Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned

FFTF: Interesting View

I just finished stopping in at my (previoiusly) local oil change place in the Grand Valley and had an interesting encounter while waiting for my truck. There was a late 50ish woman with a lapdog in her lap, waiting as well. After a few minutes of silence, I decided to comment on the wonderful weather here. The conversation progressed a little and then she turned it to the invasion of mountain bikers who were descending on her little burg. She sounded a little bitter when she myopically expressed disdain for the closure of East Aspen St. for the FFTF this year. It seems that a small mom & pop flower shop on the closed section might have their Mother's Day business interrupted some because of the festivities. Sure, it's an inconvenience for the flower shop, but the overall shot in the arm that Fruita gets from the FFTF greatly overshadows any one business' minor inconvenience. When I moved to Fruita ten years ago, Fruita was turning into a ghost town/minor bedroom community for Grand Junction. Now it's a thriving and prosperous community due to a man's vision and the help from a small group of demented mountain bikers who believed in that vision. I hope that when this woman goes to sell her home in Fruita that she bought 20 years ago for ten thousand dollars and gets two hundred thousand for, remembers who helped make that possible instead of a flower shop's minor inconvenience.

banned
    I don't disagree, but if I were a florist I'd probably consider losing out on Mother's Day business more than a minor inconvenience. I imagine that's a flower shop's biggest day (except maybe Feb. 14).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I don't disagree, but if I were a florist I'd probably consider losing out on Mother's Day business more than a minor inconvenience. I imagine that's a flower shop's biggest day (except maybe Feb. 14).
    I don't know about that. If they had any smarts, they could use this invasion of visitors to their advantage the same way the local restaraunts and hotels do. Maye a sign out front that says "Don't forget to take flowers home to your mother/wife. 10% off for anyone wearing a bike helmet".

Whatever! Just crash it!
    I've been to FFTF a few times and I'm in Fruita riding 3-4 times per year. One of the reasons I love the town is that the locals seem to be pretty cool about a bunch of mountain bike mutants coming to town to ride and spend money. They don't always know how to react to us, but over the last 8 or 9 years that I've been riding there, I've never encountered someone that wasn't polite and 90% of the time, they go out of their way to make me feel welcome. You can't say that for the Washington, DC area. You pretty much will encounter someone who is rude and wants you to leave every time you open your eyes.

My wonderful Fruita experience last week happened at the City Market. The very pleasant woman who was helping people with self-serve checkout came up to suggest a sale. She said, "Ice and Firewood are very popular items with people like you." Her choice of words made me laugh, but her sentiment was genuine. Had someone said that to me in DC, I would have reacted a little differently.

I love the locals in Fruita and do my best to make sure we continue to be welcome there.

Thanks for posting up.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

Kearsarge crawler
    I think this type of situation is common in many towns across the country. For every person you can't please there are 5 that you can. I just wonder how many less people are going to use the flower shop than if the street was open. I would think that is going to be a very busy street.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

banned

details

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    I failed to mention that the sidewalk in front of the flower shop was open the whole festival and now on Sunday, the street is open. It was obvious all along that this person's biggest problem seemed to be that E Aspen was closed and her daily drive to City Market for cigarettes was interrrupted by a minor detour.

super absorbent
    Some people like their towns small, quiet and uninterupted by the outside world. To these people, the economic windfall may not be worth the hustle and bustle of strangers taking over their downtown streets. Although this woman claimed that she was losing financially, it sounds like just an excuse and a nice way of saying, "I wish all of you smelly bikers would just go away and give me back my peace and quiet".
    The more complicated it is, the more that can go wrong.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Good timing.

We wanted to send some flowers to Krista and Kristy at the Stonehaven to thank them for their hospitality all week. If your oil change woman hadn't been such a cow, we would have forgotten about the flower shop right there on Aspen.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    She sounded a little bitter.
    haha... pot kettle black

Holy Cross -- Thanks Sarah

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    haha... pot kettle black

Holy Cross -- Thanks Sarah

Eh?!

I think you've misunderstood something.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    Eh?!

I think you've misunderstood something.
    Seemed bitter to me.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I just finished stopping in at my (previoiusly) local oil change place in the Grand Valley and had an interesting encounter while waiting for my truck.
    JD - I believe that mentality is prevalent in all the little towns in the area. When my family moved to Dgo 20 years ago, the whole place was in recession and 1/2 the shops on main were deserted. Now it's a tourist mecca and everyone likes to complain about "The noise from the motorcycle festival" or closing off main for the downtown criteriums, or The Smoke from The Train.

People only have direct line-of-sight gratitude for these events. Sure the flower business might not make much money from FFTF, but they can't see that events like that indirectly cause them to be in business at all. If it weren't for the events; there wouldn't be anyone to buy flowers in the first place. Biting the hand that feeds the hand that feeds the hand....

She does have a point about mothers day though. Except for Valentines day, there is probably no more significant day to her year as a business.

mtbr member

I guess this is an appropriate place for my rant

This is the 5th FFTF I've been to, I think my first was 7 or 8 years ago.
    Last year a group of us tried to get something to eat in town on Fri/Sat nite after 9:00 during the festival. Nothing was open.
    This year, on Thursday, FBC was out of Pasta and salads by 7:30. On Friday at 9:15 all they had left were burgers. On Saturday, Dominos thought they were out of XL pizza's (how can you be out of a size???) Later on Saturday we ate at the mexican place near I-70, all was well there.

The hotels do a great job, as do the event organizers and OTE, but the resturants on Main continue to dissappoint and have always been poorly prepared.

Quick shoutout to the d&%kheads who flew past me and the beginner boys on Rustler's Loop. A race-like attitude on Rustlers? Losers!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Rolling
    The angst is strong in this thread.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    On Saturday, Dominos thought they were out of XL pizza's (how can you be out of a size???)
    The dough comes pre-made and size specific. FBC is very new, give them a chance to get their act together.

Otherwise, there's a rather large city just to the east of Fruita were you can get anything from sandwiches to sushi.

I really like Starvin Arvin's in Fruita myself, but not everybody wants to hang around a truckstop. I like chopped and formed beef snacks too, go figure.

On a topical note, the flower shop thing is an interesting point... that's gotta be about the only local bussiness that could possibly not benefit from FFTF, given the timing with m-day and all.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    FBC is very new, give them a chance to get their act together.
    I was pleasantly surprised with the beer there saturday. It wasn't flat like last time I was there. And bonus, FBC had a night scene after the fest band finished.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Funny about small towns

JD, most towns look for something to put them on the map. Then they get respectible and forget what made them rich and comfortible. I think you are in CA now, but I was to your house that you were renting in Fruita. If you have moved out it is probably going for double since, if I were the landlord, I would not have the courage to raise your rent. Hope you are well. Lois is back on a bike this weekend.

Bruce

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I was pleasantly surprised with the beer there saturday. It wasn't flat like last time I was there.
    Unlike the other brewery... I love the Rockslide, but their swill will make fire shoot out your ass. I'm not one to turn down a drink special, but I'll forgo their $2 happy hour pints for a $3.25 Budweiser.

Lion Vibes, the band at FBC has a strong local following, alot of the folks there weren't cyclists per say, but made the drive down to see the band for the 30th time. The tall guy with the dreads that was playing Sax is one of the founding members of the Mesa State Cycling Team as well.

I'm dissapointed that the Boner Donors didn't make a repeat appearance as well, but maybe they came off as a *bit* offensive last time....

Rolling
    Lion Vibes, the band at FBC has a strong local following, alot of the folks there weren't cyclists per say, but made the drive down to see the band for the 30th time. The tall guy with the dreads that was playing Sax is one of the founding members of the Mesa State Cycling Team as well.
    Indeed, they made a good finish for the boulder local favorite Kan'nal, who I though did a great job at the tent.

mtbr member
    The dough comes pre-made and size specific. FBC is very new, give them a chance to get their act together.

Otherwise, there's a rather large city just to the east of Fruita were you can get anything from sandwiches to sushi.

I really like Starvin Arvin's in Fruita myself, but not everybody wants to hang around a truckstop. I like chopped and formed beef snacks too, go figure.
    Fair enough, though they could combine dough.
    Subway was well prepared, and I really like the beer at FBC, just disappointed in the lack of preparation.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Des(s)ert Rat
    Actually, the street and parking lot next to the flower shop were never closed.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Makes me want to print this out to give to the local businesses. There were a couple restaurants that were well prepared, Fiesta Guadalajara (they love mountainbikers), and Diorio's (better pizza than Domino's any day, soon to change it's name).

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Makes me want to print this out to give to the local businesses. There were a couple restaurants that were well prepared, Fiesta Guadalajara (they love mountainbikers), and Diorio's (better pizza than Domino's any day, soon to change it's name).
    I trust Jen to keep it great! Congrats to her.

And actually guadalarjara has really good chorizo con huevos and carne asada.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    guadalarjara has really good chorizo con huevos and carne asada.

Yeah, but do they have Velvet Fighting Cocks?
    b

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Yeah, but do they have Velvet Fighting Cocks?
    OMG..almost forgot....thanks for the lead-in..

Paco's, Moab, UT. Mexican Cultural experience.

...and Joe, sorry about he crappy expectations. It's about the experience and laughter sometimes. I'm sure you've recovered by now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast