thechriswebb
    Dec 2009

Flat Laurel and Ivestor

With the exception of the incident with the hornet's nest, it was a beautiful day in Pisgah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1659.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1661.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1683.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1691.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1694.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1707.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1708.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1709.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1712.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-imag1713.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yellowjackets? I hate those. Looks like a good ride, what was the exact route? How far?

thechriswebb
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rain164845 View Post
    Yellowjackets? I hate those. Looks like a good ride, what was the exact route? How far?
    Bald faced hornets, actually. I got all to good of a look at them.

It is a great ride. Drive to the Black Balsam Bald parking area close to the graveyard fields and the Flat Laurel Creek and Ivestor Gap trails are accessible from there. You can ride the Flat Laurel Creek trail all of the way down to highway 215 and then take that to the parkway and ride back to the Black Balsam Parking area. From there, the Ivestor Gap trail goes north. Be careful because the Art Loeb trail intersects it and you ride along the perimeter of Shining Rock Wilderness Area, which is off limits to bikes. So, when you go up Ivestor, it is an out and back trip. You can turn east on the Graveyard Ridge Trail when you get to the Shining Rock Wilderness Area and go a little ways but you aren't allowed to ride on the Graveyard Fields trail. I didn't ride all the way to the end of the Graveyard Ridge Trail b/c I turned around when I hit the hornets nest.

The ride is a beautiful one with lovely views of the bald mountains in that area. The gradient isn't too severe but it is very, very rocky.

thechriswebb
    Dec 2009
    My GPS went down and only recorded eight miles of the ride but I'm going to guess that I rode 12+ miles or so on this route.

yeah, uh............bikes
    I don't think i've been to pisgah and not been in awe at some point in the ride. Farlow Gap was fun as always today, and Pilot Cove was a blast yesterday. great rides.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flat Laurel and Ivestor-2011-09-01-15.05.48.jpg  

Flat Laurel and Ivestor-pilot-cove.jpg  

thechriswebb
    Dec 2009
    Like the panorama. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Pisgah is magic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I ride Flat Laurel & Ivestor Gap, I start at highway 215 trailhead and do it as an out & back. If you ride Ivestor Gap/Graveyard Fields trail to the end of the bike legal section, combined with Flat Laurel you can get a total of 16 miles of riding in.

thechriswebb
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wncbiker View Post
    When I ride Flat Laurel & Ivestor Gap, I start at highway 215 trailhead and do it as an out & back. If you ride Ivestor Gap/Graveyard Fields trail to the end of the bike legal section, combined with Flat Laurel you can get a total of 16 miles of riding in.

I've never started at 215; I might try it that way next time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The climb up Flat Laurel from 215 is nice, if along the section of trail near the creek is dry, then the trail is doable without any pushing. If wet, then, well you know how wet rocks & climbing can be!