Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Florida Passion... for Building Trails

584 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Redriderpro 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Good article

I made it over to Alafia about two weeks ago and rode every trail out there. There are some really impressive trails, and very well maintained. I definately would rank Alafia among the best in FL. I was surprised that there was no mention of the TOE and the Ridge Riders, those guys haven't been around for as long but they have a deal with a landowner and pay the insurance with club fees.

By the way, where is Boyette? I've never heard of it, but I assume it's in the tampa area?

#3 ·
FloridaFish said:
I made it over to Alafia about two weeks ago and rode every trail out there. There are some really impressive trails, and very well maintained. I definately would rank Alafia among the best in FL. I was surprised that there was no mention of the TOE and the Ridge Riders, those guys haven't been around for as long but they have a deal with a landowner and pay the insurance with club fees.

By the way, where is Boyette? I've never heard of it, but I assume it's in the tampa area?
Really close to Alafia. You keep going south on 39 a little bit and then head west a few miles. Probably a 10 minute trip.

#5 ·
I rode Alafia the Thanksgiving before last when visiting my in-laws in Wimauma. I grew up in Orlando, raced mountain bikes at the Central Florida fairgrounds back in the day, and now live in NYC. Not sure how Alafia justifies the "It's more technical than a lot of people are used to in the mountains" comment. Every place I ride in New York and New Jersey is significantly more difficult than Alafia. Don't get me wrong- Alafia is definitely fun for Florida, and relatively speaking its trails are more difficult than the average Florida trails. But it's not in the same league as truly "technical" trails. Saying it is might make Floridians feel better about their own riding, but it's just not true. Please tell me there's some secret trail in there peppered with 6 foot drops and ladder bridges that I just didn't see.

Having said that, I liked riding Alafia, and will definitely ride there again when I'm in the neighborhood. It's got its own, unique strengths, independent of the comparisons to mountain trails. It's a fun, sandy roller-coaster ride with some steep bits that will scare flatlanders and give you a good power-workout. The facilities are great and the relationship between the club and the park service is enviable. Good stuff.

#6 ·
For jbogner..

Glad you liked the trails.

With regards to your comments :
"It's more technical than a lot of people are used to in the mountains" comment. Every place I ride in New York and New Jersey is significantly more difficult than Alafia. Don't get me wrong- Alafia is definitely fun for Florida, and relatively speaking its trails are more difficult than the average Florida trails. But it's not in the same league as truly "technical" trails. Saying it is might make Floridians feel better about their own riding, but it's just not true. Please tell me there's some secret trail in there peppered with 6 foot drops and ladder bridges that I just didn't see."

We don't build trails on state lands with big drops, ladder bridges or any manmade stunts.
Lawsuites are real possibilities for the state and people who build those kinds of trails.
Florida does have some of those type of trails, but not built by the SWAMP club.

check the link below, you'll find some pics and video from a number of Florida locations that might thrill you a little more then Alafia.. or meet the "technical" qualifications you mentioned.
http://www.freeridesouth.com/

The comment about those trails compared to mountains, we do a lot of trips to Ga, NC and other places. Usually those trails have much longer climbs, downhills but the are not as steep as some of the Alafia trails. Plus as you know, usually in Florida if you ain't pedling you ain't moving, so I guess easier trails can be harder if you're breathing hard enough.

BTY, we added a number of trails miles since you were last there.
Check the link below of one of the more fun( difficult?) ones that you may have not ridden yet.

http://homepage.mac.com/weseubank/PhotoAlbum8.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.