Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

File this under "Idiot of the year"

The weekend was supposed to be great. My brother and I were driving up from San Francisco to meet with a friend from Humboldt, in Boonville. The 9th annual Boonville Beer Festival was happening, and we weren't going to miss it!
    The weather called for rain off and on all wekeend, but we were blesssed from the beer God's and had perfect weather for the actual festival itself. 30+ breweries from Humboldt to San Diego were representing. Some FANTASTIC IPA's were present as well as a variety of good ale's and lagers. We all drank quite a bit as there was a shuttle from the campground (Hendy Campground) to the festival and back, so we did not have to worry about driving.
    Back at the campground and feeling nicely "buzzed" to put it mildly we start playing catch with our football and drinking some beers at the site. A girl walks by who was camping next to us and goes "Hey I would be careful if I were you, that's poison oak right next to you" I look down and clearly it is NOT Poison Oak, so I kinda laugh it off and she says "I am serious, I have a Ecology degree, I know that is poison oak". I look at it again, my brother and friend clearly agree, it is NOT Poison Oak. So just to prove a point, I grab a handful of it in my hand and start ripping it to pieces "THIS IS NOT POISON OAK!" Confident, for I just told off a Ecology major!

Fast forward to the next day.....

I wake up feeling slightly hungover, and notice a little red blotch on my knuckle. I think "hmmm mosquito bite". On the drive home, I notice some redness on my arm....and a little on my face "hmmmm damn mosquitos".

Fast forward to the next day (this morning). Body COMPLETELY covered, itching like crazy....my lips are almost sealed shut. Face is swollen like I had just been stung by a bee. Frantically I do a little research on the internet (after calling my doctor) Oh my God. That stuff I grabbed by the handful wasn't poison oak, but it was definately poison IVY!!!

Got my Prednisone, and hoping for a somewhat speedy recovery. I am a freakin mess.

Hey at least I proved her wrong, it wasnt poison oak

bonkin' clyde

Its all good

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    The weekend was supposed to be great. My brother and I were driving up from San Francisco to meet with a friend from Humboldt, in Boonville. The 9th annual Boonville Beer Festival was happening, and we weren't going to miss it!
    The weather called for rain off and on all wekeend, but we were blesssed from the beer God's and had perfect weather for the actual festival itself. 30+ breweries from Humboldt to San Diego were representing. Some FANTASTIC IPA's were present as well as a variety of good ale's and lagers. We all drank quite a bit as there was a shuttle from the campground (Hendy Campground) to the festival and back, so we did not have to worry about driving.
    Back at the campground and feeling nicely "buzzed" to put it mildly we start playing catch with our football and drinking some beers at the site. A girl walks by who was camping next to us and goes "Hey I would be careful if I were you, that's poison oak right next to you" I look down and clearly it is NOT Poison Oak, so I kinda laugh it off and she says "I am serious, I have a Ecology degree, I know that is poison oak". I look at it again, my brother and friend clearly agree, it is NOT Poison Oak. So just to prove a point, I grab a handful of it in my hand and start ripping it to pieces "THIS IS NOT POISON OAK!" Confident, for I just told off a Ecology major!

I wake up feeling slightly hungover, and notice a little red blotch on my knuckle. I think "hmmm mosquito bite". On the drive home, I notice some redness on my arm....and a little on my face "hmmmm damn mosquitos".

Fast forward to the next day (this morning). Body COMPLETELY covered, itching like crazy....my lips are almost sealed shut. Face is swollen like I had just been stung by a bee. Frantically I do a little research on the internet (after calling my doctor) Oh my God. That stuff I grabbed by the handful wasn't poison oak, but it was definately poison IVY!!!

Got my Prednisone, and hoping for a somewhat speedy recovery. I am a freakin mess.

I drove 10 mins away from home into the 25 minute drive to the trailhead, realized I forgot my topeak toolset and patch kit so I headed back, then went on to the trailhead and realized my riding shoes and socks were still at home....I still got in a 5 hr ride after going back and getting the stuff though.
    My bed comforts my body. Sleep comforts my mind. The trail comforts my soul. And without a soul, what is a body anyway?

Feeling a little taller
    That was a pretty drunkenly stupid act, but a funny story.
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Perpetually single track
    I've done some stupid shiznit it my day whilst intoxicated, 95% of which I will never share with a living soul. 85% of course I don't actually remember because I was so damn hammered...thks for sharing, there are those among us who truly do appreciate it.

Juan de Fluco IV

Live long and prosper

mtbr member
    Yeah, I guess you showed her.

bi-winning
    i love it! made me laugh. identifying poison ivy can be tough. around southern ontario, there are so many plants that look similar to it. poison oak, i think i need to do a google image search on that one

anyway, at least you were right!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Old School
    Mar 2005

Anyone ever do this stupid one....

Build a little ramp at the edge of the fire ring and huck one over the bonfire?
    It seemd pretty fun while the tequilla was flowing... but had no hair left on one leg the next day.

Gawd... why do beer and tequilla make us do stupid [but fun] stuff ?

Don

pedaller

Now that's a picture...

I'd love to see!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

eBiker
    That is a laugh!

Somewhere on the internet, there is a thread on some ecology forum, about seeing some drunk guys and some poison ivy....lol.

Thanks for being man enough to post a funny story about yourself. Hats off.

Mr. P

Glad to Be Alive
    oh man...if only the girl could read this post now
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

don't try this at home
    i didn't think we had poison ivy in this part of the country. same thing with sumac.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    oh man...if only the girl could read this post now
    LOL, I could just see HER post..."and I told this drunkin idiot that I was an ECOLOGY majior and he was in poison oak and he grabbed a hand full and rubs it all OVER himself".

LOL !!! Well, to tell the truth, I was afeared that your story was gonna end up with you actually EATING the s#!t, so.....I guess it COULD've been worse . I feel your pain...having poison oak/ivy/sumac/whatever covering a significant portion of one's body is definitely NOT fun, by any means.... Dont worry, there's a large number of folks who have drunken skeletons in their closets...LOL

Sweat is just fat crying.

Do a search...

...of this site for Zanfel. It's expensive, but you'll thank me later.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

i worship Mr T
    could be worse. you could have rubbed it all over a towel then taken off your shorts & boxers and wrapped the towel around your waist and sat on it for an hour or two.

not that i've ever done anything like that....

while sober.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    could be worse. you could have rubbed it all over a towel then taken off your shorts & boxers and wrapped the towel around your waist and sat on it for an hour or two.

not that i've ever done anything like that....

while sober.

rt
    That's hot.

fp
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    That's hot.

fp
    no. it was itchy.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I guess you proved at least one "authority" on poison Ivy wrong

Where does Poison Ivy grow?

Poison Ivy grows everywhere in the United States and southern Canada. However, it does not grow in the far west, deserts and at high altitude.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    I guess you proved at least one "authority" on poison Ivy wrong

Where does Poison Ivy grow?

Poison Ivy grows everywhere in the United States and southern Canada. However, it does not grow in the far west, deserts and at high altitude.
    Yep, it's poison oak in california.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    ...of this site for Zanfel. It's expensive, but you'll thank me later.

fp
    How much is JFR paying you to spam his product on mtbr?
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What a great age you're at. Bragging about being stupid/foolish/ignorantadinfinitum. Oh to be young dumb and full of _ _ _.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Um

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    What a great age you're at. Bragging about being stupid/foolish/ignorantadinfinitum. Oh to be young dumb and full of _ _ _.
    Listen here you fat bastard. Pete made you look ridiculous and you left for a few weeks, maybe it's time for another bashing.

Dork

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Oh to be young dumb and full of _ _ _.
    Two outta three ain't bad.

orthonormal
    Listen here you fat bastard. Pete made you look ridiculous and you left for a few weeks, maybe it's time for another bashing.

Dork
    He's perfectly capable of making himself look ridiculous without Pete's help.

Hairshirt Rider
    So just to prove a point, I grab a handful of it in my hand and start ripping it to pieces "THIS IS NOT POISON OAK!"
    Are you sure this wasn't preceded by you saying, "OK sunshine, hold my beer and watch this!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast