mtbr member
    Jan 2004

File this under "Idiot of the year"

The weekend was supposed to be great. My brother and I were driving up from San Francisco to meet with a friend from Humboldt, in Boonville. The 9th annual Boonville Beer Festival was happening, and we weren't going to miss it!
    The weather called for rain off and on all wekeend, but we were blesssed from the beer God's and had perfect weather for the actual festival itself. 30+ breweries from Humboldt to San Diego were representing. Some FANTASTIC IPA's were present as well as a variety of good ale's and lagers. We all drank quite a bit as there was a shuttle from the campground (Hendy Campground) to the festival and back, so we did not have to worry about driving.
    Back at the campground and feeling nicely "buzzed" to put it mildly we start playing catch with our football and drinking some beers at the site. A girl walks by who was camping next to us and goes "Hey I would be careful if I were you, that's poison oak right next to you" I look down and clearly it is NOT Poison Oak, so I kinda laugh it off and she says "I am serious, I have a Ecology degree, I know that is poison oak". I look at it again, my brother and friend clearly agree, it is NOT Poison Oak. So just to prove a point, I grab a handful of it in my hand and start ripping it to pieces "THIS IS NOT POISON OAK!" Confident, for I just told off a Ecology major!

Fast forward to the next day.....

I wake up feeling slightly hungover, and notice a little red blotch on my knuckle. I think "hmmm mosquito bite". On the drive home, I notice some redness on my arm....and a little on my face "hmmmm damn mosquitos".

Fast forward to the next day (this morning). Body COMPLETELY covered, itching like crazy....my lips are almost sealed shut. Face is swollen like I had just been stung by a bee. Frantically I do a little research on the internet (after calling my doctor) Oh my God. That stuff I grabbed by the handful wasn't poison oak, but it was definately poison IVY!!!

Got my Prednisone, and hoping for a somewhat speedy recovery. I am a freakin mess.

Hey at least I proved her wrong, it wasnt poison oak

bonkin' clyde

Its all good

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    The weekend was supposed to be great. My brother and I were driving up from San Francisco to meet with a friend from Humboldt, in Boonville. The 9th annual Boonville Beer Festival was happening, and we weren't going to miss it!
    The weather called for rain off and on all wekeend, but we were blesssed from the beer God's and had perfect weather for the actual festival itself. 30+ breweries from Humboldt to San Diego were representing. Some FANTASTIC IPA's were present as well as a variety of good ale's and lagers. We all drank quite a bit as there was a shuttle from the campground (Hendy Campground) to the festival and back, so we did not have to worry about driving.
    Back at the campground and feeling nicely "buzzed" to put it mildly we start playing catch with our football and drinking some beers at the site. A girl walks by who was camping next to us and goes "Hey I would be careful if I were you, that's poison oak right next to you" I look down and clearly it is NOT Poison Oak, so I kinda laugh it off and she says "I am serious, I have a Ecology degree, I know that is poison oak". I look at it again, my brother and friend clearly agree, it is NOT Poison Oak. So just to prove a point, I grab a handful of it in my hand and start ripping it to pieces "THIS IS NOT POISON OAK!" Confident, for I just told off a Ecology major!

I wake up feeling slightly hungover, and notice a little red blotch on my knuckle. I think "hmmm mosquito bite". On the drive home, I notice some redness on my arm....and a little on my face "hmmmm damn mosquitos".

Fast forward to the next day (this morning). Body COMPLETELY covered, itching like crazy....my lips are almost sealed shut. Face is swollen like I had just been stung by a bee. Frantically I do a little research on the internet (after calling my doctor) Oh my God. That stuff I grabbed by the handful wasn't poison oak, but it was definately poison IVY!!!

Got my Prednisone, and hoping for a somewhat speedy recovery. I am a freakin mess.

I drove 10 mins away from home into the 25 minute drive to the trailhead, realized I forgot my topeak toolset and patch kit so I headed back, then went on to the trailhead and realized my riding shoes and socks were still at home....I still got in a 5 hr ride after going back and getting the stuff though.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Feeling a little taller
    That was a pretty drunkenly stupid act, but a funny story.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Perpetually single track
    I've done some stupid shiznit it my day whilst intoxicated, 95% of which I will never share with a living soul. 85% of course I don't actually remember because I was so damn hammered...thks for sharing, there are those among us who truly do appreciate it.

Juan de Fluco IV

Live long and prosper

mtbr member
    Yeah, I guess you showed her.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

bi-winning
    i love it! made me laugh. identifying poison ivy can be tough. around southern ontario, there are so many plants that look similar to it. poison oak, i think i need to do a google image search on that one

anyway, at least you were right!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Old School
    Mar 2005

Anyone ever do this stupid one....

Build a little ramp at the edge of the fire ring and huck one over the bonfire?
    It seemd pretty fun while the tequilla was flowing... but had no hair left on one leg the next day.

Gawd... why do beer and tequilla make us do stupid [but fun] stuff ?

Don

pedaller

Now that's a picture...

I'd love to see!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Cut Casing Whisperer
    That is a laugh!

Somewhere on the internet, there is a thread on some ecology forum, about seeing some drunk guys and some poison ivy....lol.

Thanks for being man enough to post a funny story about yourself. Hats off.

Mr. P

Glad to Be Alive
    oh man...if only the girl could read this post now
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

don't try this at home
    i didn't think we had poison ivy in this part of the country. same thing with sumac.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    oh man...if only the girl could read this post now
    LOL, I could just see HER post..."and I told this drunkin idiot that I was an ECOLOGY majior and he was in poison oak and he grabbed a hand full and rubs it all OVER himself".

LOL !!! Well, to tell the truth, I was afeared that your story was gonna end up with you actually EATING the s#!t, so.....I guess it COULD've been worse . I feel your pain...having poison oak/ivy/sumac/whatever covering a significant portion of one's body is definitely NOT fun, by any means.... Dont worry, there's a large number of folks who have drunken skeletons in their closets...LOL

No unpermitted erections

Do a search...

...of this site for Zanfel. It's expensive, but you'll thank me later.

fp

i worship Mr T
    could be worse. you could have rubbed it all over a towel then taken off your shorts & boxers and wrapped the towel around your waist and sat on it for an hour or two.

not that i've ever done anything like that....

while sober.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

No unpermitted erections
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    could be worse. you could have rubbed it all over a towel then taken off your shorts & boxers and wrapped the towel around your waist and sat on it for an hour or two.

not that i've ever done anything like that....

while sober.

rt
    That's hot.

fp

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    That's hot.

fp
    no. it was itchy.

rt
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I guess you proved at least one "authority" on poison Ivy wrong

Where does Poison Ivy grow?

Poison Ivy grows everywhere in the United States and southern Canada. However, it does not grow in the far west, deserts and at high altitude.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    I guess you proved at least one "authority" on poison Ivy wrong

Where does Poison Ivy grow?

Poison Ivy grows everywhere in the United States and southern Canada. However, it does not grow in the far west, deserts and at high altitude.
    Yep, it's poison oak in california.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...of this site for Zanfel. It's expensive, but you'll thank me later.

fp
    How much is JFR paying you to spam his product on mtbr?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What a great age you're at. Bragging about being stupid/foolish/ignorantadinfinitum. Oh to be young dumb and full of _ _ _.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Um

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    What a great age you're at. Bragging about being stupid/foolish/ignorantadinfinitum. Oh to be young dumb and full of _ _ _.
    Listen here you fat bastard. Pete made you look ridiculous and you left for a few weeks, maybe it's time for another bashing.

Dork

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Oh to be young dumb and full of _ _ _.
    Two outta three ain't bad.

orthonormal
    Listen here you fat bastard. Pete made you look ridiculous and you left for a few weeks, maybe it's time for another bashing.

Dork
    He's perfectly capable of making himself look ridiculous without Pete's help.

Hairshirt Rider
    So just to prove a point, I grab a handful of it in my hand and start ripping it to pieces "THIS IS NOT POISON OAK!"
    Are you sure this wasn't preceded by you saying, "OK sunshine, hold my beer and watch this!"

new and improved

Lol

I just pissed myself a little.

You showed her, 'rah!

;-)

Medium?

Not Poison Ivy

http://www.ivystat.com/plant-map.htm

I got something up at Coe the other day that was similar to Poison Oak, but I don't get Poison Oak, at least I never have before. I was always the scout who the sent in for the ball/frisbee/whatever. The plant I suspect looked a little like poison oak (leaves of three...), but the leaves were bigger and all green, like poison ivy.
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-10-2005 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yea

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    http://www.ivystat.com/plant-map.htm

I got something up at Coe the other day that was similar to Poison Oak, but I don't get Poison Oak, at least I never have before. I was always the scout who the sent in for the ball/frisbee/whatever. The plant I suspect looked a little like poison oak (leaves of three...), but the leaves were bigger and all green, like poison ivy.

this definately was NOT poison oak, id post a picture if i could figure out how leaves of 3, flat, all green, NOT shiny at all, with little jagged ridges along the edges. From all I could research it pointed to Poison Ivy, but I guess that doesnt seem to be possible? So I dont know what the hell it was. Damn beer

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

trying to post picture...

lets see if this works

this is what it was......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tree Hugger
    lets see if this works

Dude, It was Poison oak. Just accept that the Ecology chick was right

I know my Poison Oak/Ivy and can guarantee you that if you were in California near the coast, it had to be Poison Oak. Toxidendron diversiloba.

The Genus name, "Toxicodendron" is the same for Poison Oak, Sumac and Ivy, and warns you of the Toxic nature of the Urushiol Oil that the plant uses as a defense mechanism against grazing. (The old Genus name was Rhus, which is the Genus name of true Sumacs)

The species name "diversiloba" is a tribute to the incredible amount of diversity in leaf form for the species. It can hide well to the untrained eye, but after a while, you will be able to pick it out 95% of the time. I recognize it immediately based on the stems, and the way the buds look, but that's cause I'm an ecology dude myself.

When I moved from California to oregon, I found that the plant grew more aggresively up here, and can actually climb 30-40 feet up into trees ( I used to think only Poison Ivy could climb trees)
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 05-10-2005 at 07:04 PM.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

Custom User Title
    lets see if this works

"Leaves of three leave them be."

Looks like poison oak to me.

banned
    Apr 2004

The Oak is some tricky shet

you'll learn how to avoid or at least minimize it once you get it bad a few times.

What ever you do, sanitize or discard your clothes and gear that got exposed, the oil still lingers on stuff.
    Try not to scratch though it won't spred anymore that way after a good shower, cold water ASAP but it's to late for that this time.
    As far as relief the pills and cream from the doctor helps and over the counter stuff helps a bit but what I find kills the itch at least long enough to get some sleep is scalding hot shower water on the affected areas burns and itches like hell for a minute, then hours of relief.

I have a freind who is immune to the stuff or damn lucky.

ever forward

21 days

Sounds like you're having a systemic reaction. You're in for 21 days of hell. Good luck to you. I just finished a bout with it. Went through $120 worth of Zanfel.
    ever forward..., and sometimes kinda sideways

Thanks for sharing, that was pretty funny even though you're going to be paying for it for a while (some of the best stories are paid in pain though, eh?). I can only imagine how many times that gal has told the story by now. Sure am glad I'm not sensitive to it, as I have a hard time identifying it sometimes too (that was very interesting about the name diversiloba, that makes me feel like less of an idiot). Good luck in finding something to alleviate the itching that works for you...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Man Poison Ivy/Oak really suck.

My roomate once walked through poison ivy and didn't know it. He washed his pants right before my load of laundry. He ended up with itchy balls, I ended up with itchy everything.

MTB B'dos
    Ouch, we've all done stuff that rates up there on the stupidity ladder while under the influence, but most would never tell. Question is was she a hot Ecology major, you caould have gotten taking to her about how she knew it was poison oak and maybe had a better night
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Hail to the King, baby

Yup!!

lets see if this works

That's poison ivy alright.

We have it growing everywhere around here.

We must be the poison ivy capital of the world. I had never seen so much poison ivy in one area, until I moved here. There used to be some in the Highland Creek ravine, Scarberia, when I a kid, but nothing like this!

For years it kept me from going in the woods, until I realized that the ubiquitous carpet of poison ivy in all the ditches, does not so completely cover the forest floor. Once you get past the ditches and the initial trees, deeper into the woods, there is much less of it. I guess it does not get enough sun under the forest canopy. It tends to grow more where the sun gets through, open areas, with less trees.

There are places where I ride through forest glades, that the poison ivy is thick on either side of the single track. You don't want to wander or fall there.

Socks are a must. In the summer, I just keep my socks pulled up and avoid stopping in places where it is thickest. If I even suspect that I might have touched some poison ivy, I immediately wash with Sunlight dish soap, when I get home. I have had a few showers with Sunlight dish soap. LOL

I avoid touching my tires, since I ride over poison ivy all the time, and you can get a rash from the sap, that is left on the tires.

Knock on wood, I haven't contracted a poison ivy rash in many years.

BTW, here is a picture of poison oak. Notice the more rounded leaves. Poison ivy leaves are more pointy.

old_dude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old_dude; 05-11-2005 at 06:29 AM.
    Parties are a cancer on democracy.

Parties are like *****. Any gets in, you're f'cked.

A party vote IS a wasted vote.

mtbr member

Me too...

Mine isn't as bad as yours, but I have what seems to be the slowest spreading and longest lingering case of poison ivy I've ever run into. I'm going on three weeks and ITS STILL SHOWING UP IN NEW PLACES. It showed up three days after I would have come into contact with it, but don't know if it was in the backyard or out in the woods.

Anyhow, I found this website a while ago: http://www.poison-ivy.org/ Reading through the website, it basically tells you that poison ivy is pretty hard to identify. (Of course, that doesn't help with poison oak). However, the site has some good suggestions such as buying a goat to eat the poison ivy, etc. And for fun, check out the Grody Poison Ivy Rash Hall of Fame.

I'm here to help.

Wave Maker / Pot Stirrer
    Apr 2005

... and if we just ... Story was great!!

Laughed my rear off. Sounds like something that would happen here. We've got all four of the "Fun" plants here: Poison Oak, Sumac, Ivy and Prickly Heat. I'm no Ecology major, so I don't know what the real name of that last stuff is, but it sucks the worst. You break out almost immediately, and if you're hot and sweaty, you're gonna be hating life for about 3 days. Luckily, most of the really good trails here are in the desert. So, nothing to worry about except: rangefires, rattlesnakes, and dehydration. LOL!
    Rampage

~ Beware the good assumptions in life; the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been to Hendy Woods a bunch of times and I know the plant you're talking about. It looks a bit different under the redwoods, kinda low to the ground and much less woody than in the oak forests, but none the less still poision oak.
    Once canoeing along the Russian River north of Healdsburg I saw a guy trying to rope swing into the river on a poision oak vine as thick as your arm. I told him it was poision oak but he was convinced it wasn't. I wonder how he felt the next day. Well at least he had the water to help rinse the oils off.