Gotta pay to play

Good job! Finally fixing that creaking noise passion

For the past month my wonderful bike has been creaking when I stand and mash (and since I ride a SS I pretty much stand and mash all the time). The sound drove me crazy and every steep hill had me wondering if my EBB was all out of wack.

I greased the pedals half a dozen times.
    I took apart the EBB and the BB twice and re-greased it.
    I checked and greased every pin on my pedals, every bolt in my chain ring, every bolt on my crank arms.
    I checked all the bolts on my headset, brakes, stem.

Finally I gave up. I realized my bike was always going to creak- until it eventually broke and in the act of breaking, would reveal the secret to what was causing the problem. I was looking forward to that day.

Last night I decided to change my seat out. I had a orange leather Brooks that my wife got me for my birthday a few years ago. I had no particular reason to switch, I just wanted to try a harder/thinner saddle for a while.

I put the new saddle on (WTB Thinline) and tested the seat post height.

CREAK

Yes my friends. It was my seatpost. Actually- it was the bolt on my seatpost clamp that needed a bit of grease (the seatpost I had greased many months ago and was still doing okay). I would have never thought it was the seat post clamp. I only heard it when I was standing. Crazy.

Today my ride sounded wonderful. Just the sound of my fat tires churning the earth, the chain spinning, and my labored breathing. Shaved 2 minutes off of my 4.5 mile loop time.

mtbr member
    Nothing better! Congrats!

mtbr member
    glad you found that creak. I Hate creaks lol
    I wouldn't have lasted that long. as soon as i hear it ill spend all night till i find it

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have those nasty bastards on both my bikes, the one comes and goes but I think its my head set, not sure how to remedy that one. It was all greased when I pressed the cups into the frame. I hope its not the shock its self, uggg that would suck.

mtbr member
    Ok Im not the pro, but my buddy is. Here's the list i go through

Seat bolts
    Seat clamp
    Shock bolts
    Handlebar bolt
    Stem bolts
    Rear wheel skewer
    Derailer hanger bolt
    Derailer mount bolt
    Suspension Bolts
    Bottom braket

At this point I know which of the above is most common on my bike, top shock bolt needs grease, bottom suspension bolt needs grease and tighten

High Desert MTBer
    I went thru this a few weeks ago too... what a joy when you pin it down!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Glad you figured it out...very frustrating, especially on a ss which should be so quiet.

Surprised, though, that the creaking came from the seatpost when you were standing...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Finally fixing that creaking noise passion

It's like hunting that pesky lone cricket in your house. Drives me nuts when my bike makes any noises.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Prior to the last race I did I 'lubed' the seatpost with anti-seize, my thinking was that it would be less slick than grease, I haven't had a problem with seatpost-sink on this bike but tried it anyway. Not too long into the race my post was creaking like crazy, -no sneaking up on anybody that day. A guy I was chasing (and did not catch) told me later he was using the creaking sound as a gauge for how close I was. The upside is that I didn't surprise any bears or other wildlife on the trail. When I removed the seatpost there was a nice little polished spot in front at the frame slit. A little grease and it's all quiet now, ahh.