mtbr member

Fueling my Daughter's new passion.

A few weeks ago, my Daughter purchased a Cannondale F7 with her babysitting money. We rode to Benham Falls near Bend and she is hooked. We did the High Lakes Trail today and had a blast!

We made the 9.5 miles to my parents camp at Fish Lake and grabbed Papa's boat.

She caught some nice fish, including this BEAUTIFUL Brookie!

Good times, can't wait for the next one!

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

Hi There!
    Very cool! My daughter used to ride, even did some races and did well...hit 14 and the mall and movies with friends became more important. She managed the junior high track team and girl's softball team and took all honors classes with A's so I couldn't complain too much, but me and mom were secretly bummed because she has a talent for mountain biking. I would just go with the flow, if she wants to ride do it, if she doesn't, don't push it. Why make someone ride if they don't want to? Good luck, she looks like a cool kid.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    How great to have your daughter as a riding companion! Kids are the best and you are a great dad for taking her biking/camping/fishing.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Sadly, those days don't last forever. She may have found a lifelong passion, but the days she lives with you are likely numbered and they go by too fast. Cherish every ride. Looks to me like she enjoys her time with her dad.

My motto was that the two things that matter most on a ride are safety and fun, everything else merely consists of details and will sort itself out.

Thanks for sharing.

pin it
    What a sweet kid and she looks so content (btw , the scenery is gorgeous!) I think because she contributed to paying for her own bike, she might likely value her bike even more. I also believe that you made the riding experience memorable by mixed it up with other fun activities instead of turning it into an riding death march
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I didn't do it
    Totally cool that she bought a bike with her baby sitting money and not an iPad. It looks like you guys are making some great memories. Even if she drifts away from the bike when high school hits she just might come back to it once that phase blows over.

Thanks for posting this!

mtbr member
    Awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good times indeed! Those of you with kids that used to ride but found other interests, don't worry about that. Many times we find interest "once again" in our old hobbies after a few years of sabbatical. You never know, they may come back to riding when you least expect it.

mtbr member
    Thanks all. She was worn out but excited to go again.

Level 5 Rider!
    I'm fueling my two kids passion for bikes, but its not nearly as fun or exciting... my son just got his first two wheel bike and so has been riding around with a set of training wheels. Keeps asking if he can join me on my bike trips... lol. It's always awkward to answer that question.

As for my daughter.. she can't reach the pedals on a trike yet... and I couldn't find a helmet that fit her head anyways. lol.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    I'm fueling my two kids passion for bikes, but its not nearly as fun or exciting... my son just got his first two wheel bike and so has been riding around with a set of training wheels. Keeps asking if he can join me on my bike trips... lol. It's always awkward to answer that question.

As for my daughter.. she can't reach the pedals on a trike yet... and I couldn't find a helmet that fit her head anyways. lol.
    Its never to early to start! Sounds like they're ready to go as soon as they're big enough. That's a good sign.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Gordon View Post
    Good times indeed! Those of you with kids that used to ride but found other interests, don't worry about that. Many times we find interest "once again" in our old hobbies after a few years of sabbatical. You never know, they may come back to riding when you least expect it.
    Yep, that's why I let it go. My wife is always wanting me to ask daughter to go, and I say to my daughter "I'm going riding, if you want to go you're welcome to join in" and if she doesn't I say "Okay cool, see you later, love you kid".
    NTFTC

Yappy little dog!
    Very cool and looks like a great place to ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidus View Post
    so, just the right age for a Strider! These are generically called balance bikes. Lots of tykes around here get their start on a Strider bike.

A lot of them show up when we have the Kids Kup for little guys at our bike races.

Level 5 Rider!
    Yeah I like the idea but the price is fairly steep for my budget. I mean it cost half of what my bike costs. lol. Totally cool idea though. Maybe I can get the chinese to make a carbon version for half the cost.

*edit* noticed that there are more options these days including DIY versions... so maybe I will find something for him and her. Seems like a much better option.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

It's about showing up.
    You are creating the perfect woman. She mountain bikes and fishes!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member

Re: Fueling my Daughter's new passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    You are creating the perfect woman. She mountain bikes and fishes!
    The girl is a hunting fool as well :-)

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    LOL - both my daughters (now 16 amd 21) got into and loved mountain biking ... until they discovered boys ... that was the end of biking.

At least they both got a taste of why dad loves it so much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good for her! Not just for finding something she loves to do, but also...Its very rare these days that you see kids actually work for what they want. Even back when I was growing up, high dollar items such as this were purchased by the parental units. Then again, my babysitting money rarely amounted to more than a trip to the movies and a nailpolish or two. Again, good for her, and also good for you! I see some fantastic parenting going on here!

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    LOL - both my daughters (now 16 amd 21) got into and loved mountain biking ... until they discovered boys ... that was the end of biking.

At least they both got a taste of why dad loves it so much.
    Just wait. One dat their boy buds will ask them to go mountain biking and the boys won't know what hit them. Thanks, dad.
    I don't rattle.