Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Every bike you've ever owned list...

483K views 714 replies 592 participants last post by  sgltrak 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Every bike I’ve owned, funny how I can remember these better than I can my ex-girlfriends…

1. Schwinn Banana seat coaster brake (my first singlespeed!)
2. Schwinn 10 speed that could shift while coasting
3. Panasonic RX-4000 (car ran into me)
4. Performance Superbe Pro (bought with car accident insurance money)
5. Cannondale Road bike (bought from some Ironman guy our shop sponsored)
6. Miyata with old Shimano 600
7. Tommasini Super Prestige (wrecked into a signpost at 35 mph)
8. Marushi mountain bike with 6 speed Deore XT.
9. Fat Chance Wicked
10. Redline 24” cruiser
11. Trek 930 with Funk Big fork

............Long break with no bikes when I smoked cigs and ate too much junk food....................

12. Raleigh M-400 (got me back into riding, thank you! )
13. Tommasini Prestige (too small)
14. Marin Mount Vision (I hated full suspension so much that it started me on singlespeed, converted the Raleigh M-400)
15. Surly 1x1
16. Phobia Anxiety fixed gear mountain bike (bad name for a fixed gear mtb)
17. Raleigh Technium townie singlespeed with wicked witch of the west handlebars(still have)
18. Oschner fixed gear road bike
19. Tomasso fixed gear road bike
20. Mountain Cycles Zen (still hated full suspension, why did I build this bike?)
21. Surly Karate Monkey 29er singlespeed (still have)
22. Bianchi CUSS singlespeed
23. Specialized Stumpjumper singlespeed
24. Indigo Cycles road fixie (still have)
25. Indigo Cycles 29er singlespeed (still have)
26. Matt Chester Indie Rock Cross Bike (still have)

See less See more
#201 ·
Ok, I'll play....

1. 1994 GT Backwoods
2. 1996 Cannondale CAAD 3
3. 2000 Santa Cruz Bullit
4. 2004 Santa Cruz Bullit
5. 2004 Santa Cruz VP-Free
6. 2006 Santa Cruz Nomad
7. 2000 Santa Cruz Roadster
8. 2000 Santa Cruz Roadster #2
9. 2006 Santa Cruz Roadster
10. 1999 Intense M1
11. 1985 Cannondale Crit-3
12. 1968 Murray "The Rail"

#202 ·
My list is very short. I didn't seriously get into cycling until 1997.

Schwinn Moad - Hard tail
Fat Chance Yo Eddy - very sweet bike - purple with pink touches - loved this bike and
still be riding if the fork hadn't gone. Couldn't replace it for less than $500. Hubby insisted

#203 ·
Oops! Didn't finish post.
Anyway, my husband thot it'd be better to get a new bike rather than putting so much money into the Yo Eddy.
Gary Fisher Sugar 2 Genesister - great bike, got Gary to sign it too. That was cool. This bike is for sale btw if anyone is interested.
Bianchi Giro - very smooth ride - been riding it to work lately - love it
Yeti ASR Race - my future MT bike. It will be pink and gray. I' m very pumped about it!

#204 ·
Feeling old...

(age 4) 1st bike, very small green bike with plastic tires.
(5) Some model Huffy BMX, with trick 5 spoke plastic hubs.
(12) No name $80 steel mountain'ish bike from Toys R Us
(14) Neon green+white Mongoose BMX, prompty sprayed black
(15) Pacific brand mountain bike, promptly sprayed ruby red
(17) GT Timberline, Rigid, with the white and black splatter paint
And so I enter the "brand name" bike world...
- Raliegh Steel Lugged 12 speed touring bike
- Supergo Full Suspension (i.e. two pieces of metal with elastomers)
- Mongoose IBOC Hardtail
- Schwinn S-20
- Mongoose IBOC frame (different one), built as a single speed
- Giant VT 2 (current ride)
- Spicer Cyclocross, custom build

#205 ·
Man you guys really burned through bikes. I can't believe how many you've owned. I got my first truck bike when I was 10 in 1962.

That bike got stolen in 1968 but I found a 10 speed Schwin Varsity in the garbage that I still own and ride around the city.

About 10 years ago I found a Magna mountain bike in the garbage and rode that in the parks of NYC.

Just a few weeks ago my friend gave me a Schwin Impact. It's in such nice condition I hate taking it into the dirt so that's my new road bike. Once I get it dinged a bit more, I'll be stump jumpin with it.

#206 ·
Wow! people tell me I'm nuts!

Back in the 1960's we coveted a bike, a cruiser, called The President

In the early 70's, a banana seat sting ray from Royce union, purple. Stolen from behind the baseball backstop, while I was playing catcher!

In High school (mid 70's) I had an unknown english racer, 3 speed in ternal hub. When I tweaked the front wheel I replaced it with a 20 inch front, and rod it to football practice with no brake.

A sears Free Spirit 10 sp for 100.00 bought with my own money. I painted it bright red, in the same garage my brother's freshly painted Harley frame was drying. When he saw the red overspray on the frame, needless to say, he beat the **** out of me!

A 1981 Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. Did my first 40 miler on it

Trek 1993 &50 hybrid, did my first MTB rides on. I took it to Gore Mt midstation with a friend, I went OTB every time we hit a waterbar. My brother in law still has the bike, all original parts.

1995 Gary Fisher Montare. Aluminum frame , my first real sweet ride. First frame replacement,

Raliegh R 600 - beastly harsh Al roadie. Set it up with a variety of new components after my 2nd frame relacement. Set it up with Heliums.

2000 LeMond Zurich.. NIce comfortable supple steel. It took over the Heliums

2001 Rocky Mountain Blizzard. Continuing the trend away from harsh mid range Al bikes. Sweet bike, still have it as my hartail. It has the Ti PG bar from my Fisherm and the bar ends. I broke the chain on this bike on it's first ride, the bent chainplate caught the derailleur and twited the der, hanger 180 degrees, first ride! My LBS still shakes his head at that!

2006 Kona Kikapu Deluxe bought just 2 weeks ago. Sweet setup, first dual susser, a present to myself for my pending 50th BD.

#207 · (Edited)
Red single speed kids bike with weird friction brake. Came from ToysRUs.

Mom's blue 3 speed. It was way too big for me for a long time, but a bike for me wasn't in the cards.

Ross BMX. Hand-me down from a friend.

Red Sterling 10 speed. Stolen. (I mean, it got stolen from me.)

Cyclepro Ambush. This was just about the first thing I bought when I moved to Texas, for $118. Basically a 1990 model hybrid with 26" wheels and 18 speeds. Thumb shifters, bolt on rear wheel, and ovaltech chainrings. Tons of commuting miles on this baby.

Diamondback Response Sport. First 'real' mountain bike I ever owned. Supposedly an 18 inch frame, but it was really too big for me. Rock Shox Quadra 10, Shimano STX, my first rapidfire shift bike. True Temper 4130 butted cromoly. Great blue color.

Balance XR 750. I bought one of these frames online, It was purple, but the tubing was Tange Prestige butted cromoly and the 16 inch frame fit me far better. Took most of the parts from the Diamondback and built it with a new '95 Rock Shox Judy XC and my first set of SPD clipless pedals. I still ride the pedals.

'95 North Star Estrella. Little-known 'budget' brand bike. Frame was a 17" of Fuji Stout Lite cromoly. Full Shimano STX-RC group, Araya TM-18 rims, rigid cromoly fork. I bought this after I sold the Balance because I couldn't quite afford my dream bike yet. I have configured this bike differently over the years. For a while it had a white Manitou SX, then back to rigid, and now it has a '95 Judy with a Bontrager fork crown, XT shift / brake, LX 4 bolt cranks, and Deore XT center-pull cantilever brakes.

'95 Raleigh R-600, 54cm. 7000 series aluminum frame, 105 kit. I paid a little too much. A fun bike.

Vintage Ross road bike, stem shifters. My buddy had this in his backyard, abandoned by the previous tenant. Passed on it once, then took it home, added new cables and housing. When a pedal fell off (taking the threads out of the crank) a friend sold me his 105 cranks for $20. Great commuter bike.

DK Fury, yellow cromoly frame. Play bike.

'97 Bontrager Privateer S, size Medium. This will probably always be my favorite bike. I sold this to a young guy at a shop I worked at, then bought it from him for about 1/3 what he paid six months later ($280, which was all I could scrape up at the time; he needed the money). I wanted a Race very badly, but a Privateer was as close as I ever got (and I'm okay with that now). The burgundy color is pretty sweet. Besides the bar, stem, shifters, headset, rear derailleur, and (believe it or not) the fork, I've replaced every part on the bike. It has a threadless headset, 1" Control Tech stem, and a Marzocchi MX Comp 80mm standing by for the day I admit that the fork is trashed. The bike has 8 speed Deore XT front to back, except for a Race Face Taperlock bottom bracket, Control Tech derailleur pulleys, and a red Hadley / GT cnc rear hub. Pedals are Bontrager RE-1s, bar ends are Bontrager L-bend magnesium, post is a Zoom, and the saddle is a Selle Italia Bontrager in Italian leather.

Giant Perigee road bike. Very early '90's, red. I bought this cheap out of the basement of a shop I worked at where it languished due to a tiny ding in the top tube and a missing rear derailleur. Down tube shifters, heavy cromoly frame (I think there's some cromoly in there). Wheels/brakes/shifters/brake levers are original. I added an anatomical bend handlebar, different stem, saddle, and the Ultegra 600 cranks. Lovely commuting sled.

Jamis Dakar Pro (Team?). 17". Red is sexy. Easton Elite tubing, Cane Creek AD-8 air shock. I bought the frame cheap and built it with XT 9 speed, red label/ blue label rims, and a white ('98?) Judy XC. I used the older Deore XT v-brakes and levers because they rock. With Mythos XC tires it weighs in at 26.4lbs. Pedals are cheap CODA SPD, bar / stem are ICON grey.

KHS Team ST. Black / sparkly gold, weird colors, 15" frame in True Temper butted cromoly. This one had the odd bend in the top tube and the f. der. cable routed down the down tube. I wanted to try a softtail and couldn't afford one made from TI, so I bought this for around $160. I really liked this frame. Built with XT and a 'Mt Dew green' Jett XC fork. It was fun to ride, but always a little short in the length for me.

Diamondback Traverse. Cromoly frame, Alivio parts. A fixer-upper, a runabout. Cost me nothing but new cables and housing.

GT BMX. Red, aluminum, another fixer-upper.

'05 Diamondback Axis. 18" 7000 series aluminum frame, Race Face Evolve XC cranks, Marzocchi EXR Comp, 9spd LX and XT.

'05 KHS Comp ST. 18" Alu front triangle, cromoly rear, 1" travel (if that), white/ black/ red. '99(?)Judy C fork, LX / XT 9speed kit, Race Face Evolve cranks. Fits me better than my old KHS softtail.

'06 Giant TCR C3, new 9spd Ultegra group, FSA wheels, cheap bar/ stem. 18.1lbs, full carbon, the road bike I've always wanted.

Schwinn Passage 52cm, early nineties or possibly late '80s, a blue road bike with downtube shifters. Still needs a new rear wheel and new cables, but should be fun.

Schwinn Traveller, 57(ish) cm, late eighties, downtube shifters. Another fixer-upper. I'm cutting new cables, wrapping fresh cork, gonna' put some fresh grease in the hubs and then find a good home for it.

#209 · (Edited)
Many of the starter mtb I had were rubbish as I was more into motorcycles and apart from a Raleigh Chopper I can't remember my early years bikes but.

Trek 800 sport
Trek 930 fs
Proflex Beast (stolen)
K2 Zed m (stolen)
Raleigh RSP250
Giant ATX 1
GT Zaskar (forgot about that one...)
Kona Chute (custom)
Trek 6045 pub bike(... and that one)
Yeti ASX
Tomac ELI
Commencal Supreme 6.10
and Flow Drift 24"

#210 ·
Some old fockers on this thread....

I don't remember the years of some of my bikes:

Huffy Stu Thompson
GT Pro Performer
Giant Iguana
Research Dynamics somethin or rather
1998 Gary Fisher Aquila
2001 Giant NRS 2
2004 Enduro Expert
2005 Titus Racer X
Surly Karate Monkey
2005 LeMond Versailles
2007 Turner Sultan

#211 ·
My list, so far:
1. little red 20" cruiser from sears or montgomery ward can't remember (trashed)
2. 20" black & gold Huffy BMX (trashed)
3. 1985 GT Performer, first real bike (sold)

Working at a bike shop during college:
4. 1990's Raleigh 400, first road bike (sold)
5. 1990's Basso with Campy (sold)
6. 1990's Giant Iguana or Bolder, can't remember (sold)
7. 1990's Raleigh Heat (sold)
8. 1990's Pinarello with Suntour (sold)
9. 1990's Haro Group 1 (sold)
10. 1992 Giordana Antares with Campy Athena & Shimano 600 (still have)
11. 1994 GT Zaskar LE with a mix of components to long to list (still have)

A very long 10 year break from bikes (got a job that pays the bills)
12. 2005 GT Power Series XL, mostly stock
13. 1987 Haro FST, restored
14. 1986 GT Pro Performer, restored and my favorite bike
15. 1992 Robinson SST, restored
16. 2005 Yeti ARC with Sram XO
17. 2007 Merlin Cyrene with Campy mix

man i didn't realize i had that many until now
but of course, you can never have to many bikes!

#212 ·
no name 16in jet back bike from walmart- got ran over
huffy flame- cracked head tube
trek hard tail mountain bike- junk yard some where
free agent hell cat bmx dirt jumper- still have
free agent race way bmx race bike- still have
mirra co blend 1 bmx street- still have
gary fisher mullit 07- still have
cannondale chase 3 05-still have

#213 ·
1. 1967 Schwinn Sting Ray ( someone stole it)
2. 1963 Schwinn 26 inch single speed. (Paper boy type bike)
3. 1969 Murry Sting Ray with 24 inch rear tire. ( Broke the frame)
4. 1971 Sears Dragster bike
5. 1995 Huffy Mt bike ( bought matching bikes for me & soon to be X-wife)
6. 1996 Nashiki Cascade Mt. Bike ( upgraded to XTR and had a set of Hope Hubs with Union Tye dye spokes on Mavic 217 rims.)
7. 1999 Mongoose FS Mt. bike ( won it but gave it to my daughter)
8. 2001 Gary Fisher Marlin ( Still have this one)
9. 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. ( just bought it})

#214 ·
1. Blue and Grey Huffy BMX 32 around 1985
2. Black chrome Predator BMX w/ cro mo main tubes circa 1987
3. Blue GT pro Series with 3 pc cranks bulldog brake Tiago comp III joytech hubs araya rims, bear trap peadals circa 1988
4. Elf Double cross BMX w/ 3 pc cranks, bulldog, etc from the pro Series build 1990
5. Ross Mt. Washington circa 1991
6. Miyata elevation 500 (bright orange) with STX components? c.1993-4 added an Manitou 3, contol stem and ahead set in 1994-5 geometry was horrible!
7. bought KHS aluminum frame built it up with the Miyata stuff, but got custom built wheels Nuke proof hubs with bladed spokes and sun rims (they were the coolest)! Ringle skewers of course. stolen circa 1998
8. Iron Horse G-spot "downhill" bike lx/xt manitou x vert triple crown
9. Iron horse MKIII sport 2007
10. GT Pantera 1992 converted to single speed....friend left it in my basement

...then the obsession begins....all bought within the last three months. i always wanted a GT from the 90's now I have too many

11. 1994 GT avalance Al buit with expensive stuff
12. 1996 Giant STX 990....tomacs old ride. robbed the xt stuff, sold it with lx stuff
13. 1995 GT pantera all original full STX
14. 1994 Zaskar all original full XT Mag 21 Blue Anno frame
15. 2001 Hive Bicycles titanium frame to be built with Cross max, white bros fork, XT/XTR. All of the stuff from my avalanche

In my BMX days I also had a revcore frame, and a lime green predator freestyle bike with white slicks 48 spoke rims, and a "rotor" the cheap mans giro.

#216 · (Edited)
carbuncle said:
Murray 24" BMX Cruiser in about 1982
Kmart-special hot pink and neon green MTB in about '90-'92
Sears branded "cross"(training) bike with MTB style and road wheels in '93, rode that thing all over Seattle when I first moved here.
Blue Shogun MTB, bought from Play It Again Sports in Northgate in '94, my first messenger bike and it came with those silly Scott MTB aero bar things (which later got cut off to about 20" wide for serious high speed whitelining)
Some kind of Diamond Back MTB, was neon orange when my friend bought it from a pawnshop at first and Pike, then he painted it rattle can green. Under heavy messenger work the rattle can got roughed off by constant locking and banging and the bike ended up a lovely multi-layered orange/green/bare steel mix. Lasted forever.
Kona Hahanna full rigid, tan, with the original Project Two fork. Great bike. Bought used from a friend mostly stock, ended up spec'ed with full XT and Syncros group with a CK threaded headset (purple, of course) before it got run over in Seattle's beautiful Lake Union neighborhood. It gave it's life for me, as that accident was the closest I have ever come to death (that I know about).
GT Avalanche, brushed aluminum, with a Ritchey rigid steel fork and the surviving remnants of the group from the Hahanna. Purchased for me by the driver in the above-listed accident's insurance company. Sold when I switched jobs and need some scratch, still regret selling the Syncros tubular cranks, seatpost and bar ends that were on it.
Kona Fire Mountain, red, the last year they were steel. Another great Kona frame, lasted through two years of messenger work, ended up full XT/LX with Salsa highlights. Replaced the crappy R(eally)S(uspect)T(echnology) fork with a Project Two rigid.
Iron Horse SGS Sport ('03). First freeride bike, not bad. Broke the frame after two seasons.
Kona Smoke Commuter. Yet another great steel Kona, still have this bad boy, which just became nearly all XT.
Iron Horse Yakuza Waka-Gashira. Not bad for a freeride hardtail, but ultimately too piggy to do it all. Sold it last September and still in the market for an All Mountain bike that can handle freeriding.
Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho. Good in a way, but too big for me. As an aside, I will never buy another single pivot bike.
Fetish Cycles Obsession DJ/park bike. Fun, light and single speed all the way!
'06 Transition Dirtbag, newest member of the family! It sports many aof the parts from the Kumicho, with Azonic Outlaw wheels and an X.7/Saint/RF Diabolus custom group.
Picked up an '06 Kona Coiler Deluxe to fit the AM need and it's working out spectacularly, and just replaced the Fetish with a Transition Trail or Park: I could never find my happy place with the Fetish and have always regretted selling my Giant '05 STP2 (I think I forgot to list that one, it falls between the SGS and the Kona Smoke) so hopefully the ToP will get me back there!

#217 ·
I'll limit the list to just mountain bikes:

1995 Balance AL-150
1997 Univega Team AL
1998 Specialized FSR Comp
2000 Specialized FSR S-Works
2001 Santa Cruz Superlight
2001 Da Bomb slalom bike (don't remember the name)
2002 Specialized BigHit DH
2002 Gary Fisher Paragon
2006 Kona Kikapu

#219 ·
Each bike has a story...I'll try to be brief :)
1. Yellow and black "bmx"-er with full plastic motorcycle racing plates and a banana seat (got to love the 80's!)
2. Diamond back bmx (my first chro-moly..so sweet! until my brother got one with pegs...lucky dog)
3. some cheap generic mountain bike that I bought with paper route money
4. Honda 75cc...oh, sorry, you mean the kind with pedals :)
6. early 90's Schwinn Highplains, GS 300 components, bio-pace (yeah buddy) (the first bike I ever went mountain biking on...got a flat on the rear tire on the trail w/ no patch kit, so took it off and and road the rim all the way home)
From here on out, it was mountain bikes (mostly)
7. 95' Schwinn Moab (returned after 1 week b/c the paint started chipping)
8. 95' Schwinn Sierra-STX throughout, Scott AT3 (great for carrying groceries) handlebars, Ritchey Rock 440 rims...still my favorite hardtail I've ever owned (say what you will) and one of the lightest chro-mo bikes I've ever seen
9. Diamond Back Ascent piece of poo
10. sweet three speed crusier
11. another three speed crusier that one of my friends chopped and made into a full-susser...too bad the frame broke
12. Centurion LeMans RS (don't know why I tried a road bike...)
13. Got my Sierra back from the guy I sold it to, put a trek dds3 on the front! (It weighed alot more after that)
14. '92 Trek 9000 that I traded a guy for after it went through a house fire...my first (real) full susser...DX all around except XT levers/shifters
15. '98 GT Zaskar (bought frame from LBS to ride around while Trek was back at the factory having brake post re-welded)
16. '94 Nishiki FS4 (got frame on ebay and built with parts from Trek, put Manitou Spyder-R on the front)..great ride till someone stole it
Current:
17. '03 Raleigh RAM, deore rear der., lx front der., deore discs, alex rims, WTB raptors, Manitou Axel FS, Risse Astro 5 RS...I've owned it longer than any other ride (coming up on 5 years now...almost have the wife convinced that it's time for a new new one :) )
Thanks for the trip down memory lane...

G
#220 ·
Since I started this post, and it is still kicking,, I'd thought I would give an update:

1. Schwinn Banana seat coaster brake (my first singlespeed!)
2. Schwinn 10 speed that could shift while coasting
3. Panasonic RX-4000 (car ran into me)
4. Performance Superbe Pro (bought with car accident insurance money)
5. Cannondale Road bike (bought from some Ironman guy our shop sponsored)
6. Miyata with old Shimano 600
7. Tommasini Super Prestige (wrecked into a signpost at 35 mph)
8. Marushi mountain bike with 6 speed Deore XT.
9. Fat Chance Wicked
10. Redline 24” cruiser
11. Trek 930 with Funk Big fork

............Long break with no bikes when I smoked cigs and ate too much junk food....................

12. Raleigh M-400 (got me back into riding, thank you! )
13. Tommasini Prestige (too small)
14. Marin Mount Vision (I hated full suspension so much that it started me on singlespeed, converted the Raleigh M-400)
15. Surly 1x1
16. Phobia Anxiety fixed gear mountain bike (bad name for a fixed gear mtb)
17. Raleigh Technium townie singlespeed with wicked witch of the west handlebars
18. Oschner fixed gear road bike
19. Tomasso fixed gear road bike
20. Mountain Cycles Zen (still hated full suspension, why did I build this bike?)
21. Surly Karate Monkey 29er singlespeed
22. Bianchi CUSS singlespeed
23. Specialized Stumpjumper singlespeed
24. Indigo Cycles road fixie (still have)
25. Indigo Cycles 29er singlespeed
26. Matt Chester Indie Rock Cross Bike
27. Trek Tandem
28. Carver 96'er
29. Black Sheep Fixie Commuter (still have)
30. Niner One9
31. Niner SIR9 (still have)
32. Salsa El Mariachi (should have today if DHL delivers :D )

God, I'm a bike wh0re...

#223 ·
I always had some sort of bike growing up... I think this list includes all of them.

12" Blue bike with white tires
16" Blue bike
20" Black Murray
20" Vinage Banana Seat Cruiser with ape hangers
24" Huffy Mt. Storm 10 Speed
26" Murray Cruiser
26" Huffy with front suspension (1995)
20" 2 Speed BMX
20" Old GT BMX with mag wheels (found abandoned)
20" Mongoose Freestyle BMX (destroyed)
20" Mongoose BMX (1999)
26" Vintage 3 Speed Comfort Bike
---Years pass---
26" Next Shocker (lamest one yet, but I still put over 600 miles on it)
29" Ibex Section 29
700c Ibex Classic 3300

#225 ·
Circa 1972 Generic 3 speed bike (learned to ride)
Circa 1976 Raleigh Arena 10 speed (first road rides, stolen)
Circa 1978 Unknown used frame (built up myself as a proto-BMX bike)
Circa 1980 Unknown used 10 speed (crashed into van, top tube bent beyond repair)

Smoked, drank, moved to USA, college; didn't ride....

1991 Diamond Back something (first "mountain" bike, stolen)
1995 Specialized Rockhopper (stolen)
1999 Nishiki Cascade (first suspension fork)
2000 Santa Cruz Heckler (first full suspension)
2001 Trek 1000 (for road rides)
2002 Bontrager Ti-Lite (great deal on a closeout)
2003 Redline Mono Cog (first singlespeed)
2004 Santa Cruz Blur
2007 Salsa El Mariachi (first 29er)

Oh, and a new Ibis Mojo frame that I've had for several years and haven't built up yet.

The Trek onwards are in my current stable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.