This place needs an enema

Flashing back. And forward.

Two years ago this month my life took a hard right turn, the end result of which was an entirely new perspective on how, and why, life is meant to be lived.  

A large factor in that perspective change came as a result of this trip, these people, that place:

The combined richness of that experience, those souls, and that landscape affected me indelibly, changed how I fundamentally perceive and interact with the world.  And I don't mean because now I often have a paddle in my hands.

A few weeks ago my life took another hard turn.  Staring down the barrel of a .45 pointed by an irrational, implacable human left me shaken, questioning, uncertain.  

All of the above still apply--perhaps even more now.

In the wake I've spent as much time as possible with old, good friends--the kind that have known me long enough to see and maybe even understand the change that happens too slowly to notice myself.  

I've pondered and brooded--much more than normal if you can believe that--and have asked hard questions of myself.  Largely, I haven't liked the answers.

Not to say that many answers have surfaced just yet.  Introspection on this level, I'm learning, happens as a process and without a set schedule.

I spent a good chunk of time in the mountains last weekend, sifting through and sorting things out.  

It seemed natural, even right, to return to the place where I best knew whom I was, what I wanted, and where I was heading, even if none of the above answers apply today.  

Maybe especially if.

Thus far the only certainty is that I need more time to sort out the chaos and uncertainty that reign.  

I can't help but to read it metaphorically.

New perspectives don't develop overnight.  Looked at the wrong way, that's a blanket statement that really says nothing.  To me, now, it says everything.

Onward.

The 5th knuckle
    Thanks for the post. Too often we are just looking forward full steam ahead. Oblivious to where we are now or where we've been, let alone how we got here. I appreciate all the great images of your trips and perspective. Onward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    When I start thinking like this, I try to remember how small a speck of dust our world is compared to the multiverse and in 100yrs nobody is going to remember any of us anyway. Sometimes ya just got to say what the f__k!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Beautiful ruminations. There are epiphanies and realizations, reflections, hindsight and foresight, the sky reflected in a pond, unravellings and a pair of knitting needles shows up, and gratitude that this all plays out with a backdrop (foreground?) of amazing natural beauty and the gentle passage of time. All will be well.

two wheel whore
    So did you beat that dude's ass or what. Was it a robbery?

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    When I start thinking like this, I try to remember how small a speck of dust our world is compared to the multiverse and in 100yrs nobody is going to remember any of us anyway. Sometimes ya just got to say what the f__k!

You've been watching this...

No moss...

mtbr member
    Where was picture #9 taken....the town with the mountains in the background?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Where was picture #9 taken....the town with the mountains in the background?
    That's Crested Butte.