Thread: The Gift II

mtbr member

The Gift II

I've posted here before that my work-life balance is a bit out of whack right now. I am an exec at a small, growing, startup logistics company that frequently consists of 70+ hour work weeks. I travel 50% to 80% every week. When I'm not traveling, I have a 70 mile, one-way commute to our headquarters in Atlanta...and through the worst of Atlanta traffic (I-75, I-85, AND I-285 on the top end).

I've also got four kids with the amount of activities you'd expect four kids to have.

But this post isn't about my work-life balance...it's about The Gift.

Every week, I strive to get in two rides -- one Saturday and one Sunday. Sometimes a gymnastics meet or horse show or school play gets in the way but I appreciate every one of these. I need these two rides -- mentally and physically. I've lost 70 pounds in the last 2 years and the bike is one reason.

The Gift, for me, however, is when I get a mid-week ride. Mid-week riding is almost unheard of for me so they are extremely special when the stars align and I can get out there on a warm summer evening.

Last night was one of those special nights. It was made a bit more special because I had just upgraded my rear hub to 142x12 through axle and was dying to give it a ride. Because of some fun travel, I won't be able to ride over Labor Day weekend so I was looking at a solid 2 weeks before being able to test out my new axle.

But the stars aligned and I found myself home at 5:00 PM last night. I packed up my gear and bike and headed to my local trail.

Some days you hammer the pedals. Some days you spin the pedals. Some days the pedals hammer you. But last night, I danced on the pedals. I only rode for about 1:20 and 1300 ft. of climbing but I haven't ridden that well in a long time. I set a few PRs on the climbs and handled most of the tech stuff better than normal but that didn't matter. What mattered is that I felt GREAT.

The new axle was part of it...things always feel better when they are new, even if it's just perception. Some of it was the beautiful weather. But the main reason I had such a great ride is because I was out on a Tuesday night riding.

Appreciate The Gift whenever you get it.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Good perspective. Sometimes it is easy to take rides (any time of the week) for granted.
    Last edited by Chad_M; 08-28-2014 at 11:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Awesome! Now that's passion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Wow just reading your post gave me a few gray hairs. lol
    Quite the life schedule there.

Glad you had a chance to spin for awhile.

mtbr member
    Congratulations. It is always nice when you get a gift and can appreciate how special it is.

mtbr member
    I love those perfect rides. Good for you..
    18" rigid Unit