mtbr member
    Mar 2007

The First Time...

...I've had the pleasure of seeing this view on a trail in front of me.

The First Time...-img_1498_resize.jpg

I started riding trails in 1992 and have seen my share of mountain views and interesting wildlife. I've ridden with friends and I've ridden solo. I've had good days and bad, but none of my experiences on a bike have brought me more joy than taking my 6-year old boys on their first trail ride this past Sunday. What an awesome time with two of the most wonderful little guys in the world!
    Enjoy the ride!

'Tis but a scratch
    Awesome! Hope you have many more years of riding together.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I ride solo, with friends, and dabble in some racing. That said my biggest joys have been riding with my wife and four daughters. Awesome shot and enjoy the rides you will share in the future.

mtbr member
    Yep, it just doesn't get any better than that.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Awesome - first of many more rides to come!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    VERY Rad. I don't have any little ones yet, but already can't wait for *that* day. I love seeing kids out on the trails.

STOKE!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great post!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's awesome good job some parents just buy video games keep up the good parenting

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thank you for the kind words folks.

The best part about the day was that they asked to go...for about a year now. I didn't push them. Rather, I waited until I thought they were old enough to enjoy the ride without becoming frustrated. They absolutely loved it and I was smiling ear to ear the whole time.

It truly does feel great to share my passion and longest hobby with the two most important people in the world to me.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great thread, enjoy ur time together. It goes by WAY too fast.....mine are 30 & 25 now. LOl

Your site name, LBIkid....which LBI are you from?

mtbr member
    So awesome dude! Nothing in this world beats being a daddy! No amount of money nor object! Man, my son just turned 8. Goes by quick. I can't wait to take him out to an official off road trail. Thanks for sharing.
    2014 Cannondale Rush 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My twins are 15 now and we've been trail riding with them since they were 5 and they rode 16" pink beach cruisers with whitewall tires. Now one of them races and came in second in the state for freshman/sophomore girls and the other rides with us on training rides and hearing the two of them laughing while pushing each other behind me is a hoot. Any minute now it will be me behind them...

Inspector Gadget

The First Time...

I have a few of those shots this one is a couple years old. But it sure is a great feeling. My son was on a geared hotrock around 7, he is 10 now and on 26" wheels.

my daughter is almost 8 and on a girl powered 20" hotrock with double chainrings.

She's really starting to get into and we're doing 4-5mi of 'real' trails with her now. My wife got into riding when our son did.

I always praise other kids and parents when ever I encounter them

Keep up the good work!!!
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    That is just awesome! I'm getting ready to really teach mine to ride for the first time. Oddly he has never shown much interest until recently. I'm jumping on the opportunity before he changes his mind.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Woop woop TWINS!!! Mine are 20 months, and it's about time to get them a balance bike (and helmets, and pads, and Five-Ten shoes...okay, maybe the shoes are overkill).

Looking forward to the day that they smoke me on the uphills...hoping my (by then-developed) downhill skills will let me catch up on the backside.

Damn, kids are fun. Keep up the kid stoke!

Unpredictable
    Mine is now 18. On his first big ride (20km including a swim at the beach) we shot out the back of the house and onto farm trails so the little pug dog would not follow us. We were laughing and looking back thinking the little snuffler would come grunting and wheezing any moment resulting in Jack being taken out by a low hanging sugar cane stalk. It caught him mid chest and he did a perfect backflip onto his belly. Luckily he just laughed more.

Got home on dark with a tired and happy kid. The dog was missing and the misses was upset. The 2 of us searched around for quite a long time before we found him sitting, head down in a field of juvenile sugar cane. He must have followed our scent, but lost us when we crossed a drainage ditch. He had given up all hope and was apparently going to stay there until he died. It took quite some yelling to get him to come back to life, but all was good in the house and we went for a lot of rides after that. Lots less these days because of university etc.

Inspector Gadget

The First Time...

I had to get an updated picture yesterday on our family ride. Wife and kids ahead of me
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine's 10 now and has loved riding since he was 4. It's been nothing but awesome. BMX, skatepark, DJ, trails, DH...he's always been down for whatever. Best riding partner evah, and not to mention best built-in excuse to take off and go riding all the time that you could ever ask for (for the married among us).

Back when he was 7 (sticking with the photo theme).

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome part of being a parent. I have a 2 and a 3 year old currently sharing a strider. I'll be shopping soon for a bike for the three-year old..
    Can't wait to be able to take pics like these.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Finishing 4th at the World Cup a few days ago!

Happiest kid EVER!

mtbr member

great!

Can't wait to go riding with my kids too! They are just 4 and 2.

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Venue 11 Pro 5130 using Tapatalk

turtles make me hot
    The First Time...-pb260047.jpg

Not my son's first ride, but a great one and one I happen to have a picture of.

You're right, OP... It's the best first time out when they're riding a real trail.
    I like turtles

CDK
    mtbr member
    Finally got my 4 year old daughter out on a trail. We ride A LOT every day but almost all of the trails in the Phoenix area are pretty unforgiving and super loose and rocky so it is mainly on roads and canal paths.
    This ride today was 11.5 miles with maybe 2 being on the trail

The First Time...-mountain-biking9.jpg