Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    FFTF: Interesting View

    I just finished stopping in at my (previoiusly) local oil change place in the Grand Valley and had an interesting encounter while waiting for my truck. There was a late 50ish woman with a lapdog in her lap, waiting as well. After a few minutes of silence, I decided to comment on the wonderful weather here. The conversation progressed a little and then she turned it to the invasion of mountain bikers who were descending on her little burg. She sounded a little bitter when she myopically expressed disdain for the closure of East Aspen St. for the FFTF this year. It seems that a small mom & pop flower shop on the closed section might have their Mother's Day business interrupted some because of the festivities. Sure, it's an inconvenience for the flower shop, but the overall shot in the arm that Fruita gets from the FFTF greatly overshadows any one business' minor inconvenience. When I moved to Fruita ten years ago, Fruita was turning into a ghost town/minor bedroom community for Grand Junction. Now it's a thriving and prosperous community due to a man's vision and the help from a small group of demented mountain bikers who believed in that vision. I hope that when this woman goes to sell her home in Fruita that she bought 20 years ago for ten thousand dollars and gets two hundred thousand for, remembers who helped make that possible instead of a flower shop's minor inconvenience.

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: Drewdane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,060
    I don't disagree, but if I were a florist I'd probably consider losing out on Mother's Day business more than a minor inconvenience. I imagine that's a flower shop's biggest day (except maybe Feb. 14).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I don't disagree, but if I were a florist I'd probably consider losing out on Mother's Day business more than a minor inconvenience. I imagine that's a flower shop's biggest day (except maybe Feb. 14).
    I don't know about that. If they had any smarts, they could use this invasion of visitors to their advantage the same way the local restaraunts and hotels do. Maye a sign out front that says "Don't forget to take flowers home to your mother/wife. 10% off for anyone wearing a bike helmet".

  4. #4
    Whatever! Just crash it!
    Reputation: Objectionable Material's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    662
    I've been to FFTF a few times and I'm in Fruita riding 3-4 times per year. One of the reasons I love the town is that the locals seem to be pretty cool about a bunch of mountain bike mutants coming to town to ride and spend money. They don't always know how to react to us, but over the last 8 or 9 years that I've been riding there, I've never encountered someone that wasn't polite and 90% of the time, they go out of their way to make me feel welcome. You can't say that for the Washington, DC area. You pretty much will encounter someone who is rude and wants you to leave every time you open your eyes.

    My wonderful Fruita experience last week happened at the City Market. The very pleasant woman who was helping people with self-serve checkout came up to suggest a sale. She said, "Ice and Firewood are very popular items with people like you." Her choice of words made me laugh, but her sentiment was genuine. Had someone said that to me in DC, I would have reacted a little differently.

    I love the locals in Fruita and do my best to make sure we continue to be welcome there.

    Thanks for posting up.

    Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

    Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

  5. #5
    Kearsarge crawler
    Reputation: minkhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    I think this type of situation is common in many towns across the country. For every person you can't please there are 5 that you can. I just wonder how many less people are going to use the flower shop than if the street was open. I would think that is going to be a very busy street.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    details

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I don't disagree, but if I were a florist I'd probably consider losing out on Mother's Day business more than a minor inconvenience. I imagine that's a flower shop's biggest day (except maybe Feb. 14).
    I failed to mention that the sidewalk in front of the flower shop was open the whole festival and now on Sunday, the street is open. It was obvious all along that this person's biggest problem seemed to be that E Aspen was closed and her daily drive to City Market for cigarettes was interrrupted by a minor detour.

  7. #7
    super absorbent
    Reputation: ChipAllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    215
    Some people like their towns small, quiet and uninterupted by the outside world. To these people, the economic windfall may not be worth the hustle and bustle of strangers taking over their downtown streets. Although this woman claimed that she was losing financially, it sounds like just an excuse and a nice way of saying, "I wish all of you smelly bikers would just go away and give me back my peace and quiet".
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

  8. #8
    My post is that way --->
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Good timing.

    We wanted to send some flowers to Krista and Kristy at the Stonehaven to thank them for their hospitality all week. If your oil change woman hadn't been such a cow, we would have forgotten about the flower shop right there on Aspen.
    Wibble

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaveX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    She sounded a little bitter.
    haha... pot kettle black

    Holy Cross -- Thanks Sarah

  10. #10
    My post is that way --->
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    haha... pot kettle black

    Holy Cross -- Thanks Sarah

    Eh?!

    I think you've misunderstood something.
    Wibble

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DaveX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Eh?!

    I think you've misunderstood something.
    Seemed bitter to me.

  12. #12
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,316
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I just finished stopping in at my (previoiusly) local oil change place in the Grand Valley and had an interesting encounter while waiting for my truck.
    JD - I believe that mentality is prevalent in all the little towns in the area. When my family moved to Dgo 20 years ago, the whole place was in recession and 1/2 the shops on main were deserted. Now it's a tourist mecca and everyone likes to complain about "The noise from the motorcycle festival" or closing off main for the downtown criteriums, or The Smoke from The Train.

    People only have direct line-of-sight gratitude for these events. Sure the flower business might not make much money from FFTF, but they can't see that events like that indirectly cause them to be in business at all. If it weren't for the events; there wouldn't be anyone to buy flowers in the first place. Biting the hand that feeds the hand that feeds the hand....

    She does have a point about mothers day though. Except for Valentines day, there is probably no more significant day to her year as a business.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,297

    I guess this is an appropriate place for my rant

    This is the 5th FFTF I've been to, I think my first was 7 or 8 years ago.
    Last year a group of us tried to get something to eat in town on Fri/Sat nite after 9:00 during the festival. Nothing was open.
    This year, on Thursday, FBC was out of Pasta and salads by 7:30. On Friday at 9:15 all they had left were burgers. On Saturday, Dominos thought they were out of XL pizza's (how can you be out of a size???) Later on Saturday we ate at the mexican place near I-70, all was well there.

    The hotels do a great job, as do the event organizers and OTE, but the resturants on Main continue to dissappoint and have always been poorly prepared.

    Quick shoutout to the d&%kheads who flew past me and the beginner boys on Rustler's Loop. A race-like attitude on Rustlers? Losers!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  14. #14
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    The angst is strong in this thread.

  15. #15
    user-created
    Reputation: singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    On Saturday, Dominos thought they were out of XL pizza's (how can you be out of a size???)
    The dough comes pre-made and size specific. FBC is very new, give them a chance to get their act together.

    Otherwise, there's a rather large city just to the east of Fruita were you can get anything from sandwiches to sushi.

    I really like Starvin Arvin's in Fruita myself, but not everybody wants to hang around a truckstop. I like chopped and formed beef snacks too, go figure.


    On a topical note, the flower shop thing is an interesting point... that's gotta be about the only local bussiness that could possibly not benefit from FFTF, given the timing with m-day and all.

  16. #16
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    FBC is very new, give them a chance to get their act together.
    I was pleasantly surprised with the beer there saturday. It wasn't flat like last time I was there. And bonus, FBC had a night scene after the fest band finished.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    70

    Funny about small towns

    JD, most towns look for something to put them on the map. Then they get respectible and forget what made them rich and comfortible. I think you are in CA now, but I was to your house that you were renting in Fruita. If you have moved out it is probably going for double since, if I were the landlord, I would not have the courage to raise your rent. Hope you are well. Lois is back on a bike this weekend.

    Bruce

  18. #18
    user-created
    Reputation: singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I was pleasantly surprised with the beer there saturday. It wasn't flat like last time I was there.
    Unlike the other brewery... I love the Rockslide, but their swill will make fire shoot out your ass. I'm not one to turn down a drink special, but I'll forgo their $2 happy hour pints for a $3.25 Budweiser.

    Lion Vibes, the band at FBC has a strong local following, alot of the folks there weren't cyclists per say, but made the drive down to see the band for the 30th time. The tall guy with the dreads that was playing Sax is one of the founding members of the Mesa State Cycling Team as well.

    I'm dissapointed that the Boner Donors didn't make a repeat appearance as well, but maybe they came off as a *bit* offensive last time....

  19. #19
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Lion Vibes, the band at FBC has a strong local following, alot of the folks there weren't cyclists per say, but made the drive down to see the band for the 30th time. The tall guy with the dreads that was playing Sax is one of the founding members of the Mesa State Cycling Team as well.
    ..
    Indeed, they made a good finish for the boulder local favorite Kan'nal, who I though did a great job at the tent.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    The dough comes pre-made and size specific. FBC is very new, give them a chance to get their act together.

    Otherwise, there's a rather large city just to the east of Fruita were you can get anything from sandwiches to sushi.

    I really like Starvin Arvin's in Fruita myself, but not everybody wants to hang around a truckstop. I like chopped and formed beef snacks too, go figure.
    Fair enough, though they could combine dough.
    Subway was well prepared, and I really like the beer at FBC, just disappointed in the lack of preparation.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  21. #21
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,968
    Actually, the street and parking lot next to the flower shop were never closed.

  22. #22
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,968
    Makes me want to print this out to give to the local businesses. There were a couple restaurants that were well prepared, Fiesta Guadalajara (they love mountainbikers), and Diorio's (better pizza than Domino's any day, soon to change it's name).

  23. #23
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Makes me want to print this out to give to the local businesses. There were a couple restaurants that were well prepared, Fiesta Guadalajara (they love mountainbikers), and Diorio's (better pizza than Domino's any day, soon to change it's name).
    I trust Jen to keep it great! Congrats to her.

    And actually guadalarjara has really good chorizo con huevos and carne asada.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    guadalarjara has really good chorizo con huevos and carne asada.

    Yeah, but do they have Velvet Fighting Cocks?
    b

  25. #25
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Yeah, but do they have Velvet Fighting Cocks?
    OMG..almost forgot....thanks for the lead-in..

    Paco's, Moab, UT. Mexican Cultural experience.




    ...and Joe, sorry about he crappy expectations. It's about the experience and laughter sometimes. I'm sure you've recovered by now.

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    another enters the leg-humping realm

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    haha... pot kettle black

    Holy Cross -- Thanks Sarah
    You can get off my leg now, muttley and after that, go eat a moldy Kudos bar.

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    good stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ellsworth
    JD, most towns look for something to put them on the map. Then they get respectible and forget what made them rich and comfortible. I think you are in CA now, but I was to your house that you were renting in Fruita. If you have moved out it is probably going for double since, if I were the landlord, I would not have the courage to raise your rent. Hope you are well. Lois is back on a bike this weekend.

    Bruce
    Good to hear from you and that Lois is doing well, Bruce. Lee came over on Wednesday and rode with Jon and me in the Bookcliffs. It was a fantastic week all around. Great friends, trails, food, beer and all-around fun.

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    you missed

    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    Quick shoutout to the d&%kheads who flew past me and the beginner boys on Rustler's Loop. A race-like attitude on Rustlers? Losers!
    Craig, your name was called in a drawing on Saturday night d you missed out on a new Fox Talas fork. DOH!

    As far as speeding dilweeds on Rustlers, they were only there because they can't ride Moore Fun without walking moore than riding. Don't be angry with them, pity them.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockyonekc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    I really like the beer at FBC, just disappointed in the lack of preparation.
    The owner of the brewery told our group that he lost half his staff leading up to the festival. They had to hire in quickly, but were doing their best. They were late bringing one plate to our table(and overall pretty slow), but he comp'd the victim his steak dinner, as well as another round of excellent beer for the whole group. He definately tried to make it right.

    Dave in KC

  30. #30
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    You might want to talk to the coffee shop place across the street from your store too. We walked in there Thursday afternoon to buy some pre-ride munchies just as he was locking up the doors at 1:30pm. He was sold out of everything to make a sandwich so we ended up buying muffins & cookies. While were paying there was a constant stream of customers trying to come in. He said he wasn't prepaired for the festival.

    It has been happening at the same time of the year for 10 years...

    He was nice about it, but we would have spent a lot more money there if he could have made a sandwichs.

    We also stopped by there Sunday morning at 7:00am (a normal time for a coffee shop to be open) as we were starting the drive home, closed.

    People will buy stuff if you are open and have stuff to sell.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~

    BTW, no ill effects from eating at Pancho Villa twice.

    We did go to the Rib City Cafe on the other side of the freeway for dinner Sat. night and weren't impressed.

  31. #31
    user-created
    Reputation: singletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    BTW, no ill effects from eating at Pancho Villa twice.


    You are a braver man than I.

  32. #32
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    We didn't hear their reputation till after the 2nd time, then we were scared off a 3rd.

    Actually, the food & service was was decent and price was reasonable. (one breakfast & one dinner X 2 people)

    Bathrooms were clean, usually a good indication that someone cares.

    Maybe they have improved?

  33. #33
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,968
    he lost half his staff leading up to the festival
    Problem is, it happens too often. He's been open about 3 months and the staff has turned over about three times. That's great in retail and if it's inventory, but not so if it's in the food service and it's your staff.

  34. #34
    Des(s)ert Rat
    Reputation: screampint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    4,968

    You might want to talk to the coffee shop place across the street from your store too.
    We have. I don't think they're are interested in being open any longer than they already are.

  35. #35
    pepito
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    640
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Bruce. Lee came over on Wednesday and rode with Jon and me in the Bookcliffs.

    i had no idea bruce lee rode bikes. you guys are really starting to draw some big names to this little gathering.

    the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

  36. #36
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Reputation: CraigH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,755
    His loss of $$$ then...

    Still had a great time and plan to come back next year, with my wife this time.

  37. #37
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I don't disagree, but if I were a florist I'd probably consider losing out on Mother's Day business more than a minor inconvenience. I imagine that's a flower shop's biggest day (except maybe Feb. 14).

    yeah I agree and was thinking the same thing...maybe they could move the event to another weekend....it sucks to have it on Mothers day weekend anyway
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  38. #38
    My post is that way --->
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    yeah I agree and was thinking the same thing...maybe they could move the event to another weekend....it sucks to have it on Mothers day weekend anyway

    Rumor has it Troy is so devastated by the impact on the florist industry, with people potentially not being able to park directly outside the florist and having to walk an extra 50 yards, that he's decided to cancel the event completely.

    He has also entered into psychiatric counselling since someone told him that people might be neglecting their mothers to attend the festival.

    My thoughts are with his loved ones, though they're reportedly quite chuffed at having their garage and lawn back and never having to wait to be served at the brew pub.
    Wibble

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockyonekc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Problem is, it happens too often. He's been open about 3 months and the staff has turned over about three times. That's great in retail and if it's inventory, but not so if it's in the food service and it's your staff.
    damnit. If I knew that I would have held out for 2 free rounds from slim. Beer was so hard to come by you know.


    Their stout was delicious though. Maybe next time.


    Dave in KC

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shannon-UT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    425
    We ate at Pancho's Villa, nine of us, on Friday night. They had all 9 of our dinners on the table in 15 mintues I swear. I thought is was impressive! I did see Domino's out there on the sidewalk with a table too.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    109

    Funny you mention that.....

    I was in Fruita in March and we are climbing up the beginning to Mary's there is a very friendly smiley woman coming down and then all you hear is rocks, tires and a guy comes just screaming down the trail and damn near hits her. She yells slow down, and he was already gone. So we pass her as we are all shaking our heads, and then another guy comes down at a much slower much more controlled pace and I say "Is that your friend who just came down?" and he says "yeah" so I say "You may want to tell him to slow it down a little bit." and he looks back and says "why" so I reply with "Well he damn near took a woman out who was on the trail." He looks at me kind of funny and I think he smiled and rode on. It got me thinking though of course about the view most non-mountain bikers have of us and for the second time in my life I could identify. Other than that part the ride was a fantastic amazing wonderful religious like experience that again made me feel better about my life.

    Just my two cents.

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Craig, your name was called in a drawing on Saturday night d you missed out on a new Fox Talas fork. DOH!

    As far as speeding dilweeds on Rustlers, they were only there because they can't ride Moore Fun without walking moore than riding. Don't be angry with them, pity them.

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation: J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    824

    bets

    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    I was in Fruita in March and we are climbing up the beginning to Mary's there is a very friendly smiley woman coming down and then all you hear is rocks, tires and a guy comes just screaming down the trail and damn near hits her. She yells slow down, and he was already gone. So we pass her as we are all shaking our heads, and then another guy comes down at a much slower much more controlled pace and I say "Is that your friend who just came down?" and he says "yeah" so I say "You may want to tell him to slow it down a little bit." and he looks back and says "why" so I reply with "Well he damn near took a woman out who was on the trail." He looks at me kind of funny and I think he smiled and rode on. It got me thinking though of course about the view most non-mountain bikers have of us and for the second time in my life I could identify. Other than that part the ride was a fantastic amazing wonderful religious like experience that again made me feel better about my life.

    Just my two cents.
    Funny how some people get bent about my continuous stream of zealous preaching of etiquette for mountain bikers, especially in the Grand Valley. The same old "you're preaching to the choir" and all of that brand of jive they spew means nothing because there are still a lot of idiots out there on bikes making mountain bikers look bad. It is the naysayers who need to pull their heads out of the sand (and other various places) and also get after the fools who make it easier for environazis to pull the plug on access. Just one dumbass on a bike can be enough to close a trailand that will always be unacceptable.

    BTW, I bet I know who the woman was who that idiot almost hit and he's lucky she didn't huck a rock at his head.

  43. #43
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,732
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Rumor has it Troy is so devastated by the impact on the florist industry, with people potentially not being able to park directly outside the florist and having to walk an extra 50 yards, that he's decided to cancel the event completely.

    He has also entered into psychiatric counselling since someone told him that people might be neglecting their mothers to attend the festival.

    My thoughts are with his loved ones, though they're reportedly quite chuffed at having their garage and lawn back and never having to wait to be served at the brew pub.
    mothers day weekend is just bad all around
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Similar Threads

  1. Midwest or East Coast Riders...Epic Help?
    By Giventofly in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
  2. Angry Candian with a mullet.....
    By TheSherpa in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM
  3. Epic Va rides?
    By ncbiker in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 06:58 PM
  4. Interesting point of view
    By J.D. in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •