Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Georgia anti-bike bill (HB 689)

Bill introduced in the Georgia Legislature to have bicycles registered via the county tag office. Not good. Please call your representative. House Members List

summary: "A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Title 40 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to motor vehicles and traffic, so as to provide for registration and licensing of bicycles; to revise a definition; to provide for the acquisition of a license plate prior to the operation of a bicycle on streets with motor vehicle traffic; to provide for the design of license plates for bicycles; to provide for the option of a one-time bicycle registration fee in lieu of annual registration; to prescribe fees for annual and one-time registration of bicycles; to provide for requirements for the operation of bicycles upon a roadway; to authorize the establishment of rules and regulations; to provide for enforcement; to provide for related matters; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes."

HB*689*2013-2014 Regular Session

New GA proposed bill (HB 689) would require bikes to be registered like cars to ride on roads : Atlanta

Help Beat Back Georgia Anti-Bicycling Bill | League of American Bicyclists

Read more: GA anti-bike bill (HB689) | SORBA-CSRA Community Bulletin Board

banned
    Jan 2013
    ^ does not look anti bike to me, this is a blatant political cash grab. Sadly, if it passes, it will set precedent. Revenue and jobs created to regulate what millions of people are already doing? It will spread to more states than just Georgia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Got to agree. It is all about making money. Really, a license plate for bicycles. I'll put a plate on my bike when I start to commute on the interstate!!

mtbr member
    Gotta "feed the beast"!

mtbr member
    It's probably not about money--these sorts of programs usually end up costing more money to oversee than they bring in. It's anti bike because it's simple bureaucratic harassment-meant to make cycling a bit more inconvenient and complicated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is just crazy. Next thing you know you wont be able to walk down the street with out a tag attached to your @$$. So then what, you'll have to register your kids bike for them to be able to play in the park?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You need to read more than the preamble to the bill to recognize how anti-bike it is. First of all, it requires a 4" x 7" license tag to be affixed to each bike.

Then there is this change to the motor vehicle code that it proposes:
    "(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast ride single file except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than two abreast single file. Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall ride no more than four riders per single file line, and at least four feet shall separate each bicycle. At least 50 feet shall be maintained between each line of four riders at all times."

Also this part:
    "(e) When a roadway is part of the state highway system, the Department of Transportation may restrict persons from riding bicycles on the roadway or designate certain times when bicycle riding is permissible. When a roadway is part of a local road system, a local governing authority may restrict persons from riding bicycles on the roadway or designate certain times when bicycle riding is permissible."

So, yes, it is a bill very unfriendly to bicycles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know this doesn't affect Georgia, but follow with me. I live in Idaho. FAt bikes are wanting to use the groomed snowmobile trails. But you can't use the groomed trails with out a groomer sticker. You can't buy a groomer sticker without a registration. You can't register non motorized vehicles. Fat bikes can't buy a groomer sticker to support the groomers. So maybe there is some room to register a bike somewhere in the usa.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall ride no more than four riders per single file line, and at least four feet shall separate each bicycle. At least 50 feet shall be maintained between each line of four riders at all times."
    They really don't like drafting in GA???

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    LOL

The Cadillac and Lincoln drivers don't like being delayed a minute or two while waiting for a safe chance to pass a group of cyclists...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I know this doesn't affect Georgia, but follow with me. I live in Idaho. FAt bikes are wanting to use the groomed snowmobile trails. But you can't use the groomed trails with out a groomer sticker. You can't buy a groomer sticker without a registration. You can't register non motorized vehicles. Fat bikes can't buy a groomer sticker to support the groomers. So maybe there is some room to register a bike somewhere in the usa.
    I don't have that big of a problem with registration - though it's the first step towards confiscation, doncha know? I do have a problem with a 4"x7" tag hanging off the back of my bike....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    While I don't fancy the idea of having to pay additional registration fees for my commuter bike if it supported the construction of bike infrastructure, bike lanes/paths, that wouldn't be all bad. I didn't read the bill so I don't know if anything like this is included, merely supposition on my part.

A 4x7 license tag would be a pretty massive bit of wind resistance, especially on a road bike.

The biggest problem I see is the bit about restricting which roads/times bikes are allowed on. If you're paying a registration fee to use the roads, how can they limit which roads you can use? Seems like a massive pile of BS to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    F that so hard. Land of the free my butt

mtbr member

Georgia anti-bike bill (HB 689)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRingGrinder View Post
    ^ does not look anti bike to me, this is a blatant political cash grab. Sadly, if it passes, it will set precedent. Revenue and jobs created to regulate what millions of people are already doing? It will spread to more states than just Georgia.
    You got that right!!! Jerk offs need more money to spend on nonsense. So tax bikes! Next they will tax your sneakers if you wear them to walk on city streets
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

mtbr member
    I remember while stationed in North Carolina a tax being levied on dogs. I had to go to the court house and fill out a form saying I did not have one.
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blmpkn View Post
    F that so hard. Land of the free my butt
    Yep

bike registration is hardly a money grab. as mentioned before, it doesn't bring in as much as it costs. this is all about control. someone wants to control bikes to an unreasonable extent.

I have no problem with registration in theory, if it pays for the costs of administering the program, and cyclists gain something from doing so. For example, the aforementioned fatbike access to groomed trails. I strongly believe that education needs serious improvement. I think drivers AND cyclists should be required to take the same course regarding traffic education. Driver's ed courses/exams need better coverage for cycling, and improving existing programs would be cheaper than creating a new program for cyclists. I also support all drivers/cyclists being required to retake the exam on a regular basis. Retaking the exam more than every 5yrs would probably be too much. 5-10 yrs would probably be fine.

there are simply too many drivers who have no idea and no care about what it takes to operate a car safely. There are too many bike riders who don't care. Salmon riding, shitty visibility, cutting across traffic, riding in the median, and all manner of psycho unpredictable behavior. they need more comprehensive training/testing to get a driver's license in the first place and they need regular refreshers afterwards. and more frequently when they are cited for traffic violations.

But the laws limiting the way cyclists ride are VERY anti bicycle. they only make sense if the person who wrote this bill hates being inconvenienced by roadies. I do not support that kind of BS. Cyclists should not be allowed to be excluded from certain surface roads, ever. Conversely, states should be mandated to accommodate bikes on ALL roads.

mm9
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just watching the news here in Georgia. The Bill is dead. There was a huge outpouring of people against it and the lawmakers dropped it. Good news!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mm9 View Post
    Just watching the news here in Georgia. The Bill is dead. There was a huge outpouring of people against it and the lawmakers dropped it. Good news!
    Sweet! I really could see that spreading faster than a silent fart.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Plenty of goofball nanny state bills are proposed (and die) in state legislatures. Last year Rep. Greenlick in Oregon proposed a bill to ban kids from riding in bike trailers and child seats on the backs of adult bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    While I don't fancy the idea of having to pay additional registration fees for my commuter bike if it supported the construction of bike infrastructure, bike lanes/paths, that wouldn't be all bad. I didn't read the bill so I don't know if anything like this is included, merely supposition on my part.
    Yeah, I don't see a huge problem with it either. It looks more "anti-club/group ride" than anti-bike. Personally, I think it is a little ridiculous that these clubs go out and practice their "sport" on the road, clogging up traffic and disregarding basic traffic rules. Kind of like me and my friends deciding we want to play some ball out in the street, and expecting everyone to drive around us or be ok with it. Don't get me wrong -- I lot a few thousand road miles every year, so I'm not anti-bike at all. But there is a huge difference between the transportation/fitness rider and the club/sport rider, as far as attitudes and amount of interference caused on the roads by them. The groups of 15-30 riders on Saturday and Sunday mornings really do become quite annoying, and their disregard for traffic rules is disappointing.

And I would happily pay a few $$ every year, particularly if it went to maintain and improve bike lanes on the roads. Some in our county have become quite a mess.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's difficult to imagine people registering their kids' first bikes that only get ridden on quiet residential streets. So a law like this could be widely ignored or selectively enforced; or kids will be even further discouraged from riding bikes because it presents too many inconveniences for the parents.

I am also forced to wonder about bicycle tourists who happen to pass through Georgia. Will out-of-state residents passing through on the ACA Atlantic Coast Route be constantly harassed because they don't display a proper license plate? This is so dumb and impractical on so many levels.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    Also from Idaho. I totally understand your point and really don't want to derail this thread, but personally I wouldn't want to share the trails with some of those crazya$$ rednecks on their snowmokillers. Been there, done that. Never again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Georgia anti-bike bill (HB 689)-526902_624069714276757_1380260512_n.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegerman View Post
    Also from Idaho. I totally understand your point and really don't want to derail this thread, but personally I wouldn't want to share the trails with some of those crazya$$ rednecks on their snowmokillers. Been there, done that. Never again.
    You must be talking about me. I love winter and sleds and hunting and biking and beer and babes and big racks. trying to have fun with this.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Yeah, I don't see a huge problem with it either. It looks more "anti-club/group ride" than anti-bike. Personally, I think it is a little ridiculous that these clubs go out and practice their "sport" on the road, clogging up traffic and disregarding basic traffic rules. Kind of like me and my friends deciding we want to play some ball out in the street, and expecting everyone to drive around us or be ok with it. Don't get me wrong -- I lot a few thousand road miles every year, so I'm not anti-bike at all. But there is a huge difference between the transportation/fitness rider and the club/sport rider, as far as attitudes and amount of interference caused on the roads by them. The groups of 15-30 riders on Saturday and Sunday mornings really do become quite annoying, and their disregard for traffic rules is disappointing.

And I would happily pay a few $$ every year, particularly if it went to maintain and improve bike lanes on the roads. Some in our county have become quite a mess.
    Club rides are a problem? Give me a f-ing break. Just because they slow down some weekend traffic for a few seconds? No, it doesn't sound like you are anti-bike at all.

We all need to get this damn mentality out of our heads that streets and roads are just for cars. When studies show that cyclists are causing the majority of the driver/cyclist collisions, we can talk. When there is hard evidence that "club rides" are causing any significant issue, even a statistical blip to causing traffic jams, we can talk. Sure, we as cyclists need to obey the rules...but the problem is drivers, not cyclists. Sit on any sidewalk and watch traffic pass by and you will see a so many people texting, speeding, switching lanes without signaling, insert whatever traffic law here. Its amazing not more of us cyclists are getting run over.

Rant over.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast