Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trips for Kids Denver
    I had ridden dirt bikes since I was 12 and when I was about 19 I got to talking to a co-worker that was into mountain biking. He agreed to show me some nearby trails and I met him with my bike from target. He has these funny shoes that locked him onto the pedals.

Luckily, we rode some pretty tame rolling terrain near a housing devlopment as I went off a small jump and collapsed the front wheel.

The upgrade monster has been on my back every minute for the last 22 years. I'm currently riding a 2012 Rumblefish Elite and lusting for a 140mm fork upgrade. ha ha
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    I remember my Mom taking me to some store in downtown Oakland. My Sears bike got stolen, so we were looking at some faux Swedish (yes, Swedish) offroad bike with front suspension, so I could continue to rail the mining road and trails of Iowa Hill. I lived for that.

Fast forward to the 80s, and I had been commuting to college on a road bike, but nothing for my Iowa hill trails. My friend had a 24" wheeled BMX, cromoly stoker or stroker to borrow, and I had a BLAST railing on it near his home near Folsom Lake. I was always riding by myself, absolutely addicted to singletrack. He moved but left me the bike, but I was riding longer and longer distances and I need some gears. Along comes friend #2 who lent me a fine steel Novara, and I rode that into the ground. Finally went and purchased a 89 Rockhopper Comp, and started blazing Western States and anything else I could find.

I broke that, and tried to have Mark at PMW fix it but no go. Why the history? Because these initial bikes fade into one another, but they are my cornerstone to what has to become a life-long LOVE, both recreational and professional!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I had bought a used 2006 Turner 5 Spot for $450.......I was so stoked about my good fortune that I took it out late in the afternoon right after work and promptly got lost.

The intelligent person that I am, I got the bright idea to make my own shortcuts and tried to walk the bike thru some steep areas to get back to the main trail and twice fell down the hill. First time with the bike landing on my head and backpack. The 2nd time the bike hit a tree, came to a complete stop still upright while I slide past it and got a nice puncture wound on my tricep from it somehow.

After the 2nd spill, I got a smarter idea and followed the marked path to the main trail. Near dusk, I can't figure which way is back to the trailhead. There is no longer anyone on the main trail. I catch my breathe and figure what hell....I have a 50% chance on choosing the right direction making it back before it gets too dark and have to spend the night on the trail.....any way I choose wrong and start to go into the trail even more.

Luckily, I ran into the very last group of hikers and they point me in the right direction.

Something like that.... getting lost...taking short cuts....should never happen to someone of my IQ. The bike had to be the cause....affecting my thought processes..like it was the "Christine" of bikes or something. Now I know why the guy sold me the bike for just $450.

I sold the bike to a female roadie that was going to give mountain biking a 2nd try. The first time she went mtbing was 4 years ago when she went downhilling and broke her collarbone on the first run.

I have a feeling that the female roadie with the balls of melons is now lying somewhere at the bottom of a 1000' ravine with "Christine".
    Last edited by tim808; 12-28-2012 at 10:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My parents bought me a free spirit from sears for my birthday or something. A new 26" with 18 speeds and pullup bar for a toptube. I think I was 9 or 10. Us kids built a jump and were hitting it with a group of friends. I decided that I wanted to go way faster and so I pedaled from the top of the hill around the corner. Hit that sucker at top speed, it felt like I caught 3 ft of air. Came down and my rubber booted feet slipped off the pedals causing me to unforgettably wreck my nuts on that ferocious top tube. Sat on a log in agony.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    On his 1st ride on a mountain trail, my co-worker who was not wearing a helmet, decides to bomb down the fire road on the way back. Apparently, he forgot that some of the ruts in the road are partially washed out so that the ruts are not smooth but full of exposed rocks.

As I come around the bend, I can see him start to hit the rocks and see him elevate off the bike and go into some tall grass. When I catch up, I'm shocked to find the grass transitions to a dry stream and my co-worker is laying in a bed of rocks. Luckily, his hip hit the grassy area first before he continued into the rocks......he would have been really messed if he went directly into the rocks....he had no protection at all. He had to lay there for a while before he could get up.

After getting up and walking around a little to shake it off, he decides to sit on a rock to rest a little more. He passes out but luckily slumps over onto a nearby tree branch instead of face planting on the rocks and starts snoring. That really scared me!

After shifting him over to the ground, he wakes up and we eventually get back to the parking lot. I tried to convince him to have his son pick him up or to let me drive him home but he refuses. He also refuses to go to the ER to get checked.

He eventually drives home but misses the next two days of work. He did eventually see a doctor - , after 2 days of my mentioning stories of people who have died after hitting their heads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    ...was 14 and just recieved a GT Talera for my birthday! I rode it all over our yard and over to my friends house so we could ride the neighborhood together(he had a GT Mach One bmx). I lived in north central IL so there weren't any mtb trails(that I knew of) but I rode into town to school in the summer for football weights. That bike was so good to me for a long time...

And now here I am, almost 20 years later, with another GT in my garage. I've moved to CO and am trying to work some MTBing into my life again

mtbr member
    ...I had cigarette hanging out of my mouth and knew at that point it was time to quit. That was 1988..... I haven't looked back since and the "ride" (pun intended) has been fantastic!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfthntr View Post
    ...I had cigarette hanging out of my mouth and knew at that point it was time to quit. That was 1988..... I haven't looked back since and the "ride" (pun intended) has been fantastic!
    That's awesome!

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    My first time mountain biking I discovered that while running does give you good cardio and aerobic capacity that carries over to biking...the muscles worked are not the same and those same mile-long 20% grade hills you can run without too much trouble are damn-near impossible on a bike! At least, they were 2 and a half years ago!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

Climbs = necessary evil
    I got on my new Bridgestone MB-3 Cr-Mo steel frame, fully rigid bike at my apartment in college and took the streets about 3/4 mile to the fire road that started the climb up Red Mountain towards the base of Vulcan.

I don't recall how far it was mileage-wise up to the top, but my roommate and I kept on riding for about an hour - dodging rocks, broken broken beer bottle, discarded used syringes, and other misc urban debris until we arrived at a little single track that took us the rest of the way to the top - victory was ours!

The reward??? The best things in life never change. It was the downhill ride back to the apartment followed by beers and food with a good friend!

Positive Rep for anyone (well up to my limit of 5) who can tell me based on a few key clues in the story what town this was in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    My first time mountain biking I discovered that while running does give you good cardio and aerobic capacity that carries over to biking...the muscles worked are not the same and those same mile-long 20% grade hills you can run without too much trouble are damn-near impossible on a bike! At least, they were 2 and a half years ago!
    Well yeah, when you are riding you have your weight and the weight of the bike to get up that hill. It's going down where all that hard work pays off!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

banned
    Aug 2012
    My first mountain bike was a Schwinn Varsity ... All this fancy terminology didn't exist.

Street & later, BMX, was all we had

First bike was a 50's vintage Schwinn, pre-welded on kickstand, called a Baracudda ... But I digress.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I got on my new Bridgestone MB-3 Cr-Mo steel frame, fully rigid bike at my apartment in college and took the streets about 3/4 mile to the fire road that started the climb up Red Mountain towards the base of Vulcan.

I don't recall how far it was mileage-wise up to the top, but my roommate and I kept on riding for about an hour - dodging rocks, broken broken beer bottle, discarded used syringes, and other misc urban debris until we arrived at a little single track that took us the rest of the way to the top - victory was ours!

The reward??? The best things in life never change. It was the downhill ride back to the apartment followed by beers and food with a good friend!

Positive Rep for anyone (well up to my limit of 5) who can tell me based on a few key clues in the story what town this was in!
    Birmingham
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    ...almost barfed my first ride. I was 22 and went on a group ride with a bunch of 40 and 50 somethings with pot bellies wrinkles. I was skinny as can be. They taught me how it can take years to develop legs and lungs. I am 29 now and 4x the rider I was when I was 22.

Killsong united
    Aug 2012
    ... started from my house and rode 1 mile long road climb. When I reached the top (150 ft of climbing) I felt as if my lungs and quads will explode. After I caught my breath I reached a double-track (a bit rocky) and rode it for a couple of minutes trying to get used to the feeling and also thinking that it feels great.
    When I came home I told my wife: "We're buying a bike for you!"
    So we did. And since then we became passionate MTbikers.

~*~*~*~*~
    We rented bikes at Sugarloaf Mt. in Maine back in the early '90s. I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt & a sweat shirt. After about an hour my poor derriere hurt so bad, I took off my sweat shirt and wrapped it around the seat, trying to make it more comfortable. It took a couple of days for things to return to normal, but I remember thinking how fun it was to ride in the woods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I started in 2012, early in the season. My first trail happend to be on one of the more technical, advanced ones and I honestly spent 70% of it walking. But the 30% I did ride was a lot of fun and only made me want to get better. I then found this web site and was able to find beginner trails. Well now that the season is coming around again, I can't wait to start riding again. I do need to get back into shape though after my back surgery last summer and not doing anything since then.

I also hate not being able to ride year long.
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The first time I ever road a mountain bike I had to stop about 10 times. And during one of those stops my legs, hands, & lips were tingling. I started feeling woozy. I stopped to lay down in the brush and looked up at the sky. The trees were so pretty from that point-of-view. I saw a unicorn, lepricons dancing on pots of gold and lance armstrong asked me if I wanted to ride with him. After the crew I was riding with realized I wasn't riding with them anymore they came back and found me enjoying the scenery from on my back. They fed me energy bars and water and in about 15 minutes I was walking all the way back.

It was awesome and now I ride every time I get a chance!!!!!!!!!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Gym rat my whole life. HATED doing cardio in the gym and at the suggestion of my brother in law i picked up a $300 MTB.

Used to BMX as a kid so i figured itd be np.

Yea.......

Amazing how steep shallow grades seemed back then isnt it? 2% up was legs and lungs on fire with a good puke in store if i kept at it for very long. 2% down was brake levers pulled to the grips will all four fingers (most likely looking for the bail out).

One of the neat things that i miss from that era of my bike riding was the exploration. Santee Sycamore Canyon is to this day one of our favorite home rides. Aprox a 16.5 mile trail. 6 miles of rolling canyon out, about a 4.5 mile loop with fire road climbs and a gnarly ST decent, and then back down the 6 mile canyon to finish ride. We can knock that ride out now in 1:15 -1:30. Back when we first found it, we rode out the canyon until we gave up. Came back next time and went out a little farther. I think it was like the 5th time before we even found the loop at the end, and maybe the 7-8th time before we finished the whole ride.

I do miss that part. Cant remember the last time i was "lost" and had to turn around and go back down the "endless" trail i had been riding.

P.S. I really pissed off my brother in law. He had been riding for a while when i got my first bike. He let me ride for a month to get my legs under me before he showed me some trails. I was already faster than him. muhahahaha!!!!

Bicycle Radical
    My first 'mountain bike' was something from a big box store. It had fat tires and was made out of heavy heavy steel. I rode that on the roads, on dirt paths, and anywhere I could reasonably go with the bike. Riding that beast took me all over my home town and I learned some of the basic skills which I take for granted these days such as wheelies, bunny hops, endos, etc all while exploring urban and non urban environments.

It is amazing how far mountain bikes have come since those days.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

Trail Ninja
    The First time I ever Rode a Mt Bike... I...

Rode it all the way home, from the store, about 5 miles away. It was a bike I saw in the magazines, a 3-page ad with John Tomac riding it, a blue $530 Giant ATX 860. Never really gone further than around my neighborhood until then, as I was a little kid. I rode that bike everywhere I could, including to my school, to some of my school mate's houses, through the park, and even joined the local bike shop's group rides. Opened up a whole new world for me, beyond exploring the woods behind my house on foot and going to the convenience store. It was legitimate transportation, and it encouraged me to even race the traffic.

My best friend's house was about 5 miles away, and I'd ride there to play games and stuff. I'd race my previous times to get there, trying to get it under 20 minutes, then trying to get it to 15 minutes. I was seriously racing the traffic along the way, and would get comments from people who saw me, like my friend's parents and kids/teachers at school. I wasn't that fast though--my bigger bro would easily leave me behind if I tried to follow him.

Of course, I rode it on trails, but the trails weren't that great then, except the ones the LBS took me to, like Minnewaska. When I returned home a few years ago, a lot of new trails built by mtn bikers popped up in the areas I ridden before, and I had access to trails a bit further away, such as Stewart (Hudson Valley, NY) and Mt. Beacon.

All that helped set up my bike commuting habits. I honestly don't consider myself a true mtn biker until I rode "real trails" a few years ago. I just pedaled a mtn bike on the road and took detours and short cuts off-road.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-29-2013 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ...got a sore taint (from the bike saddle, and nothing else)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bought my first 26inch bike in 2003 from LBS. Steel frame, rigid forks, 18 gears $199. I didn't know dirt tracks existed until 5 years later. The first time I rode a dirt track I saw birds and lizards and even some kangaroos. I had no idea where the track went or how long it was and after about an hour I was totally lost and extremely exhausted from walking up the "big hills". I was scared I was not going to find my way out but at the same time I was thinking this is the best adventure I have ever been on. After a 30min rest I continued on and an hour after that I finally found my way back to the car park. Turns out the track was just an easy 5km fire trail loop but I was out there half the day. I have been hooked on nature and exploring ever since.

I now ride everywhere, cycling is my main form of transport, and I still have my first bike; It's the most reliable bike I own. Hills ain't hills anymore, I can't believe how far I've come and I can't believe how overweight I was.

PRETENDURO
    Although Charlie’s story is more interesting…

The First time I ever Rode a Mt Bike... I... was only 13 years old. It was 1983, and although mountain bike technology had progressed a bit, there were no such thing as 29ers or Lefty forks.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The first time I rode a mountain bike I bunny hopped some shoe boxes in front of my house and bent the rear wheel so bad the bike wouldn't roll anymore. I promptly realized I couldn't treat it like my BMX bike.
    That is also the story of my first real mountain bike's first ride... oops.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast