mtbr member

Feeling like a Little Kid Again

I hadn't been able to go for a ride for about 2 weeks due to my son's (and mine) hockey commitments. So having a rare free day yesterday I decided that I was going riding come hell or high-water. Now, I use that term specifically because if you live in the central Jersey area you know that it had been raining every day for about a week. But yesterday when I woke up the sun was actually shining so I threw my bike on my car and headed to the trails.

As my ride started I found the trails to be better than I thought, considering all the rain but still very soupy in a lot of sections. At first I found myself trying to avoid the deep puddles and muddy sections but then I inadvertently hit a deep puddle that threw water and mud all over me. Needless to say the conservative approach was over from that point on. After that I found myself gleefully whooping as I splashed through mud puddles, enjoying every drop that attached itself to me and my steed. By the time I was done my frame and clothes were covered and I couldn't get the smile off of my face.

Does anyone else here find themselves just saying "screw it" and wind up acting like a little kid in the mud? If you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend it.
    "When life gives you lemons, I say F@#% the lemons and bail."

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun. I strongly believe people should forget about being adults all the time.

Where did you ride? What park? I haven't been out since last Monday and with the current nor'easter keeping things interesting this week in NJ, I don't know when I will ride again.

By the time things begin to clear up, warm up and dry up, I'll be in Florida for my older son's wedding.

On the positive side, when you were riding, I was skiing.

mtbr member
    Hartshorne Park. In Middletown NJ.
    "When life gives you lemons, I say F@#% the lemons and bail."

mtbr member
    Thanks. This season I've been riding mostly Allaire and parks further south. Normally and after this winter, I'll be living back in Morris County and riding wet rocks and roots.
    Enjoy.

mtbr member
    I was doing the same thing a few miles south of you, in Wharton. Sandy roads, deep puddles and muddy atv trails made for a messy day.

mtbr member
    always more fun if you ride straight thru. better for the trail most times as well!
    always face the herd

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Yep, almost every time I ride a wet trail. I'm at first going around the puddles and then get splattered one way or another. Then comes the realization that there's no going back from there.
    ^ Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. -Dennis Miller

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    Sounds like a great ride, and a good way to remember that a used and dirty bike is a happy bike.
    -------------
    Kona HeiHei, Kona Tanuki & some Trek hardtail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I found that little kid in me again this past week when I picked up my fat bike. It is just so fun to ride. Always leave with a smile on my face
    '14 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    '15 Trek Farley 6 Fat Bike
    '12 Specialized Crux Skittles
    '13 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sounds like my ride this past weekend.. I even splashed my son as I went by and he was standing by one of those puddles.. I just couldn't help myself..