Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gatlinburg Adventure (Rescue)

1K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  zyzbot 
#1 ·
Ok so Adventure is a stretch as I'll be locked up in a rental house with my wife's whole family. Rescue, in the form of "I need to get away and ride" is what I'm expecting I'll need as a result of being locked up in a rental house with my wife's whole family. In any case, it looks like I'll be packing up the family unit and headed out to Gatlinburg TN in early July for an in-law family reunion. I figure the drive alone, from CT to TN should get me one day on a bike in the woods.

So where is the MTBing and how far away from it will I be? According to Mapquest, Asheville is about 80 miles away and there seemed to be several bike shops there. Any place closer to Gatlinburg? I don't want to waste a lot of saddle time driving to pick up a rental then driving to the trail head. Can anyone recommend a good place to rent a bike and join up on a group ride?

Pisgah?
Cold Mtn?
Tsali?

#2 ·
GCM said:
Ok so Adventure is a stretch as I'll be locked up in a rental house with my wife's whole family. Rescue, in the form of "I need to get away and ride" is what I'm expecting I'll need as a result of being locked up in a rental house with my wife's whole family. In any case, it looks like I'll be packing up the family unit and headed out to Gatlinburg TN in early July for an in-law family reunion. I figure the drive alone, from CT to TN should get me one day on a bike in the woods.

So where is the MTBing and how far away from it will I be? According to Mapquest, Asheville is about 80 miles away and there seemed to be several bike shops there. Any place closer to Gatlinburg? I don't want to waste a lot of saddle time driving to pick up a rental then driving to the trail head. Can anyone recommend a good place to rent a bike and join up on a group ride?

Pisgah?
Cold Mtn?
Tsali?
PM me with your email. There is some great riding in the Knoxville area which would be closer. What size bike do you ride?

#3 ·
Me Too

Dude, I'm going to be there around June sometime for the same reasons. My wife and her 3 wicked sisters for a family re-onion,Boo Hiss. We will be in Pigeon Hole. I'm coming up from Charlotte. I'm bringing my bike with me. Is there any good MTBing around there, or do I need to default to a road bike. What's the skinny there Motzart

#5 ·
The immediate area really doesn't offer much for mountain bikes, but within a 30-40 miles there is plenty. The road riding nearby is truly awesome. Hwy 129 (The Dragon) is pretty close and is the best road ride you'll ever do. Plan on riding it very early to beat all the mullet headed sport bike riders. Foothills Pkwy. is also a wonderful roadride that you can connect with 129 if you want alonger effort.

A couple of views from the Pkwy

Attachments

#9 ·
Wish I could help you out with the bike, but.....

There is about 14 miles of trail (with 8 miles of it being really nice) in Panther Creek State Park just outside of Morristown. That was my old stomping grounds. It may be a little closer than Knoxville. Don't know about any group rides there now either. There was a group that met around 5 PM on Wednesdays in the summer, but I don't know if those guys are still doing that. I haven't lived in the area for a few years now. I sure do miss it!

Go Kart, those are some right-clickable picks there. You are dead on about 129 being a beauitiful road. But that is all the way on the other side of Knoxville from Gatlinburg. If the OP wanted to cross over to NC to hit Tsali, or better yet, Fontana he could probably get there faster through the park. And if I were on a roadie, the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a must ride.

Oh, that reminds me. The Nantahala Outdoor Center near Tsali rents bikes. Just an hour and a half (maybe 35 miles) from Gatlinburg. Traffic sucks all the way from I40 to Cherokee, NC with all of the tourists.

Next time tell them to get a cabin near Bryson City or Fontana, NC. Much more relaxing, and closer to trails too!

#10 ·
Oh No....

Ok you guys are getting me nervous - I thought we would be headed out to a quiet, earthy-crunchy part of the good-old-US-of-A but based on some of your comments it seems like we'll be at Dixie's version of Coney Island or Old Orchard Beach - kitsch at it's best. Please tell me I'm wrong!

Someone mentioned Pigeon Hole. We are actually staying in a house managed by SunsetCottage Reality in Pigeon Forge. Is this far enough on the "edge of town" to relieve some of the congestion problems?

Go Kart Mozart, I'll PM you soon.

#13 ·
Gatlinburg is a sea of humanity anytime short of dead winter. You'll need rescuing from there as well. 35+yrs ago it was common to see 10 mile backups on the roads going in and out(and the roads for the most part are the same now as then). God forbid someone sees a bear along the road. No accidents or problems, just too many people. The eastern side of the Smokies is much much better. Fontana, Bryson City, Tsali, Kilmer, NOC, easy access to Pisgah, etc.

#15 ·
Uh Oh

Sounds like the bears are running for their life, trying to seek cover from all the tourist. Might better buy me a Trials bike and learn how to hop around downtown. :( I thought for sure, it would be at least half as good as my side of the hills (pisgah). Some one please tell me something positive.

GCM, I'm feeling your pain. At least your not going be locked up with "The Three Wicked Sisters" and their famalies.

#16 ·
Duckman said:
Gatlinburg is a sea of humanity anytime short of dead winter. You'll need rescuing from there as well. 35+yrs ago it was common to see 10 mile backups on the roads going in and out(and the roads for the most part are the same now as then). God forbid someone sees a bear along the road. No accidents or problems, just too many people. The eastern side of the Smokies is much much better. Fontana, Bryson City, Tsali, Kilmer, NOC, easy access to Pisgah, etc.
Yea, Gatlinburg is pretty hellish, but I am sure the cabins are fine and usually a good ways from town. I took my little girl to the Aqarium last year and ended up people watching more than fish watching. Lots of rebel flag muscle shirts and mullets.

#19 ·
GCM said:
Call Jimmy at Cycle Quest in Pigeon Forge. He's just a few minutes up the road and knows everything in the area. I believe they rent bikes, too.
http://www.cyclequestbikes.com/index.htm

#21 ·
Thanks to all

Gotta thank ya all (practicing the lingo :) ) for all the great info - knowing nothing about this area but assuming (incorrectly as it turns out) it was completely out in the sticks, I didn't expect too much 'activity' on this thread.

I'm glad I know several months in advance what I'm in for (traffic/congestion) - it would have been a major eye-opener when I arrived if I didn't know this...

Thanks again, especially to Go Kart Motzart (I will be in touch via PM) and to ignazjr for the link and contact to CycleQuest :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.