Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

FS has softened up my friend

I've got a friend who has always ridden FS. Always. Its taken its toll. He has gotten terribly lazy. He lands front wheel first on every drop because he's got 5 inches of travel to eat it up. He is stiff in the air and on landings. Of course, it doesn't hurt him to be because his suspension eats up all the impact. The issue is that I don't really have the right to complain, as he keeps up just fine and is usually faster on a non-technical descent. He also thinks that he's really good, when its really just the suspension doing pretty much all of the work.

The question is, what do I do? Do I do anything? Does anyone else have friends like this?

note that the friend in question would not recognize this thread as discussing him.

EDR

Re: FS has softened up my friend

JHC....just ride your bike. That's what I would do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    JHC....just ride your bike. That's what I would do.
    Right, I would, but he's teaching my other freinds who are beginners those habits, and they ride hardtails no less. That's the real problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

FS has softened up my friend

I wouldn't confront him or anything but you could always nicely correct him, I.e. If he's giving pointers while everyone is on the trail you could add something like "well doing that the way Joe Schmo is telling you may work better for a fs bike but since you are riding a hard tail so you may also want to try this technique" if you ever get your other friends alone and they say anything then you could tell them that you aren't that impressed with his lackadaisical mountain biking .

mtbr member
    Sounds like he's good with it, why let it bother you?

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bixby View Post
    " ... since you are riding a hard tail so you may also want to try this technique"
    As your bike is more similar to the one the beginners are riding, you can easily point out that the type of bike can make a difference in what tends to work best - or in general add what YOU have found to work on a bike with less suspension.

Depending on the spot, landing front wheel slightly earlier isn't necessarily wrong.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Cannondale Snob
    Ask him to switch bikes one day. Tell him you're thinking about going FS and want to give his a try.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything View Post
    Ask him to switch bikes one day. Tell him you're thinking about going FS and want to give his a try.
    Then the thread starters bike ends up broken.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    As long as he's not getting hurt or endangering others, leave him be. Friendly advice to the newbies on the side could be helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrecker of tires View Post
    The issue is that I don't really have the right to complain, as he keeps up just fine and is usually faster on a non-technical descent.

Answered your own question.

mtbr member
    Why can't you teach your other friends?
    Also, if your friends have hardtails, they will find out very soon that they are learning poor technique

mtbr member
    I'm sure there are riders that could harshly critique your technique. If you enjoy their company let it go. Nobody wants to ride with what they perceive is a know-it-all even though your intentions are good.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RiskEverything View Post
    This is exactly the kind of idea I was looking for thanks! It would probably help him and if he agreed I would got to ride his $3k bike.

psycho cyclo addict

Ride whatever floats yer boat.. who cares what others ride

One of my riding cronies got smoked by a guy on a very OLD bike, sportin a kickstand not long ago (and it wound him up to the maxxx, much to my amusement). I've seen people riding dual crown bikes on beginner trails and said nuttin other than hello and watched an occasional hybrid rider bite it hard on technical trails. I'm not the fashion or ride selection police and like it that way

pin it
    I think your friend may have poor technique... but that's him not necessary the bike.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    That's why people buy those fancy bikes isn't it? To allow them to do stuff they couldn't do otherwise?

If I had a choice of being able to do a drop on an AM bike with crappy form, or to walk around it with a hardtail, I'd choose to do it with crappy form.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Put him on a HT and see how he does.

He may himself realize that he is getting lazy and want to "fix" it himself. Or he rides your bike, wants his back and he carries on with his life.

Doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    That's why people buy those fancy bikes isn't it? To allow them to do stuff they couldn't do otherwise?

If I had a choice of being able to do a drop on an AM bike with crappy form, or to walk around it with a hardtail, I'd choose to do it with crappy form.
    I ride a hardtail and theres nothing that he does that I cant do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    Put him on a HT and see how he does.

He may himself realize that he is getting lazy and want to "fix" it himself. Or he rides your bike, wants his back and he carries on with his life.

Doesn't matter.
    I think that you have found the perfect solution. I know that he wants to be progressive, and I really think that he just is unaware that he's being lazy and that his lazyness is getting in his own way. It doesn't affect me as long as he can keep up, I just want to be helpful.

If riding a hardail doesn't help him, I'll let sleeping dogs lie.

local trails rider
    ... maybe he'll just "realise" that you have an inferior bike that does not respond correctly to his riding technique?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    ... maybe he'll just "realise" that you have an inferior bike that does not respond correctly to his riding technique?
    Yeah. I know guys like this and I'm willing to bet that is the response unfortunately.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A lot of people don't take advice very well if it's not asked for. The best thing to do IMO is set a good example for your newbie friends and let your buddy with the expensive bike ride the way he does until he seeks out some improvement (if that day comes).

I have been riding a long time and I was recently compelled to buy Brian Lopes book on basic skills to see what it had to say and help a newbie buddy of mine (I didn't actually do it, but I still want to). Maybe pick up a copy and let all your riding buddies look it over.

mtbr member
    For a birthday present sign him up for a skills camp or something. Otherwise spend a little less time critiquing, concentrate upon your own skills and just ride.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

mtbr member
    It sounds like jealosy on the part of the OP. Who cares how his form is? I'm sure he's like everyone else; trying to do his best and get better if possible.

I ride a hardtail and theres nothing that he does that I cant do.
    So in other words, you are better than him, but his FS bike is "cheating", so you can't show him how much better you are?

I hope that when I'm riding, or skiing, or anything else with my friends, they don't have such snide thoughts about me.

On the other hand, I often have my friends who are better than me giving me pointers, which I welcome. Its a great advantage to have a friend like that.

So, what's the big deal about talking about technique with a friend, and why instead are you posting about his bad form on the internet instead?

mtbr member
    I've got a friend who has always ridden FS. Always. Its taken its toll. He has gotten terribly lazy. He lands front wheel first on every drop because he's got 5 inches of travel to eat it up. He is stiff in the air and on landings. Of course, it doesn't hurt him to be because his suspension eats up all the impact. The issue is that I don't really have the right to complain, as he keeps up just fine and is usually faster on a non-technical descent. He also thinks that he's really good, when its really just the suspension doing pretty much all of the work.

The question is, what do I do? Do I do anything? Does anyone else have friends like this?

note that the friend in question would not recognize this thread as discussing him.
    I think you should tell him flat out. Don't pull any punches.

Then he'll see just what kind of "friend" you really are and will hopefully correct his mistake.

Does anyone else have friends like this?
    Lots... but none like you.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast