Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    ^^^ Yep

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Yeah I don't want to wear down my Hans Dampfs. I could put the 2.2 Bontragers back on but what's the point for that? I just ordered a new "training" bike for the back roads. It still won't be a do all bike, however.
    Every bike is a 'do it all' bike; the rider is the limiting factor.
    Tires (and every other component) aren't meant to be collected and preserved and fawned over, they're meant to be worn the hell out.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Every bike is a 'do it all' bike; the rider is the limiting factor.
    Tires (and every other component) aren't meant to be collected and preserved and fawned over, they're meant to be worn the hell out.

Tell that to the guys who wax their bikes over at the "how do you wash your bike" thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackitout View Post
    Tell that to the guys who wax their bikes over at the "how do you wash your bike" thread.
    Nothing wrong with riding a bike a lot AND maintaining it (zipwax is a detergent, fyi). Wearing parts out to the point of potential failure on the trail is caused by sheer laziness, poverty, or lack of mechanical aptitude IMO. I like to take good care of my stuff; bike, truck, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, guns, skis, whatever. It all gets used a lot and I don't like surprises.

Back on topic: CannondaleF9, just ride what you have close. Pavement, gravel, dirt, singletrack, 29, 26, whatever. It's better to ride what is out your door a lot, than long for places you would rather ride and don't. When I was your age I was riding the crap out of a Western Flyer 10 speed and having a ball. Also, learn how to work on your bike yourself and carry tools. That way you can at least spend 30 minutes of your Saturday replacing a pulley if need be.

mtbr member
    Okay, one other point in support of what slapheadmofo is getting at.

CannondaleF9: just stop with all the incessant bickering and ride your damn bike instead of spending all day debating nuances of the sport on the internet! You will be a better rider because of it and someday you can move to where you have singletrack riding to your heart's content. You are young, plan wisely.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    Nothing wrong with riding a bike a lot AND maintaining it (zipwax is a detergent, fyi). Wearing parts out to the point of potential failure on the trail is caused by sheer laziness, poverty, or lack of mechanical aptitude IMO. I like to take good care of my stuff; bike, truck, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, guns, skis, whatever. It all gets used a lot and I don't like surprises.
    C'mon, that thing had plenty of miles left in it. It was seriously the Derailleur That Would Not Die - I had a bit of an grudge match going with it for awhile. Finally my heel ended up rubbing clean through the upper body near where the barrel adjuster screws in and that was the end of it. Those old XTRs were tough as hell.

When it comes down to it, the only really important part of a bike is the rider. I know this for a fact, cuz no matter what bike I get on now, 26, 27.5, 29, FS, HT, DH, whatever, I'll never ride as fast or well or far as I did on long 'outdated' technology, the deciding factor being that I don't ride almost daily anymore, and I don't do enough solid rides on a regular basis. The main thing that limits my riding level is lack of saddle time. Same goes for most I bet. So far they haven't figured out a way to bolt that **** on though.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    When it comes down to it, the only really important part of a bike is the rider. I know this for a fact, cuz no matter what bike I get on now, 26, 27.5, 29, FS, HT, DH, whatever, I'll never ride as fast or well or far as I did on long 'outdated' technology, the deciding factor being that I don't ride almost daily anymore, and I don't do enough solid rides on a regular basis. The main thing that limits my riding level is lack of saddle time. Same goes for most I bet. So far they haven't figured out a way to bolt that **** on though.
    I don't disagree. I remember biking in Moab years ago and coming up on three guys off their bikes beside the trail. Two had newer modern FS bikes (don't remember what they were) and were messing with their bikes. The other guy was on an old beater rigid (Stumpjumper I think) and just looked anxious to ride.

As we passed them the two FS guys hollered "aren't you going to adjust your suspension before climbing?" I'm thinking what??? The other guy finally got frustrated I guess because we passed him coming back on a loop later and he was far ahead of the other two having a blast. When we came upon the other two they were totally out of breath and looking like they were having a rough time.

I think part of the story is that the first guy was passionate about riding and enjoying the surroundings, while the other two were too busy fiddling with their bikes trying to get them perfect and never really enjoyed the day.

mtbr member
    Nothing wrong with riding a bike a lot AND maintaining it (zipwax is a detergent, fyi). Wearing parts out to the point of potential failure on the trail is caused by sheer laziness, poverty, or lack of mechanical aptitude IMO. I like to take good care of my stuff; bike, truck, car, motorcycle, chainsaw, guns, skis, whatever. It all gets used a lot and I don't like surprises

Except we're not talking about a car, truck, motorcycle or chainsaw. It has nothing to do with laziness or lack of mechanical aptitude. It has to do with keeping it maintained to a certain point. I've oiled chains and cleaned derailleurs once in a couple years and that derailleur still works. It's been over 20 years of aggressive riding. There's maintaining and then there's obsessive maintaining thinking it's going to somehow keep something that is going to break last longer. Whether it be from a rock, tree branch or sand. It's excessive and if it breaks you get another one. If you can't do that then iit's about poverty. Ask how many guys who off road break things even though they maintain it. It happens because it gets beat on.

mtbr member
    Except we're not talking about a car, truck, motorcycle or chainsaw. It has nothing to do with laziness or lack of mechanical aptitude. It has to do with keeping it maintained to a certain point. I've oiled chains and cleaned derailleurs once in a couple years and that derailleur still works. It's been over 20 years of aggressive riding. There's maintaining and then there's obsessive maintaining thinking it's going to somehow keep something that is going to break last longer. Whether it be from a rock, tree branch or sand. It's excessive and if it breaks you get another one. If you can't do that then iit's about poverty. Ask how many guys who off road break things even though they maintain it. It happens because it gets beat on.
    Oiled a chain once every 2 years? You must not ride much, the squeaking alone would drive me bonkers. That right there puts you in the lazy category in my mind. Might even put you in the running for 2nd or 3rd to the Dude.

I've broken plenty of stuff over the years, but you can also mitigate time spent on the trail dinking with components by keeping things in good working order. It's a no brainer really.

What one person calls obsessive, another calls regular maintenance. To judge others because they like to keep their bikes in a clean, lubed, maintained, condition is a myopic view. Feel free to carry on about it though.

mtbr member

Re: The Good Ol' 26er?

I agree. I love when my bike performs at its best. No funny noises, suspension set up just right, properly lubed chain, everything in the cockpit at the right place, tires and air right for the certain ride.
    I clean and oil the chain at least every 3rd ride. It takes only 10minutes and significantly improves the shifting. My rides are mostly between 1 - 5 hours long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    To judge others because they like to keep their bikes in a clean, lubed, maintained, condition is a myopic view.
    But on the flipside, the fact that I don't really sweat it when some random part ends up good'n'worn led you to judge me as either lazy, inept and/or poor.

Judge not...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking care of your stuff; I just got tired of trying to keep everything pretty and perfect at some point and just wanted to ride more, so I went with that. You'd be surprised how long stuff will function with a minimum of attention, specially as far as cleaning. Besides wiping fork and shock sliding surfaces, or blasting the bike with a hose sometimes after a really messy ride, I can't say I really do any. Usually, dirt falls off by itself during the next ride anyway.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    But on the flipside, the fact that I don't really sweat it when some random part ends up good'n'worn led you to judge me as either lazy, inept and/or poor.

Judge not...

Ha ha, got me there I guess, but it was blackitout's callout that prompted it. Plus, that's a pretty far gone pulley you must admit. Based on your grudge match comment, I guess "stubborn" would have been the better judgmental descriptor. Cheers and ride on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ha ha, got me there I guess, but it was blackitout's callout that prompted it. Plus, that's a pretty far gone pulley you must admit. Based on your grudge match comment, I guess "stubborn" would have been the better judgmental descriptor. Cheers and ride on.
    I can't argue with stubborn. Pretty much defines my mtb style.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    no the chain I keep oiled. The derailleur I don't disassemble and clean. That's just me. I worded the chain part wrong and knew it the second I did. i was driving on a 2 hour trip as I wrote that.

mtbr member

Judge not...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with taking care of your stuff; I just got tired of trying to keep everything pretty and perfect at some point and just wanted to ride more, so I went with that. You'd be surprised how long stuff will function with a minimum of attention, specially as far as cleaning. Besides wiping fork and shock sliding surfaces, or blasting the bike with a hose sometimes after a really messy ride, I can't say I really do any. Usually, dirt falls off by itself during the next ride anyway.
    I'm gonna have to go with this guys comment. You'd be surprised how long things will last when you don't treat it like a newborn baby. **** happens, things get wrecked. That's all a part of the game. Like he said I'd rather ride more and to say I don't ride much is judgement. I ride 4-5 times a week on black diamond trails in my area. Just because I don't clean my bike and disassemble the entire thing every 2 weeks doesn't mean I'm lazy. It means I know the capabilities of components and how much they can go through. 20 years is a long time and that was just basic Altus components. Maybe now that they are all made in China it's different. I don't know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18