Favorite terrain, and why?

Urban, rocky, forest, downhill, boardwalk, mountain, skatepark, dirt, ect.
    My favorite is dirt/boardwalk, I'm mostly into time trial, so I like softer terrain for those highspeed wipeouts. Plus it's easy and fun to customize.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I prefer to ride high altitude, from 5,000 feet to 10,000. I really like the Forest, Alpine, and chunky and smoother forest single track is a blast for me. I always enjoyed backpacking and adventure in the Mountains, so when I got into Mountain Biking, it was a natural for me. I live in So-Cal within 45 minutes of either high mountains, coastal mountains and beach, or desert stuff. Contrary to what people may assume about California being a big city, we have more mountains over 14,000 feet (11) than most any other state save Colorado and Alaska. There is so much mountain stuff to ride in California it's hard to imagine.

mtbr member

Re: Favorite terrain, and why?

I love challenging rock gardens, but not the loose pile of rubble type. Those get boring. I love the larger, stationary rocks, in naturally occuring gardens. The ones that make you pick a line and execute it.

Beautiful, moss covered mazes of endless challenge. A few from Ellicottville come to mind.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Downhill & Technical. Rocks or roots; Trails like Portal and Jackson (Moab) or Holy Cross in Grand Junction. For DH, steeper the better, with drops that have sensible landings (not flat) and keen turns.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

High Desert MTBer
    Anything dirty will do.
    It's all Here. Now.

Rogue Exterminator
    I like it all as long as it isn't boring.
    Very blessed to live where I live in Western NC

I would say though that fast flowing down hill suctions with lots of twists and turns put the biggest smile on my face.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

9 lives
    For DH I like steep,rocky and rooty, small jumps and drops. Doing technical sections cleanly then I feel challenged. The more natural the better, I am not a big fan of bridges

For trails I like fast and flowy dirt. Rollers that I can pump are my favorite features

Overall I like looking at nature, trees, structures and landscapes, and spotting animals and interesting plants
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

I would say though that fast flowing down hill suctions with lots of twists and turns put the biggest smile on my face.
    I've got to say, having riden everything from Colorado alpine to Florida swamps, which are both great and fun in their own way, and everything in between, that the trails of Western NC, e.g: Brevard, Dupont and Piscah are some of the best and most fun miles I've ever ridden.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    when I read the main post, the first thing I thought of was Ellicottville NY. Others I see love this place as well. Bent rim is one of my favovites because its very challenging. But every trail there has its own merrits. If you have not been there, you need to get there. The WNYMBA does awesome job of taking care of these trails for us to ride. Thank you WNYMBA!!

mtbr member
    flowy singletrack with berms and rollers on a steel HT or "natural" rocky and rooty trails with plenty of hills on a 140mm FS bike are my favs.

trees/shade are always a plus.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

^ insert "Very blessed to live where i live in southern California" and ditto the post.

mtbr member
    I love the super technical rocky sections. Preferably with a little downhill grade, so I can focus on wheel placement and lines rather than pushing the bike forward...but I am lazy :P

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I am lucky enough to live at 7600ft here in New Mexico. So high mtn st my choice. Throw in some technical chunk and I'm in heaven. And when the Mtns are full of snow, some good desert chunk is in order.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    forest at copper harbor michigan

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    XC singltrack on well drained soil and/or with a mix including rock outcrop. Riding on the Canadian Shield or the Oak Ridges Morraine. I would also like to try other trail types, like moab or really rocky trails, but for the most part I like the trails I have ridden in Ontario and Quebec and in BC. Not a fan of numerous slippery roots...lol. I don't look for water and mud. I will ride through it if I have to, but I usually avoid it if I can.
    Last edited by morkys; 02-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Since I'm in Maryland (I suppose I should change my handle since I moved like three years ago), I enjoy your typical East Coast style of riding: rocks (the bigger the better), roots, and twisty singletrack through trees. That being said, I do very much enjoy desert riding (e.g. Moab). The CO high country is nice too, but I don't have much experience just riding out there.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Bicycle Radical
    I've only ridden on the East Coast so my preferences range from flowy, smooth roller coasters to rocky, rooty, twisty singletrack in the forests.

I'd be willing to try almost any other kind of terrain though. Those desert vistas of which I see photos are quite enticing.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fast and flowy are what I love. Technical and me don't
    get along, I pretty much suck at it.

Vincit qui patitur
    Fast flowy singletrack in the forest.
    Born and raised in the desert so it's kind of boring for me.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by enfyre View Post
    Urban, rocky, forest, downhill, boardwalk, mountain, skatepark, dirt, ect....
    Yes!

I'm likely ADD so I get bored quickly. Keep changing it up on me.

Bombing some smooth, twisty singletrack through a pine forest into a 30mph uphill rock garden that loosens my eyeballs then dumps into a sand pit, with a creek crossing into a jump that lands in a snowfield near a flowering meadow is my idea of a good time. If the trail ends by a brewery that serves really good steak sandwiches and onion rings, that's triply good!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I love going fast. Crawling over rocky terrain and clearing stuff is okay, but flying down a long flowing descent after the climb is my favorite. Bonus points for big rollers, getting air, and traction!

Your Best Friend
    High alpine singletrack on flowing trails is my zen. I love being wrapped in the forest at 8,000ft, having ascended from 5kft and knowing I get to go back down, just to do it all over again in another canyon.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

saddlemeat

Re: Favorite terrain, and why?

Classic flowing singletrack through beautiful interesting places gets it for me. Throw in some altitude and clear blue skies and that's where I live!
    I ride with the best people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mountain FTW!!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I dig anything out deep in the woods! The further from civilization the better. We have a few trails that are technical with drops and teeter totters and the such, but I'm liking just somewhat natural singletrack. We have a nice 10 mile loop around a lake I ride the most and love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm a newb. so I'll probably have another feeling next year

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Really slick roots at 45 degree angles

mtbr member
    I think a good variety of everything but in a natural environment. Super buffed singletrack is fun, but gets monotonous after a while and isn't challenging enough. Lots of chunk and drops are great going down, but make for a long climb/hike back up the trail. My most favorite trails incorporate all of this type of riding and involve some decent climbing as well. There's something about the simultaneous cocktail of adrenaline and endorphins in the bloodstream while flying down a hill at faster-than-advisable speeds that just does it for me.

The Downieville area trails top the list, as do Auburn and Chico in Northern California. Chico is a little sparse on "smooth" trails though .

This loop in Auburn is one of my favorites and has a little bit for everyone: Clementine (up), Connector, FHDL, Connector, Culvert, Confluence. Smooth buffed singletrack, sustained climbs, swoopy elevation changes, man made features on Culvert, chunky fun stuff on Confluence...makes for a really fun loop. The only problem is that I have to drive a couple hours to get there!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hero Dirt + Single Track = my favorite terrain

mtbr member
    I like deep woods flowey stuff and also hilly farm land pastures, especially when the sun is low in the sky. High mountains are cool, but just don't get there much.

mtbr member
    Flowing single track....anything conducive to a single speed 29er....I do like the occasional hard climb though have to throw a challenge in there to feel good about the ride.
    I asked God for a bike, but I know he doesn't work that way so I stole a bike & asked for forgiveness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FLOW! Flow flow flow! Woodsy flowy singletrack! I love it because I'm not a good enough rider to enjoy technical stuff yet, but I am starting to get the confidence up to hit flowy stuff with banked turns and stuff with speed. It's just fun, and it feels good :-)

mtbr member
    I'd have to say slow,technical rock riding. I have ridden quite a bit of bike trials so whenever I get the opportunity to show off a bit and hop on my rear wheel from rock to rock on my 29r...I do it.

I also like fast & flow too...kinda the opposite there.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Fast & flowy, twisty/turny, roller coaster rides. I like hard pack with the occasional moderate technical feature(s) thrown in. My bike is built up to handle the type of terrain I prefer. It won't take a whole lot of "all mountain" abuse.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Fast & flowy, twisty/turny, roller coaster rides. I like hard pack with the occasional moderate technical feature(s) thrown in. My bike is built up to handle the type of terrain I prefer. It won't take a whole lot of "all mountain" abuse.
    I like to ride fairly fast so I'm happiest on smooth stuff. Besides, my old aching bones can't take a lot of bouncing around.

PRETENDURO
    Rocky and technical stuff. I like the challenge of clearing difficult sections on my fully-rigid fatbike.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Varied terrain...because it's varied. Get to practice all of my (limited) bike handling skills. Maybe a slight bias towards techy pick your line from many kind of terrain.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I like fast and flowy, with berms on the corners, with some touches of chunk to keep things interesting. Holy Cross, Kessels, Joe's Ridge, Zippity - heck anything Fruita and Grand Junction.. The Ribbon was sweet!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm very new to the sport but I'm an avid offroad dirt bike rider and the thick woods with large elevation changes is where I love!
    Last edited by fstbusa; 02-13-2013 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Slick Rock!!!!!!

Especially SW Utah style where you duck in and out of sandy singletrack back and forth onto rough techy slick rock with boundless little deviations from the course to play on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My favorite terrain is whatever I am riding over at that moment. I love all kinds of riding, from endlessly flowy trail in Bend, steep Redwoods descents in Santa Cruz, treeless moonscapes on the mesas in Utah, high-elevation climbing/descending on the Colorado front-range, and tick-infested, humid sweatfests in Alabama (ok, I could live without the ticks).

mtbr member
    I like a mix of trails, but the most fun trails I ride are slow technical rides. With Rocks, roots, trees across the trail. Living in Ontario we have a lot of different options, from fast flowing trails, to slow technical rocks.
    Can't complain at all!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Although I like the desert rock, my heart is in the mountains. Technical, back country, natural terrain. Adventure riding. Don't care so much for this trend of making 3 foot wide, predictable, terrain park style trails.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    smooth flowy dirt--and occasional roots and some rocks are ok. The less ledges and drops the better. Why--coz I suck at the tech and about the time I start gaining confidence there goes another broken bone. lol. And I've been after it at least 13 years.

Perpetual Hack
    I'm old and slow and have put in mucho pedal time so now I like to get my but hauled up the hill and ride down.
    Unfortunately it is a ~4 hr drive one way to the lift hill - makes for a long day.

Anyway - natural DH - rocks, roots, drops, and jumps. I like both fast and hairy and slow and hairy.
    As well, I'm kind of fond of berm and jump trails - something I really don't have access to. The local lift hill is mostly natural with very little man-made - Just a few small lips and drops on the couple of bermed trails.

It is actually the same hill singlesprocket and Cyclelisious ride. - Blue Mountain in Ontario.

Locally it is ravine riding, so short ups and down.

If anybody has been to Snowshoe then that is ideal for me - big hill with lots of natural and lots of bermy-jumpy fun.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

OTB Pro
    Can't beat rocky, rooty, technical terrain. Picking your way through a rock garden or rooty downhill is one of the best parts of mountain biking. Flowy hardpack can be quite fun also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bpressnall View Post
    Although I like the desert rock, my heart is in the mountains. Technical, back country, natural terrain. Adventure riding. Don't care so much for this trend of making 3 foot wide, predictable, terrain park style trails.
    Ditto though I have not done the mountains yet. I live in the desert rock so that is where I ride but my heart (camping/hiking) is in the mountains. I will be working in Flagstaff AZ a couple of days a week for the next month or two and plan to ride after work. Anyone up for guide service/ride partner? I would say I am intermediate but just out of noob status . Not afraid of some rock and steep, won't die quickly on uphill.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    Since I'm in Maryland (I suppose I should change my handle since I moved like three years ago), I enjoy your typical East Coast style of riding: rocks (the bigger the better), roots, and twisty singletrack through trees. That being said, I do very much enjoy desert riding (e.g. Moab). The CO high country is nice too, but I don't have much experience just riding out there.
    I think you should change your handle too! Ha ha! BTW- I still live in Pa.!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Rocky and technical, the kind of stuff that scratches up your bike and gives it character. I also like long easy uphills where you can get into a steady rhythm.

Michigan Wolverine
    I'm pretty much content with anything but sand. I really dislike sand.