mtbr member

Good dog booties?

My dog's paws got torn up on our ride tonight. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I'm not sure why this happens. There is a short section of gravel road to start, but after that, it is mostly dirt. We go walking on this same trail all the time and he has no problems, but this makes twice he has cut his paws up when we were riding there.

Does anyone know of a good brand of dog booties that actually work and don't come off of the dog?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Big Mac
    Hey Mike. I bought a pair for my pooch a year or so ago. She had an issue with her pads, or specifically, between her toes, that I thought might be MTB related. Turns out it was a fungus, so I don't use them. They stayed put, but I do recall an issue with her dew claws. I think the brand is Ruff Wear and they were highly rated. Anyway, I'm in Asheville and if your interested, I'd let you have them for cheap. She used them once. Let me know and I'll try to round 'em up.

mtbr member
    What size is your dog? My mutt is about 70 lbs.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

leenapaul76

hi

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    hi friend,

i am new on these forum...

well, size of my dog is 59 lbs..

Big Mac
    She's 60ish lbs.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i've tried THREE different brands of dog boots, and they all sucked. i tried the RuffWear, and 2 other popular brands that are sold at REI and Amazon.com. they were all sized correctly... well, as close as they could be. one set would tuck under her dew claw and irritate her. another set was held in place with elastic which was too tight and caused all the fur to be rubbed off in a ring around her ankle. the other set was either too wide for her paw or too tight around the ankle; there was no in-between size.

my dog is a 75lb weimaraner.

what she wears now are handmade booties that my mom (a tailor) made out of the extra leather (for repairs) from her couch. it's a heavy grain buffalo hide and they are amazing. they breathe well, are reasonably waterproof, don't have the awkward fit of every store bought item we've tried, and are even kinda classy!

if you're going to buy booties, bring your dog with you and make sure they're a perfect fit. remember, you wouldn't settle with "good enough" for your cycling and/or hiking shoes!

mtbr member
    I tried other boots Ruff is ok for winter use. I make my own now. Here in fruita days are hot an the trails have a lot rocks.
    I found this boots in a Field Hunting mag, They are for hunting dogs. But they are made out of light weight leather. Use them for a pattern to make up some out of some tuff leather. I also use shoe Goo on the running surface. I get many years out of set. remember a Dog cools threw there Pads too so the air around the foot is needed. Plus I always start the run with them off. just to keep the pads in good condition. And when I see The need I put them on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good dog booties?-lula-dog-boots.jpg  

Good dog booties?-resize-re-exposure-img_1422.jpg  

" They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

Blue Pig
    Hate to know what you call your kids!
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerider
    I tried other boots Ruff is ok for winter use. I make my own now. Here in fruita days are hot an the trails have a lot rocks.
    I found this boots in a Field Hunting mag, They are for hunting dogs. But they are made out of light weight leather. Use them for a pattern to make up some out of some tuff leather. I also use shoe Goo on the running surface. I get many years out of set. remember a Dog cools threw there Pads too so the air around the foot is needed. Plus I always start the run with them off. just to keep the pads in good condition. And when I see The need I put them on.
    thats a good idea, but doesn't it bother your dogs feet?
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Singletrack Slacker
    Lula's (the dog in the pic above) put on more miles than most mtbrs will in their lifetimes. A dogs paws will build up calluses just like we do, it just take time and patience to not run them to much. If our dogs can handle the rocks in Fruita, I can't imagine yours not being ok on dirt, just give your pooch enough time for the paws to harden up.
    I need to ride moooore