Ska
    Steel is real.

Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?

That's exactly what's happened to me. I'd lost my way. I think I've now snapped out of it.

A while back I came across a bike (with engine) that I was interested in. I had always wanted to do up a small moto to rip around town on and seeing as I've been surrounded by car restoration projects my entire life (my dad is hardcore V8 breath man) and motorcycle projects (several bike riding uncles) it was only a matter of time. It's been a looooooong time coming.

Well, this little bike popped up on-line ('71 Honda CB350) and I instantly knew what I'd do with it if I bought it. I drove out to check it out with a buddy of mine. I took it out, loved it, price was pretty fair for its condition, wife gave the green light.........so.......

I picked it up.

Once I got it home, I started going over it and amassing parts. I knew what I needed to do but was riding it continuously as the parts arrived. If I could do a job in short order, I'd do it to get it over with and ride it some more. Before long though, I was full-on. Sucked right in. The project that I was supposed to take my time with, tinker with, in my spare time, became all-encompassing. I was IN. I was driving my wife nuts. I was obsessed.

Every spare minute I had was spent working on it. Cutting, lowering, painting, chopping, fabbing parts, polishing (very difficult), powder coating parts, re-wireing, repairing, wrapping pipes, replacing worn parts, trips to a salvage yard in search of missing bits.

It was crazy.

At one point, I had 2 weeks off. With the kids back in school and my days to myself, I decided to move into my dad's garage. All the tools I needed were there and he gave me a bay to myself so I could work.

So, by the end of that 2 weeks, phase one of the build was complete.

When I came to my senses, I'd realized that I'd not touched any of my other bikes in a very long time. Longer than ever before and this really bothered me. Still does. The dust has settled on this phase of the project and there is still much to do. It's not even close to done yet but, for now, I'm riding it as is when I can but I'm pulling my BIKES out tomorrow for some real riding. I can't believe I did that. I feel awful about it.

I vow NOT to do that again during phase 2 of the build. It will take as long as it takes. I will not throw my fitness out the window for the sake of the project.

In saying that, I'm really diggin' this little ride too.

Tomorrow..........I'm on the Pugsley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-2.jpg  

Last edited by Ska; 10-07-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    That thing is cool as hell looking! Plus rep for you!

Titanium junkie
    I understand more than you know, don't let
    it blind you to what's important.
    Remember, you can't take it with you.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-turbo4.jpg  

Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

AZ
    banned
    Ahhh, makes one reminisce of Eric Rickman's Honda's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-rickman.jpg  

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post

Love-love-love that!

The only thing I hate about those old bikes from the 60s and 70s is the crappy drum brakes, which I'd change to disc. I like stopping too much.

I've been looking at updated reframed rz and rg 500s recently, and have no money to build one. Too bad I sold the bike below for $400 22 years ago. One cylinder had seized at the track but the bike still turned and started over once everything cooled down. Bah.....

Drew
    occasional cyclist

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Rickman frame, not stocker......my 1st street bike was a ' 73 750 four. Soon had an 812 kit. That Rickman also has a rear disc...

GPZ 750 Turbo.....that has to be atreat when the boost comes on. Definitely hits harder than my Gamma did.....

I remember..........

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been into motorcycles most of my life and this year I'm in the opposite situation. I rode my MTB more than my motorcycle and feel a little guilty for neglecting her. I do have a trip to the Skyline Drive coming up shortly, hopefully that will make up for it. Good job on that old honda!

mtbr member
    Great looking bike. I restore vintage sleds and have always wanted to attempt a bike.
    I know exactly what you mean about getting fully into a project. I usually feel the best about doing mine in spring or fall and that does conflict with some of the best MTBing weather. I worked on my 73 Gilson yesterday, so I think I'll go for a ride on the Mukluk today. Here is a 69 Yukon King I finished up a while back.

2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

mtbr member
    I completely understand your problem. I picked up a 2009 KLR650 eleven months ago and that was the end of bicycles for me until late September of this year. I even sold a bike I loved to fund motorcycle parts!

I recently took a rock to the radiator, putting the KLR out of comission until I can either get it fixed or get a new one. At least it helped me to rediscover the mountain bike I walk by in the living room on a daily basis.

I guarantee that, due to riding the motorcycle instead of the bicycles, I'm ten or fifteen pounds heavier and in worse shape than I was pre-KLR.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Vmaxx, what an unusual thing to restore. I had no idea. That old sled looks like it has the motor virtually in your lap. Where do you find parts for the old ones?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Vmaxx, what an unusual thing to restore. I had no idea. That old sled looks like it has the motor virtually in your lap. Where do you find parts for the old ones?

Drew
    I am not alone in this passion.
    As you might imagine it is more prominent in the northern states and Canada. It is nice to find complete sleds that have been parked and long forgotten about. But that does not happen often so the hunt for parts can be tough depending on age and rarity of model. It is half the fun in finding them sometimes.
    2010 Intense Spider 2
    2010 Ibis Tranny SS
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2
    2013 Salsa Spearfish 1
    2013 Trek Domane 5.2
    2014 Hakkalugi

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmaxx4 View Post
    Great looking bike. I restore vintage sleds and have always wanted to attempt a bike.
    I know exactly what you mean about getting fully into a project. I usually feel the best about doing mine in spring or fall and that does conflict with some of the best MTBing weather. I worked on my 73 Gilson yesterday, so I think I'll go for a ride on the Mukluk today. Here is a 69 Yukon King I finished up a while back.

DAMN!! That thing is sweet!

My dad and I were big into snowmobiling for a long time. Up until about 12 years ago or so. The oldest one I can remember was when I was a kid. We had a beater machine we used for getting wood for the fireplace. It looked very similar to that (blue and white though and I think only one light). I remember the the carb right there at your chest, or, in my case, in my face. It was a late 60's, or very early 70's Snow Jet. The thing took a serious beating.

The first machine my dad ever bought me was a brand new 1978 John Deere Spitfire. To this day, of all the sleds I've owned (and I've had many), that one still stands out above all others in my mind. Not sure why. I was 5 years old and yes, for those wondering, I had my own snowmobile at 5 years old. My dad had to start it for me though: I wasn't strong enough to pull the cord

Damn. You're making me want to get back into snowmobiling! hahahha

Unfortunately though, there is no longer enough snow in our area to justify it. Crazy how much our winters have changed.

Thanks for all the kind words folks!

Ska
    Steel is real.
    LMAO

You are clearly high right now, right?

WTF are you talking about?

EDIT: There was a post just before this that the mods have removed (good). That's what/who I was referring to. It was gibberish. Random words slapped together about weed or whatever so......

Anyway.
    Last edited by Ska; 10-10-2012 at 08:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    @ Ska- nice bike! I have my mom's old Honda awaiting me at granddad's farm. It's a 1969 (70 model year) CB750. I can't wait to get into it... Especially since it has been in the family since it was new!
    Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought a little newer ride 2 years ago, tore it down and rebuilt. '92 CBR 600F2 (yes, I know I put the Honda decal on the bottom on backwards - it was late, and i was just happy I was floating the graphics on well.):

I've got a '79 Yamaha XS650 with <9000 original miles that hasn't been ridden since 1986. A buddy just gave it to me. Had just been sitting in a garage for 26 years. I took it apart and then ran out of time for the build. Might get back to it this winter.

The pedal-powered haven't really taken a backseat to these, seems all my projects got de-prioritized last year when the wife and I found out we had a baby on the way. He's 9 months old now, and I still get time for a couple of rides a week. So , it's not too bad.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    @ Ska- nice bike! I have my mom's old Honda awaiting me at granddad's farm. It's a 1969 (70 model year) CB750. I can't wait to get into it... Especially since it has been in the family since it was new!
    What??

Can't wait?? DON'T!! Go get that thing, bro! Get workin' on it! Even if it's just a tear down for now. Get to know it, figure out what's workable and what's needed. I'm jealous!!

Very cool that you have that bike - especially since it's been in the family from day one. That's damn rad.

I'd be all over that if I were in your shoes

Actually VERY close to purchasing a CB750 as well. Stumbled across one that the guy is frustrated with. He's dumping it for next to NOTHING. I had him repeat to be sure I wasn't misunderstanding him. My wife is out of town so I don't want to buy it until she gets back. I really wasn't looking for another project but CB750's of that year done up right are one of my all time favs. I'd be nuts to pass this deal up in all honesty.

If I do get it, I will NOT lose sight though as mentioned before. I will be riding my MTB. Not just workin' these projects

Here are 2 early 70's CB750 for inspiration!!

GO GET IT!!

Cool bikes. And sound so damn sick. I want one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-old-school-engineering-cb.jpg  

Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-7159309840_1b734420bf_b.jpg  

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    I bought a little newer ride 2 years ago, tore it down and rebuilt. '92 CBR 600F2 (yes, I know I put the Honda decal on the bottom on backwards - it was late, and i was just happy I was floating the graphics on well.):

I've got a '79 Yamaha XS650 with <9000 original miles that hasn't been ridden since 1986. A buddy just gave it to me. Had just been sitting in a garage for 26 years. I took it apart and then ran out of time for the build. Might get back to it this winter.

The pedal-powered haven't really taken a backseat to these, seems all my projects got de-prioritized last year when the wife and I found out we had a baby on the way. He's 9 months old now, and I still get time for a couple of rides a week. So , it's not too bad.
    Cool!! Nice stuff! I love the XS's. A buddy of mine has been working on his XS650 for like 2 years. Full tear down, chop, machining a bunch of stuff, wiring cool bits in there etc. etc. He's a talented dude. His bikes are so nice. I rolled up into his driveway once I got this phase of my project done (i took the different approach of "rolling mockup" so I could ride AS I mod). He came out of the house, hardly said a word, focussed on the bike (he couldn't believe how much I'd gotten done in that time) took my helmet and disappeared for a good half hour! LOL

Came back smiling from ear to ear got off, backed away shaking his head and said "....holy F&^%! That is one FUN a$$ bike!" I was pumped by that statement. I feel the same way. You won't break any records off the line or do any wheelies with this bike but, God damn, it's surprisingly nimble and easy to whip around in the city. Fun as hell. In a town filled with Harleys, this bike stands out with the twin popping though those 12" shorty pipes too. Totally sounds like an old English bike. He's now jones'n to get his done by spring. I hope he does!

Cool that you've got an old bird too. We need to keep these things moving!

Congrats on the little one. I know what that's all about as well. I have 2 (3 and 6 years old now). Busy times but I wouldn't change a thing. Kids are the best thing that can ever happen to anyone. I love it.

Get to that project when you can. Have fun with it.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Ska; 10-10-2012 at 09:42 PM.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    Love-love-love that!

The only thing I hate about those old bikes from the 60s and 70s is the crappy drum brakes, which I'd change to disc. I like stopping too much.

I've been looking at updated reframed rz and rg 500s recently, and have no money to build one. Too bad I sold the bike below for $400 22 years ago. One cylinder had seized at the track but the bike still turned and started over once everything cooled down. Bah.....

Drew
    Thanks for that! I appreciate that It's been fun. Loads more to change but I'm having too much fun riding it right now.

As far as the disc brakes go, that is a possible future project as Honda moved to disc front end on the 350 in the K4 ('73 I believe) model year (mines a K3). The K4 front end bolts right on so I could rebuild the entire front end in the garage on the side and then swap it all over in a couple of hours once ready. I may very well do that, it's on the list but it'll just happen after a bunch of other stuff gets done.

$400?? Too bad indeed! There are a lot of things we all have gotten rid of that, if we could turn back time, we would have handled differently. I sooooooo regret selling one of my old bass guitars. If I could go back in time and kick the crap out of myself for doing it - I would. So freaking stupid. At least I got a good price for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome job on the cafe! Makes me want to cafe-tize my 2nd gen z 1000.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post
    $400?? Too bad indeed! There are a lot of things we all have gotten rid of that, if we could turn back time, we would have handled differently. I sooooooo regret selling one of my old bass guitars. If I could go back in time and kick the crap out of myself for doing it - I would. So freaking stupid. At least I got a good price for it.
    Yeah, it's funny looking back. It just didn't dawn on me that I owned a two stroke! I mean, christ they weren't even sold in the States! Maybe if I hadn't just split with an alcoholic fiance I might have had the brains to keep the bike, or the engine at least.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I really want to take my XS more in a flat-track or pseudo-sport build. something like Sanctuary's kawasaki builds, minus all the really expensive suspension bits.

If you guys don't already browse Bike Exif: www.bikeexif.com

Titanium junkie
    Someone say 2-stroke?

Might as well throw this in too.
    1979 XS1100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-suzuki.jpg  

Ever lose your way, snap out of it and then miss your bikes?-d-m.jpg  

Last edited by Loudviking; 10-11-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner