Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Retro on Steroids
    I have a pretty good story about that, but it is too long to post here. I have a website to tell it.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine needed to lose at least 100 lbs to join the Army. He had a couple of bikes and let my son ride one. Soon they were out doing 10+ miles a day around town. I'd had a bike twice as a kid but just rode it around every so often. Since my son was serious about riding, I bought him a real bike. After my friend left for boot camp my son was w/o a partner so I bought a bike, a Specialized Hardrock.

First trip I couldn't even make it around the block as I was wheezing so bad. It took a month to make it around the block and I was ready to sell the bike out of embarrassment. I got better but it wasn't until this year that I had courage to do a real trail. I purchased a WSD Mamba as a 26 inch bike was too small.

I read the mountain book bible and I was ready to go with my son and hubby. I thought I was going to die. My husband who hates anything outdoors was having a blast going through the trail with ease. I almost wanted to divorce him on the spot as he made it look so easy. I spent most of the trail trying not kill myself and at one point sat down and cried trying to get up a hill. However; I was smitten. The fact that I sucked made me even more determined to get better.

The second trip I went over the bars and was out of riding for 7 weeks with a concussion. The more I looked at the Mamba, I realized I couldn't ride it anymore and ended up with a fat bike.

I'll be honest, a beginner who is out of shape and has never done mountain biking probably shouldn't have purchased that bike. I've cursed it. I've loved it. As anyone who rides a fat bike knows, there's something about these bikes that makes it almost impossible to sell it as well. Even if I sold it, I don't what I'd replace it with as I've looked around.

Regardless, I'm in for the rest of my life. There are too many rewards and challenges out there that need to be conquered.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Walked every hill.
    Went over the handlebar.
    Told myself "This ain't BMX."
    ...and "Mountain biking SUCKS"

Rode a whopping 5 miles and felt like death.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    My story is so long I had to put together a website to tell it.
    Thanks Repack!

Being from the east coast back in the day I remember reading about these adventures we used to say: "Man those guys are really cool we gotta do that" We had a dirt downhill in watershed property and my dad used to drive his old Ford Pickup to the top and drop us off and we would fly down, burning off all the brakes on our bikes, and then resorting to other means to slow down. If Mom only knew how those sneakers really wore out! We would ride back home all the time thinking we were somehow connected to the Repack Riders!

This website should be required reading and s"Stickyed" somewhere here on MTBR!

Dudette
    It wasn't my bike, it didn't fit, and I fell a lot. The next thing I knew, I was buying my first "real" mountain bike and taking a class. I was hooked!

mtbr member
    I hooked up with some chick I met on my first ride. We rode for about 30 miles that day. We went back to her house and started fooling around. My legs were cramping really bad and it didn't work out very well. She was understanding and gave me another chance the next night! But check this out: she had a pile of crap bike with a broken front derailer and rode the whole ride in her large ring. You should have seen the legs and ass on this girl!! Amazing!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A little over three years ago a friend of mine was telling me about mountain biking and mountain bike races in the area. I didn't know that my area had that sort of thing (st. louis). I thought that was something only people out in Colorado did. I used to ride my bmx bike all the time from the age of 6 to 16 ramping rock piles and anything I could find so I was interested in mtb.

I had a coworker fix up my Mongoose XR-75 that my parents had bought me at some point in college and another buddy of mine and my friend rode on a trail close to my house. I had no idea what I was doing and I am sure that I rode super slow and looked like a total noob/dork, but it was extremely invigorating. A whole new world was opened to me and I had a blast and have been hooked and having fun ever since. I rode that XR-75 walmart special for probably 15 times until I convinced the wife that I needed an upgrade.

A 6 mile mountain bike ride would have been it for me and I don't even feel warmed up until about 6 miles now. It's crazy how things change and things are put into a different perspective.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    ^Pics............ Dammit!!!!!!...LOL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Subscribed!!
    Love the stories. I'm waitin on my first bike to come in. Can't wait to share my first story!

mtbr member
    I bought a mountain bike from the flea market for $35 so that I didn't have to walk around much where I lived at the time, because I had some previous foot injuries. It was a blue Schwinn Mirada from the 80s with terrible grips and an unfixable derailleur problem. Near this place I lived was a canal, with a ton of fire road type trails that went down to it and went along the banks, etc. I discovered a fire road leading to the canal one day while just cruising along the area's paved back roads and went off road for the first time.

