Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm going to wait until the dust clears and than re-evaluate. In the mean time I have no intention of buying another mountain bike for at least another 2 years, and love the way my 26 looks and rides. I don't race and I don't care what others ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Here's my 26er.

The Good Ol' 26er?-photo-3-3-.jpg

And here it is with 29" wheels.

The Good Ol' 26er?-img_0825.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Here's my 26er.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (3).jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	906416

And here it is with 29" wheels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	906417
    Nice. Didn't know you can put 29er wheels on a 26 frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Don't let the bike industry tell you what wheel size to ride. If you like 26 inch wheels, then ride them.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    Don't let the bike industry tell you what wheel size to ride. If you like 26 inch wheels, then ride them.
    back to say very true

Bike shops and bike makers will always change direction, just go to Interbike every year and talk to everyone driving these changes.

But... chasing these changes is entirely 100% optional. It is fun if you can afford it...but be sure to always watch out for the dude wearing cut-off jeans and a concrete 1950's Schwinn with coaster brake on the trail who is about to drop you, and your 'high-zoot' new fangled wheel bike, stone cold in the dust...

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    But this is exactly what you are doing! You are a SHEEP TOO! You ride the latest and greatest (Ibis Mojo and Knolly). Put 5 different kinds of Gravity seatpost on your bike and tell everyone one on the internet how awesome each one was. But meanwhile, you bought these parts you put on your bike based on the research that you did on the internet who you are accusing/name calling SHEEPS! Then you get on the internet and you call everyone sheeps that doesn't buy or ride the same wheel size/parts that you do? Didn't you tell me once you wish you had a 29er for bikepacking? SHEEP.

Don't pat yourself on the back just yet Vern Troyer because, you focus and spend way too much time worrying and thinking about other mediocre riders out there. Meanwhile, you are just a mediocre rider yourself claiming to be an expert. So before you call other people sheeps, i suggest looking in front of the mirror. Dont be so JADED

I've ridden all 3 different size bikes and my wife only rides a 29er (since we started riding in 2009) We are both having and loads of fun. i switch off different bikes from time to time and use all 3 in different applications.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Great post:

Bike industry can get away with that because mountain bikers are SHEEP!

Riders will agonize and debate with one another every little detail on their bike. This is after all the internet, where everyone is an EXPERT.

Then they get on the trail where they are just another mediocre rider who cannot actually tell the difference in ride between 26er and 27.5, between 32mm stanctions vs 35mm, or any number of other choices they wasted so much time and effort on.

But no doubt they they get right back on the internet after the ride to tell everyone how much difference that upgrade made and give themselves a big pat on the back for making such an awesome choice.

SHEEP!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just don't understand why everyone feels the need to pick a side...they are all good for different things. 29" rigid single speed on a modern frame geo is pretty nifty. 27.5" 160mm full suspension bikes are fairly rad for shredding all mountain terrain. And for the smooth and twisty stuff you can't really beat a 26" bike. There's a lot of things that factor into what wheelsize is best for a given application but with an unlimited budget for a stable of bikes, I bet you all would have a little bit of everything floating around.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use my one and only bike, a 26 hard tail, for everything. I don't do technical, but I'm finally dialed in with my bike after making several small adjustments. I can't wait to get out and ride when I wake up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott forty G. View Post
    But this is exactly what you are doing! You are a SHEEP TOO! You ride the latest and greatest (Ibis Mojo and Knolly). Put 5 different kinds of Gravity seatpost on your bike and tell everyone one on the internet how awesome each one was. But meanwhile, you bought these parts you put on your bike based on the research that you did on the internet who you are accusing/name calling SHEEPS! Then you get on the internet and you call everyone sheeps that doesn't buy or ride the same wheel size/parts that you do? Didn't you tell me once you wish you had a 29er for bikepacking? SHEEP.

Don't pat yourself on the back just yet Vern Troyer because, you focus and spend way too much time worrying and thinking about other mediocre riders out there. Meanwhile, you are just a mediocre rider yourself claiming to be an expert. So before you call other people sheeps, i suggest looking in front of the mirror. Dont be so JADED

I've ridden all 3 different size bikes and my wife only rides a 29er (since we started riding in 2009) We are both having and loads of fun. i switch off different bikes from time to time and use all 3 in different applications.
    I've been riding since 1992 and don't own a dropper seatpost. Am I cool yet?
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Only if you never had bar ends.

ENDO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    Damn, I was close to being cool! Mine were purple anodized, does that make up for it?
    Just circles turning circles....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    You can on this one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    First paragraph = yes. Second = wrong.

As was noted above, the major players have already shifted production away from 26 and tooling is in the process of being changed across the board. 27.5 and 29 will dominate, for better or worse. What will get difficult to find soon is straight steerer tube forks that are actually worth purchasing. If you think you'll need a new fork in the next two years buy it now.
    I'm having that problem now.

Well, it could be because I am broke and trying to find a deal on a high end fork for about $200, but it is getting harder to find new production with a straight tube.

29ers Forever

Sales of 26" wheel mountain bikes will recover strongly in the next year or so, and they will once again become the top seller by 2016.
    You're just telling yourself this over and over again to make yourself believe it. 650B is the new 26, 29" is in a class of its own. I bet in 2016 there will be no 26" wheeled bike left (except for in Walmart and Kmart). 650B is only 1" bigger in diameter, it isn't that much bigger than a 26" and if you rode on you couldn't tell the difference.

EDIT: Fat Bikes are still 26", so theoretically 26" will live on.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I enjoy riding my 29er enduro. At 6'4" I finally have a bike that fits me. At our group rides, I see all make and models and sizes. 3 wheel sizes, SS, 1x10 old school hardtails too. Ride what you got. I do like the fact that for me, my 29er climbs better and goes over the rocks roots and logs easier.

beater

The Good Ol' 26er?

Nobody is going to make a 650b DJ or slopestyle bike.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The 29er is too big a ride. If I'm going 29er I might as well go cyclocross. 28 would be perfect if they ever decided to make one, but I'm happy with my 26 which I won't be giving up anytime soon. If I'm going to go bigger, I want a 28.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sales of 26" wheel mountain bikes will recover strongly in the next year or so, and they will once again become the top seller by 2016.[/QUOTE]

I'd wager $5000 that you are wrong. Winner can afford a new bicycle! I'd buy a 29er. You have 3 years if you accept the bet.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's gonna take more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    I still have them on my fatbike. I actually have bar ends on a few bikes but I only ride the fatbike anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You're just telling yourself this over and over again to make yourself believe it. 650B is the new 26, 29" is in a class of its own. I bet in 2016 there will be no 26" wheeled bike left (except for in Walmart and Kmart). 650B is only 1" bigger in diameter, it isn't that much bigger than a 26" and if you rode on you couldn't tell the difference.

EDIT: Fat Bikes are still 26", so theoretically 26" will live on.
    LOL, keep dreaming kiddo. 650b is going to steal sales from the 29er market.

People who know what's up will continue buying 26" just like they always have, and a good number of 29er's are already coming back to 26".

Most serious riders see 650b for the marketing scam that it is.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have not measured, but what's the difference on my 26er with big rims and 2.5 tires to 27.5's?

mtbr member
    I predict that in five years time 650b will be the "default" size, but many companies will still be making 26" wheeled bikes mostly for the AM/FR/DH/slopestyle market, and we will still be having vigorous debates about which is best and when the 26" wheel is finally going to die out or make a comeback against 650b.

29ers Forever
    LOL, keep dreaming kiddo. 650b is going to steal sales from the 29er market.

People who know what's up will continue buying 26" just like they always have, and a good number of 29er's are already coming back to 26".

Most serious riders see 650b for the marketing scam that it is.
    I agree 650b is a scam. Most people buy them because they believe the marketing lies, but 29ers will not die, unless you are listening to Giant, the absolute worst bike brand ever.
    26" is dieing, how many times do we have to tell you this? And 650b will not take over 29". Too many people ride 29ers for that to happen. 29ers are best and I have bikes with both wheel sizes. I can't imagine riding 27" wheeled bikes. They're too close to 26" to be a replacement for 29" and that would be a stupid thing for bike companies to do.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865 View Post
    A buddy of mine got a set of 29er hoops with his Framed Minnesota. He uses the 29s when roaming in the summer and 26 fats when rolling in the winter. It's a lil weird seeing the width clearance he has with 29s.

To the point, ride what you got. I got a couple 26ers and they're just fine.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I predict that in five years time 650b will be the "default" size, but many companies will still be making 26" wheeled bikes mostly for the AM/FR/DH/slopestyle market, and we will still be having vigorous debates about which is best and when the 26" wheel is finally going to die out or make a comeback against 650b.
    Nah, 650b is going to die off pretty quickly when mountain bike sales tank this spring and summer because of it.

650b is being pushed by Taiwan bike makers, Giant's parent company and whomever makes Trek (partly Giant). They are pretty annoyed about having to supply both 29er's and 26". They'd like to kill off both and just have 650b. Fact is though, that's a fools errand. The people who like 29er's (XC racers and dirt roadies) are pretty much rabid about them and won't step down to 650b. Real trail riders are still riding 26", or will come back to 26" after being sold a 29er that didn't work for them.

Once the fanboys and trendy people with deep pockets are done, there will be nobody else left to buy 650b, and sales will fall off a cliff. I mean seriously, who is stupid and gullible enough to buy into this fabricated push into a completely new and only slightly different wheel size?
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast