Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Ever have one of those rides

That make you think you should have stayed home? Worst ride of my life happened today. Hit a little jump on the side of the trail and boosted way higher and farther than usual landed on a sharp off camber and burped my back tire bad. Spent 15 minutes trying to get it to reseat on the bead without success. Said fornicate it and left it pumped up around 45psi hoping that the climb up would seat it, no dice.

Forgot to lower pressure, dropped into first run there's two rollers that both boosted me, feeling good and confident I attack the next turn and my back tire washes way out and I eat some blackberry bushes. NBD.

Ride back up to the top and try to fix my tire by deflating it and reinflating it tire slips the bead and I can't get it back on. I install a tube. Try riding the same trail again second roller boosts me and I land off the side of the trail and go down into some more blackberries. At this point I'm thinking just survive until the car.

Ride down a trail called OGDH which is fast loose and has lots of drops and wet roots and ride it pretty fast and clean maybe things are looking up. I get to a muddy section drift into the right hander and can't get my foot out of the pedal so I fell over in the mud. No pain just bruised pride and some confusion. At the bottom of the trail there's a short road climb to the bottom half of the trail halfway up my chain breaks!!! And I tip over again my right foot won't come out of the pedal again.

It's a downhill section so I figure NBD I'll just ride it chainless, about halfway down the home stretch my right foot slips the pedal I survive without going down. I look down and my cleat is still in the pedal.

So I get to the connecting trail and push my bike along like a skateboard. Damn, I should have stayed home but getting out is still better than sitting on the couch so.

Can't wait to ride tomorrow!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Wow.
    Hopefully that one ride clears you of any more such problems for the rest of the season!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I didn't do it
    I can't say that I've ever had one of those rides. Way to hang in there.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    May 2010

I haven't had a mechanical in probably 2 years. I guess having them all in one day is the best way to deal with them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Over the summer I was staying with my parents and conned my dad into giving me a ride to the base of one of our local fire road climbs so that I could climb my way up and then have some fun on the way down before taking a fun little singletrack back through a canyon which finishes close to their house.

The climb was awesome, it was the middle of race season so I was feeling strong and totally crushed the 4,000 feet up. At the top of the mountain I was stoked and ready for my well-earned 13 miles of descent. I set off and was ripping down the backside when after about a mile I felt the familiar, squibbly feeling of a flat rear tire (I know, I should've run tubeless, but my bike is a few years old and the wheels aren't good tubeless candidates - I had already tried). So, I figured, no big deal, I had a tube so it was just a few minutes of my time that would be wasted while I fixed the flat. Once the flat was fixed I set off once more only to have another mile go by before I flatted my front tire. Now I was really in for it.

I was exactly in the middle of my 30 mile ride which meant my options were either 15 miles of walking in either direction, or, call my dad and see if he could drive the 15 miles up the fire road to the top of the mountain to pick me up. I chose the latter. As I scrambled up the side of the mountain searching for a cell signal I rejoiced when I finally picked up a bar. Desperately, I dialed my dad's number. At last he picked up and I explained my situation. Fortunately, he agreed to make his way up to me in the car (my parents are pretty awesome) so I figured it would be smooth sailing from here on out - WRONG!

Since it was the middle of the summer in Southern California, the mid-day heat was rapidly approaching. As the temperature climbed to around 95, I set off in search of shade since I had neglected to wear any sunscreen (I had planned for the ride to be over by 10:30 am). As I trudged back up the fire road, I finally found a shrub that was slightly taller than the others and crawled my way into the shade.

Not 10 minutes later I see a pickup truck come driving up the fire road. "What luck!" I say to myself as they pull up and ask if I need some help. As I explained my situation, still overjoyed at the sight of another human, the driver eyed my full UNC-Chapel Hill kit (that's where I go to school) and, when I had finished describing my plight, he said he would glad to help me; however, there would be one condition. Hesitant, I lifted my eyebrows as if to say, "You leave me with little choice, let's hear it." It was then that he cracked the evil smirk of a true Blue Devil and pulled up a baseball cap in the most hideous shade of royal blue complete with the universal symbol of evil embroidered proudly on the front. That's right, it was a DUKE Blue Devils hat and his provision of help hinged on my willingness to wear the hat while they gave me a ride to the top where I would meet my dad.

With little choice, I donned the hat and sat in the bed of the pickup. So, while I sat there in my Carolina kit and atrocious Duke hat I couldn't help but think that this was as bad as it could get...once again, I was wrong.

As I reached the top and met my dad I threw my bike into the bed of my brother's small pick up truck that he had elected to drive. Happily returning the Blue Devil hat to its owner and thanking him for the ride, I felt like I could finally rest knowing that in just an hour or so we would be back on asphalt and driving home. However, the mountain was unsatisfied.

About 1/4 of the way down we pulled over at a wide region in the road to inspect the car. We were both suspicious and had a feeling that we had flatted, but neither of us dared to voice these thoughts. As we exited the truck on our respective sides we simultaneously said, "Yup, the flats over here." Our expressions turned to horror as the gravity of what the other had said settled in...two flats and only one spare.

We set to work repairing one of the flats (a precarious undertaking on a mountain fire road) and removed the other wheel hoping that someone else would be around to give us a ride. Not much later, the Dookie (nickname for a Duke fan/student) who had given me a ride to the top of the mountain stopped next to us and offered to take my dad into the shop so he could get the tire repaired - what a guy right?! Fast forward three hours, my dad returned in my car with a fresh tire for my brother's truck and we finally made it off the mountain just as the sun was setting.

Man, that was a hell of a day and one I hope I never repeat....but seriously, what are the chances that, 3000 miles away from North Carolina, the one guy in a pick up truck on a fire road in the middle of the Cleveland National Forest is a Duke fan?! Luckily, he turned out to be a pretty cool dude.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by chugachjed View Post
    ,,,,,, Worst ride of my life happened today. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I should have stayed home but getting out is still better than sitting on the couch so. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Can't wait to ride tomorrow!
    Nice push, No blood, broken bones You can ride tomorrow !

Miss judged a jump, betcha won't do that for a while.

I went back to a good set of flat pedals and shoes made for the ride.
    Got tired of cleats hanging me up.

Great ride story :P
    Scott Spark 760
    I no longer clip In,
    got a better seat, and a dropper post.
    Other than It's Bone stock.
    It Just works :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    On the fourth ride with my new bike, I crashed 3 times, got a dent (small and superficial, just annoying to look at though) in the top tube, and totaled my rear wheel. All in the course of ~2 hrs, and I didn't have a spare set of wheels yet so I was off the bike for 2 weeks waiting on the new rim.

restless
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    On the fourth ride with my new bike, I crashed 3 times, got a dent (small and superficial, just annoying to look at though) in the top tube, and totaled my rear wheel. All in the course of ~2 hrs, and I didn't have a spare set of wheels yet so I was off the bike for 2 weeks waiting on the new rim.
    Holy shyt, pearce. Perhaps you should have tried the old bike without the training wheels for a bit, before hopping right onto the new one.
    but it doesn't matter.

Magically Delicious
    I think Ferris Bueller might have said it best:
    "Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the phuck!"
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

epic member
    I've broken bones, torn things, bled a lot, pushed many bikes back to the trailhead, and actually thought I was going to die once.
    Can't wait for this season to begin.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    I've broken bones, torn things, bled a lot, pushed many bikes back to the trailhead, and actually thought I was going to die once.
    Can't wait for this season to begin.
    That, my friend, is the quintessential description of 'Passion'.

epic member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    That, my friend, is the quintessential description of 'Passion'.
    I'm thinking masochism but passion does sound better.

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yeah when yer young you think your gonna live forever and nothing can stop you, so you bleed and snap a bone or two, dent the bike, pretzel a wheel or two..

Back It off to 85-90% max throttle, find the flow

You spend less money and get to ride more..

Remember this bit-o-wisdom:

All the things you break or sprain or strain or twist before your thirty
    will come back to haunt you when your 50 and never let you forget how silly you were for thinking you were ever Immortal :P

I don't Intend to leave a good looking corpse behind but Untill this sack of meat I walk around in goes cold I want to be able to move about under my own power :XD
    Scott Spark 760
    I no longer clip In,
    got a better seat, and a dropper post.
    Other than It's Bone stock.
    It Just works :P

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    Yeah when yer young you think your gonna live forever and nothing can stop you, so you bleed and snap a bone or two, dent the bike, pretzel a wheel or two..

Back It off to 85-90% max throttle, find the flow

You spend less money and get to ride more..

Remember this bit-o-wisdom:

All the things you break or sprain or strain or twist before your thirty
    will come back to haunt you when your 50 and never let you forget how silly you were for thinking you were ever Immortal :P

I don't Intend to leave a good looking corpse behind but Untill this sack of meat I walk around in goes cold I want to be able to move about under my own power :XD
    Couldn't have said it better
    No moss...

Magically Delicious
    Age and wisdom will always overcome youth and treachery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Holy shyt, pearce. Perhaps you should have tried the old bike without the training wheels for a bit, before hopping right onto the new one.
    Haha you sound like my friend. The thing is, the new bike is a nice full suspension rig, and a significant step up from my old entry level hardtail, which I love dearly but is quite frankly falling apart. I got cocky with the new bike, thought I could hit all the technical features and jumps now magically because I had full squish. It ended as I described above. I am just thankful that I didn't mess anything serious up, on the bike or myself. The wheelset it came with wasn't the greatest and I had planned on replacing them anyways, so that's more an annoyance than anything. In a way, I'm glad to have that small ding in my top tube now. It should serve as a reminder that I am not a World Cup Downhiller, and I need to be aware of my limitations and not be an idiot. Not to say that I'm not going to strive to improve, but I need to remember that you need to be able to hit the smaller features with confidence before you go straight to attempting to clear flattops and such.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I can't say that I have many rides where I wish I stayed home, even when I had to bail out via ambulance

The only times I have those rides is when I drive to the trails and realize I forget something or the bike has a mech failure. Nothing to piss me off like forgetting my clip less shoes an hour from home

restless
    Haha you sound like my friend. The thing is, the new bike is a nice full suspension rig, and a significant step up from my old entry level hardtail, which I love dearly but is quite frankly falling apart. I got cocky with the new bike, thought I could hit all the technical features and jumps now magically because I had full squish. It ended as I described above. I am just thankful that I didn't mess anything serious up, on the bike or myself. The wheelset it came with wasn't the greatest and I had planned on replacing them anyways, so that's more an annoyance than anything. In a way, I'm glad to have that small ding in my top tube now. It should serve as a reminder that I am not a World Cup Downhiller, and I need to be aware of my limitations and not be an idiot. Not to say that I'm not going to strive to improve, but I need to remember that you need to be able to hit the smaller features with confidence before you go straight to attempting to clear flattops and such.
    Throw a pair of Minions on it and you'll do stupid things on it all over again, lol. Now that you've dinged it up a bit you're good to go, always gotta get that first scratch.
    but it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Throw a pair of Minions on it and you'll do stupid things on it all over again, lol. Now that you've dinged it up a bit you're good to go, always gotta get that first scratch.
    I'm running the High Roller IIs that came on it, but I'll probably replace the rear with a Minion DHR once it wears out.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Today was so much better! I did have a crank arm fall off but shimano cranks are known to do that only takes a minute to reinstall. 16 segment PRs today so yea. Booya! Redemption.

restless
    I'm running the High Roller IIs that came on it, but I'll probably replace the rear with a Minion DHR once it wears out.
    I like a DHR rear better than HRII, but I'm really liking a DHF on the rear. Of course, DHF rocks on the front. In AZ anyway.
    but it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    May 2010

My first ride ever on a 29er I tacoed the front wheel and tumbled into the bushes. I stopped at a bike shop on the way home and they had another Stan's Flow so I relaced that night and I wrecked the back wheel the next day!

Some of you guys must push way harder than me. I've never broken a bone or had to ride an ambulance after a ride. I've driven myself 50 miles to the hospital though after one spectacular crash. I'm always riding solo so I'm about 80% speed usually.

I attest my luck to having learned how to fall in Kung Fu skateboarding skiing and snowboarding. (Knocks on wood) I always seem to cartwheel right between the trees/rocks.

All bike, all the time
    They say bad things happen in threes. In your case maybe it's twelves...
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Years ago I drive to the local trail - got out - realized I forgot my front wheel. Drove home and got the wheel. Came backout to the trailhead. Proceeded to ride 1/4 mile down the trail before I hit something and totally tacoed the front wheel. Should have stayed home that day.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Age and wisdom will always overcome youth and treachery.
    You are SO getting + rep for that!
    "Cut my pie into four pieces. I don't think I could eat eight." Yogi Berra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast