mtbr member

Girlfriend and I have a new wingman

Name: Kaden
    Sex: No
    Breed: Boxer

First Assignment: Eight mile course at an easy pace; her training included three to five mile jogs (on leash) and frequent playtime with older brother (also boxer). She performed flawlessly, always covering my six. I think she'll make for a fine trail dog. We even encounterd some hostiles (two fat Australian sheepdogs) but she never broke formation. She wasn't quite up to our regular riding pace, but it was her first ride so I suspect she'll improve. Next, I'll make a man out of her lazy brother yet. That is, until it gets too hot for the both of them. Boxers hate the heat. That's all for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

a.k.a. MTBMaven

That's Interesting

Several months back there was a long running thread about what dog breads are good for biking. I remember reading that boxers were not good breads because of their short snout. Now I am a dog neophyte so pardon me if I don't use the correct terms here, but basically their nasal passage is scrunched up and they can't breathe very well. I guess you haven't experienced any problems.

Anyone else got any idea about this? I really like boxers and would like to get one when I get a house some day.

aka baycat
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    Several months back there was a long running thread about what dog breads are good for biking. I remember reading that boxers were not good breads because of their short snout. Now I am a dog neophyte so pardon me if I don't use the correct terms here, but basically their nasal passage is scrunched up and they can't breathe very well. I guess you haven't experienced any problems.

Anyone else got any idea about this? I really like boxers and would like to get one when I get a house some day.
    I bring my two dogs with me, one is a Golden Retriever and the other an Ausrailian Sheep Dog. My Aussie is a perfect trail dog, since he love to herd, he just follows my tire and has limitless energy. But people have told me Goldens were not good, for whatever reason, as a trail dog, much like what you are saying about boxers. But he is a real good trail runner, I guess it is more dependent on the dog....?

locked - time out
    Wow - she's beautiful.

The dog's pretty cool too.
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 05-11-2005 at 07:58 AM.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend

Yeah - watch those "short nosed dogs" carefully, I unwittingly gave my Bordeaux heat stroke taking her on a short ride - both scary and very expensive, she spent a night at the doggy ER. No more rides for her since that experience - it seems to have affected her since she now is much more sensitive to heat than she was before.

mtbr member
    My boxers seem to be fine until the temps get over 75-80. I was made aware by the breeder that boxers made poor trail dogs but my girlfriend and I loved the breed so much that we didn't care wether or not they could ride with us. Kaden seems really athletic though, and we tried to get her aclimated before her first trail ride. I don't think this will last into the summer, but I'm having fun while she is. When the going gets too hot, I guess we'll have to take night rides .

mtbr member
    Time to cut that steerer tube.

Nice dog.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Wow - she's beautiful.

The dog's pretty cool too.
    My thoughts exactly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    My thoughts exactly.
    Gratuitous girlfriend pic; dogs. Aren't they pretty?
    Attached Images Attached Images