mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Former Amazon CFO killed in biking accident

mtbr member
    Gotta love the comment section to these articles.
    That sucks
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Man...someone that valuable to society lost to a series of unfortunate events. No telling who was at fault, sometimes an accident is just an accident.

It's crazy how the comments section of any "controversial" subject gets flooded with morons arguing their over-emotional agendas.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SATalon View Post
    Man...someone that valuable to society lost to a series of unfortunate events. No telling who was at fault, sometimes an accident is just an accident.

It's crazy how the comments section of any "controversial" subject gets flooded with morons arguing their over-emotional agendas.
    It doesn't help when you add erroneous comments like "more valuable to society". So if a poor person riding a Walmart bike to his job at McDonalds is run over, we shouldn't care? People are people, and if anything, CFOs are detrimental to society.

Also, turning left in front of someone is usually the fault of the person who made the left turn. So saying "no telling who was at fault" is pretty dumb. She may have been traveling too fast, but I really doubt it.

It is a sad occurrence, but you are adding to the BS just as much as the other commentators you complain about.

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    From what I read here, it looks like the white van turned in front of her and she slammed into it broadside. Unfortunate event, to be sure, but not an "accident".

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    It doesn't help when you add erroneous comments like "more valuable to society". So if a poor person riding a Walmart bike to his job at McDonalds is run over, we shouldn't care? People are people, and if anything, CFOs are detrimental to society.

Also, turning left in front of someone is usually the fault of the person who made the left turn. So saying "no telling who was at fault" is pretty dumb. She may have been traveling too fast, but I really doubt it.

It is a sad occurrence, but you are adding to the BS just as much as the other commentators you complain about.

No really. I'm giving an opinion, and you're reading FAR too much into it. I say that someone is valuable to society--and you assume I don't value all life. Way to jump to false conclusions smart guy.

And considering you and I weren't there and the media rarely gets it facts correct--my saying something to the effect of "we really won't know exactly what happened" is a pretty spot-on statement and even more so when you yourself considered there could be at least a contributory negligence on the rider's fault. Whether you "doubt it" or not.

Not to mention that the term accident is still accurate when you consider that the driver (assuming he's not a sociopath) didn't turn in front of her on purpose. So when I say sometimes accidents are just accidents, it happened because the driver likely didn't see her...not that he didn't care about her being there. Hence...it's an accident.

So instead of arguing on the internet...why not recognize that a extremely intelligent individual has passed in a tragic way and leave it at that. Stop finding reasons to argue.

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    Not to mention that the term accident is still accurate when you consider that the driver (assuming he's not a sociopath) didn't turn in front of her on purpose. So when I say sometimes accidents are just accidents, it happened because the driver likely didn't see her...not that he didn't care about her being there. Hence...it's an accident.
    Maybe you can call it an accident in some bizarro world where people aren't held accountable for their carelessness that injures or kills people. Thankfully, that's not the case here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    Maybe you can call it an accident in some bizarro world where people aren't held accountable for their carelessness that injures or kills people. Thankfully, that's not the case here.

Is there some other info out there that shows that she wasn't at fault?

And if you think people are held accountable for this stuff, start reading a motorcycling accident forum. It might change your mind.

No Stranger to danger....

Anybody who dies is unfortunate and its a sad thing, but can you explain to me how she is ''that valuable to society''?
    She wasnt a humanitarian, she wasnt saving lives of living her life for charity etc, she helped get Amazon up and running and in doing so made herself very rich, shes no more valuable than anybody.
    Blessings to her family and friends, ANY loss of human life is always sad, and blessings to the guy in the van she ran into, he has to live with it too even thought it probably wasnt his fault.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by john.b View Post
    What's bizarre is that you don't know the definition of the word "accident". Being held accountable because of negligence (committing a tort) is a separate subject than the occurrence of an accident itself. An accident can occur because of negligence, or it can occur merely by chance. But an accident is an accident is an accident. Being held accountable post accident does nothing to change the definition.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    competitive person riding a strava segment plows into vehicle

dvo
    mtbr member
    You are a dick.
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    competitive person riding a strava segment plows into vehicle

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Anybody who dies is unfortunate and its a sad thing, but can you explain to me how she is ''that valuable to society''?
    Sure. She accomplished more than most people have in her life, the primary of which DID affect the majority of society. Unless you don't use Amazon.com. While I agree with you on her "life" being the same as another person's "life"--I'm not one of those people who believes that "all men are created equal" in terms of potential and ability (e.g. 173 > 98 the average U.S. IQ).

She wasnt a humanitarian, she wasnt saving lives of living her life for charity etc, she helped get Amazon up and running and in doing so made herself very rich, shes no more valuable than anybody.
    She also wasn't someone you knew personally I'd imagine. Nor did I. But that's not what I was referring to because I don't act so smug as to assume I do know that. Though I'm willing to bet she probably was a very nice person, who did care greatly for her family, friends, and associates--because MOST people are that way.

Blessings to her family and friends, ANY loss of human life is always sad, and blessings to the guy in the van she ran into, he has to live with it too even thought it probably wasnt his fault.
    Agreed.