Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    asleep by 10:00pm
    Jun 2004

Fruita Fat Tire...a photographic essay of sorts..

The Fruita Fat Tire Fest means a variety of things to the different folks who participate (or atleast come to hang out), be it drunken debauchery or waking up early and setting the heart rate monitor to 'go'. For myself, working at the shop during this time, it means a somewhat busy schedule of work related activities, and not as much of a chance to participate in the festival sponsored and or gathered group rides as I would normally do given the resources. So, with friends taking over my couches and very kindly saving the energy to do a few late afternoon, after work rides, here's a different view of the fest, my sort of non-fest festival angle. An angle viewed from very small group rides, solo rides, or the dynamic duos.

here's the pics....
    1. For those of you who may have read several of my previous posts, this series of shots will look familiar. it's an angle that i have been working on and this was my first chance to shoot with the sun as a backdrop. i was also exploring the use of some different filters. all the shots are of the lovely Freshie-freshness who patiently pedalled back and forth around that same corner without complaint.

more to follow
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jun 2004

more pics

So the above pics were from one of those quick afterwork sort of jaunts..
    pic 1 is that same late afternoon ride, coming around rustler's loop

next day- a small group effort up to the Bookcliffs for a quick prime cut/joe's/kessell combo. one of my favorite personal hotlaps.
    pic2: springtime flowers on kessell
    pic3: more kessell
    pic4: the very small wall ride that does not too impressive from that angle
    pic5: wall ride from a different perspective

more

Jun 2004

and finally

and finally, an early morning somewhat hung-over holy cross ride with the ladies and one guy.

pic1: the group...minus a few
    pic2: Leanna coming down the Holy cross
    pic 3: Mynette doing the same thing
    Pic 4: Elke riding the line under the tree
    Pic 5: Elke riding the rock slab like a champ.

That's it!

beer thief
    Let me be the first to say...these photos kick ass.

I need to book a flight for the fall, because all this festival stuff is killing me.

mtbr member
    Great photos, I really love the 2 B&W. Keep them coming!!!

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Very Nice Stuff!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i'd have to agree those are indeed Kickass shots, and I really like the B/W ones!
    the last shot of first set is awesome!

wannabee
    NICE stuff. VERY well done!

mtbr member

Good job! The pictures are getting me excited for our planned.....

trip out to Fruita the first week in September! Thanks for posting them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    These are incredible shots, i hope you don't mind, i did a little work to them.
    Thanx for sharing, keep em comin.

.~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Bravo! Rises from chair to give standing ovation. Thanks Annie.

mtbr member

Wonderful!

Really great shots, I particularly like the last b/w image.

Great to meet you Annie, we English types felt very welcome in Fruita (particularly in OTE) and had a truly memorable trip - I'm still buzzing on it now :^)
    'The Fear' is your friend...

Occidental Tourist
    Very nice
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum

These are my two favorites as well. The second one looks "classic BIKE" magazine to me, they use a lot of b&W with hues in their print.

Excellent stuff, the fishy really gives a different feel to the trail.

Is it play time yet?

Good job!

Dizam! Thanks for sharing.

-Erik

Jun 2004
    [QUOTE=Skookum]These are incredible shots, i hope you don't mind, i did a little work to them.
    Thanx for sharing, keep em comin.

No..no worries....oddly enough they appear brighter on my monitor, of course the image is much larger, and is also the original high bit image and not the sized down jpegs favorable for the web..nice touches though.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    These are my two favorites as well. The second one looks "classic BIKE" magazine to me, they use a lot of b&W with hues in their print.

Excellent stuff, the fishy really gives a different feel to the trail.

yeah those two are also my favs....actually, my long term fantasy/goal has been to get a shot printed in the buzz section of bike....although i'd gladly take the cover too
    however, i had heard this vicious rumor that they do not accept digital images, only film. i recently asked a friend with connections to the prominent higher-ups why this is only to be told that their view is- quote- "learn to shoot with f***ing film".....

damn those crusty old curmudgeons...damn them!

Jun 2004

okay one more...

i suppose i should add my favorite festival activity shot, so here goes:

the lovely and talented Elke "tracksuit" Brutsaert, and Lisa "Rollergirl" Lieb

enjoy

mtbr member

these pics kick arse!

hi anne!
    raymond here. it was good to meet you and the fruita family. these pics rock! i like the experimentation of color and b/w. keep 'em coming. photography with a creative eye is always refreshing. you find angles that are new and raw and spontaneous. less action, more of the entire image. love the pictures through the brush and flowers. i also love the one of jen through the sun... wow, can't wait to see more work in the future.

regards to everyone,
    raymond

Quote Originally Posted by grannyannie
    The Fruita Fat Tire Fest means a variety of things to the different folks who participate (or atleast come to hang out), be it drunken debauchery or waking up early and setting the heart rate monitor to 'go'. For myself, working at the shop during this time, it means a somewhat busy schedule of work related activities, and not as much of a chance to participate in the festival sponsored and or gathered group rides as I would normally do given the resources. So, with friends taking over my couches and very kindly saving the energy to do a few late afternoon, after work rides, here's a different view of the fest, my sort of non-fest festival angle. An angle viewed from very small group rides, solo rides, or the dynamic duos.

here's the pics....
    1. For those of you who may have read several of my previous posts, this series of shots will look familiar. it's an angle that i have been working on and this was my first chance to shoot with the sun as a backdrop. i was also exploring the use of some different filters. all the shots are of the lovely Freshie-freshness who patiently pedalled back and forth around that same corner without complaint.

more to follow

Fartographer

Sooooo Good!

Annie-
    Did we meet? I don't recall. These photos are awesome. They really show what being intimate with a trail can do for photos. When you get to know and have feelings for every little bit of a trail, and you're willing to work for the shot, you can create masterpieces. That last photo just completely kicks my ass. I'd love to see it with just a little flash. But I don't know if you could get it to all come together that good a second time.

Your photos really make me want to go back and do some serious shooting. Our trip was more about riding. Getting the guys to cooperate for controlled photos was too difficult.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano
    Really great shots, I particularly like the last b/w image.

Great to meet you Annie, we English types felt very welcome in Fruita (particularly in OTE) and had a truly memorable trip - I'm still buzzing on it now :^)

Nice! you English types are always welcome in OTE! glad you guys had a great trip!

Cheers

Jun 2004

Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by elsaltamontes
    hi anne!
    raymond here. it was good to meet you and the fruita family. these pics rock! i like the experimentation of color and b/w. keep 'em coming. photography with a creative eye is always refreshing. you find angles that are new and raw and spontaneous. less action, more of the entire image. love the pictures through the brush and flowers. i also love the one of jen through the sun... wow, can't wait to see more work in the future.

regards to everyone,
    raymond
    Great to meet you Raymond! Thanks much! i wish i would have had more of a chance to chat with you, you do some great work, and like any newbie i am overflowing with questions.....
    yeah anyway, glad you guys could make it out for the fest.

cheers

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Annie-
    Did we meet? I don't recall. These photos are awesome. They really show what being intimate with a trail can do for photos. When you get to know and have feelings for every little bit of a trail, and you're willing to work for the shot, you can create masterpieces. That last photo just completely kicks my ass. I'd love to see it with just a little flash. But I don't know if you could get it to all come together that good a second time.

Your photos really make me want to go back and do some serious shooting. Our trip was more about riding. Getting the guys to cooperate for controlled photos was too difficult.
    Hey Photo-John,
    ya know i do remember you hanging around in the shop a few times, but i don't believe i ever formally met you. thanks though on the props, i am really having fun with the camera. i see what you mean about a little flash on the elke/lisa shot. i'm still really a beginner shooter and all the technical stuff eludes me sometimes, flash, camera settings, all that good stuff....
    Come on out and have photo session out here!

BuzzWorthy!

Quote Originally Posted by grannyannie
    my long term fantasy/goal has been to get a shot printed in the buzz section of bike....although i'd gladly take the cover too !
    Here you go annie, a year ago i had done an art template for a fake bikemag cover for a friends birthday...so i took one of your pix and changed the headings...So heres your work on the cover! keep workin' that goal! keep the pix comin'! great work!

on the cover of the rollin' stone

Diggin' the allman bros look PJ

did you right too! got you on the cover.

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by brado1
    Diggin' the allman bros look PJ

did you right too! got you on the cover.
    Haahhhahaahah.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast