Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Favorite terrain, and why?

Urban, rocky, forest, downhill, boardwalk, mountain, skatepark, dirt, ect.
    My favorite is dirt/boardwalk, I'm mostly into time trial, so I like softer terrain for those highspeed wipeouts. Plus it's easy and fun to customize.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I prefer to ride high altitude, from 5,000 feet to 10,000. I really like the Forest, Alpine, and chunky and smoother forest single track is a blast for me. I always enjoyed backpacking and adventure in the Mountains, so when I got into Mountain Biking, it was a natural for me. I live in So-Cal within 45 minutes of either high mountains, coastal mountains and beach, or desert stuff. Contrary to what people may assume about California being a big city, we have more mountains over 14,000 feet (11) than most any other state save Colorado and Alaska. There is so much mountain stuff to ride in California it's hard to imagine.

mtbr member

Re: Favorite terrain, and why?

I love challenging rock gardens, but not the loose pile of rubble type. Those get boring. I love the larger, stationary rocks, in naturally occuring gardens. The ones that make you pick a line and execute it.

Beautiful, moss covered mazes of endless challenge. A few from Ellicottville come to mind.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Downhill & Technical. Rocks or roots; Trails like Portal and Jackson (Moab) or Holy Cross in Grand Junction. For DH, steeper the better, with drops that have sensible landings (not flat) and keen turns.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

High Desert MTBer
    Anything dirty will do.
    It's all Here. Now.

Rogue Exterminator
    I like it all as long as it isn't boring.
    Very blessed to live where I live in Western NC

I would say though that fast flowing down hill suctions with lots of twists and turns put the biggest smile on my face.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

pin it
    For DH I like steep,rocky and rooty, small jumps and drops. Doing technical sections cleanly then I feel challenged. The more natural the better, I am not a big fan of bridges

For trails I like fast and flowy dirt. Rollers that I can pump are my favorite features

Overall I like looking at nature, trees, structures and landscapes, and spotting animals and interesting plants
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dirt Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

I would say though that fast flowing down hill suctions with lots of twists and turns put the biggest smile on my face.
    I've got to say, having riden everything from Colorado alpine to Florida swamps, which are both great and fun in their own way, and everything in between, that the trails of Western NC, e.g: Brevard, Dupont and Piscah are some of the best and most fun miles I've ever ridden.

Rock
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    when I read the main post, the first thing I thought of was Ellicottville NY. Others I see love this place as well. Bent rim is one of my favovites because its very challenging. But every trail there has its own merrits. If you have not been there, you need to get there. The WNYMBA does awesome job of taking care of these trails for us to ride. Thank you WNYMBA!!

mtbr member
    flowy singletrack with berms and rollers on a steel HT or "natural" rocky and rooty trails with plenty of hills on a 140mm FS bike are my favs.

trees/shade are always a plus.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

^ insert "Very blessed to live where i live in southern California" and ditto the post.

mtbr member
    I love the super technical rocky sections. Preferably with a little downhill grade, so I can focus on wheel placement and lines rather than pushing the bike forward...but I am lazy :P

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I am lucky enough to live at 7600ft here in New Mexico. So high mtn st my choice. Throw in some technical chunk and I'm in heaven. And when the Mtns are full of snow, some good desert chunk is in order.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    forest at copper harbor michigan

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    XC singltrack on well drained soil and/or with a mix including rock outcrop. Riding on the Canadian Shield or the Oak Ridges Morraine. I would also like to try other trail types, like moab or really rocky trails, but for the most part I like the trails I have ridden in Ontario and Quebec and in BC. Not a fan of numerous slippery roots...lol. I don't look for water and mud. I will ride through it if I have to, but I usually avoid it if I can.
    Last edited by morkys; 02-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Since I'm in Maryland (I suppose I should change my handle since I moved like three years ago), I enjoy your typical East Coast style of riding: rocks (the bigger the better), roots, and twisty singletrack through trees. That being said, I do very much enjoy desert riding (e.g. Moab). The CO high country is nice too, but I don't have much experience just riding out there.
    Brought to you by rocks.

Bicycle Radical
    I've only ridden on the East Coast so my preferences range from flowy, smooth roller coasters to rocky, rooty, twisty singletrack in the forests.

I'd be willing to try almost any other kind of terrain though. Those desert vistas of which I see photos are quite enticing.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Fast and flowy are what I love. Technical and me don't
    get along, I pretty much suck at it.

Vincit qui patitur
    Fast flowy singletrack in the forest.
    Born and raised in the desert so it's kind of boring for me.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by enfyre View Post
    Urban, rocky, forest, downhill, boardwalk, mountain, skatepark, dirt, ect....
    Yes!

I'm likely ADD so I get bored quickly. Keep changing it up on me.

Bombing some smooth, twisty singletrack through a pine forest into a 30mph uphill rock garden that loosens my eyeballs then dumps into a sand pit, with a creek crossing into a jump that lands in a snowfield near a flowering meadow is my idea of a good time. If the trail ends by a brewery that serves really good steak sandwiches and onion rings, that's triply good!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I love going fast. Crawling over rocky terrain and clearing stuff is okay, but flying down a long flowing descent after the climb is my favorite. Bonus points for big rollers, getting air, and traction!

Your Best Friend
    High alpine singletrack on flowing trails is my zen. I love being wrapped in the forest at 8,000ft, having ascended from 5kft and knowing I get to go back down, just to do it all over again in another canyon.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

saddlemeat

Re: Favorite terrain, and why?

Classic flowing singletrack through beautiful interesting places gets it for me. Throw in some altitude and clear blue skies and that's where I live!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mountain FTW!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I dig anything out deep in the woods! The further from civilization the better. We have a few trails that are technical with drops and teeter totters and the such, but I'm liking just somewhat natural singletrack. We have a nice 10 mile loop around a lake I ride the most and love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast