Binned
    Nov 2008

Flat Tire: How Many Have You Had So Far This Year???

I just got my first one today (OF THE YEAR!). I rode through some broken car glass and wasn't too worried about it since it was tempored glass. But... as I started my climb, I felt my front end become balloony. Sure enough, there was a pointy piece buried in my tire. I pulled it out and heard the hiss.

Pulled off the trail, realized that I didn't have a tire lever with me. No problem. I'm not sure that those things are even necessary. Pulled the tube out, located the leak, patched it, remounted the tube, then the tire, then fast filled it with CO2. Back on the trail...

In case you are wondering why I have not gone "tubeless", it's because I only get one or two flats a year. I'm lucky...and I'm "old school"...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I just got my first one today (OF THE YEAR!). I rode through some broken car glass and wasn't too worried about it since it was tempored glass. But... as I started my climb, I felt my front end become balloony. Sure enough, there was a pointy piece buried in my tire. I pulled it out and heard the hiss.

Pulled off the trail, realized that I didn't have a tire lever with me. No problem. I'm not sure that those things are even necessary. Pulled the tube out, located the leak, patched it, remounted the tube, then the tire, then fast filled it with CO2. Back on the trail...

In case you are wondering why I have not gone "tubeless", it's because I only get one or two flats a year. I'm lucky...and I'm "old school"...
    Has been a flat heavy year for me.

Three so far. The first about a month ago. Then two on one ride a few weeks back, on a trail I have never flatted on in 20 years of riding it.

An I only count tires that deflate during a ride as a flat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Has been a flat heavy year for me.

Three so far. The first about a month ago. Then two on one ride a few weeks back, on a trail I have never flatted on in 20 years of riding it.

An I only count tires that deflate during a ride as a flat.
    Same scenario here...Three in a fairly short period of time recently. Seriously considering converting to tubeless with my downtime this winter.

mtbr member
    When I got back in to riding about three years ago. I had four flats in the first month, all from goat head thorns. There's a whole bunch where I live. On one twenty mile ride, my front tire went flat. I used the only spare tube I had at the time. Then about 45 minutes later, I decided to take a breather. And saw two thorns on the rear tire. I foolishly pulled them out, and the tire went flat in minutes. The tire probably would have lasted longer if I would have left the thorns in.

So long story short...It was a long walk back. And after that I converted to tubeless with Stans sealant and have never looked back. In my case, tubes were too much a hassle and flats too often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    3 so far , all within the past 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For those frustrated with flats, take a look at the "Best Tubeless Brew" Thread right here on the 29'r forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/be...-new-post.html

Lots of good info and it worked for me... 2 pinch flats in one ride with tires at 35 psi convinced me. Now I ride at 25 front and 28 on the back with no issues!

S
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    ZERO! (knock on wood) I haven't had a flat in about 16 months, pretty lucky i guess. I run tubes, around 30psi, and no troubles. I think the spare tube in my saddle bag might start rotting soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    None at all in two years. I'm Tubeless.

(of course that now means that I'll flat tomorrow!)

mtbr member
    4 or 5. Slit sidewall, burps, and a torn off lug.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    None on the the mt bike(tubeless) too many on the road ,three on one ride.

mtbr member
    In three years tubeless no complete flats (knock, knock), one small slow leak on the trail once because I let the stans dry out for after 10 months, thought about putting a tube in to finish the ride, but was still able to make the whole ride using my hand pump occasionally.

Before tubeless I would flat 2-3 times per month with all the thorns around here. Now,when it's time to change my tires I cannot even count all the thorns I see on the inside casing with small spots of dried stans that plugged them all up. Oddly enough I'm that guy now that always has spare tubes... it seems like at least every weekend or so I'm giving out one of my spares to a stranded tubed rider, I used to be on the receiving end of that so I try to help out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    One pinchy so far for me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    One... picked up a roofing nail riding out of my cul-de-sac on the way to the TH. When I pulled it out, the hole was so big that no amount of sealant was going to plug it up...

mtbr member
    When I bought my latest bike a year ago, I had two flats in the first month from the usual thorns and stuff where I ride. Went tubeless, like my old bike, and haven't had one since. Have pulled many thorns and even had a quarter inch slit that sealed up. I know it's a personal thing, but I'll never change from tubeless on my rides.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

High Desert MTBer
    None at all since going tubeless a year ago. Before that, many from cactus and sharp rocks, and a pinch flat all too often...

I'm just messing with you
    One on the trail and I'm still running tubes. The PITA about that one was that I'd stopped for a break, got back on the bike, and the tire was flat. All that time spent standing around was at least doubled by the time I changed the tube and got rolling again.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It has a been a terrible year with all the snow we had left in early spring forcing me to ride at lower elevations where the stickers are located. I would probably say 12 - 24 flats this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've fixed many on the road. This year 3 on the trail/ 2 this week. Usually they go flat overnight, which amount to many.
    There would no way I could change a tire on a Flow rim w/out tools. The fat front, maybe.

mtbr member
    More than I care to remember.

It's so hot and dry in Texas. There is not enough Stan's in the world to keep me from flatting, it seems. I am beginning to carry it in my pack.

banned
    None. I run tubless (UST tire, standard rim, Slime for tubeless tires). There are probably 2-3 mesquite thorns in each of my tires right now. I just leave them and keep on riding. By far the best bang for the buck upgrade on my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Two

First just as I was leaving work, which I patched because I left my spare tube at home, changed the tube out a few days later.

The other in the woods, not sure why, but had the extra tube and changed out, no bug spray on, got eaten alive by insects.

No plan to change to tubeless...have not wrapped my mind around it yet.

Blueliner

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I hate to say it, but 0 for me running tubeless. Going to Downieville tomorrow though, so I need to go find some wood really quick (knock, knock)
    Last edited by Chapped (o) Hole; 09-01-2011 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    always seems like you get 2-3 flats within a short period of time. I hadn't gotten a flat for months then all of a sudden i got 3 flats in a period of 2 weeks. Haven't had any since this season *crossing my fingers* i dont get anymore.

Double-metric mtb man
    I've been pretty lucky....no flats on the mountain bike this year or last (knock on wood) and I think only one the year before that. The 'cross / commuter picked up a little bit of glass through the slicks a couple months ago, but that's it's only one in the last couple years too.

I just cringe...I know that the time will come where I'll get double flats on both bikes within a week or something dumb like that.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Nickel Havr
    Only once this year... Pinch flat on the front tire.

I was coming down a fast DH section to the TH and didn't even notice the tire was completely flat for about a mile! Pulled into the lot and went to turn and heard the rim on the pavement...

My last flat was over two years ago... I run Slime Lite tubes at 35psi.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member

I've had one...since August 1999

I've only had one real flat (that I couldn't just pump back up and finish the ride) since August 8th of 1999...and that one was becauseI had tried a second rate tube, and tore the valve stem off while adding air with a mini pump.

My set-up?

Maxxis DH Tires 2.5" - 2.7" or Bontrager Big Earl tires 2.5" - 2.8"
    Maxxis DH Tubes
    4 oz Slime
    28mm or wider rims (Currently Sun Singletrack)

With this combination, I typically run 17 - 21 PSI in front and 24 -29 PSI in the rear, and have had such good results, that I haven't carried a spare tube since Fall of 2001.

I live in Sedona; rocky and cactus infested desert, make several trips each year to Zion and Boulder City, both of which are known for eating tires and tubes.

BTW, I am 205 lbs, and not exactly what you would call a mellow rider.

When someone can show me a system or combination of elements that has a better track record, I will give it a try, but so far pretty much everybody that I know of riding with a different set-up still wastes time on the trail fixxing flats, and therefore has to carry a spare tube...
    If more people rode more bikes, more places, more often, the world would be a more better place!

since 4/10/2009
    one.

I had newly set up my tires as tubeless and set the pressure a bit low. hit a really square bump and the edge pinched the tire against the rim. Tire casing right at the bead got a sizeable hole, with a smaller pinhole in the tread. Instant deflation.

I replaced that tire with an identical one in UST variety for the thicker sidewalls, kept my pressure about the same, and haven't had a problem since.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i plead the 5th in fear of the law of Jinx
    Last edited by CHUM; 09-02-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: i am stoopid....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    Same scenario here...Three in a fairly short period of time recently. Seriously considering converting to tubeless with my downtime this winter.
    Tubeless would not have made a difference in any of these three flats.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    One flat about 16 months ago....a tear from live rock...sealant had all dried up....

Buddy flatted his front and aas he was fixing the rear also went flat...

Lent him my spare tube sucker has to be three plus years old.

mtbr member
    My cross bike flats all the time, but I often ride it like a mountain bike and it is not tubeless. At least 5 flats this year.

All my other bikes are tubeless, road bike included, and I haven't flatted on any of them since I made the transition (ranging from 1 year to 2+ years). Tubeless is for rilla.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    NONE ... since I switched to tubeless (RoRo EVO 2.25, 30/32 psi Fr/R) ... as opposed to 4 last year (all pinch-flat), running with tubes (Maxxis flyweight tubes, RoRo 2.1) !!

mtbr member
    Terrible luck this year! At least 8 I can think of and only two were pinch flats. Three happened right after road rides, right after I got to my car and just before putting my bike on my rack.... strange...

mtbr member
    I got about 10 last summer, but then went tubeless over the winter. I just got my first one of this season this week- a small tear from a branch. However, it has been about 8 months since I added Stan's juice, so most of it was balled up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I haven't had a flat in 4 years. Went to tubeless this year, but was running cheap tubes for the previous. Not many thorns around here but I can't believe I went 3 years without getting a pinch flat.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snowpunk View Post
    Terrible luck this year! At least 8 I can think of and only two were pinch flats. Three happened right after road rides, right after I got to my car and just before putting my bike on my rack.... strange...
    I got a flat several years ago when I was riding a loop that had a FS road descent to my car. This particular FS road had been recently graveled/graded and I got a serious head of steam in the last mile or so headed back to my car. Got to the car, leaned the bike against the berm on the side of the road, and took my helmet and pack off. When I turned to the bike to put it on the rack, I discovered my rear tire was flat. It was inflated when I was riding. Strangest thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    rode on tubes for 4 years with zero flats. switched to tubeless 6 months ago and already 2 flats.

mtbr member
    Flats haven't affected me, but component damage is my bane. Freakin expensive. I've ruined a chain, a near-new crankset, a derailleur, and a rear wheel in the past 12 months. I'd trade that for a dozen flats in a heartbeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    None for 9 months, then one Monday big nail then a pinch flat Tuesday. I guess they just catch up to you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Southern Arizona is hell for tubes, I had a lot of flats. I think almost everybody around here runs tubeless and I can see why, 1-2 flats almost every ride for me then I went tubeless and now I don't even carry a spare tube anymore.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    My new riding partner is a jinx for me. On our second ride he asked how often I get flats (he's a recent roadie convert) and I was like oh 2-3 a year. Well in the 3 months we've been riding together I have had 5!
    3 pinch flats, one thorn and ripped the side wall out of my actual tire (that's a first for me) and had to get a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Two here but they were both on the skinny tired road bike. Knock on wood nothing on the mtn bike yet.

mtbr member
    Zero so far in two years. Knock wood.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    zero

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Zero, I remember getting one as a kid and bought tuffy liners. No more flats but even on my new bike without them none yet. Should swap them.
    The worst is feeling the highest of highs, but always feeling the lowest of the lows.

It's all a dream...

On wuss patrol
    Lost count. Some of you can't actually be riding.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Zero flats for 2 years. Specialized Clutch 2.3s running tubed around 25psi. It's not easy to **** up these tires. I tend to pop at least one chain every season, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Total 6. Four in a short time about a month ago (was running too low pressure, my pump guage was off 20psi, so running about 25 psi, cushy ride but slow). None since getting a new pump until last week, two at the same time in a thorn field. 3 holes in one tube, 5 in the other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had a 2 year flat free streak that ended early this year. This one section of trail left my group of 5 with 6 flats, 2 of them on my bike. I went tubeless and haven't had an issue since.

Jason
    One, in the beginning of the season. Pure hell. My CO2 pump gave out and made things waaaaayyyyy more difficult than they had to be.
    Jason

bust a move
    Six flats between five bikes ridden this year. Most recent was this morning 5 miles into my ride. Price Point often has tubes 5 for $10 or 10 for $20
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

DH.FR.0ne
    None, using WTB Timberwolfs. I've never punctured these things. I'd be interested to hear of anyone who has. Theres a reason they're so heavy: they're invincible!

mtbr member
    From january to april, it was flat fest for me, almost one every ride, then I putted slime in my tubes, no flats since, then New bike arrived, went out to test it, got a thorn just before a rock garden, got 2 snake bikes plus the thorn to repair, no spare tube just park tool patches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    got a flat the other day with no spare or tools with me. it was a long walk back. and now i have fixed my rear tube but i may have messed something up in the process because my bike shifts very hard now and ive tried lubing the chain.

bi-winning
    Terrible year for me this year - six so far.

Commuting - Nail in tire, tiny shard of glass, valve stem ripped out x2.
    MTB - Thorn, pinch flat.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    I've had three this year. All three came early in the year. I had one thorn and two pinch flats. I had forgotten my ideal tire pressure over the winter. The number I thought I was running was apparently too low.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post

Three flats in the past year or so, all pinch flats in the rear

I run light tubes, ~23 psi from, ~30 psi rear.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

dirtbag
    I can proudly say, 'none so far" Hope I don't jinx my run...
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    I can proudly say, 'none so far" Hope I don't jinx my run...
    You just did!
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    none since I've gone tubeless ( about a year and a half)

mtbr member
    4 I think, with one double-trouble when I managed to get both front and back tire punctured in the same ride.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    3 w/ tubes. Zero since tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Tubeless zero and hammering.

Hello
    zero flats in two years. Of course I just jinked my self by replying to your question...

sent from my rotary phone