Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Great post:

Bike industry can get away with that because mountain bikers are SHEEP!

SHEEP!
    So I'm sensing you don't hold mountain bikers in such high regard then?

Okay, I'm with ya. Shut up and ride!

I like this place

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    I agree 650b is a scam. Most people buy them because they believe the marketing lies, but 29ers will not die, unless you are listening to Giant, the absolute worst bike brand ever.
    26" is dieing, how many times do we have to tell you this? And 650b will not take over 29". Too many people ride 29ers for that to happen. 29ers are best and I have bikes with both wheel sizes. I can't imagine riding 27" wheeled bikes. They're too close to 26" to be a replacement for 29" and that would be a stupid thing for bike companies to do.
    Actually, market percentage of 26" sales is curently growing.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member
    "Actually, market percentage of 26" sales is currently growing."

You got that information where? Does that figure include big box and related low end bikes? When I go into a bike shop, I hardly see any 26" bikes for sale so, except for leftovers being blown out, where are people getting them. DH is not that significant a segment of the mountain bike market.

I'm not interested what is better, latest, greatest or anything like that. I just don't understand where you got your information? Was it from a retailer service that reports on what was sold last year?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    "Actually, market percentage of 26" sales is currently growing."

You got that information where? Does that figure include big box and related low end bikes? When I go into a bike shop, I hardly see any 26" bikes for sale so, except for leftovers being blown out, where are people getting them. DH is not that significant a segment of the mountain bike market.

I'm not interested what is better, latest, greatest or anything like that. I just don't understand where you got your information? Was it from a retailer service that reports on what was sold last year?
    **In APRIL 2014, 26" MTB GAINED 5% MARKET SHARE VS. THE MONTH PRIOR, WHILE 650b MTB LOST 3% MARKET SHARE.**

No Love for the 26" ?
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    **In APRIL 2014, 26" MTB GAINED 5% MARKET SHARE VS. THE MONTH PRIOR, WHILE 650b MTB LOST 3% MARKET SHARE.**

No Love for the 26" ?
    Where are people buying the 26" bikes? Nobody is selling them unless you go to Walmart I guess.

mtbr member
    Once the fanboys and trendy people with deep pockets are done, there will be nobody else left to buy 650b, and sales will fall off a cliff. I mean seriously, who is stupid and gullible enough to buy into this fabricated push into a completely new and only slightly different wheel size?
    I think you're assuming the majority of people buying new 650b-wheeled bikes are doing so solely because of the wheel size. I ride a 26" wheeled bike (5spot) and will probably do so for a while yet, simply because I don't feel the need (or have the cash) to upgrade a relatively new bike that still suits my needs. When I do replace it, it will most likely be with a 650b simply because there is more of them in the kind of bike I want (Burner, Bronson, Mach6, Warden, etc vs SB66 and?). I think most people are realising that there is such a marginal difference between the 26" and 650b that they're dropping the wheel-size-fanaticism and buying bikes based on what feels best.

Banshee offer the Rune and Spitfire with replaceable drop-outs that can take both 26" and 650b. Have a read on the build threads for both bikes and see how many people (experienced riders who value quality hand-made bikes over mass-produced market-hyped Taiwan stuff) are running 27.5" instead of 26", with comments like "it is simply a better bike with the larger wheels".

You've obviously got a grudge, but I doubt the industry would ever let something like this die after investing so much time/money/R&D into it. I knew a guy who had a similar attitude to yours about trigger shifters when they first came out, he bought ever last pair of XT thumb shifters he could find and was using them for years after they stopped making them....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie88 View Post
    Where are people buying the 26" bikes? Nobody is selling them unless you go to Walmart I guess.
    I'm quoting figures that come from bike dealers, not chain stores.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

I need therapy....

I'm 55, came to mt. biking late and love it. I have a Giant Warp that I have upgraded top to bottom with 2nd hand parts: a Sherman fork, XT wheels, tubeless tires, dropper post, etc. Its kind of a tank and bobs like you know what out of the saddle.

I want to take my riding to the next level.

My question is do I buy a secondhand top of the line 26" wheel bike for cheap ($1500+/-) and get a lot of design and component value (for example a Heckler or Pivot Mach 5) or hold out for a new entry level 27.5 or 29er at $3,000+/-?

I don't think we are going to stop seeing 26" stock in my riding lifetime....

mtbr member

Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

I'm quoting figures that come from bike dealers, not chain stores.
    Is this what you do all day turbodog? Troll every thread that has "26er" in the title?

Diggity Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Is this what you do all day turbodog? Troll every thread that has "26er" in the title?
    Yep, my guess would be when turbodog should be working.

Over on the General forum they bumped another 26" thread after 6 days of inactivity just to blather on about their agenda. No proof of their "facts". No way to prove what's going to happen in 2 years even though it's never going to happen the way they hope and pray. Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe their actions.

I'm thinking turdodog can't ride a bike with bigger than 26" wheels because they are so diminutive. A Napoleon complex perhaps? Whatever the problem is I'm sure the clinical term is hard to spell.

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    i switch off different bikes from time to time and use all 3 in different applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    ...but with an unlimited budget for a stable of bikes, I bet you all would have a little bit of everything floating around.
    Of all the noise that tends to stir up whenever the 26er debate comes up, the above quoted items are the 2 thoughts that resonate with me. I'd love to have a rack full of bikes and just pick whichever one seemed to fit the venue I was going to be riding today. I have both 26" and 29" bikes. There are a lot of other differences besides the size of the wheels and I do select which bike to ride based on the venue. But, my quiver is not as full as that "unlimited budget" would permit.

mtbr member
    Some of the stuff in this thread is downright comical.

Diggity Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Some of the stuff in this thread is downright comical.
    Pretty much every thread turdodog participates in becomes a comedy.

mtbr member
    People are apparently buying 26" bikes being blown out at low prices to make room for 27.5" in the shops I deal with. I still ride two 26" but I'm not so blind as to believe that 27.5" won't replace 26".

You don't have to like it but that is the trend. Like others have already said, wait until 2014 is over to determine if 27.5" will replace 26" and wait until 2015 to see how many 26" are still produced outside of DH and big box bikes.

Also, look at current offerings from big companies like Giant, Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, etc. etc. etc. The number of 26" bikes with high end builds are all but dead. That is a fact. Anyone can make number say anything they like. What was sold in April vs. March is a blip and nothing more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post

Over on the General forum they bumped another 26" thread after 6 days of inactivity just to blather on about their agenda. No proof of their "facts". No way to prove what's going to happen in 2 years even though it's never going to happen the way they hope and pray. Pathetic doesn't even begin to describe their actions.

I'm thinking turdodog can't ride a bike with bigger than 26" wheels because they are so diminutive. A Napoleon complex perhaps? Whatever the problem is I'm sure the clinical term is hard to spell.
    Reported for personal attacks.

You bring nothing to the table here, just a steady stream of baiting personal attacks. Here are your last six posts, all of which are stalking and abusing me:

Ever try a 29er? Nope? End of story. You have no credibility.

Now go get a life.
    Pretty much every thread turdodog participates in becomes a comedy.

Yes so everyone knows who is stirring the pot on this thread and how credible they are.

Here is turdodog's direct quote from a previous sh!t stirring thread that turdodog started. Didn't have the balls to continue that thread so has hijacked this one.
    Getting lonely under the bridge where you live turdodog? Just had to stir that pot for attention didn't ya? What a sad existence.
    I think it's pretty clear who has a problem here.

Name:  9ab822c2a86bf128b45d52720746a9fc.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  74.0 KB
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Diggity Dog
    Reported for personal attacks. Try to behave like a civilized person.

But clearly, you are an industry shill.
    Must have been right on the money to elicit such a response.

Looks like 26" wheels to me.

Name:  Napoleon.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  11.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    People are apparently buying 26" bikes being blown out at low prices to make room for 27.5" in the shops I deal with. I still ride two 26" but I'm not so blind as to believe that 27.5" won't replace 26".

You don't have to like it but that is the trend. Like others have already said, wait until 2014 is over to determine if 27.5" will replace 26" and wait until 2015 to see how many 26" are still produced outside of DH and big box bikes.

Also, look at current offerings from big companies like Giant, Trek, Specialized, Santa Cruz, etc. etc. etc. The number of 26" bikes with high end builds are all but dead. That is a fact. Anyone can make number say anything they like. What was sold in April vs. March is a blip and nothing more.
    Still high end 26" out there:

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Mojo HDR | Bikes
    Mojo SL-R | Bikes
    Yeti Cycles / Home

...and more, last time I looked.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Yawn................

29ers Forever
    Must have been right on the money to elicit such a response.

Looks like 26" wheels to me.

Name:  Napoleon.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  11.8 KB
    And look! Turbodog's 26er is a beach cruiser.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Great post:

Bike industry can get away with that because mountain bikers are SHEEP!

Riders will agonize and debate with one another every little detail on their bike. This is after all the internet, where everyone is an EXPERT.

Then they get on the trail where they are just another mediocre rider who cannot actually tell the difference in ride between 26er and 27.5, between 32mm stanctions vs 35mm, or any number of other choices they wasted so much time and effort on.

But no doubt they they get right back on the internet after the ride to tell everyone how much difference that upgrade made and give themselves a big pat on the back for making such an awesome choice.

SHEEP!
    You're missing the point of mountain biking. For most of us it's an enjoyable hobby that combines the outdoors, good exercise, and aesthetically pleasing bicycles. It is not life or death, buying new bikes and components doesn't make us angry or bitter, and we don't necessarily find fulfillment in grimly pedaling the cheapest bike we could find down the trail.

In fact (as I've said), I like spending money on bikes and components. I certainly have to pay a lot of money for things that I don't want to spend money on.

The debate over the details is part of the fun. And I can tell the difference between parts.

Mediocre is also the wrong word to use. It implies that there is some purpose to the whole thing when in fact it's just a very interesting recreational activity.

mtbr member
    Has "Pete" come back as "Turbodog?" If you remember "Pete" you will understand the question.

Hell Track
    Alright, Enough with the Willy Wonka. it's just creepy

Diggity Dog
    I think it's pretty clear who has a problem here.

Name:  9ab822c2a86bf128b45d52720746a9fc.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  74.0 KB
    Yep it is clear. You have a tremendous problem there.

Hey wait a second ... I finally figured it out. You're not Napoleon .... you're .... turbodog the Oompa Loompa. Explains the Willy Wonka fixation as well as the inability to ride a big wheeled bike. So obvious now.

Name:  oompa_loompa_dog.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  31.5 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Benefits of wheel size can, and will likely always be debatable. What we are witnessing, is a huge marketing push towards 27.5 right now as manufacturers see a new market segment to exploit. There's a LOT of hype.

After this dust settles I do believe, that in time, a resurgence of the "benefits of the 26 wheel" will come full circle - giving yet again another opportunity for marketing exploitation.

The point is.... I don't have a point.

Buy what you like. Ride what you like.

by the way, that oompah dog pic above is awesomely creepy.

29ers Forever
    Yep it is clear. You have a tremendous problem there.

Hey wait a second ... I finally figured it out. You're not Napoleon .... you're .... turbodog the Oompa Loompa. Explains the Willy Wonka fixation as well as the inability to ride a big wheeled bike. So obvious now.

Name:  oompa_loompa_dog.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  31.5 KB
    He is an Oompa-Loompa. He never leaves the factory so he doesn't see or understand new trends, but even if he did leave he wouldn't fit on a larger wheel size anyway, and I agree with the Willy Wonka addiction. Either that or he's a short little kid lying about his age and experience and is jealous of our new fancy bikes.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast