mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Eye sight (twist on Lasik surgery thread)

My eye sight has been going south on me for the last couple of years to the point where I'm past "readers" and wear glasses full time. One of the interesting byproducts of this has been, I think, my improved riding because my visual comfort zone is now well down the trail, hence I'm reading the trails better.

While reading the trail is basic, part of not being able to see clearly what's right in front of me, has been blowing over/through rocks and sketchy stuff I would have tried to go around before, gaining confidence in what my bike can handle as well my own skills. So broadly speaking, the change in my eye sight has lead to better "flow" and over all fun.

Go figure....

Rogue Exterminator
    I used to race cars and motorcycles as a hobby and the further you look ahead, the more it mentally makes the ride seem slower and the faster and smoother you will become in your lines because you are not making as many split second decisions. So, this makes total sense that you are becoming a better rider. Depending on the trail, I could see this being an advantage. Of course, depending on how bad it is, I also could see a disadvantage on a super technical trail where slowing down is a must.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Yeah. Funny how being able to see can improve your performance! I got diagnosed with a coronal problem that could result in the loss of an eye, so I tried biking with one hand over the eye to see how that worked. One-eyed is bad....one-eyed while riding with one hand on the handlebars is absolutely "catastrophobic"!

mtbr member
    One of the best things I've done to improve my riding has been to invest in a pair of prescription recreational glasses with transitional lenses. I got a set of Liberty's for under $150.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm the opposite, I can't see far down. This becomes a problem when a tree branch or divot pops up right in front of me at the last second.