Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    MTBR Mafia

Further proof that frame snapping is BAD!!

Snapped my frame on a 4 footer to flat in a concrete wash. had to have my dad help me rip my lip from my braces cause it was nearly through. My eyelids were bleeding, shoulder all messed up, but nothing permanent or even broken bones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All Mountain was so 2005

Slowest Rider

Ouch!

Ohmygosh. That's gotta hurt. Good that the braces kept your teeth wired into your head where they belong. Glad to see nothing worse happened and you can still post. Don't do that again!

You'll be the first I've directly seen break a Heckler (which I also ride). You don't look big enough to break a Heckler, even on a 4' drop to flat. Where's the broken bike picture? Where'd the frame snap?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

I HATE GOLF
    ouch. nice mug. the lips from braces part sounds gross. where did the frame snap?
    FVCK YOU

MTBR Mafia
    no i got the heckler after my old giant frame snapped. it was an ancient hardtail that i used for street riding. ill try to get pics. oh ya, it snapped near the headtube
    All Mountain was so 2005

MTBR Mafia
    Here's some pics of the frame. yes i know i shouldn't have been riding it anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All Mountain was so 2005

Slowest Rider

Thanks for Bike Pic

Wow, the bike tubes look like they both simultaneously sheared off, not at a weld like I'd expect.

I gather this happened a while ago, which is why you're recovered enough to buy a new bike and do a post.

How did it happen? How about the rest of the story?

MTBR Mafia
    it happened probable a month ago and i was riding with my cousin around neihgborhoods just looking for stuff to mess around on (Drops,natural jumps, stairs, etc) so we found this was with that spikey concrete that comes up about a half inch to super sharp points. so i did some wall rides and just jumping in it and then i saw at the end was this drop that went from the desert preserve into the wash. so i did it and just as i landed i feel something snap, no noise just this feeling, then the next thing i know, my hands are down at my ankles with the handlebars and the concrete is getting offly close. next thing i remember is my cousing shaking me and my head hurting real bad. I got up and asked him if i needed stiches. him, being the 11 year old he is, was speechless. so i got out my camera phone, yes it comes in handy, and layed eyes on my mangled face. there was blood dripping from my eyelids and i could not spit the blood out fast enough that was in my mouth. i called up my dad and he drove to me. While waiting i tried to gt my lip off my braces but it was stuck. i mean i was yanking with two adrenaline pumped hands. My dad arrives and together we get my lip free and head to urgent care. the results come back that there are no broken bones or damage to my actual eyes. they did comment over and over that i was extremely lucky. So all i had were flesh wounds and two busted braces, not that bad. and i was healed and riding in 11 days ( i heel exeptionally quick).
    So theres my story.
    All Mountain was so 2005

Glad you're okay. Now I keep thinking about what my mouth innards would feel like after pulling 'em off braces (I have had lacerations inside my mouth but not like that)...no, make that having someone else pull 'em off.

If it's okay by you I think I'll save your pix for the next time someone asks if it's okay to jump or huck a bike not built for the purpose...I sure hope you can't do that to a Heckler.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Glad you're okay. Now I keep thinking about what my mouth innards would feel like after pulling 'em off braces (I have had lacerations inside my mouth but not like that)...no, make that having someone else pull 'em off.

If it's okay by you I think I'll save your pix for the next time someone asks if it's okay to jump or huck a bike not built for the purpose...I sure hope you can't do that to a Heckler.
    ya thats the reason i bought a heckler.
    All Mountain was so 2005

My Member Rides a MTB

Ok...

I see your picture up there, but where's the one of you showing your injuries?
    '05 Giant Trance 2
    '06 Giant OCR1

The writer is the engineer of the human soul. -Joseph Stalin

Glad to Be Alive
    sorry to here that...were you wearing a full face helmet?? or any helmet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stophovr6
    ouch. nice mug. the lips from braces part sounds gross. where did the frame snap?

You stole my old avatar!!
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    sorry to here that...were you wearing a full face helmet?? or any helmet
    no unfortunately no helmet at all. although i doubt anything but a full face would have helped. and i dont have the money for one right now.
    All Mountain was so 2005

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    no unfortunately no helmet at all. although i doubt anything but a full face would have helped. and i dont have the money for one right now.

you don't have the money for a helmet, but you do have the money for doctor bills....hmmm very interesting
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    you don't have the money for a helmet, but you do have the money for doctor bills....hmmm very interesting
    thats where my money went to. plus i already have a regular helmet so i think i will be fine if I wear it. which i have been now
    All Mountain was so 2005

Slowest Rider
    thats where my money went to. plus i already have a regular helmet so i think i will be fine if I wear it. which i have been now
    And I doubt the Heckler was free either. If you can find money for an expensive bike and doctor, you can get money for a full face helmet that you need for your big jump riding.

I always wear a good Giro Xen helmet, but your "after" picture makes me want to get a full face helmet now as I practice drops over 2-3'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Lucky it wasn't worse!

Another reason to ride steel bikes.
    "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest" Henry David Thoreau (obviously a single speeder)

"...everytime you throw something away your load gets lighter..."

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Some people need full face helmets even off their bikes because they're just so ignorant.

Here's some words of wisdom:

-Ride within your abilities.
    -Ride within your equipment's capabilities.
    -Ride with a HELMET!!
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    And I doubt the Heckler was free either. If you can find money for an expensive bike and doctor, you can get money for a full face helmet that you need for your big jump riding.

I always wear a good Giro Xen helmet, but your "after" picture makes me want to get a full face helmet now as I practice drops over 2-3'.
    I don't really think you need a full face for 3' drops. my buddies have done 14 foot drops with a tranny with regular helmets.
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't really think you need a full face for 3' drops.
    funny that you should say that since you just smashed your face into the ground off a 4' drop.
    pay me

Slowest Rider
    I don't really think you need a full face for 3' drops. my buddies have done 14 foot drops with a tranny with regular helmets.
    The point is I'm practicing to do bigger 3' to 4' and more jumps on my own without much advice other than what I read on the web, which means making lots of mistakes. I'm sure your friends worked their way up to those big drops with lots of smashes on smaller jumps and lots of advice.

Also, big 14' drops are very dangerous, no matter what equipment you have, and require extremely good skills and setup. Although the best protection is to have good skills and equipment, they'd be wise to wear more armor.

My dentist told me last week that one tooth implant may cost me as much as $6000. (I'm still fighting for an alternative.) I count how many bikes I could buy with a few teeth or jaw knocked out and figure the face helmet's a real bargain. Could save some pain too. Your braces may have saved some of your teeth and massive dental implant costs.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 05-08-2005 at 01:25 PM.

MTB B'dos
    And when your buddies go run and jump off that 1,000 cliff are you going to follow them??? Sorry it's your own fault for knowing you should be wearing a helmet and not wearing one, but then again I bet you looked cool. Get the FF helmet and save yourself the grief.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Snapped my frame on a 4 footer to flat in a concrete wash. had to have my dad help me rip my lip from my braces cause it was nearly through. My eyelids were bleeding, shoulder all messed up, but nothing permanent or even broken bones.
    I saw and responded to you post over on the Santa Cruz board about rear shock options, and now I understand your great concern regarding pushing equipment past it's intended use. Just so you know, even if you do push the limits on the 5th Air or Vanilla R, the worst that is going to happen is you bottom the shock out or damage it, and you will bottom it out well before you damage it. In any event, it is highly unlikely to be the cause of an accident.

I am glad to hear you were not hurt in any truly serious capacity, and that you seem to have learned from this the importance of having the right tool for the job. Just remember that the right helmet is part of that.

Kapusta

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    The point is I'm practicing to do bigger 3' to 4' and more jumps on my own without much advice other than what I read on the web, which means making lots of mistakes. I'm sure your friends worked their way up to those big drops with lots of smashes on smaller jumps and lots of advice.

Also, big 14' drops are very dangerous, no matter what equipment you have, and require extremely good skills and setup. Although the best protection is to have good skills and equipment, they'd be wise to wear more armor.

My dentist told me last week that one tooth implant may cost me as much as $6000. (I'm still fighting for an alternative.) I count how many bikes I could buy with a few teeth or jaw knocked out and figure the face helmet's a real bargain. Could save some pain too. Your braces may have saved some of your teeth and massive dental implant costs.
    Ya your right i should get one. maybe ill try to get a job this summer and save up to buy one. thanks for persuading me to be safe.
    All Mountain was so 2005

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    And when your buddies go run and jump off that 1,000 cliff are you going to follow them??? Sorry it's your own fault for knowing you should be wearing a helmet and not wearing one, but then again I bet you looked cool. Get the FF helmet and save yourself the grief.
    Why would they jump off a 1,000' cliff in the first place?
    All Mountain was so 2005

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast