Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fling Friday Shuttles - please RSVP

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 · (Edited)
Papa John and myself are leading/sweeping/nursing shuttles for the fling this year. We need to know head count so we can coordinate transportation. So far I know the following people have expressed an interest:

Me
Papa John
Monk
JM (James Howery)
James Mitchell
MFC
Evil Con Fecal
MtdBike

Who else?

Caveats:

Bike - These trails can be ridden on a hardtail or short travel xc bike, but you'd probably have more fun on the goat camp or mormon/national rides. These trails are tough on bikes and rider. I know there are exceptions, this is just a recomendation, but a DH or freeride rig is what you want for this kinda thing.

Gear - Full face, armor highly recommended. I mean if you show up without this stuff you better be Hans Rey or Eric Carter or whoever, because we don't wanna haul your carcass off the mountain. Rocks and cacti hurt. Dress for the crash.

Attitude - leave it at home. We don't wanna upset any of the local fauna (aka hikers). That means rational speed, slowing down around corners, yeilding the right of way, etc.

See less See more
#6 ·
butocabra said:
Attitude - leave it at home. We don't wanna upset any of the local fauna (aka hikers). That means rational speed, slowing down around corners, yeilding the right of way, etc.
maybe you are using them, but bells are so great. We use them out in California. Hikers love it because they can here you coming from far away.

#7 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
maybe you are using them, but bells are so great. We use them out in California. Hikers love it because they can here you coming from far away.
Not a bad idea, I've heard how that helped save Tunnel trail. Friday shouldn't be bad, as it's a work day and we'll be on 'unpopular' trails. What kinda bells do you recommend? sleigh bells? bar mount ones which the rider uses? I guess a 115 db siren from radio shack is probably not good hiker ettiquite?

#11 · (Edited)
Trailer reserved, add another rider.

mtdbike said:
Sorry, scratch my name off the list. No Fling for me this year due to a knee injury caused by a nasty OTB accident last weekend.
ouch, get better,

Reserved a U-haul 6x12 open trailer, and a mr. Steve Timm will be joining us as well.
I've got a Tahoe to haul the trailer, some folks may end up riding in the trailer, or we may need a passenger shuttle as well as a bike hauler. There's enough folks coming that we should be able to all get in plenty of runs.

#12 ·
Ill also be at SoMo friday so count me in, im leaving tommorow and camping outside phoenix tommorow night so if anyone needs to holler my numbers 707-287-6357 or if you dont see me at so mo maybe someone could call if i got lost but i think i got a pretty good map.

I ride a xl superlight grey frame with a yellow manitou fork and i drive a black accord (with the obvious CA plates)

#13 ·
Melt said:
Ill also be at SoMo friday so count me in, im leaving tommorow and camping outside phoenix tommorow night so if anyone needs to holler my numbers 707-287-6357 or if you dont see me at so mo maybe someone could call if i got lost but i think i got a pretty good map.

I ride a xl superlight grey frame with a yellow manitou fork and i drive a black accord (with the obvious CA plates)
bring the bells guys and have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.