mtbr member
    Oct 2009

feeling kinda down, my uncle - riding partner growing up had a stroke

Hey guys,

On Sunday my uncle had (what I understand to be) a stroke

Apparently he has malformed vessels and a mass the size of a golf ball in his brain. He is a pretty young guy, 51, and was a major influence on me growing up. I had a very small family and spent a lot of time with him growing up. When I first got into mountain biking back in the mid 90's I spent a lot of time riding with him. He is a great uncle in that way, I always looked forward to the time I got to spend with him.

Right now the prognosis is uncertain. He had a partial embolism to seal off some of the bleeding vessels but apparently he has fluid in the lungs of some sort an his bp was high so they want to sort those out before finishing the embolism and removing the mass

At this point I am terrified. Some people it seems like are built to handle tragedy. On the other hand I feel like when the tiniest thing happens I feel like the world is coming to an end. My grandmother (his mom) is handling it well but sounded so down today it broke my heart. Hard to be the support system when you yourself are crumbling

Regardless of what happens. Its a long road ahead. Hopefully one day he will be able to do things he once loved, like riding. No matter what all we can do is hope for the best. I know that over the last few years he got back into riding and was doing it a lot. We would always talk about riding together, bit never really got around to it even though we only live an hour apart.

What I wouldn't give to have stopped making excuses and drove the hour to ride with him one last time before this happened

Hoping for the best. Life is short. Do what you love and what makes you happy. Surround yourself with the people that mean the most. Stop making excuses and live life to the fullest

Hell Track
    sorry to hear that. I'm a church going man and i'll say a prayer for your uncle, that's my style. What's his name?
    My buddy had a stroke last year and he's only in his mid 40's and decent shape. Scary stuff for sure. Don't beat yourself up for not riding together lately, just be there for your uncle now because he's gonna need family. Best to your uncle and your family...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My thoughts go out to you and your family. My father age 75 just had a stroke a month ago. It attacked both sides of the brain. It is a long road to recovery. He didn't bike with me but we did enjoy golfing and vacations at the shore. Just remember to take it a day at a time and keep good thoughts. Good luck.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    I don't know you or your uncle but that is a real drag and I can only wish you the best. My dad had a stroke around 50. Tough to watch.

Easier said than done, but try not to beat yourself up about not making it out there to ride with him. Life's too short to carry around regrets like that.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Hopefully his age and his fitness will work in his favor here. If stroke patients get appropriate medical attention quickly enough, the effects are minimized.

All my best to you and your uncle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for your support everyone, his name is Bob and as of the last update he may not be able to handle the surgery scheduled for Tuesday. When I got into my bad bike crash back in 2010 and was able to drag myself out of the trail and up a hill high enough to get cell phone service, he was the first person who answered the call. When the EMT's and park ranger were bringing me out of the trail he wasat the trailhead and took my bike for me. he is a good hearted man and its a terrible feeling knowing that I can't do much to help with the situation.

The part that I think I forgot to mention is that a few years back he had what we all thought was a mini stroke but was stubborn and never got checked out. The neurosurgeon said that had he went in that they would have been likely able to fix the problem. This is what triggered him getting back into riding and exercise and I think he thought that if he got into good shape it wouldn't happen again.

My prayers with everyone else in this type of situation. Its the last thing you would imagine happening to you and when it hits, it hits hard. As odd as it sounds there are the some things that I can't talk about and typing here helps me get it out of my system so I can at least be a better support system for others. Right now its my grandmother's time, then my mother and his brother. I need to try to stay strong to help them and while I try not to be too down when talking to them, I have to vent in private