I was scared. I had no idea what was down this random path and there were tons of signs at the beginning warning that it's a wildlife area and all kinds of random stuff. I rode bmx back in the day so I knew somewhat of what I was doing. The main path split off into a web of different trails and I rode back there for a couple hours or so just riding around. One of the trails was mostly sand and I had my first mtn bike wreck riding around a corner and ate it hard when my front tire washed out. I even tried to make a video of me riding the trail with my super crappy phone, and I'm sure I would laugh so hard if I watched that video clip today (this was at the end of the summer 2008). It was literally a HUGE noob place, except for the 4 wheeler jumps that were there, but it was too sandy and I was too huge a noob and afraid to death of doing those.

There was one hill that I couldn't make it up without getting off, which was probably only 100' long, and there was a semi steep hill that I was too scared to go down. These days when I ride I face the same exact obstacles (and many way worse) many multiple times each ride... It's so embarrassing but so funny to think about how hard even the simplest of things were back then compared to today. I upgraded to a better bike that year, and then the next year I found real trails and upgraded bikes another 3 times. The rest is history.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by zkid09 View Post
    Subscribed!!
    Love the stories. I'm waitin on my first bike to come in. Can't wait to share my first story!
    Keep us posted...
    ...so what kinda bike did ya order?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Keep us posted...
    ...so what kinda bike did ya order?
    Definitely!
    I ordered a 2013 hardrock sport disk. Nothing fancy but I'm still recovering from a motocross injury and want to make sure ill be able to ride long term before dropping a couple grand.
    Broke my tib, fib and shattered the tib plateau where it connects to my knee.
    I can't run anymore so hopefully the bike will keep me more active!

Annnnd i didn't want to get too deep before knowing which road ill take. I want to do more AM personally but unsure if my knee wants me to do that or not hahaha

Did order a few small cheap goodies for slight upgrades though. Some wellgo v8 replicas, grips, getting some tires, etc. nothing major but a few small upgrades that should help out a little!
    Also a longer stem because the medium in the HR was a little big, small was a tad small so I went with a medium and longer stem so I can still throw it around easier

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So...my first ride ...
    How in the hell do you guys ride 10 miles without puking and passing out?!

I just went on my first ride. Left from my house and rode about 2 miles. Rode down the road and down two run down trails I use to ride as a kid on my dirt bike. Had to carry the bike through brush and over trees about 5 times. About the forth time, I took a couple minute break And thought I was going to puke. Legs felt like they had a furnace inside them and was wondering wtf I was thinking. Jumped a couple deer during the ride though.

Even though I about died, goin down hill was awesome. Up hill....not so much. Gotta get my endurance up and make a couple tweaks to the bike but it was fun....when I wasn't climbing lol

mtbr member
    I knew I needed one of my own.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    First time I ever rode a mountain bike...

Went up to Truckee with a good friend of mine who has been mountain biking for most of his childhood. My only experience prior to this was riding an old Roadmaster mountain bike off of ramps that I build with plywood and bricks lying in the backyard. Well the opportunity came up to go up with him, and I took a chance. Rented a full squish bike from the LBS and stuffed it in the trunk of a ford taurus. We parked at the bottom of a 3 mile STEEP climb to the trailhead. By the time we made it to the trailhead I was panting, and pretty nauseous. I knew it was either going to be an epic day or a horrendous day.

I took 30 minutes to sit down and breathe while I downed one of my water bottles. Once I was feeling up for it I jumped back on the bike and proceeded to have the most fun I've ever had on a mountain without snow. I remember the adrenaline of rolling over rocks, skidding into turns (when I was still scared to use the front brake), and the pain in my legs that only gave me an endorphin rush. I eventually cramped out and literally couldn't even walk for what seemed like 10 minutes. The sun started setting and we decided to slowly walk out bikes to the road. I made my way down the steep hill down to the LBS right as they were closing up. They could tell I was beat, but I was smiling ear to ear, drenched in sweat, and covered in dirt. Next thing I knew, I was going up once a month, then every other week, and the rest is history.

mtbr member
    I had just bought a new Kona because I needed a bike since my kids were starting to ride. I decided I should get a mountain bike and hit some trails. Went to a local singletrack park, found a trailhead and took off without any idea what I was doing or where I was going. About 100 yards in I came to the top of what I soon learned was "superman hill". After nearly killing myself a time or two I made it down, but then it was uphill everywhere. I made it about 6 miles that night iirc. My legs burned like crazy, but I was hooked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    I won't count the mtb-style bikes I was given in the late 80s/early 90s, since they were just school commuters and most got stolen (I swear, that campus had a bike thief in every tree).

The first time I really fell in love with a mountain bike it was the Specialized Stump Jumper. I knew I had to get myself something like that - bought a Rock Hopper that was promptly stolen, and went back to road riding.

I bought a used Trek 8000 in about 94/95 - and that just nailed it for me. I rode that thing everywhere, all the time. I spent the majority of my 'riding' time on my road bike, but every time I just wanted to chill out and see the world, it was that 8000. Learned to do drops to flat on that bike, figured out how to do the BMX style stuff I'd done as a kid on it, and it was my go-to for rain and bad weather.

Now, of course, I hardly ever road ride (too many dangerous drivers), and spend all my free time on my new 29er. The old Trek hangs on my bike rack, waiting for a restoration as all the bearing races are shot.
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Im View Post
    skidding into turns
    So your the one who blows out all the corners!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    First time I rode a big (26") wheel bike (it was a beach cruiser with some BMX parts bolted on) I found about a 20' grade/drop off that separated the athletic fields at my H.S. and gradually started launching off of it... didn't stop till I started hitting it a little too flat at the bottom, and it nearly bounced me off the pedals! I never got into MTB in the early 90's because I found a bunch of MTB magazines and the prices of stuff even back then totally put me off the sport. When I did buy a bike it was a used GT timberline I got for $99, I rode it for quite awhile on the boardwalks and bikepaths in Orange County Ca. to get myself in shape before venturing into the hills. One day I went to Irvine park and started exploring around. I ended up hopping a gate and riding up a "off limits" MWD service road (poaching?) after about a month, and 4 or 5 rides up "illegal trails" I was told by a random dude at a jobsite that there was a MTB park within a mile of where I was poaching! (Santiago Oaks)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    In high school I had a smoking hot teacher who rode in everyday on her bike. Her arse in that lycra convinced me to join the schools adventure club in which she led. 3rd trip was mountain biking so I picked up a rigid diamondback and went along. At the end of the day she made it very clear that she wasnt done "riding" things and we went back to her place.
    She had a hook up at GT so I kept this going long enough to get a seriously discounted DHi.
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

I Ride Bikes
    I.....went over the handlebars and ate crap.

Then I was like, THIS IS AWESOME!!
    I like to hug trees at FULL SPEED!

mtbr member
    The day I picked up my 90' Rockhopper Comp I did a 30 mile round trip road ride to the beach in my then fashionable black and pink lycra. It was then I discovered knobbies suck on the road........

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My brother brought a bike home from the beach with gears, big tires and brakes that actually worked. I had ridden bmx bikes only to that point. (I was in my early twenties) I hopped on dropped to the lowest gears and climbed a steep hill at my parents house that I could never ride a bmx bike up and then proceeded to roll right out through the woods, felt like a steam roller. I was hooked. A week later I was buying my first mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've rode a variety of bikes throughout the years. Even had your garden variety of big box store mountain bikes over my years.

The first time I rode a rough single track I was hooked, Rode a CCM without a front shock. It was rough and bumpy. I fell a bunch. I hit my boys a bunch of times . But somehow I still had fun. I am an avid weightlifter but cardio has been my bane. Never could get into running or road biking. Even rowing bored me to tears. But the first time I rode singletrack XC stuff I didn't even think about how hard I was working. It was such a rush!

I build my own.
    My story goes back a little before Repack. 1962. A local bike builder was making "trail bicycles". It was like a regular cruiser, singlespeed with swept bars and balloon tires, the only difference was a springer fork and heavier welds. Most of the kids had them and used them on dirt roads and cow paths. My friends and I built some trails on the local ski hill and really put the bikes through their paces. I rode that "Henley" until I was a teenager & moved to the west coast. Then I'd buy the beefiest bike available until mountain bikes came out.

I had the pleasure this summer of riding on a mountain bike trail (they weren't called mountain bikes back then) that I built 46 years ago. Just as much fun as the day we built it.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast