Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Go to hell!

Give it a crank
    Wow, that's an amazing place! Great shots!

Bite Me.
    Damnation and hell fire.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

This place needs an enema
    All: Glad you're digging it. It was worth all of the suffering, including hobbling around (and napping) like an old man today.

Kent: Got any days off coming up? Probably easily doable in a weekend for you?

Jwind: Heaps. Most I've ever seen, and not just in the washes. Meh.

Cutt: Next time...

Airborne Flight Crew
    Been on the bucket list for a while, thanks for the impetus to move it up several notches, like to the top. Great shots!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Ride More, Whine Less
    Great stuff!

mtbr member
    Trail! What trail? All I see is a bunch a damn rock?
    Cool!
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

mtbr member
    Incredible pics Mike! Makes me want to go ride it again tomorrow, and I would if it weren't for the 12hr drive! That place has amazing potential if one were allowed to build a MTB specific trail there. I imagine a grittier, more technical version of Gooseberry mesa. Thanks for posting!

Ya, right.
    I know someone who rode this. He's a super fit, very skilled and slightly crazy rider. He said this trail broke him. He loved the scenery but was glad to get off the trail when it was done.

He also cracked a weld on his Yeti 575 on this trail -- the day before our group's big Porcupine Rim ride. Oops

Great pics though!
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stellar

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for posting this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The inevitable "what camera/lens did you use?" question

I couldn't tell from your exif data. I'm thinking more in terms of portability. If it was your 7D how did you carry it and how wide did you have to shoot to capture all of that stunning scenery? If it was some smaller camera I'd sure like to know which one it was.

I've been reading threads about "5 M of H" for years now and the common point everyone makes is how it totally kicks your azz. I think your pics showed that pretty well
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Nice, I wish we had places like that here in Belgium.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Nice work on the photos, write up and riding. Looks like quite an amazing place.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I couldn't tell from your exif data. I'm thinking more in terms of portability. If it was your 7D how did you carry it and how wide did you have to shoot to capture all of that stunning scenery? If it was some smaller camera I'd sure like to know which one it was.
    I took my 7d with a Sigma 8-16. Last second I removed the 50/1.4 from the pack and grabbed my S100 P&S to act as "tele lens".

There aren't enough hours of daylight this time of year to have the luxury of swapping lenses out there. Plus it was also so incredibly moondust-y even in the parking lot that I didn't want the hassle of trying to keep glass and sensor clean.

32 of the shots above were taken with the 7d/8mm, and the remaining 8 came from the S100. Not as obvious (to my eye) as you'd think, as far as which came from which.

I can't believe how durable the Sigma lens has been. I love it at 8mm but I'm constantly cranking the ring trying to get it to 7 or even 6...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I took my 7d with a Sigma 8-16. Last second I removed the 50/1.4 from the pack and grabbed my S100 P&S to act as "tele lens".

There aren't enough hours of daylight this time of year to have the luxury of swapping lenses out there. Plus it was also so incredibly moondust-y even in the parking lot that I didn't want the hassle of trying to keep glass and sensor clean.

32 of the shots above were taken with the 7d/8mm, and the remaining 8 came from the S100. Not as obvious (to my eye) as you'd think, as far as which came from which.

I can't believe how durable the Sigma lens has been. I love it at 8mm but I'm constantly cranking the ring trying to get it to 7 or even 6...
    The S100 does take great shots. I'm not surprised you took your 7D and Sigma wide angle but given the sketchiness of the riding, how did you carry it? I know some favor a chest harness but a mountaineer guy once said he didn't use one because of the fear of falling forward and having the camera slam into his chest.

Did you carry the 7D in your pack? I used to carry my DSLR on my hip till I fell over onto side right on top of that camera case! In one's pack solves both those scenarios but sure takes a dedicated photog to stop and get the camera out as needed. Maybe the trails there are so sketchy that you were stopped a lot anyway!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Quote Originally Posted by DSDuke View Post
    I know someone who rode this. He's a super fit, very skilled and slightly crazy rider. He said this trail broke him. He loved the scenery but was glad to get off the trail when it was done.
    There aren't many people out there that this trail doesn't break. If you have the gumption to try to clean things, and you don't have your spouse standing over your shoulder telling you when you've had enough, then you'll eventually end up on the ground, bleeding a bit, and covered in dust.

Those that don't have any interest in trying to clean every little move typically don't think highly of this trail. They push their fully rigid single speeds 75% of the day, then (back at the trailhead) grumble into their PBR's about the lack of flow...

mtbr member
    Killer photos! Thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    The S100 does take great shots. I'm not surprised you took your 7D and Sigma wide angle but given the sketchiness of the riding, how did you carry it? I know some favor a chest harness but a mountaineer guy once said he didn't use one because of the fear of falling forward and having the camera slam into his chest.

Did you carry the 7D in your pack? I used to carry my DSLR on my hip till I fell over onto side right on top of that camera case! In one's pack solves both those scenarios but sure takes a dedicated photog to stop and get the camera out as needed. Maybe the trails there are so sketchy that you were stopped a lot anyway!
    Carried the S100 on a shoulder holster for instant access. But rarely used it.

7d inside my Osprey Talon 11 pack. Requires stopping, taking pack off, opening two zippers, wiping the lens (always a bit dusty when it comes out) then reversing the process to get back to riding.

It is a slow, cumbersome process to be a photogeek on any trail, but that's the only way to get the good stuff, so...

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Good stuff as usual. Nice way to start my rainy morning.
    Don't harsh my mello

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wg View Post
    Good stuff as usual. Nice way to start my rainy morning.
    Looks like Endo time to me.

MTB Fanatic
    Wow!!!
    Nathan

Probably drunk right now

The answer...

Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post
    Where is this?
    Really? Let me help you:

1. Go to this new site called "Google" (I know, the name sounds funny but it's actually a cool site): Google

2. Type in "Five miles of hell"

3. As if by magic, information will appear on the page. The very first piece of information is this: Five Miles of Hell

Good luck, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about the website.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    Really? Let me help you:

1. Go to this new site called "Google" (I know, the name sounds funny but it's actually a cool site): Google

2. Type in "Five miles of hell"

3. As if by magic, information will appear on the page. The very first piece of information is this: Five Miles of Hell

Good luck, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions about the website.
    Here, you gotta use this

Let me google that for you

mtbr member
    Great shots, as usual. Nothing like the Swell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast