rendered the previous 872 posts completely useless.

Next time throw in a little dirt roadie humor if you want people to laugh WITH you, instead of at you.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Both of my bikes are 26'ers, but I am not pushing back against the 650B revolution. My next bike is likely to be a 650B and I won't cry about it.
    Revolution? That just means it went full circle, doesn't it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

He's fast, way faster than you. Way faster than you and you too.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    You should be a pro xc racer turdo, or a pro downhiller for that matter, since you're the best at both!

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    With just a single sentence, you have rendered the previous 872 posts completely useless.

Next time throw in a little dirt roadie humor if you want people to laugh WITH you, instead of at you.
    Not sure you're following my point. All I'm saying is that my setup is massively superior for technical climbing (and decending) vs. the large majority of 29er's out on the trails. While I am a very good climber, I'm only at a moderate fitness level currently. Big part of it is the bike.

Futhermore, people will argue that you can setup 29er like my bike or any all mountain 26", and that's really the difference. But you can't really.

It's tough to get anything in a 29er with over 5" of travel, there's only a few models and they are pretty new and EXPENSIVE. I paid $350 (used) for my frame several years ago. Trust me, there is a pretty big difference between 4.5" of travel and 7.5".....like 3".

There is a ten percent weight difference for the larger 29er wheels vs. 26". What is borderline uncomfortable to pedal uphill on a 26" AM bike with an agressive tire/rim setup, becomes fully uncomfortable on a 29er. You're talking about nearly a full pound heavier in the wheels on the 29er, this costs you not only aceleration but also the nimbleness which is extremely important for technical cimbing.

So, the 29er rolls over stuff better? Great. But there is a LONG list of reasons why VAST majority of 29er's are short travel FS or HT, with nearly semi-slick tires. Better rollover simply isn't enough to let them keep up with a 26" trail/AM bike on technical terrain, including climbing.

Neg reppers r my biatches

you must get laid a lot bro

as for Tres Bottelas, ignore him (or her, not sure of gender) as you probably know yourself, a small penis has many a negative consquence in attitude

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    The sad thing about the whole wheel size argument is how the bike industry is using what they shoved down our throats as BENEFITS of 29ers as the reasons 29ers are now obsolete.

Watching videos of "industry reps" telling us that 650b wheels are 'quicker, lighter, and stronger' than those big, bulky unwieldy 29ers they sold us 2 years ago while barely able to keep from smirking is a joke.

Oh, and how much easier is it to design frames around 650b for small riders? Really? The same small riders you spent years convincing would be fine on a bike with 29" stand over and a -25 deg stem?

And people believed every word.../boggle
    Isn't that the truth. I'm glad I still have all my vintage 26" bikes.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    you must get laid a lot bro

as for Tres Bottelas, ignore him (or her, not sure of gender) as you probably know yourself, a small penis has many a negative consquence in attitude
    At least there was humor in that post of his you quoted. < one big grin >

Fo, the thought of you imagining my gender and my nethers is somewhere between a compliment and flat out creepy.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I believe people tend to put too much stock in wheel size, and not enough their own ability. It's not the wheel size, it's the rider....
    it's that negative thinking that will preclude your from ever being offered a job at Mountain Bike Action

Airborne Flight Crew
    Could be a new category, PRO-X-Technical-C-Down-Enduro-Hill-Technical where he could race and destroy everyone at once....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

banned
    Feb 2004
    Could be a new category, PRO-X-Technical-C-Down-Enduro-Hill-Technical where he could race and destroy everyone at once....
    I didn't say I can beat everyone, just most normal people on 29er's on technical terrain. But it's not a contest. Thanks.

mtbr member

I didn't say I can beat everyone, just most normal people on 29er's on technical terrain. But it's not a contest. Thanks.
    Heh, let's see what you said. Exactly.

Trust me, I can out climb you and any 29er's I come across.
    So is it "most normal people" or "any"?

Airborne Flight Crew
    You can beat people, but it's not a contest... how's that work? (sorry, just having fun)

Do you have an example of what your technical terrain is?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

backwoods and backwards
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    But Kona and Santa Cruz are pushing up production on the next round of tweeners? Also, Gwinn has been doing some of the cup on a 7ish inch travel 650b.

I think Santa Cruz Syndicate is the only team running 26ers exclusively. Gwinn runs a 650b, but with no tire it's more like a 26er.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I think Santa Cruz Syndicate is the only team running 26ers exclusively. Gwinn runs a 650b, but with no tire it's more like a 26er.
    Ratboy and Peaty are on 650b V10...
    Santa Cruz V10 27.5 Wheels Prototype

backwoods and backwards
    You can beat people, but it's not a contest... how's that work?
    It's called STRAVA!!!!

banned
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Heh, let's see what you said. Exactly.

So is it "most normal people" or "any"?
    "any 29er's that I come across".

Most (all) the really good technical riders I see out on the trails in my area are on 26".

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Can we throw some clipless/flats debate into this equation too? 'Cuz I think we all agree that clipless is cheating and most/all/any/some flats riders' technical abilities will surely be better than your pet squirrel's?

29ers Forever
    Maybe on a dirt road, but not on anything remotely technical.
    I can out climb you on any surface.

Not sure you're following my point. All I'm saying is that my setup is massively superior for technical climbing (and decending) vs. the large majority of 29er's out on the trails. While I am a very good climber, I'm only at a moderate fitness level currently. Big part of it is the bike.

Futhermore, people will argue that you can setup 29er like my bike or any all mountain 26", and that's really the difference. But you can't really.

It's tough to get anything in a 29er with over 5" of travel, there's only a few models and they are pretty new and EXPENSIVE. I paid $350 (used) for my frame several years ago. Trust me, there is a pretty big difference between 4.5" of travel and 7.5".....like 3".

There is a ten percent weight difference for the larger 29er wheels vs. 26". What is borderline uncomfortable to pedal uphill on a 26" AM bike with an agressive tire/rim setup, becomes fully uncomfortable on a 29er. You're talking about nearly a full pound heavier in the wheels on the 29er, this costs you not only aceleration but also the nimbleness which is extremely important for technical cimbing.

So, the 29er rolls over stuff better? Great. But there is a LONG list of reasons why VAST majority of 29er's are short travel FS or HT, with nearly semi-slick tires. Better rollover simply isn't enough to let them keep up with a 26" trail/AM bike on technical terrain, including climbing.
    I'm sorry to tell you this (not) but you are the biggest idiot on this site. Only a moron would be led to think that a full blown downhill bike is easier to climb than a hardtail. I mean come on, a non lockout heavy full suspension bike versus a lightweight bike designed for climbing would see the hardtail as the winner no matter the wheel size (but 29ers rollover stuff better so it will still be a better technical climber because it will have less junk to avoid on the trail).
    You might want to rethink your theories now.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast