Holy cow at some of these lists. Awesome.
1967 Sears 20" Mustang with banana seat and ape hanger bars
1970 Philips 3 speed 28" wheel commuter
1980 Raleigh Grand Prix 10 speed road bike
1984 Kuwahara Apollo ATB 15 speed
1986 Cycle Tech Nova MTB with DX components
1988 Mongoose IBOC Pro with Deore XT
1992 Mountain Cycle San Andreas FS
1998 Norco Java hardtail
1999 Jamis Dakar Team FS
2000 Rocky Mountain Vertex hardtail *
2000 Rocky Mountain Instinct FS
2004 Rocky Mountain ETSX70 FS
2004 Brodie 1 Ball with Rohloff hub hardtail
2005 Rocky Mountain Blizzard hardtail
2005 Kona A FS with Rohloff hub *
2006 Kona A FS SS
2006 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 FS
2007 Rocky Mountain Vertex Team hardtail *
2007 Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC Canuck FS *
2007 Rocky Mountain ETSX Team FS *
Jeez, do you notice a trend...
* good thing I've never had room for more than a few at a time, I'm a serial bike polygamist
Huge Bike Guy Person Man
only 23, so i don't have a stellar collection yet.
-murray (forget what it was, the first department store back with a suspension fork iirc. dark navy blue/neon green)
-bmx2 tarantula (department store bmx bike)
-sequiota roubideoux (local shop steel frame)
-08 spec rockhopper (finally on something respectable!)
took years to convince my parents i needed something that didn't come from walmart/toys r us. bought the haro and gt with my own lawn mowing cash, got the sequiota off a friend for $50 and once i had a good job, and the sequiota stolen, bought the rockhopper and have been upgrading ever since.
Well, I have a decent list for being 22 years of age:
-Old ass Schwinn little kids bike from the 70's that had solid rubber tires with a banana seat
-Orange huffy that weighed a ton, and also had a sad excuse for a suspension fork
-Black huffy rigid that was my moms that I beat the **** out of, and eventually tacoed the rim going off jumps
-1970's mossbrow?? touring bike that was my dads, and one day he just gave it to the salvation army, still mad...
-1994 ross mt. hood mountain bike rigid siginature series, the first good mountain bike that I ever owned, and still own to this day but is inop.
-2002 trek 4500 that I upgraded every part on including converting to disc brakes, first really nice bike, sold it to my friend this past summer knowing that would be the perfect owner for it.
-2004 turner burner the first really nice American made bike that I owned and still own to this day.The only thing is this past spring the seat tube cracked by the lower shock mount, so turner warranted me a 08 turner flux along with the new rockers. Love this bike even more now.
-2005 fuji cross comp cyclocross bike that I still own and use for road training, some cyclocross, and also trail riding. Probably the most versatile bike that I own.
-06 redline monocog 26er, that is upgraded a bit with full discs, better wheels like a rear Paul comp word disc hub, and shimano xt/ mavic rim front wheel.
-Newly brought and being built this winter 07 salsa em merriachi frame set 29er. Plain to go crazy on the build with this bike, and use noting but the best.
That is all of them, except for my sisters ciginal bikes steel tank. Ten bikes, not bad for a 22 year old. I am also probably missing a few from very early on.
Bikes my dad bought me:
ross 16" bmx
fuji 24" wheel 10 spd
peugeot 49cm road with SIS, butted tubing.
Bikes I bought:
Columbia mountain bike from Herman's sporting good store. Took the bus to the mall, rode it home. Broke just about every part learning to ride. Good parts went on:
Jamis Dakota AL
Dagger FS, Easton Elite front tri with amp b3 rear. Crazy light, always broke. Weight weenie bike, lightest it got was 23.5 with coil f&r. Had some silly parts on that thing: Klein straatum pro carbon bars, flite evo 2 carbon seat.
Jamis Dakar- got as a backup frame because the Dagger was always cracking,
Klein Attitude, rigid trials setup
Klein Mantra, by far worst bike owned. Sold after 2 weeks
Iron Horse THS-1 dh, made by Foes, giant curnutt shock, 54t chainring!, dark grey XTR
Raleigh technium road bike, built out of the shop parts bin, free bike. Aluminum front tri, bonded to steel rear end. Came unglued doing rear wheel hops. Warranty frame was black aluminum race frame. Still have this as my commuter. 36h deepVs on campy hubs, bar end shifters.
Specialized FSR Elite. first Z1, full xtr, king hubs.
Marin b17, z1, van rc, hayes discs when they first came out
Kona Stab delux,
Santa Cruz Superlight
80's lugged Bertoni, fixed conversion. hot pink!
Santa Cruz Bullit
Iron Horse SGS DH
Iron Horse 7point
Turner DHR - current DH bike
Kona Explosif SS - current XC bike
Slow, Fat and Old
1967 vintage Schwinn Sting Ray
My Dad's old Schwinn Varsity
Sears Free Spirit - Stolen at college
Korean-made 10 speed I bought over there for $100.
Real Road Bikes
Trek Touring bike of some sort (my first "serious" bike"
Bianchi model something or other circa 1986 - back when you could get a road bike with Shimano 600 (now called Ultegra) on an actual $600 bike.
Gitane road bike - very nice bike - another victim of theft.
Trek 1500 - replaced the Gitane and I road it for 10 years
Trek 5200 - bought it in 1997 and still ride it on the road
Cannondale Aluminum road bike - not sure why I bought this one. Nice bike, but I didn't need another road bike, so I sold it.
1986 model Bianchi Grizzly - Complete with chainstay-mounted rollercam brakes - perhaps the worst idea ever in cycling history.
Giant Hard Tail of some sort. A big improvement on the Bianchi.
Trek Model 930 - Crappy components, but I got 3 years out of it without ever replacing a single part. Managed to sell it for $250.
Specialized Stumpjumper M2 - my first really nice MTB. I just took this one out of mothballs and had it fixed up to nearly-new condition. Road it for the first time in several years yesterday. Still a sweet ride.
K2 Razorback - my first dualie and a very nice bike. Too bad the frame kept cracking.
Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ - my regular ride for the the past 4 years until I bought my new baby, which is a:
Santa Cruz Superlight RXC - I bought this one last June and and loving it.
Sears MX (late 70's with black/orange fade paint and a moto seat, bent the frame jumping curbs)
BCA Freestyle (early 80's white and purple, broke the frame)
86 Haro FST (red, broke it in half on a quater-pipe)
87 GT Pro Freestyle Tour (chrome! boy I miss this bike, sold to a friend because my grades sucked)
87 Trek 800 (black with blue graphics, converted to singlespeed in 2001 until it cracked)
88 BCA 'racer' 10-speed roadie (sliver, donated to local bike works)
90 Schwinn Sprint roadie (teal, still in my parents garage)
99 Kona Nunu (back into MTB, my father rides it now)
01 Trek 1000 roadie (white/blue, my brother in law rides it now)
02 Yeti Kokopelli (grey and black, sold to a needy college kid for a song)
03 Santa Cruz Chameleon (red, sold in 2004 because it was too small)
03 BT Raven (trials bike, sold to fund the Vicious)
04 Vicious Slider Cross bike (puzzle paint- still have this one)
05 Giant STP (sold to fund the second chameleon)
05 Santa Cruz Chameleon (red again, sold to fund the XTC)
05 Surly Cross Check (was run over by an old lady in 7/08)
06 Giant XTC (great for short-track but sold to fund the Anthem)
07 Giant Anthem (sold to fund the el mar)
08 Surly Karate Monkey (Husker Blu -still have this one)
08 Surly Cross Check (replaced the one the lady ran over)
08 Salsa El Mariachi SS (current main ride- love it!)
Wow, thats more than I realized.....
1. Dyno Coyote (5th b-day, been addicted since)
2. Cheap Yellow BMX
3. Haro (freestyle, currently name is evading me)
3.Mongoose Ultra Storm
5 - 15. Misc bikes I found in trash cans and such.
16.Pro Flex 756
17.Schwinn Rocket 88
19.Schwinn (freestyle, forgot which one)
20. Dyno (20" dirt jumper)
21.Schwinn Super Sport
22. 1991 Haro Impulse
23 - 27 Misc found bikes
1) ~1987 Peugeot BMX-style kids bike 16" IIRC
2) 6 spd huffy 'mountain bike' style cheapo, 24" rims
3) Biscayne (? I think?) 26" mountain bike full shimano with canti brakes and indexed trigger shifters. ~1991
4) GT Mach 1 - red, road this for several years nearly exclusively as I got way into dirt jumping.
5) ~1994 Used 20" (WAY too big) Diamond Back frame with a Rock Shox Quadra 10 fork, XT components, and the first grip shift.
6) 1996 Performance M106 frame, full XT, rock shox judy DH (1997), XT V-brakes (first year). Custom built wheels XT hubs on red rhyno light rims. I was working at Performance at the time.
---------- hiatus from riding I never should have taken ------------
7) 2001 Specialized Big Hit Comp w/ Stratos S7, MRP, 8" hayes f/r, 165mm race face cranks. Killer freeride/light downhill setup- thing manualed for DAYS bombing down trails and pavement with the novelty 24" rear (that didn't roll over ANYTHING).
8) 2007 Raleigh Rush Hour SS/Fixed. Put about 25 miles on it and sold it as I moved to a super hilly area.
9) 2009 Giant Trance X2
1) some 1987ish blue walmart / toys r us brand bmx thing
2) 1990's GT interceptor upgraded pitbull breaks, DK neck, powerlite bars
3) 1990'sTreck 830
4) 1990's treck 9000 (purple with the lime green swing arm)
5) 1999 specialized stumpjumpper comp
6) 2006 specialized stumpjumpper FSR comp
7) 2008 kona unit SS 29er
Three out of the four voices in my head say, "Go for it!"
2010 Ventana El Comandante
08 Kona Unit 2-9
Esse quam videri
Let's see, as a semi-adult:
1. Schwinn Moab;
2. Specialized Epic;
3. Lemond Tourmalet
4. Orbea Onix
5. Niner E.M.D.
6. Astrix Rook
7. Turner Sultan
8. Lenz Leviathan 4.0
9. As a kid, I had the nicest schwinn bmx bike around...
10. Before the schwinn bmx bike, I had some other 20 incher, which was upgraded when my dad got involved with in the only bike shop in town.
You really wouldn't need much more that these two. Very nice taste, the SS gods approve and so do I!
Originally Posted by nspace
Alien Surf Team
I'm too old to remember but my first bike came from the police auction. I broke the frame jumping. My dad welded it and I broke it again. My dad welded it and... You get the idea.
1) Schwinn brown banana seat
2) Mongoose BMX
3) Diamond Back BMX
4) Schwinn ten speed
5) Raleigh hardtail mtb -black w/ bright splatter paint
6) Marin hardtail mtb -whiite w/ black splatter paint
7) Cannondale hardtail
8) '00 Kona Muni-Mula (cracked frame)
9) '03 Kona Muni-Mula (cracked frame in same spot)
10) '05 Kona Caldera (still have- grocery getter)
11) '06 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (I love this bike- and always will)
I really want a Turner RFX and a Niner 29er dual suspension.
Alien Surf Team
You guys had real bikes. My list is something like this...
1) The brown unknown brand weld-repair bike.
2) The beat-up red one with the torn banana seat.
3) The one I made from the parts Johnny gave me plus some tape.
4) The one with the bent frame that would only turn left and only 1 pedal.
I took good care of my stuff but all my parents could afford until I was about 13-14 was hand-me-down stuff.
Dont remember brand (but it had that cool azz mattel veroom thing) 1968/69
Another no name painted thing perhaps stolen & re painted?
Poguet 10 speed road bike or something like that. It had a lugged frame! used
Then years later....
Schwinn road bike dont remember the model
Falcon Black Diamond- family hand me down
Schwinn "Mirada" Stolen. see line 3 for payback
TREK 7000 hardtail
GT I drive XCR 2000
GT I drive 4.0 warrenty replacement for above
TREK ???? Y2K warrenty replacement frame for 7000
Niner RIP 9 (08)
Niner SIR 9 rigid SS assembled as I write this never ridden
Im with you on that- the only thing that made it so I could start affording nicer bikes was a double-paper-route!
Originally Posted by Razorfish
Still more updates
93 Cannondale M700
95 Klein Rascal
96 Trek Y-33
96 Manitou System DH
01 Iron Horse G-Spot
01 Schwinn Straight 6
02 Foes Fly
03 Intense Spider
03 Titus Quasimoto
03 Titus Quasimoto DH
05 Titus Moto-lite
05 Banshee Scirocco
06 Seven Duo
06 Ellsworth Moment
06 Gunnar Ruffian 29er SS
07 Niner RIP9
05 Seven Sola Ti (still have)
08 Ellsworth Tiruth (still have)
08 Ellsworth Moment (still have)
06 Ellsworth Rogue (still have)
07 Ellsworth Epiphany (still have)
08 Vassago Optimus Ti 29er SS (still have)
08 Sinister Ridge (still have)
and road bikes:
05 Orbea Lobular
05 Orbea Aletta Tri
06 Titus FCR Ti
07 Orbea Ora Tri (still have)
05 Seven Elium SG (still have)
"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03
Huffy unknown model black with green splatter paint
Unknown spraypainted black BMX bike
Mongoose BMX racing bike
Dyno comp freestyle BMX bike
Diamond back steel hardtail with a softride stem
Baracuda Mtn bike
Schwinn S96.1 hardtail mountain bike
Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail
Gary Fisher Rig
Trek 2100 roadbike
Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Pro
Jabberwocky SS (current and main bike)
Typing out that list I feel like I've had more bikes, but I think it's just the various builds I've had on each bike (though technically they have the same frames).
1. Early '80s Schwinn Stingray clone - Don't remember brand name. Blue w/white pin stripping, full fenders, banana seat, ape hangers
2. Mid-'80s BMX bike - Don't remember brand name. Chrome.
3. White department store MTB - Don't remember brand name. Stolen at school/
4. Columbia MTB - Red. High school commuter.
5. Mainland China SS cruiser - No brand name. Complete rubbish.
6. Trek 850 MTB. Still own. Commute to work every day on it, plus weekend rides.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010
lives to ride
1. 16" BMX (Still in the shed)
2. Standish MTB (must have been a 24" as I got it when I was young)
3. GT Avalanche with RST forks (was amazing back in the day)
4. Craftworks Slalom Pro
5. Schwinn BMX
6. Kona Coiler
7. Kona Smoke (converted to SS)
8. Morewood Izimu DH
9. Transition Trail or Park
10. On-One Il Pompino
11. Scott Scale 35
12. Haro Mary SS
I'm sure I've missed one or two though.
pony bike when i was little
scott sportster p3
author airline (cross bike, 2 years old)
kona caldera(15 days old)
Originally Posted by big_slacker
1. More big wheels than I can remember.
2. A purple Schwinn with a banana seat and 3 speed gear shifter.
3. Green 3 wheel Schwinn town and country. Used to deliver my news papers with that.
4. A Firenze Mt. bike from top of the hill Daily city. My bro got a car stereo and gave me the free bike.
5. Saved and saved and saved for a yellow and black Panasonic DX-5000?. Bought it from Palo Alto bike shop back when there we not so stuck up. Road the wheels off that thing till the frame broke at Alpine and Portola Rd.
6. Wised up and bought my first mt. bike. A Diamondback apex. Kind of a smoky purple camouflage with purple h2o cages. Dam it looked gay but hey it was the 80's.
7. A Pro-Flex 855. Road that bike into the ground.
8. A Specialized FSR elite.
9. Rocky Mountain Element.
Members who have read this thread: 66
- Liz Man,
- Sid Duffman,
- huckleberry hound,
- Chiang Mai,
- John Svahn,
- David R,