Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 459
  1. #301
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    We need a standard by which to measure "technical" terrain. I give this trail ("3-mile Trail") a high "technical" rating. It is difficult. It is more difficult in reverse, but still rideable. I've done it on 26 rigid and 29er rigid. It's still difficult - I'm sure I had some dabs every time.
    (this is a buddy on a FS 26er - riding UP this spot is difficult, I think - but not impossible by any stretch)
    Attachment 912213

    -F
    It looks even harder with the leaves on the ground.

  2. #302
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    We need a standard by which to measure "technical" terrain. I give this trail ("3-mile Trail") a high "technical" rating. It is difficult. It is more difficult in reverse, but still rideable. I've done it on 26 rigid and 29er rigid. It's still difficult - I'm sure I had some dabs every time.
    (this is a buddy on a FS 26er - riding UP this spot is difficult, I think - but not impossible by any stretch)
    Attachment 912213

    -F
    I would call that somewhat technical, but it pretty much looks like a normal trail to me.

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Welcome to CT (click on video)...in 15 years of riding here I only ever saw one other guy make this one.



  4. #304
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447
    Great, this thread has gone from "my wheels are better than yours" to "my trails are harder than yours".
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Great, this thread has gone from "my wheels are better than yours" to "my trails are harder than yours".
    What makes a trail "techy"? Steep, loose, bumpy, twisty, tight, shytty approach/no run-in speed...all play a part. The vid I posted has a bit of everything. I'm sold on my 29er, but have never cleaned that climb on big wheels...too much wheel base, and not enough acceleration to make the right-hander/step-up. There's another climb in that forest that's so long/steep I fitted a 20T grannyand would set the rebound to full slow to try and ride it...never got that one bottom to top, but I had gotten every section at one point or another. There's the right tool for any job, but not one tool for every job.

    None of the wheel formats is perfect for all situations. 27.5 seems like an excellent compromise for the guys who only keep one bike in the quiver. I also think that the 27.5 format might have a big impact on the old 26er guys who never bought into the big tires trend.( 2.3 Michellin were over an inch taller than kenda 1.9s). I'm not interested in a 27.5 for the sake of having the newest stuff. When the time comes that I need new tools I'll see what's out there and buy what I want for the job I'm doing.

  6. #306
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I would call that somewhat technical, but it pretty much looks like a normal trail to me.
    A normal trail? Even for you that cannot be a normal trail. It reminds me of some local trails that when wet are near impossible to climb. Other than that it sort of reminds me of Lonely Rock trail at Pine Hill Park, although LR is not as rugged.

  7. #307
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Welcome to CT (click on video)...in 15 years of riding here I only ever saw one other guy make this one.


    There's simply no way you could clear that on your typical 29er XC bike / hybrid.

  8. #308
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    There's simply no way you could clear that on your typical 29er XC bike / hybrid.
    I could. (my 29r had a 140 fork, and 100mm rear travel).

    What is "typical" anyhow?

    Ever going to post some of the epic technical trails you ride?
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  9. #309
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    There's simply no way you could clear that on your typical 26er XC bike / hybrid.
    Fixed!

  10. #310
    Genius
    Reputation: De La Pena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    936
    I am tired of the 27 and 29er manufacturer marketing BS more than anything. They are setting everyone up to reintroduce the 26er again in a few years. You guys see that right?
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

  11. #311
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by De La Pena View Post
    I am tired of the 27 and 29er manufacturer marketing BS more than anything. They are setting everyone up to reintroduce the 26er again in a few years. You guys see that right?
    No company would drop the larger wheelsizes for smaller wheels. But a few 27ers might become 26ers again in a few years. But even that is unlikely.

  12. #312
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dirt n Dust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I could. (my 29r had a 140 fork, and 100mm rear travel).

    What is "typical" anyhow?

    Ever going to post some of the epic technical trails you ride?
    Agreed. We would all like to see these trails you speak of and you making the "very technical" climbs that a 29er couldn't possibly make.

  13. #313
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I could. (my 29r had a 140 fork, and 100mm rear travel).

    What is "typical" anyhow?

    Ever going to post some of the epic technical trails you ride?
    Nope. Turbodog is your typical internet expert. The dude can rip! Trust him

  14. #314
    Genius
    Reputation: De La Pena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    Agreed. We would all like to see these trails you speak of and you making the "very technical" climbs that a 29er couldn't possibly make.
    I will vouch for jhazard and I am not a 27 or 29er fan. He has my respect. He is well known as a phenomenal rider and an elite photographer. New Mexico, where he resides, has world class chunk and alpine trails. His work gets published regularly in various magazines/publications.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

  15. #315
    Genius
    Reputation: De La Pena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I think he was referring to turbodog...
    Ehhh... perhaps so.... tough thread to follow.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by De La Pena View Post
    I will vouch for jhazard. He has my respect. He is well known as a phenomenal rider and an elite photographer. New Mexico, where he resides, has world class chunk and alpine trails. His work gets published regularly in various magazines/publications.
    I think he was referring to turbodog...

  17. #317
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dirt n Dust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I think he was referring to turbodog...
    Yes I was...it wasn't very clear in my post.

    I have seen the skills jhazard has on any wheel size. The man is a beast on the trails. I have not yet seen turbo back up all his talk with video proof.

    These threads are very tired and pointless. I have been able to ride all three wheel sizes (so I speak from experience here) and I can truly say that it is all about personal preference, skill, and riding style. So far the biggest difference I have found was what tire I was using, not the wheel size.

  18. #318
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    No company would drop the larger wheelsizes for smaller wheels. But a few 27ers might become 26ers again in a few years. But even that is unlikely.
    You're 18 years old. You know NOTHING about the bike industry or history.

  19. #319
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You're 18 years old. You know NOTHING about the bike industry or history.
    That's a laugh. I know a lot more about everything than you think.
    You should really start to get evidence before you post your stupid comments.

  20. #320
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    Agreed. We would all like to see these trails you speak of and you making the "very technical" climbs that a 29er couldn't possibly make.
    ...so that we can come over and ride them. They sound incredible!

    At least gimme some coordinates for a trailhead, or an elevation profile of a route.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I think I know a lot more about everything than you think.
    Fixed it for ya

  22. #322
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    I know about "the bike industry and history" as Turddog put it. In fact I have researched a lot about early mountainbiking. I have seen trends as 29ers gradually became more popular since 2005, and I have seen (at least in the USA) how trends have been changing since the beginnings of suspension. If that hadn't come out we'd all still be riding fully rigid steel 26ers.

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252
    You've seen? Come on man, you're like 17

  24. #324
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    You've seen? Come on man, you're like 17
    Uhh there's something called the internet. I've done research on this subject. Don't think because I am younger than you that I am dumber than you.

  25. #325
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,417
    Quote Originally Posted by De La Pena View Post
    I will vouch for jhazard and I am not a 27 or 29er fan. He has my respect. He is well known as a phenomenal rider and an elite photographer. New Mexico, where he resides, has world class chunk and alpine trails. His work gets published regularly in various magazines/publications.

    I dunno 'bout all that, but thanks for the vote of confidence (I regularly get schooled by the peeps I ride with on various obstacles, but makes me a better rider)
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  26. #326
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dbhammercycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,644
    There is a big difference between reading (imagining) and experiencing (seeing). The written word is powerful, but many would rather listen to experience than trust the comprehension skills of a reader who has not done the deed or acted the part, regardless of age. This is not simply semantics, or is it?

    Also: "Don't trust everything you read on the internet." -Abe Lincoln
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

  27. #327
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    No company would drop the larger wheelsizes for smaller wheels. But a few 27ers might become 26ers again in a few years. But even that is unlikely.
    Kona and Commencal just introduced brand spanking new 2015 model 26ers. Don't be surprised if others follow. There are plenty of people on this forum, Pinkbike, etc that are begging for 26ers. It would be unwise for companies to ignore the demand.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  28. #328
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Kona and Commencal just introduced brand spanking new 2015 model 26ers. Don't be surprised if others follow. There are plenty of people on this forum, Pinkbike, etc that are begging for 26ers. It would be unwise for companies to ignore the demand.
    I'm not saying that 26ers won't stop being made, I am saying that companies most likely won't replace the large wheels by small wheels.

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I dunno 'bout all that, but thanks for the vote of confidence (I regularly get schooled by the peeps I ride with on various obstacles, but makes me a better rider)
    Most truly skilled riders act like this^ on the interwebz. Take note turbodog and cannondale.

    I've watched many of Mr Hazard's vids over on the Airborne forum, he's a beast! And a modest one too!

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Uhh there's something called the internet. I've done research on this subject. Don't think because I am younger than you that I am dumber than you.
    Not saying you're dumb, but you've been called out numerous times for giving advice on things you clearly know very little about

  31. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    86

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I know about "the bike industry and history" as Turddog put it. In fact I have researched a lot about early mountainbiking. I have seen trends as 29ers gradually became more popular since 2005, and I have seen (at least in the USA) how trends have been changing since the beginnings of suspension. If that hadn't come out we'd all still be riding fully rigid steel 26ers.
    Too funny.

    The thing that 29ers did was add an entirely new market (new people) to mountain biking that nobody knew existed.

    When I was your age we were dirt jumping, downhilling, all mountain (wasn't even a word, free riding was the word!), urban, commuting our slacked out Marzocchi forked 26in wheeled cross country bikes while watching cranked on a weekly basis.... Oh those were good ole days where this BS bickering about tire size didn't matter. Not only that, nowadays a bike for practically every single genre of biking is being produced. What a fantastic time to be a consumer!

    I am so happy my first bike was not a 29er... But these new people to the scene like this young googler here... They will never know how much fun a 26er really is cause yes... In the end they take more energy to ride.. but the reason why that is true... Is the reason why 26ers make mountain biking so damn fun.

    I would stop having such a strong opinion on this kid. You have no idea what you're talking about. Go ride your bike instead.

  32. #332
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Not saying you're dumb, but you've been called out numerous times for giving advice on things you clearly know very little about
    That was last year. But now I am making sure to know about the subject before commenting, not just saying my opinion like Tirbodog is doing now.

    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Most truly skilled riders act like this^ on the interwebz. Take note turbodog and cannondale.

    I've watched many of Mr Hazard's vids over on the Airborne forum, he's a beast! And a modest one too!
    I never said I was the best rider in the world. I only stated that I can ride a 29" wheeled bike on a rough trail. I know I am not the best but I keep getting better every time I hit the trails.

  33. #333
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Uhh there's something called the internet. I've done research on this subject. Don't think because I am younger than you that I am dumber than you.
    Name:  Quotation-Ray-Bradbury-beginning-teenagers-wisdom-Meetville-Quotes-278125.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  73.1 KB

  34. #334
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Most truly skilled riders act like this^ on the interwebz. Take note turbodog and cannondale.
    I used to get schooled by a few expert and semi-pro DHer's.....does that count?

  35. #335
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    When I was your age we were dirt jumping, downhilling, all mountain (wasn't even a word, free riding was the word!), urban, commuting our slacked out Marzocchi forked 26in wheeled cross country bikes while watching cranked on a weekly basis....
    When I was his age, I was riding a Ti hardtail with 22" wide bars and spandex. Thankfully, I moved on.

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    86

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    When I was his age, I was riding a Ti hardtail with 22" wide bars and spandex. Thankfully, I moved on.
    Hold up.. You afforded a Ti hardtail at 17! Damn. I was riding a trek 8000 with an MRP (with the orange rollers metal bash guards), pro tapers, kore b52 stem... Something that would look absolutely ridiculous right now and i believe i got a Polaroid of it somewhere around here..

    I never wore spandex and I've graduated to a steel frame and 800mm handle bars.

    Got nothing against spandex, but i would have a helluva a lot more scars if I wore those then.

  37. #337
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezy View Post
    Hold up.. You afforded a Ti hardtail at 17! Damn. I was riding a trek 8000 with an MRP (with the orange rollers metal bash guards), pro tapers, kore b52 stem... Something that would look absolutely ridiculous right now and i believe i got a Polaroid of it somewhere around here..

    I never wore spandex and I've graduated to a steel frame and 800mm handle bars.

    Got nothing against spandex, but i would have a helluva a lot more scars if I wore those then.
    I worked in a shop, got a pro deal.

  38. #338
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I worked in a shop, got a pro deal.
    I want to work at a bike shop, but there are no open jobs and then I am "too young". Maybe next summer I'll be able to get a job there.

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    There's simply no way you could clear that on your typical 29er XC bike / hybrid.
    Don't know...my 29er is a 5" Stumpy FSR with big shoes ( 2.4f/2.1r ). Yes, I could make it on a 4" 26er.

    I would sometimes ride with a friend who was a climber...he loved it 'cause a ride would turn into a bouldering session. We could run at the same techy problem over and over. Spend 90 min and a pound of skin to cover 4 miles twice a week and your technique gets pretty good after a while. We got really good at that sort of thing not because we're "great riders", we got really good because it was a fun game to play.

  40. #340
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Don't know...my 29er is a 5" Stumpy FSR with big shoes ( 2.4f/2.1r ). Yes, I could make it on a 4" 26er.
    Well, I'll believe that. I'm talking about your typical XC hardtail with semislicks, 95%+ of the 29er market - AKA glorified hybrids.

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Well, I'll believe that. I'm talking about your typical XC hardtail with semislicks, 95%+ of the 29er market - AKA glorified hybrids.
    Xc hardtails with "semislicks" were around long before 29" wheels

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Xc hardtails with "semislicks" were around long before 29" wheels
    Yup... and they totally rip on buff hardpack! Super fun in either format!

    Here's the thing that seems to get lost ( some of you all might take notes ). Ripping buff trails on speedy bikes is awesome...so is slamming rocky chunk on a burley bike. Being young(er) and learning it all is great...so is getting old and making up the gap in my fitness with the years of techniques I've polished in those miles. It's great that some can get one bike to do it all...It's great to have a quiver full of bikes. Lycra clad pros are admirable but no more than the obese guy taking his first stab at an active lifestyle after 10 years on the couch. Now you go ahead and tell me that one rider or one style or one kind of bike OR ONE WHEEL SIZE is better than another...BS! You think the industry trends and marketing hype are bigger than cycling as a sport or culture? BS again! It can be fun to talk about it all ( while we wait for legs to recover, rain to stop, parts to arrive, etc ) but none of is that important in the bigger picture. Don't spew out a bunch of elitist flavored generalizations about the sport so many of us love.

    I like a lot of different beers because they're all delicious and make my head feel funny in a wonderful way... just like mountain biking.

    K.

  43. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,287
    noicely done, mojo k. it's like arguing about the perfect boob size. should it all fit in my hand or do i wanna sprain my toungue? wtf?

    smooth lines, jump lines, tech lines it doesn't f'n matter what wheel size you're on as long as you take the fast&fun smile your ass off lines.

    disclaimer: every kid starting out should ride bmx if possible. skill>whl size.

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,745
    Well put. Today my wife and I took our road bikes for a tour of a small town on a bay and it was just as much fun as any other type of riding I do. Who gives a rat's arsh about wheel size, suspension, this, that and the other thing. It's a freakin' bike! We're not talking brain surgery.

  45. #345
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Xc hardtails with "semislicks" were around long before 29" wheels
    Correct, but people using them on 26" had no illusions about when and why they were being used for - XC racing on mostly smooth tracks.

    I have a problem when people start claiming a XC 29er with semislicks is a reasonable all around trail bike - because their LBS told them so, they spent a pile of money, and now its the BEST EVAR!!!1!!1

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Sorry man, those are both hybrids. They look REALLY similar, don't they!




  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Correct, but people using them on 26" had no illusions about when and why they were being used for - XC racing on mostly smooth tracks.

    I have a problem when people start claiming a XC 29er with semislicks is a reasonable all around trail bike - because their LBS told them so, they spent a pile of money, and now its the BEST EVAR!!!1!!1
    Still waiting on some vids of these gnarly trails that you ride, brah

  47. #347
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    At a glance it looks like the head tube and seat tube angles are lower, effective top tube looks an maybe an inch longer, head tube most of an inch shorter, plus compact gearing ( with better clearance )and it's hard to tell for sure, but maybe a bit more braking power with a 7" rotor up front...

    They both have big black tires and say Trek on the down tube so maybe you're half right

  48. #348
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,874
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Correct, but people using them on 26" had no illusions about when and why they were being used for - XC racing on mostly smooth tracks.

    I have a problem when people start claiming a XC 29er with semislicks is a reasonable all around trail bike - because their LBS told them so, they spent a pile of money, and now its the BEST EVAR!!!1!!1

    Yup.....because 26" bikes are so great.

    To the untrained eye, these look the same:



    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,287
    i have a problem when i don't have a problem when grown ass people who can afford to buy a bicycle w/piles of money can't think for themselves and so i have to create a problem which i don't have a problem doing with my lbs who has no problem removing me as their problem cuz i hate problems to begin with...because saving people who have a pile of money is a serious problem

    p.s. i effin fred the gnar

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post

    p.s. i effin fred the gnar
    without a pic it didn't happen

    BTW I'm camped out by the phone waiting to hear back about a job I'd really like to land...I mostly don't hang onto these boards so closely. As soon as I get the call we're off to Kingdom Trails....I may not be smart or good but I sure am lucky!

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,287
    [QUOTE=MOJO K;11361305]without a pic it didn't happen

    you know what it looks like. if you've seen one wadded up 40yr old on a failed gap jump or cased double crying like a little girl with a skinned knee you've seen 'em all.

    hope you get the gig and the ride, mojo! ...buy a respectable wheel size with that new job, ok?!!!!! haha

  52. #352
    Attack Position
    Reputation: waffleBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    151
    Just to be clear, when they said "pick a wheel size and be a dick about it" in the how to be a mountain biker video, they were joking.
    Lone biker of the apocalypse.

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by waffleBeast View Post
    Just to be clear, when they said "pick a wheel size and be a dick about it" in the how to be a mountain biker video, they were joking.
    bet you're gunna' say it wasn't a real tranny on that tranny...threads like these are the beginning of the end of ...you're not helping.

  54. #354
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Correct, but people using them on 26" had no illusions about when and why they were being used for - XC racing on mostly smooth tracks.
    That is wrong.
    People buy cheap 26" hardtails being told they are capable mountain bikes, and the bikes have worse tyres than those "Semislicks" as you term them.

  55. #355
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,590
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    ...
    p.s. i effin fred the gnar
    May I intentionally mis-quote that as "...phred the gnar"?

    Hilarious to me.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    That is wrong.
    People buy cheap 26" hardtails being told they are capable mountain bikes, and the bikes have worse tyres than those "Semislicks" as you term them.
    CF9, in an odd twist, I'm with Dog here... 'round about "97 or'98 the NORBA race scene was the marketing tool of the industry. "NORBA proven geometry" was the catch phrase of the day ( right before the MBA issue featuring Brett and Richie and the whole "Fro riders" anti Cannondale ad campaign ). A lot of the best value out there was light weight race oriented bikes. Semi-slicks, or tires with almost smooth centers and minimal side knobs. Adding more agro tires and longer travel forks, after market made them trail worthy. Kona might have been the best at bringing real, beefy, hard tails to market to answer the needs of real "all mountain" riders ( what most of us were doing with these dedicated race machines anyway ). Suspension technology caught up soon after while the race scene was drying up anyway.

    Go look it up.... thinking about it now makes me all the more thankful for all the options we have now.

  57. #357
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by wafflebeast View Post
    just to be clear, when they said "pick a wheel size and be a dick about it" in the how to be a mountain biker video, they were joking.
    n i c e !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  58. #358
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    That is wrong.
    People buy cheap 26" hardtails being told they are capable mountain bikes, and the bikes have worse tyres than those "Semislicks" as you term them.
    Re; Capable mtn bikes and tires....

    My kona 26" h/t does all I want or demand for my type of riding so I'm not sure anyone can identify what's capable and what isn't w/o knowing the expectations of the rider that is buying a bike. Seems like a capable sales person asks how or what are you using the bike for and type of trails etc....

    Tires can and should be changed or swapped out as needed or when finding a new preference. Tires won't define the bike I buy or the one I have.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  59. #359
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,986
    WTF, it's no longer 2003? We have 29ers now with chainstays shorter than 18.5" and manufacturers that have actually engineered them with the wheelsize in mind.

    The Good Ol' 26er?-gedc0155s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  60. #360
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    WTF, it's no longer 2003? We have 29ers now with chainstays shorter than 18.5" and manufacturers that have actually engineered them with the wheelsize in mind.

    The short c/s make the mountains look big in that picture.

    2003 was the last time I had money to spend on a bike but it worked out. Kona was stingy on supplies and shorted customers by going 16.5"
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    56
    Wow - a whole bunch of you should really get banned by the moderators - if for no other reasons than making moronic posts and harping at each other in multiple threads on multiple aspects of mtbr.com!

    I don't ride a 29er because at 5'6" they feel like oversized circus bikes to me.
    I'm not a good enough rider, nor do I ride enough to be able to significantly differentiate between a 26er and a 27.5er.
    My inability to clear various part of trails is most likely due to lack of technique or cardio versus wheel size.

    I am disappointed that the growth of the 27.5er seems to be marketing driven more than innovation driven.
    While making money is necessary to keep a business open, I'd rather see the companies put effort and R&D money into creating the "next best" improvement in mountain biking over simply changing the wheel size.
    09 Canfield Brothers - The One
    08 Cannondale Scalpel - SoBe Team Carbon frame

  62. #362
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by doctock993 View Post
    Wow - a whole bunch of you should really get banned by the moderators - if for no other reasons than making moronic posts and harping at each other in multiple threads on multiple aspects of mtbr.com!


    Your harping is easily the most digestible ... lol

    I may be biased though because it strikes me you are pointing out the bike that you ride best, fits you best and does what you need is the way to go (for you).

    No support mechanism for other's massaging your ego on "the right choice" needed.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  63. #363
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by doctock993 View Post

    I don't ride a 29er because at 5'6" they feel like oversized circus bikes to me.
    I'm not a good enough rider, nor do I ride enough to be able to significantly differentiate between a 26er and a 27.5er.
    My inability to clear various part of trails is most likely due to lack of technique or cardio versus wheel size.

    I am disappointed that the growth of the 27.5er seems to be marketing driven more than innovation driven.
    While making money is necessary to keep a business open, I'd rather see the companies put effort and R&D money into creating the "next best" improvement in mountain biking over simply changing the wheel size.
    It sucks being short doesn't it? I am 5'4" and LOVE my 29er but still have my 26".

    There is no "Technology" with 27.5 and I agree with you. Those who missed the 29" boat are pushing the hardest.

    Remember, 27.5" is just 3.7" bigger than 26" with the same size tire. How about that for technology!!!!

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    During the World Cup DH race Rob Warner pointed out that Mega Avalanche was won on a 27.5 bike that had been fitted with 26er wheels to get better mud clearance. He also stated that he felt safe saying that there wouldn't be another WC DH won on a 26er.

    Rob Warner said that.

  65. #365
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    During the World Cup DH race Rob Warner pointed out that Mega Avalanche was won on a 27.5 bike that had been fitted with 26er wheels to get better mud clearance.

    Rob Warner said that.
    26" ..... better mud clearance.
    Rob Warner said that.

    The hits just keep on coming !!
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  66. #366
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    He also stated that he felt safe saying that there wouldn't be another WC DH won on a 26er.
    Not exactly. Don't forget that Bryceland won the previous DH race on a 26" Santa Cruz V10.

  67. #367
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,406
    I run 650B wheels on my 29er
    No moss...

  68. #368
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Not exactly. Don't forget that Bryceland won the previous DH race on a 26" Santa Cruz V10.
    Yes, exactly...The Syndicate put the 26ers away.

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    The Good Ol' 26er?-jb4-780x585.jpg

    I guess there was some mud?

  70. #370
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jb4-780x585.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	912883

    I guess there was some mud?
    A good photo showing the benefit of disc brakes !
    (Not that the wheel will turn much - lol )
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaveRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    134
    I bought a 2012 26" fs trail bike last year for less than half of original msrp. After 9 months, the frame cracked. The only 26' frame the manufacturer had left was a carbon fs 26" version of the same frame, which they sent me for warranty. So, don't be afraid to buy 26'. I suspect that if this frame cracks, they will have to send me a 27.5 trail bike. You might get upgraded by default with warranty.

    Another subject- While I was waiting for my warranty frame, my friend lent me his fs 29" XC bike. Wow! Talk about fun! The speed, climb, & rollover is amazing, but it has it's place which is xc going super fast type stuff. It can do the slow, tight, rock gardeny stuff, but it takes a lot of "body fu" to make it obey.

    Also, some people are just too big to ride smaller wheels.

    I love riding 29", but personal preference is 26" when the going is slow & techy. 26" is still fast on smoother terrain, so I don't feel the need to switch.

    The whole 27.5 thing still blows my mind that it's becoming a "standard." But I haven't ridden one, so I can't whine too much.
    Last edited by DaveRider; 08-04-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: grammar

  72. #372
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    Remember, 27.5" is just 3.7" bigger than 26" with the same size tire. How about that for technology!!!!
    It's an inch bigger in diameter and 3.14" in circumference...........

  73. #373
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    It's an inch bigger in diameter and 3.14" in circumference...........
    Now you're bored again and you're trying to start an argument.....

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation: onlycrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    630

    The Good Ol' 26er?

    I normally ride an older stump jumper comp 29er and last week I pulled out the old schwinn homegrown for a ride. It ripped, it was so awesome and nimble. I think I just like having the diversity in my stable.

  75. #375
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Now you're bored again and you're trying to start an argument.....
    Those are the facts, nothing to argue about.

  76. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Now you're bored again and you're trying to start an argument.....
    Not for nuthin', but who is the wildy inexperienced kid constantly posting in threads about 26" bikes endlessly regurgitating stuff they find online about 29ers? Seriously, for somebody with extremely limited trail time on an even more limited selection of equipment, you have completely saturated yourself in second-hand hype and can't seem to control yourself from spewing it constantly. Dude, you just started riding. You've ridden once when it was over 90 out. You don't think BMX is even a valid riding style, even though most of the best MTBers in the world have come from it. You've got pretty much zero time on different equipment. Your riding style appears to be pretty strictly limited to XC racer wanna-be. If anybody is way too into arguing on the internet with nothing to base their opinions on, it's you. Step away from the keyboard for a few years and get some saddle time on a bunch of equipment in a bunch of situations and come back with your own opinions based on real experience, not just what you copy off the internet that blows smoke up your ass for buying exactly what the local shop had the most of in stock.

    Again, people will kick your ass on any wheel size, on any terrain, in a million different ways, over and over. Pure fact.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  77. #377
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,590
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    It's an inch bigger in diameter and 3.14" in circumference...........
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Now you're bored again and you're trying to start an argument.....
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Those are the facts, nothing to argue about.
    He was thinking of
    The Good Ol' 26er?-pi7.jpg.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  78. #378
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Not for nuthin', but who is the wildy inexperienced kid constantly posting in threads about 26" bikes endlessly regurgitating stuff they find online about 29ers? Seriously, for somebody with extremely limited trail time on an even more limited selection of equipment, you have completely saturated yourself in second-hand hype and can't seem to control yourself from spewing it constantly. Dude, you just started riding. You've ridden once when it was over 90 out. You don't think BMX is even a valid riding style, even though most of the best MTBers in the world have come from it. You've got pretty much zero time on different equipment. Your riding style appears to be pretty strictly limited to XC racer wanna-be. If anybody is way too into arguing on the internet with nothing to base their opinions on, it's you. Step away from the keyboard for a few years and get some saddle time on a bunch of equipment in a bunch of situations and come back with your own opinions based on real experience, not just what you copy off the internet that blows smoke up your ass for buying exactly what the local shop had the most of in stock.

    Again, people will kick your ass on any wheel size, on any terrain, in a million different ways, over and over. Pure fact.
    I am not an XC racer wannabe. You have no clue how I ride, and just because I started mountain biking three years ago doesn't mean I am terrible. The first year I was slow, but now that it is the third year I have become a lot faster. I am a very good climber, and a quick descender.
    Remember, don't judge me because I'm younger than you.

  79. #379
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    He was thinking of
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pi7.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	913172.

    -F
    Oh that makes more sense.
    27" is still only an inch bigger in diameter than 26" and is two inches smaller in diameter than 29", it has the same circumference as every other wheel size. Case closed.

  80. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    I like bikes.

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by onlycrimson View Post
    I normally ride an older stump jumper comp 29er and last week I pulled out the old schwinn homegrown for a ride. It ripped, it was so awesome and nimble. I think I just like having the diversity in my stable.
    MMMM Homegrown. I saw Jeff Lenosky at a demo and remarked that his bassboat black Homegrown might have been the prettiest bike I'd ever seen. Might have been sweat in his eyes...might have been a tear.

  82. #382
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Remember, don't judge me because I'm younger than you.
    Age has nothing to do with it, nor does how good you believe you are on a bike. It has to do with having very little experience but trying to come across as an expert of some kind, based mainly on spending too much time on the internet as far as I can tell.

    Step away from the screen and go wear out some different bikes instead. Then you'll have an opinion worth sharing.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  83. #383
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,801
    Many frames on sale on www.steepandcheap.com. Ends in 11hours.

  84. #384
    Hermit
    Reputation: swampboy62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    the wheel size debacle is 100% BS.
    This.

    Reminds me of my paddling friends, always arguing about whether canoes or kayaks are better. It's an artificial argument.

    Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

    My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    172
    I'd say it has a lot to do with age. I've ridden 21 years and I don't know every single piece of equipment. Therefore I'm not going argue which is better because I don't know. I'll research and read. Where as someone this guys age is in the same boat but he'll argue about it until his last breath. Most everything is opinion. To keep trying to validate one's point is futile. Nobody is going to win. So drop it. It's just annoying to see turbo dog and cannondale9 argue over and over and over. At least turbodog has been riding long enough to see trends in real life. It's like gnats flying around one's face.

  86. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,376
    CF9 - I'm not intending to curb your stoke for riding in any way - it's great to see anybody getting into it. Instead of wasting your time and energy arguing with crusty old men about stupid geeky **** like this, you should be out there crushing miles until you and your bike are shattered, daily, before responsibility sets in. It's a way better payoff.

    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  87. #387
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I am not an XC racer wannabe. You have no clue how I ride, and just because I started mountain biking three years ago doesn't mean I am terrible. The first year I was slow, but now that it is the third year I have become a lot faster. I am a very good climber, and a quick descender.
    Remember, don't judge me because I'm younger than you.
    Many times on forums, you have to earn respect by either being/becoming a knowledgeable authority and truly helping others with spot-on advice, or a mix of sharing some of your experiences and what you've learned and being humble enough to ask some questions of others who can offer some feedback and perspective.

