mtbr member
    Aug 2014

First FS Bike and New to Clipless Pedals

So I recently got back into mountain biking and decided my old Trek 4300 wasn't cutting it anymore. I ordered and picked up a 2015 Trek Fuel EX 7 (27.5") this past Friday and the difference is absolutely incredible, nearly everything feels different.

I had clipless pedals installed for the first time on Friday, as well. I know there are many threads about clipless, but I felt very strange for most of my rides. In addition to learning all of the nuances on my new bike that my old 4300 never had (FS, hydraulic discs, etc...), I am trying to learn clipless also. My question:

Should I take off the clipless until I "learn" the new bike and install them later or should I just try to tough it out with the clipless now? Thank you for any replies.

mtbr member
    I vote keep it simple for a while and run them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That was my first thought. I felt like I was getting psyched out on the trail (not hitting obstacles the same, avoiding certain sections, slowing down when I normally wouldn't...).

Seemed as though I was only 'thinking' and not actually 'riding.'

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Practice on some grass ,get comfortable unclipping ,keep to easy trails .You should be ok.

mtbr member
    I remember my first time riding with clipless pedals. I fell in front of Wendy's with two females looking at me. I never practiced with them on. So to make a long story short....like ranger said. Practice on some grass until I get used to them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho View Post
    I vote keep it simple for a while and run them.
    Second that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah I would ride without them for a bit and then practice with them before hitting the trails again. My friend made that mistake and went straight to the trails. Long story short, he fell on his side during a climb and hit his hip on a rock. It wasn't pretty...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Defiantly stick to some basic trails for now practicing clipping in and out. I made the mistake of hitting the techy stuff with buddy's right away,,(pier pressure) and I was quite colorful and sore for several weeks. But it does get better and you will never go back,,, well never say never.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I went riding around the neighborhood last night, clipped in, and practiced a bit (starting/stopping, bunny hop, etc...). I felt a bit better, but I went ahead and ordered a set of platform pedals to use on the trails for a few rides.

It seems like a bit of a cop-out, but I'll go ahead and get acclimated to the new ride and then transition back to the clipless. Hurts the pride, but sometimes that's not a bad thing...

mtbr member
    Did you get the spd multi release cleats? It's a great way to get used to being clipped in. This really helped a buddy of mine.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    These are the ones I got at the shop:

VX Trail Race

They really aren't too bad getting in and out of. The LBS set them a bit looser so it would be easier.

mtbr member
    [Those look like great pedals.
    The cleats are what goes onto the bottom of your shoe. Google SPD multi release cleat. Jenson has them for $14.49 I believe. These will help a lot when you unexpectedly need to un-clip. The previous advice about practice is also key. Good luck.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ah, sorry. Completely missed the cleat part of your question. I'm not entirely sure what cleats are installed on the shoes I got, but I will most certainly take a look at the SPD multi release cleat. Thanks for insight.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Clipless pedals really aren't that difficult to learn. Just ride around for a day or two on flat terrain and get in and out of them over and over and over. It won't take long for it to become second nature.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mdr0430 View Post
    slowing down when I normally wouldn't...'
    That's what's going to make you crash. You need to practice with the clipless pedals on soft grass and easy trails. Practice the twisting motion. Falling at slow speed because you aren't carrying enough momentum through a section usually starts you falling over where you can't unclip because you lack the leverage to do so. Practice with the clipless pedals until you are confident on them, then hit those sections. Until then, unclip and walk past them. Slowing down or unclipping is usually a sure-fire way to crash on said sections.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdr0430 View Post
    I felt a bit better, but I went ahead and ordered a set of platform pedals to use on the trails for a few rides.
    Not a bad idea at all. Keep in mind that regardless of what most will tell you, you don't have to ride clipped-in. There are plenty of people that trail ride on platform pedals. It really comes down to preference and what feels most comfortable to you. I switched to riding flats a few years ago and haven't gone back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quick update: I finally took the new bike out again yesterday and used the clipless pedals, except this time I loosened the tension nearly all the way. I felt much more comfortable knowing that I hardly had to do anything to get unclipped. I also rode trails I've very familiar with.

Think I'll go ahead and keep at them for a few more rides, but plan on keeping the platforms anyways.

mtbr member
    I'm glad to hear that it's going well for you. Whatever works, keep enjoying the ride.
    18" rigid Unit