Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Benefits of wheel size can, and will likely always be debatable. What we are witnessing, is a huge marketing push towards 27.5 right now as manufacturers see a new market segment to exploit. There's a LOT of hype.

After this dust settles I do believe, that in time, a resurgence of the "benefits of the 26 wheel" will come full circle - giving yet again another opportunity for marketing exploitation.
    It's all hype!

Name:  YkthP7d.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  22.3 KB
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    LOL, keep dreaming kiddo. 650b is going to steal sales from the 29er market.

People who know what's up will continue buying 26" just like they always have, and a good number of 29er's are already coming back to 26".

Most serious riders see 650b for the marketing scam that it is.
    Why all the butthurt over wheel size? Seems trite. There are a lot of long time riders that aren't just buying 650b and 29ers because they are suckered in by a scam, myself included. Variety is the spice of life, eh? I'm just glad I have the opportunity to own a bike and ride great trails, period. That's what mountain biking was originally about anyway, tweaking and trying new things. That feeling of enjoyment hasn't changed for most people just because of technological change as far as I'm concerned. Be glad we live a free life with choices, it could be far worse.

beater

The Good Ol' 26er?

and a good number of 29er's are already coming back to 26".
    You love to post sources, so....
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got the Minion 2.5 29er.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nah, 650b is going to die off pretty quickly when mountain bike sales tank this spring and summer because of it.

650b is being pushed by Taiwan bike makers, Giant's parent company and whomever makes Trek (partly Giant). They are pretty annoyed about having to supply both 29er's and 26". They'd like to kill off both and just have 650b. Fact is though, that's a fools errand. The people who like 29er's (XC racers and dirt roadies) are pretty much rabid about them and won't step down to 650b. Real trail riders are still riding 26", or will come back to 26" after being sold a 29er that didn't work for them.

Once the fanboys and trendy people with deep pockets are done, there will be nobody else left to buy 650b, and sales will fall off a cliff. I mean seriously, who is stupid and gullible enough to buy into this fabricated push into a completely new and only slightly different wheel size?
    But Kona and Santa Cruz are pushing up production on the next round of tweeners? Also, Gwinn has been doing some of the cup on a 7ish inch travel 650b. I am skeptical of new things mountain bike. But between the bikes evolving around this wheel and the amount of them I'm seeing at the trailhead, I have to believe this is going to stay around for a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    Why all the butthurt over wheel size? Seems trite. There are a lot of long time riders that aren't just buying 650b and 29ers because they are suckered in by a scam, myself included. Variety is the spice of life, eh? I'm just glad I have the opportunity to own a bike and ride great trails, period. That's what mountain biking was originally about anyway, tweaking and trying new things. That feeling of enjoyment hasn't changed for most people just because of technological change as far as I'm concerned. Be glad we live a free life with choices, it could be far worse.
    I feel personally insulted by a segment of the bike industry, for obvious reasons.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I got the Minion 2.5 29er.
    Nice. How's that working for you? Amazing tires.

They are claimed at just over 1000g, bit heavy? My 2.3's are 750g in 26".
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    I feel personally insulted by a segment of the bike industry, for obvious reasons.
    I think you should write them, the segment of the bike industry responsible, a strongly worded letter detailing the pain and suffering you are enduring as a result of others having more fun on their bike than you.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I think you should write them, the segment of the bike industry responsible, a strongly worded letter detailing the pain and suffering you are enduring as a result of others having more fun on their bike than you.
    I might do that.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    You're missing the point of mountain biking. For most of us it's an enjoyable hobby that combines the outdoors, good exercise, and aesthetically pleasing bicycles. It is not life or death, buying new bikes and components doesn't make us angry or bitter, and we don't necessarily find fulfillment in grimly pedaling the cheapest bike we could find down the trail.

In fact (as I've said), I like spending money on bikes and components. I certainly have to pay a lot of money for things that I don't want to spend money on.

The debate over the details is part of the fun. And I can tell the difference between parts.

Mediocre is also the wrong word to use. It implies that there is some purpose to the whole thing when in fact it's just a very interesting recreational activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Great post:

Bike industry can get away with that because mountain bikers are SHEEP!

Riders will agonize and debate with one another every little detail on their bike. This is after all the internet, where everyone is an EXPERT.

Then they get on the trail where they are just another mediocre rider who cannot actually tell the difference in ride between 26er and 27.5, between 32mm stanctions vs 35mm, or any number of other choices they wasted so much time and effort on.

But no doubt they they get right back on the internet after the ride to tell everyone how much difference that upgrade made and give themselves a big pat on the back for making such an awesome choice.

SHEEP!
    Evdog or as we call him around here (mini-me due to a striking resemblance vern troyer) is completely missing the point. This is in part to his opinion of himself that he is not a sheep, expert of all things and not a mediocre rider. When in fact, he is a mediocre rider, a sheep and does not know it all.

Mountain biking is supposed to be fun and who cares if there is a debate between wheel sizes, 32mm stanchions vs 35mm stanchions. Hell, my wife doesn't know any of those things and she can kick your ass on the bike. And shes only ridden a 29er since we started riding 5 years ago. We are now in the process of selling her FS 29er and going to go with 650b. She will still have a HT 29er for most of her XC stuff.

Don't be so angry and bitter evdog. Stop lurking and trolling the internet day in and day out. It is a lonely way to live a social life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Brits don't seem to be taking this 650b thing very well either:

650b no difference??? Singletrack Forum
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member

Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

650b no difference??? « Singletrack Forum
    If there's no difference just MAKE YOUR NEXT BIKE A 650 AND STOP *****ING ABOUT IT. Problem solved

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Interesting read.
    "And now they've got away with this, just wait and see how many standards they change in the move to road discs.
    They've established that they can screw us over as often as they like and we will just bend over and take it."

mtbr member

The Good Ol' 26er?

Who screwed us? They're running businesses, we're consumers. Vote with your wallet and stfu.

I feel lucky to have choices and be able to ride a bike that is light years more capable than what I had 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Actually, that thread reads pretty much just like this thread with supporters, fence sitters, and whiners like yourself. Time to put on your big boy pants.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

What are you pedaling and trail type? I have few of the purgatory 2.4's and love them.

Combat Wombat
    An entertaining read. Been mountain biking since 1990 and rode my first nice 29er about 7 years ago. Trek HT of some sort. Can not remember what model, but the gentleman that let me try it is a hard core racer geek and has always spent lots of money on his rides. Anyway, once I got out of the parking lot and had to focus on the trail and stopped staring at that huge tire in front of me, I thought why the hell have I had to put up with 26" wheels for so long. Have I ever thought that 29ers would replace 26ers? In the xc world, which is where the majority of riders fall, I figured the 29er would rule and it has. But the 26er would hang in there for other types of riding.

I have had no interest in the 650b, figuring they are too close to a 26" to be much different. Although I got say, two local riders that have been pretty hardcore 26er holdouts, have recently started riding FS 650b's. They both tried and hated 29ers, but they are loving their 650b's. I am kind of wondering if it has more to do with the quality of the suspension than tire size. One rides an Intense and the other, one of the new KTMs. This does bring up an interesting point. I think by 2016 there will be two standard wheel sizes, the 29er and 650b, with the maybe, just maybe, the exception of DJ and fat tire bikes. What about everything else in 26ers? How about this for turn-about.....what significant advantage does the 26" wheel offer over the 650b?

In the last 24 years, I have heard and read similar debates on trigger shifters, disc brakes, 9-speed, and wide riser bars. There has been just as many items and ideas that have fallen by the wayside. By and far, the mountain biking community has been and is a pretty trendy group. Everyone has a retro grouch in the group, but the majority are always looking for the latest and greatest. Regardless of how much the industry has tried to supposedly force fads down our throats, in the long run, things that work stick around and those that don't, go away.

In a year and a half, I am going to bump this post. Going to be fun seeing who gets to eat a big ol' plate of crow.

Perpetual n00b

The Good Ol' 26er?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    ... How about this for turn-about.....what significant advantage does the 26" wheel offer over the 650b?
    Quicker steering
    Quicker acceleration
    Easier to pedal kick
    Easier to build short chain stay frames
    Axle closer to ground requires less lean angle to turn same arc
    Fits wider range of riders
    Fits easier onto bike racks
    Fits easier into car or trunk
    Wheels are lighter and stronger
    Small diameter brake rotors provide plenty of stopping power (less weight = lower rotating mass)
    Strong second hand market for parts

These things will matter to some more than others. If you think you need more roll over then by all means ride a bigger wheel. More 26er crap for me!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Elitest thrill junkie

Yeah, but it's a minion. Best damn tire ever, and in 29x2.5, amazing. IDK if I'd try skinnier. I've ran the 2.5s many times and I felt like that was the sweet spot for DH.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'll be sticking with my ss 26 and buying a cyclocross instead of a 27.5 or 29.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, but it's a minion. Best damn tire ever, and in 29x2.5, amazing. IDK if I'd try skinnier. I've ran the 2.5s many times and I felt like that was the sweet spot for DH.
    I took off old style single ply 2.5's to mount the 2.30's. A hair narrower, but clearly lighter. Grip just as well for me.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Advantages of 26 0ver 650b

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    How about this for turn-about.....what significant advantage does the 26" wheel offer over the 650b?
    Well, 26" is potentially around 6% lighter / stronger / stiffer / faster to accelerate / more agile / shorter in the stays / FUN! over 650B.

That 6% gain in those areas where 26" actually has the advantage, is the reason I wish the bike industry sshls would go back to them as the premier wheel size.

Unfortunately, when they do go back to smaller wheel sizes in a few years, we all know that the move will come with a bunch of new "standards" making everything that went before irrelevant. For them its about making money, not riding bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    "How about this for turn-about.....what significant advantage does the 26" wheel offer over the 650b?" (BrianU)

Well, 26" is potentially around 6% lighter / stronger / stiffer / faster to accelerate / more agile / shorter in the stays / FUN! over 650B.

That 6% gain in those areas where 26" actually has the advantage, is the reason I wish the bike industry sshls would go back to them as the premier wheel size.

Unfortunately, when they do go back to smaller wheel sizes in a few years, we all know that the move will come with a bunch of new "standards" making everything that went before irrelevant. For them its about making money, not riding bikes.

mtbr member
    You mean a corporation wants to make money?????

Oh, the horrors!

29ers Forever
    It's all hype!

Name:  YkthP7d.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  22.3 KB
    Seriously what is with all those OLD Charlie and the Chocolate factory references?
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast