swag ho Administrator

Fort ord race report and hac 4+ demo.

I raced yesterday at the CCCX Race #5 at Fort Ord in Monterey. I did the singlespeed race that goes for 5 laps (25+ miles), 1900 feet of climbing. I also tried out a new bike computer, the HAC 4 plus by Ciclosport.

CCCX - http://www.cccx.org/mtb/2004/index2.htm
    HAC 4 - http://www.ciclosportusa.com/hac4.htm

The Bad:
    --------------
    I've had the Hac 4 plus for a week and have ridden with it twice and have read the manual every nite. No success. Friggin manual! This thing is the hardest piece to get working properly!

I get to the race and start getting dressed and no gloves. But wait there's more... no bike shorts. Being a boxer shorts kind of guy, this was not a good thing. Oh well, fly now pay later. Boxer shorts and Khaki shorts it is. No gloves but i'm able to borrow a pair later.

The race:
    --------------
    Each lap is 5+ miles with 350 feet of gradual climbs. Fairly easy course with deep sand pits and poison oak all around. My singlespeed group has 11 riders, 2 cyclocross SS bikes. In the graph below, you'll see the 5 laps in the yellow altitude chart. The line on top is my heart rate. My max heart rate is 195 but I rarely hit 180 on normal rides.

The race starts and the pace is hard. There's a train of 3 guys in front and 3 right behind me. My heart rate is at 180 and there's no letting up. Even on the downhill, I have to pedal like mad just to keep speed. On the lap 2 extended climb, my heart hits 190 and stays there. It's at this point that I want to quit... the most painful part of the race and I'm far from halfway.

I let 3 guys drop me as I settle down to a more bearable pace. The race gets better as my body adjusts to the beating. On lap 4, I catch up to a rider... Mr. UC Irvine. He quickly lets me pass and starts drafting me. I try and drop him but he keeps up. Wait a minute, I remember this guy from Sea Otter. He drafted me the whole grind home and sprinted at the top to the finish. I let him draft me for a lap until we hit another rider. Mr. rigid fork. At the end of lap 4, I let UC Irvine pass as I eat my supergel, and he just wheelsucks Rigid Fork.

We're both just drafting Rigid fork when we hit a windy paved section. Rigid Fork gets annoyed and slows to half speed and UC Irvine doesn't take the lead... lazy ass. So we just start chit-chatting. "What is this? A road race? HA-HA-HA". As the three of us play mind games to see who's going to sprint first.

With 2 miles to go, as the pavement enters the dirt. Both of them fumble a little bit, I get a clean line and pin it! Spin!!!!!!!!!!! It's the last lap and I actually have energy. I keep it up and I finish 1 minute ahead of UC Irvine a couple of minutes ahead of Rigid Fork.

6th out of 11, 1 hour 57. No cramps, no poison oak, and no damage from the boxer shorts. I had a great time hanging with Aussie Bob, the french boys from Los Gatos and Kenny Cleveland.

francois
    Attached Images Attached Images

PITY THE FOOL!
    Sweet! Nice race report. I'd have had serious thoughts about racing in boxers and khakis for 2 hours.

Good job beating the wheel sucker.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

The Riddler

i have been considering the hac4+, is it worth it??

nmnmnm

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    i have been considering the hac4+, is it worth it??
    At $430.... NO. It's just not a polished product ready for the US market.

There's a good review by Jay here http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Computer...ct_20739.shtml talking about it's weaknesses.

It's no good as a watch and not great very good as a bike computer. The speed has no decimal points. The altitude is in hundreds of feet and it's not very easy to reset things at the start of the ride.

The best thing about it is the software for checking data at the end of the ride.

I also have the ciclo 434 which has altitude. This one is a sweet bike computer.

francois

Jed Peters
    We sold suzy's 720i for a Hac 4+. I think you have to be a brain surgeon to use the Ciclosport computer effectively. Hell, you're a computer programmer and can't even use one.

Old Guy that rides

more Fort Ord stuff

I saw you out there Francois, you were looking pretty stong considering the Khaki chaffing going on. I got a couple shots of you at the start. This was a great series and I want to thank Keith and the CCCX crew for putting on a great race. Also thanks to Veltec, Specialized, Clif, and Bell/Giro for the awesome schwag for the series points winners.

The Clydesdale crew!!! These guys are awesome to race with.

TWW Expert warrior Isaias

The top 5 Sport women...what a beautiful sight!! Way to go Jenny!

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Using the HAC 4

It's a piece of cake once you get through the learning curve and get the thing set up. For me the biggest obstacle was getting it to download properly.

(1) set all your personal data, inclucing home elevation.
    (2) make sure to tell it to record at the start of the ride (takes all of 3 seconds)
    (3) turn it off after the ride so it doesn't record 24 hours of data.
    (4) download it and play with the data in their software, or export it to excel and play with it there (my preference).
    (5) Occasionally clear all your rides so you don't go through batteries too fast.

The power function works pretty good on steady climbs and should be ignored on flats and descents. It's really fun having route profiles to look at after a big ride. The temp isn't that accurate and the elevation varies a little (i've started rides at 200 ft and ended in the same spot with a 150 ft reading), but it uses atmospheric pressure so that's to be expected.

I dunno, it just doesn't seem that difficult.

i worship Mr T

nice job francis!

very cool graph.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

ballbuster

dang...

... you got metrics for everything! You're worse than I am.

right on Francois. Kicking booty, even when freeballing!

mtbr member

Way to go Francis!!

I've been using the Polar 710 for almost 2 years now and really like all the information. It took me a looooong time to figure out how to use it.

beer thief
    Great report Francis. Very fitting that you kicked UC Irvine's ass at the end.