Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    A FS bike would not be my first choice for the road but, if you like it, go ahead and ride it where you want to.

At least your spare is not just hanging on a wall
    A FS would not be my first choice either, but it's logical how you came about this situation. And don't let anyone flip you crap because you're riding a mtb on the road. We're all cyclist; period.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    I commute to work on my Hardrock. Granted I mainly follow main thoroughfares and roads, but not all have sidewalks lining them! Keeps my conditioning up nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    would love some updated opinions

this thread, made me join the site

planning to buy a dual sus bike soon

i am so happy and excited

mtbr member
    Congrats man! That is exciting.

I personally think riding a MTB on the road is a blast. I had a 29er hardtail that I would take to ride with some buds in the evening as we all rode around the neighborhood. I liked having the dirtiest bike, being able to ride long wheelies and jump curbs without having to worry about taking it easy on the skinny 700c wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My road bike is a mt bike with slicks on it.Mt touring bike is a mt bike with slicks and a rack on it. My comuter bike is a mt bike with slick on it. My Mt bike is a Mt bike with bis fat tires on it. I LOVE MT BIKES>>>>> Oh I had a road bike for about six months and sold it to purchase another Mt bke..

YYZ
    mtbr member

Man oh Man

Dude. Cruising and checkin chicks is fine. Who cares what bike you ride.

Hardtail, 29er or full suspension, who cares?!

2 x 9, 3 x 10 single speed, who cares?!?!

40 spokes, 20, or 4. Who gives a damn!

Just keep riding man. Thats actually a brilliant idea you have.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I ride my 2011 Specialized FSR comp to work. 23 miles one way. I toss my vermins on for my commute air up to 65psi and cruise. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It is nice to be able to run through a ditch if a drive doesn't pay attention or i hit a dirt trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chango888 View Post
    would love some updated opinions

this thread, made me join the site

planning to buy a dual sus bike soon

i am so happy and excited
    I wouldn't buy a DS with the intention of using it mostly on the road. But whatever makes you happy and excited.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Are you using actual road bike tires, or fat slicks like Rock? I did this once quite a long time ago...I believe I did it to a cannondale...was basically mt frame, all mt parts...but I had little skinny 1 inch road tires on it.
    the skinny tires are sucky, no bump absorption , no big contact patch for braking and twitchy. Fat slicks the ticket

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can't complain with my FS with Mutano 2.4 XC tires on the road, it's the only one I have
    And with no MTB trails to speak of anywhere around me my FS is now a roadie.

mtbr member
    I have ridden my FS bike to work and back for years. A bit slower than a road bike but it doesn't bother me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I know quite a few people who have mountain bikes with slicks for riding around on the road. I've never heard of anyone calling them poser or anything else. Just get one of these Topline Bar Hopper Drink Holder: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors for your coffee and you're set.

mtbr member
    If you ride appropriate bike for terrain then it is one bit easier, if it is one bit easier your legs get weaker by that one bit, if your legs get weaker you drive same speed as those who drive "wrong" bike

In my area there are almost no road bikes, because rarely people can afford two different bikes and so mostly they choose mtb and ride it everywhere, and no one sees any problem with that.

I myself need to ride quite much on asphalt before I get to my mtb areas, and there is no problem. Of course if I would like to win some medal I would probably switch to road bike, but otherwise I do not see any point in keeping separate road bike to sometimes go drive around city.
    There is no man living that can not do more than he thinks he can. Henry Ford

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I found this thread when I googled "full suspension road bike." I am seriously thinking of putting one together due to arthritic knees. I am an avid MTBer and my knees feel really good when I am mountain biking, then when I get on the road bike my knees scream (especially when climbing). At first I thought it was gearing but I am running a triple up front and something like 28 in the rear. So then I deduced that it's the fact that my road bike has no give when I am pedaling. Yes, it would be inefficient but I don't care at all about my speed/time. Just want to road ride pain free.

I see many front suspension hybrids out there but haven't come across a full suspension road bike (can be a hybrid, doesn't matter to me, it's just for fun riding).

Any suggestions out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Trek domane is a road bike with some suspension action in the rear.

I always bleed like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post

i kinda got the attitude that i don't care what people may say (poser!) and such but actually deep down i am an insecure bastard so i am posting this to see if others feel the same way or have done something similar. cmon don't give me too much hell. i mean my road bike riding is not triathalon type. just cruising checking out the chicks...
    I find this whole part cute. You seem to think roadies will look down on you for this. Guess what, they are going to look down on you period.
    Roadies look down on me when I am not wearing full kit on the road. They look down on you for anything that is not exactly how they would do it or are doing it. I ride an aero road bike with bibs, jersey, road shoes and I still get the "look" because of something I am doing. Is it my full finger gloves or plain single color jersey or my less than arrogant expression? Who knows? You can't beat that level of crazy which is why people join them and you feel this way. Screw anyone who has a problem with what you ride. I ride my trail bike sometimes and just ride the curb to practice balance and control. I bite it sometimes, look like an idiot most of the time, don't care all of the time. Anyone who even cares what you ride is a DB unless they are just curious or interested in your hot ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I am a roadie who recently started riding mountain bikes. I never gave two hoots about what others wore while riding or what bike it was. I did criticize those who did not obey traffic laws and such. Some of you are way paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by davidrhorn View Post
    I found this thread when I googled "full suspension road bike." I am seriously thinking of putting one together due to arthritic knees. I am an avid MTBer and my knees feel really good when I am mountain biking, then when I get on the road bike my knees scream (especially when climbing). At first I thought it was gearing but I am running a triple up front and something like 28 in the rear. So then I deduced that it's the fact that my road bike has no give when I am pedaling. Yes, it would be inefficient but I don't care at all about my speed/time. Just want to road ride pain free.

I see many front suspension hybrids out there but haven't come across a full suspension road bike (can be a hybrid, doesn't matter to me, it's just for fun riding).

Any suggestions out there?
    Maybe you should get a proper fitting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Well put Poorbehavior! If you are that worried about what people think, sell your gear and get a new hobby. Just saying... I rock a full face helmet always. Say what you will.... My teeth will stay intact

Gotta pay to play
    Can you take a jeep on the roads? Yes. But it's more fun to drive a Porsche 911.
    Can you take a Porsche 911 off road? Ummm... yeah. But it's more fun to drive a jeep.

So I prefer to ride each bike on its respective terrain.

mtbr member
    Old thread, but maybe this will help:

What about something like this? Softail with a fatty headshock. You get a little bit of travel front and rear, plus the ride quality of Ti, and still very efficient.

full suspension bike for road?-2agq8hu.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    OP here! I can't believe this thread is still going. a little update. I have since got bit by the vintage mtb bug and finally found my dream 94' Trek 8700 and threw all my mtb parts on her along with a carbon exotic fork. It's a vintage mtb with mtb parts but with slicks and no suspension. I love it!

Back when I posted this others opinion didn't really bother me too much. Just ride! I have since posted my vintage mtb on here and retrobike and got some comments such as "its a waste it's not ridden on trails"...screw those elitist! Just like another poster commented about roadies who have all the gear including clothing. who cares? as long as you are riding, to each their own.

happy trails

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2