Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009

... and if we just ... The escape to SSedonalicious Day 3

After mother natures fulmination of hail/snow and rain in Flagstaff, we once again evacuated from our campground in Mt. Elden. We immediately looked at Sedona as safe haven from the storm. After looking online and saw that the weather was cooling off. We hightaled down the 17 highway and got to Sedona within minutes. Searching for a campsite during this holiday proves to be a daunting task. So we camped primitively in one of the parks trailhead soon after visiting Sedona's Oak Creek brewery.

We both wanted an early start for a much cooler weather and also to get a head start on the drive back to San Diego. With had wheels rolling by 6:00AM and had the trails all to ourselves.

It's so awesome to just see the sun rising from the horizon and illuminating the red rocks in the canyon.

After a short rocky climb, we get onto some slickrock and played around a bit.

Then we stopped to check out the views of the canyon. Sedona is an amazing place.

We mostly rode on slickrocks that had some technical aspects to it. Some had steep off camber exit with a bit of trail exposures but the views were excellent

Dont crash, it's a loooong way down!

The further you get above the canyons, the views get better. Here we are making our way down the canyon.

The weather around 8:00am was in the mid 70's already. I'm sure same time last week, it was in the 90's.

We inched our way down the canyons and the exposure becomes a lot more gnarlier. Alib didn't didn't like all that exposures. I don't blame her, one false move and you are done for. There was definitely a section i didn't mind walking.

After some close calls and near misses, we've made our way down and working on our way out of the canyon. We rode mostly on some old run off waterfall sections.

The descent back to our cars was a lot fun and it definitely had some technical sections.

As we approach the last hundred yards of our ride. We stopped and remembered those who sacrificed their lives and unconditionally gave so much so that My wife and I can continue to enjoy our way of life. Thanks to those who served and continue to serve!

It has been an amazing trip! Met a ton of cool people and enjoyed some micro-brewed beers. Poached campgrounds for showers and a 5 star hotel's pool, experienced hail/snow in July....this trip goes into the book for sure.

Professional Speed Bump
    Awesome!

This one goes on my todo list!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    wow great photos...i need to get down there sometime

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Nice, which trail is that?

wannabee
    WOW! in 1000 font size. I have a week off soon.........

Stucco Bucket
    Looks like you picked some nice trails to ride there.
    I never would have guessed Sedona over Flagstaff in July.
    The tone mapping seems a bit strong on these. Anyone else?
    A

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Nice, which trail is that?
    Great pictures of Sedona .

The first picture looks like the start of Munds Wagon trail. Pictures two through sixteen start on the easy to the the super techie sections of Cow Pies. Fifthy yards ahead of picture nine is a really techie section that is shown in this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJuufxkAH8 . Very few riders make that section, I personally always ride the lower spot where I am filming the video and the rider rides down to. It gets really difficult to ride in front of that spot he made look so easy if you say high.

The whole Cow Pies section is totally rideable, but it has consequences if you screw up.

I am curious where the OP went after they got across Cow Pies? There are no pictures of the Damifino saddle, which is one of the most scenic spots in Sedona and the Hangover trail is just below the saddle. After picture sixteen they are riding downhill on Munds Wagon, but they are about 3 miles from the other pictures.

TD

mtbr member
    Wow amazing photos! This landscape is simply... beautiful!
    Sorry for my lousy English. Please feel free to point out my errors.

mtbr member
    Those pics are amazing! One day Im going to go Jeepin' and biking on slickrock!
    I ride faster than I should...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Great pics and post. Thanks!

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    Moab is a great place for spme Jeepin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon73 View Post
    Those pics are amazing! One day Im going to go Jeepin' and biking on slickrock!