    I've been riding motorcycles for 40 years and mini-bikes before that yet when I got a streetbike 10 years ago, I happened upon some m/c sites and forums, and landed on one focused more on safety.

    I quickly realized everything I thought I knew about cycles, safety and riding dynamics etc... was nowhere close to my 40 year resume of riding. I figured a humble approach to posting comments and questions was the best way to respect others and gain some insights on valuable information where I had little street experience.
    I see other's that find forums like that and get chewed up a spit out simply because they belittle their own stake and value by the online persona they exhibit.

    Just a few thoughts from a longtime bicyclist, motorcyclist and skier who is no more than intermediate in any of these endeavors even though some can become experts in a short few years.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  88. #388
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,313
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    CF9 - I'm not intending to curb your stoke for riding in any way - it's great to see anybody getting into it. Instead of wasting your time and energy arguing with crusty old men about stupid geeky **** like this, you should be out there crushing miles until you and your bike are shattered, daily, before responsibility sets in. It's a way better payoff.

    I try to go riding as much as I can. If I could ride more, it would be on dirt roads, not singletrack.
    I want to ride every day, but it just doesn't work out that way.

  89. #389
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dopamine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    66
    Cheesecake is the best dessert. It is far superior to both ice cream AND brownies.

  90. #390
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    I love lamp.

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
    Cheesecake is the best dessert. It is far superior to both ice cream AND brownies.
    Yes, I agree. But if a cheesecake diameter is 26 cm does that make it any easier to eat vs 29 cm? Or just more fun? Or woudl you eat the 29 cm'er faster?

  92. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dopamine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Yes, I agree. But if a cheesecake diameter is 26 cm does that make it any easier to eat vs 29 cm? Or just more fun? Or woudl you eat the 29 cm'er faster?
    I think conventional wisdom says that with the 26 cheesecake you start devouring it quickly but it's easier to stop too, however with the 29 cheesecake once you get rolling on noshing it down that momentum is tough to stop.

  93. #393
    mtbr member
    Reputation: alphajaguars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
    Cheesecake is the best dessert. It is far superior to both ice cream AND brownies.
    Horse apples.

    Brownies WITH ice cream rules all!!!!!

  94. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
    cheesecake is the best dessert. It is far superior to both ice cream and brownies.
    you take that back, dopamine! You take that back right now!

  95. #395
    Feeling retro..but Jung
    Reputation: Germany_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Do you ride rigid singlespeed? Because gears and suspension can also be considered cheating depending on who you ask...
    I do rigid single speed and 29 I'm also old enough to have ridden rigid 26 and I do feel like suspension and gears is cheating to a certain extent. My riding style was formed many years ago on rigid bikes and there is an art to it that is long gone. I had a 650B Lynskey more than a couple years ago when the only one pushing 650B was Kirk Pacenti it was fun but not more fun than my Blur or Univega but it was different. When it's time to replace the Univega which will be soon being that it spends more time in monstercross guise than mountain bike guise it'll be with a rigid 26 because in the end it's comfortable and right for my current european trails as well as my "home" east coast trails.
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    My husband is making me sell my 26" to get a 29er. May cause us a divorce when I say no.

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,609
    Quote Originally Posted by lofgrenb View Post
    My husband is making me sell my 26" to get a 29er. May cause us a divorce when I say no.
    You're too good for him....it was doomed from the start. You like brownies and ice cream?

  98. #398
    Co Springs
    Reputation: bachman1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by lofgrenb View Post
    My husband is making me sell my 26" to get a 29er. May cause us a divorce when I say no.
    I forgot who posted it but they referenced a How to be a Mountain biker video and stated it was only a joke when the video instructs shoppers to pick a wheel size and be a dik about it.

    Unless they are just having spirited fun in a friendly debate, that's my new fallback answer to the persnickety wheel snobs. Pick a wheel size and don't be a Dik about it
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

  99. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,376
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If I could ride more, it would be on dirt roads, not singletrack.
    Blasphemy.

    I guess it explains a lot about your equipment preference though.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  100. #400
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    You're too good for him....it was doomed from the start. You like brownies and ice cream?
    Yep. I bike to eat more.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Good deals on 26er 1-1/8 air fork?
    By TeeKay in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 12:51 PM
  2. 201 2 stumpjumper evo 26er or a giant reign 1 26er
    By loaderdavid in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 09:14 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
  4. Has anyone gone from 26er to 29er and back to 26er?
    By grendelos in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 08:21 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •